• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colombia, FARC rebels to sign ceasefire agreement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Colombia's government and FARC rebels announced a ceasefire agreement Wednesday that would end five decades of bloody conflict while negotiators reach a final peace deal.

Colombian officials made the announcement in Havana, where the two sides have been negotiating since November 2012 to end the civil war that has killed or displaced hundreds of thousands of people.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/06/22/americas/colombia-farc-ceasefire/index.html

FYI, this conflict has been going on for more than fifty years.

Ahasverus

Don't get to excited, our pussy president was afraid of losing his (extremely low, almost nonexistent) popularity and decided to cast a vote on this (whole having faculties to just make it an executive order).
Yes, this could turn into a BREXIT if people vote no, because of course, our dear criminal ex president Alvaro Uribe is campaigning against it (can't accept somebody else stole his thunder and his war policies can be left behind). He is the far right leader and has lots, lots of followers who could ruin it for everyone.

Let's hope people are not THAT DUMB to nullify the agreements with popular vote in the ballot.

It's not a perfect treaty, but it works, and puts an end to an old, old war. It's a once in a lifetime chance.

Niks

Nah, people are tired of this piece of shit war.
The anti peace movement gained momentum because the peace talks were taking fucking forever, but now that there end is in sight people will vote in favor.

I hope.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Don't get to excited, our pussy president was afraid of losing his (extremely low, almost nonexistent) popularity and decided to cast a vote on this (whole having faculties to just make it an executive order).
Yes, this could turn into a BREXIT if people vote no, because of course, our dear criminal ex president Alvaro Uribe is campaigning against it (can't accept somebody else stole his thunder and his war policies can be left behind). He is the far right leader and has lots, lots of followers who could ruin it for everyone.

Let's hope people are not THAT DUMB to nullify the agreements with popular vote in the ballot.

It's not a perfect treaty, but it works, and puts an end to an old, old war. It's a once in a lifetime chance.

Yeah, Brexit also comes to my mind.

However, out of a recent survey, it's expected that 35% of the population will vote, and of those, more than half (IIRC, like 60%) will vote to accept the agreement. Here's hoping this holds.

New era for Colombia, definitely. I'm excited for my country.

There are points in the agreement that specify improvement of conditions for agriculture workers, and work to reduce corruption networks due to drug trafficking.

I doubt everyone involved in both parties agree to this. Fighting will probably break out again.

The military forces have definitely had more restraint, however out of thousands of rebels in the FARC, it would seem only a minority do not want the treaty to go through. The government has pretty much said that whatever rebel does not meet the deal's requirements will probably face death in military confrontations.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I will wait to see what was agreed on the peace treaty before sticking with yes or no

Do read the treaty yourself rather than listening to either side. Both sides in the political spectrum are pretty much running "you're either with us or against us" campaigns.

Even certain big profile news networks seem to run disinformation campaigns.

Ahasverus

I doubt everyone involved in both parties agree to this. Fighting will probably break out again.
Colombian army is one of the best in the world, so a 1000 people rebel group is not a problem for 80.000+ highly trained soldiers. 50.000 rebels on the other hand certainly are.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
The speeches from representatives of the government and the FARC are on live TV right now.

I like how there's an emphasis on the suffering that women and other marginalized groups have gone through. Also, the FARC representative thanking and asking the USA to help keep the peace, 5 years ago I would've laughed at the notion of that hahaha.

Colombian army is one of the best in the world, so a 1000 people rebel group is not a problem for 80.000+ highly trained soldiers. 50.000 rebels on the other hand certainly are.

I think the FARC has more or less 7000 foot soldiers. (well basing on the reunion the FARC is supposed to have with its members)

Only like one platoon of a couple dozens soldiers or so have said they do not want the treaty. So, as you said, no problem for the army.

Ahasverus

I think the FARC has more or less 7000 foot soldiers.

Only like one platoon of a couple dozens soldiers or so have said they do not want the treaty. So, as you said, no problem for the army.
For real? Wow those are some efficient rebels :eek: I could have sworn they were in the tens of thousands. It's the damn terrain, we got fucked with the whole jungle + mountain chain thing, makes things very difficult. Let's hope they are not very hard to deal with.

