• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colombia, FARC rebels to sign ceasefire agreement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serge85

Centro Democratico right now:

giphy.gif

Yep, from Antioquia as well. Orgullo Paisa is now just shame.

I'm from Bucaramanga....here the "NO" also won.

Pau

Most of family lives in Cartagena and Bogota and are well off, so yeah different perspectives I guess
Yeah my mum complained about people are voting Yes in Bogotá because they won't have to deal with the consequences: living next to the guerilleros. I thought the whole fucking point was reintegration into society. I guess just not "our" society.

I'm not from Colombia but I've been following the news, everyone I know voted for Yes and I feel very sad about this result.
Why there are people that follow Uribe? And the FARC have said something about this result?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not from Colombia but I've been following the news, everyone I know voted for Yes and I feel very sad about this result.
Why there are people that follow Uribe? And the FARC have said something about this result?

Because Uribe is from Antioquia, Paisaland, and no Paisa would ever do anything wrong.

The Lamp

Well I guess this is the people saying they want a stronger deal that guarantees more benefits, as ELN is still out there and FARC being in the government is a huge risk.

My family is absolutely ecstatic but I assume they'll say I can't give my opinion on the matter since I live in the US and only occasionally come to visit so I wouldn't live with the consequences.

Pau

My family is absolutely ecstatic but I assume they'll say I can't give my opinion on the matter since I live in the US and only occasionally come to visit so I wouldn't live with the consequences.
Yeah, plus being ill-informed because we don't read conservative papers like El Colombiano every day.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Well I guess this is the people saying they want a stronger deal that guarantees more benefits, as ELN is still out there and FARC being in the government is a huge risk.

We were literally giving them 3.5% seats in just one fucking branch of power. People are fucking vindictive.

Pau

We were literally giving them 3.5% seats in just one fucking branch of power. People are fucking vindictive.
That's what it is at the end of the day. Being vindictive. But corrupt politicians who have caused just as much violence and harm get to stay in government for reasons.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
The President has called an emergency meeting with the lead negotiator, the Ministry of Interior, and Ministry of Defense.

EDIT: 60% of the population did not vote. Brexit all around.

The Lamp

These groups hold people at gunpoint to get what they want. I mean I would have voted yes for all the same reasons as you (I didn't get to here from the USA unfortunately), but I can see why some wouldn't want them in power at all.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
These groups hold people at gunpoint to get what they want. I mean I would have voted yes for all the same reasons as you (I didn't get to here from the USA unfortunately), but I can see why some wouldn't want them in power at all.

These groups started doing that because the State didn't care to give them what they needed in the first place.

But yes, I know we agree.

What is the treaty that Uribe wants? Seriously?

One that prevents him from being investigated due to paramilitarism? Maybe? I dunno. I think we're going to see a similar level of incompetence in the far right just like in Britain. They had no idea they would win, and so they have no clear answer except "renegotiate".

Once again, Referendums show why having a representative democracy is crucial to making democracy work.

Voters should not be a part of policy making. Period.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
The Brexit vote had a 72.2% turnout. How is that applicable here?

I'm trying to say that if more people voted, maybe Yes could've won. Wasn't the same said in the UK? If I'm wrong, I'm sorry.

Empty

You misunderstood, they voted in agreement to the ceasefire. That said my Mom just said that she voted against it because she never expected this result... yea

ah apologies. i should have read more than the bbc overview before weighing in with a lazy comparison.

Jezbollah

I'm trying to say that if more people voted, maybe Yes could've won. Wasn't the same said in the UK?

72% turnout for any vote here in the UK is high (the General Election in 2015 had a 66.4% turnout). It's a pretty high assumption on either side to say that if a turnout was higher that they would vote in a certain way.

If a person feels passionately about voting for something, they would have voted.

If it was a low turnout in comparison to elections, then you have to consider if the potential voters cared in any way or had access to voting facilities - and perhaps consider the day of the actual vote.

Bollocks

Don't know how I should feel about this, had an absolute blast visiting Colombia last year with my limited Spanish, really nice people. I wish them all the best. Already planning a return for February.
I doubt the no vote will halt the great development of recent years though.

clemenx

Banned
This is a good result. Sorry guys. I know peace sounds good but this seemed like false advertisement. Why would you guys ever trust something backed mainly by Chavez and the Castros? And you guys were really going to be happy with the pardons and impunity across the board?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
72% turnout for any vote here in the UK is high (the General Election in 2015 had a 66.4