DJ88

I haven't lived in the country, so I can't speak much to the subject, but I'm still really glad to hear this news.

NeOak

The army is great. The generals had to be spanked by Uribe when the BS about "battalion's limit lines" existed and allowed guerrillas to get away when they were being chased.

And other things. Jungle warfare is a bitch. Just ask the US Army.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
The army definitely isn't without its problems. Specially with the false positive controversy when Uribe offered monetary reward per dead rebel. EDIT: And yeah, the US Army values the skills of the Colombian army enough to send people here to get training.

For real? Wow those are some efficient rebels :eek: I could have sworn they were in the tens of thousands. It's the damn terrain, we got fucked with the whole jungle + mountain chain thing, makes things very difficult. Let's hope they are not very hard to deal with.

Reading through Wikipedia, looks like their peak numbers were 18K people a couple of years ago.

Ahasverus

The army is great. The generals had to be spanked by Uribe when the BS about "battalion's limit lines" existed and allowed guerrillas to get away when they were being chased.

And other things. Jungle warfare is a bitch. Just ask the US Army.
True. Uribe did great things for the army, he just pretty much fucked in every other way (Including the moral fabric of the army, with the whole rewards for kill, which turned into killing innocents and paint them as terrorists for money), and he keeps doing it, which makes me fume.

He could have just surrounded himself with good people during his tenure and retire as an iconic president, but instead he chose the worst criminal scum as advisors and due to his great pride he got involved into some cover up stuff that is just criminal, and of course, he's becoming really annoying as a far right leader, even regressing on his own lgbt and health policies.

Let's hope for the love of god he and his army of followers don't screw this up.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I don't even think Uribe's problem is about surrounding himself with bad people, considering his own brother is under investigation for paramilitary links. I really think he's a bad person.

Like holy shit, the guy asked the government not to involve Amnesty International (or another human's rights group) in the investigation of a corrupt politician, after he and his party cried political persecution, because he had issues with the head of said human's rights group. His government, IIRC, is one which broke a lot of human's rights.

One of the people involved with his protection detail was involved with the assassination of Jaime Garzon, one of the most important journalists in the country. The DAS (something like the equivalent of the FBI, I guess) had to be shut down because during his administration, journalists and opposition politicians were spied upon. Several of his ministry heads are under investigations for corruption.

His party (which he's pretty much the leader and the raison d'etre) hired a hacker to spy the current peace treaty in order to run a propaganda campaign to sabotage it, in election year. Something that can only remind me of Nixon's sabotage to the Vietnam war peace talks.

Ahasverus

I don't even think Uribe's problem is about surrounding himself with bad people, considering his own brother is under investigation for paramilitary links. I really think he's a bad person.

Like holy shit, the guy asked the government not to involve Amnesty International (or another human's rights group), after he and his party cried political persecution, because he had issues with the head of said human's rights group. His government, IIRC, is one which broke a lot of human's rights.

One of the people involved with his protection details was involved with the assassination of Jaime Garzon, one of the most important journalists in the country. The DAS (something like the equivalent of the FBI, I guess) had to be shut down because during his administration, journalists and opposition politicians were spied upon. Several of his ministry heads are under investigations for corruption.

His party (which he's pretty much the leader and the raison d'etre) hired a hacker to spy the current peace treaty in order to run a propaganda campaign to sabotage it, in election year. Something that can only remind me of Nixon's sabotage to the Vietnam war peace talks.
"bu-bu-but he tells it like it is!" Reminds you of somebody?

He's the unholy amalgam of Thatcher, Putin and Trump.

The Lamp

Doesn't the treaty promise some of them positions or influence in the government? Couldn't that be trading violence for more corruption in the government?

As much as peace is coveted, some would argue it can't come at the cost of corruption or justice.

But then again, peace may never come if you want perfect justice hinging on vengeance.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
"bu-bu-but he tells it like it is!" Reminds you of somebody?

He's the unholy amalgam of Thatcher, Putin and Trump.

Worst of all is that he's smart and so it's easier to fall for him. Heck, I was a supporter just a couple of years ago. It was only when I started to analyse, to say "ok, which part is progressive, who is right-leaning, why was that administration successful" I started to realize his administration success was based on luck, since the price of oil was pretty good through those years for our exportations.

God, not to mention his push against LGBT rights. Fuck that party.

Doesn't the treaty promise some of them positions or influence in the government? Couldn't that be trading violence for more corruption in the government?

As much as peace is coveted, some would argue it can't come at the cost of corruption or justice.

But then again, peace may never come if you want perfect justice hinging on vengeance.

Yeah, people don't really look at it from the corruption view, but rather from the "we're gonna have a human's rights abuser in our congress/senate?", without really taking in account we already do heh. Also, according to the treaty, there certain crimes under the Rome Treaty that cannot have amnesty (such as murder, kidnapping, torture, etc), so if all goes through, there'll be justice, resolution and reparation to the victims.

Colombia's justice system is not based on vengeance but rather re-education and reintegration, so there's that as well (even though it doesn't work in practice, but that's for another day).

Ahasverus

Worst of all is that he's smart and so it's easier to fall for him.
He's a genius. No doubt about that. Hitler was one too though.

I'm just reading the agreements right now, they sound good enough for now, for what I understand, as it's the whole idea to turn the FARC from rebel guerilla into a legitimate into a political movement (as their justification was that they were simply not heard) they will have 4 direct positions in congress for two terms, the first one with no vote (but voice) and the second one with whole faculties BUT will have to be earned by popular vote. That sounds really tame as there are no more political concessions. The negotiators were damn wizards, I suppose the guerrilla heads were just promised asylum in Cuba and such they were far more lenient in their demands.

Gotta keep reading though. If you're interested here is the whole text

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I'm just reading the agreements right now, they sound good enough for now, for what I understand, as it's the whole idea to turn the FARC from rebel guerilla to a legitimate into a political movement (as their justification was that they were simply not heard) they will have 4 direct positions in congress for two terms, the first one with no vote (but voice) and the second one with whole faculties BUT will have to be earned by popular vote. That sounds really tame as there are no more political concessions. The negotiators were damn wizards, I suppose the guerrilla heads were just promised asylum in Cuba and such they were far more lenient in their demands.

Gotta keep reading though. If you're interested here is the whole text

Thank you! I gotta read through this.

Yeah, I keep seeing in RCN and Caracol (two of the big TV news networks) and politicians there (most of Uribe's party, Centro Democratico) keep saying how we're giving the country to the FARC. Lmao, what you just said, Ahas, proves otherwise.

Ahasverus

Uribe is the fucking devil no doubt... but goddamn, he was a necessary evil at the time.
No argument against that. We needed him. But we surely don't now, and he's still there ruining the party for everyone. Man, just fucking retire.

lmbotiva

No argument against that. We needed him. But we surely don't now, and he's still there ruining the party for everyone. Man, just fucking retire.
He's probably the best president ever for colombia, at least the only one who had the balls to take it against those terrorists and got them so weakened that they ended up asking for a peace treaty

Ahasverus

He's probably the best president ever for colombia, at least the only one who had the balls to take it against those terrorists and got them so weakened that they ended up asking for a peace treaty
You mean the best president for the army, because for the rest of the population he

- Screwed the whole health system cutting the public funds for it and created the dreaded third party healthcare model.
- Cut funding for higher education.
- Destroyed the workers rights, erasing all trace of protection and paid benefits like night hours.
- Signed a Free Trade Agreement with a country we were never in a million years, ready to compete with, destroying thousands of jobs and making the country a prime target for lowballed foreign acquisitions.
- Raised retirement age by 8 years.
- Raised the sales tax.
- Raised the bank services tax.
- Lowered corporate tax.
- Sold off most statal companies.
- Prosecuted opposition and spied on them like good old Nixon.
- Favored his rich friends with millions in state subsidies while taking away properties form legit, small owners (The guy involved in this just got caught in the US today)
- Based the long term financial projections of the country on oil prices, while never being an oil producer.
- Gave away many mining concessions to foreign companies which have caused terrible environmental disasters.
- Used his position to create free trade zones while his children forcefully bought companies in said zones.
- Indirectly caused the murder of hundreds of innocents by promoting the cash payments for unverified rebel killings.

And many, many many terrible things more.

You might think those neoliberal politics were for the greater economic good, wouldn't you? wrong, even after him, poverty levels were pretty much the same and workers just got it worse than ever before, with the middle class pretty much going extinct.

The thing with him is very simple, the everyman is far worse after him, but doesn't notice it, while he uses the patriotic and emotional side to rise their spirits. That's pretty much Hitler's playbook.

There's a reason why almost all his "advisors" are either in jail, prosecuted or in hiding.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
There's so much shit in that list, I forgot almost half of those! No wonder why people like Trump talk crap all the time, the Average Joe will just forget most.

Purkake4

Banned
Hope more people read up on this and realize how big of a precedent this is. Coming together after 50+ years of bitter conflict and discussing the issues on both sides in great detail and coming up with a decent compromise while some fighting is still going on takes some serious doing.

Once the referendum is done, this will hopefully be an example to follow elsewhere.

IfritTower

Neo Member
As imperfect as any peace treaty of this kind is going to be, pretty much all of the family back in Colombia I've talked to are very glad the conflict will be coming to an end.

Ahasverus

Isn't FARC more of a drug cartel than a revolutionary army these days? How does this agreement affect the drug trade?
The FARC are lots of tiny groups (called "fronts"). Some fronts are cartel like while others are still revolutionary. The cartel fronts are not pleased with the agreement so they said they were not going to sign it, however with the heads in, the military has all the intelligence they need. Moreover, the drug stuff is not a FARC monopoly, there are other groups, armed and not, that will be still going at it. There has been some push from the government to legalize Marijuana and coke (the plant) so who knows, maybe there won't be a need for cartels soon.

There are no "both" parties.

There's at least five different groups all fighting to stay in power. The most dangerous one, those who follow Alvaro Uribe, could sabotage the peace talks by getting people to vote "No" on the upcoming referendum.

A country voting against its own peace.

Lol, during his time he killed seven times as many citizens as the guerrilla did during its whole existence.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Lots of people voting No in my Facebook feed :(

Here's hoping Yes people do vote.

clemenx

Banned
I truly hope it turns out fine for you my hermanos but I'm sadly with Uribe on this. Santos is a farce. Hope this doesn't come biting in the ass for you guys, I wouldn't worry about the vote as I'm certain that the YES is going to win.

Maybe I'm just traumatized and paranoid as a Venezuelan that has lived through his country being utterly destroyed by (mostly) former guerrilleros but there's a lot of red flags there.

I came here to bump the thread, but I see it's been done. Pray for a win on Sunday.

Maybe I'm just traumatized and paranoid as a Venezuelan that has lived through his country being utterly destroyed by (mostly) former guerrilleros but there's a lot of red flags there.

Venezuela destroyed its institutions before plunging into misery. Colombia has none of that. Ironically, the president closes to achieving this has been Uribe.

Also, Chavez was from the military, and so were most of the people he worked with.

Doesn't this give state funding to FARC so they can form a political party and campaign for the government. That's dangerous too.

Ahasverus

Doesn't this give state funding to FARC so they can form a political party and campaign for the government. That's dangerous too.
That's good though, it's better for them to be political than military, either way, colombian people won't vote them into high government, we've never had a leftist president, never, ever, in 200 years, and that won't start now, much less a far left one, and much much less one involved with FARC, we are not Venezuela, we're not ruined or hungry for a status quo change, in fact, that's a colombian sin, we just don't care.

clemenx

Banned
I came here to bump the thread, but I see it's been done. Pray for a win on Sunday.

Venezuela destroyed its institutions before plunging into misery. Colombia has none of that. Ironically, the president closes to achieving this has been Uribe.

Also, Chavez was from the military, and so were most of the people he worked with.

Chavez was a military that worked alongside Guerrilleros to hold a coup... And the institutions were destroyed by those same military and guerrileros that got voted in after they were pardoned.

I do agree that Colombia has none of that and I hope it stays that way.

Also, why the hell is this being held before the vote?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom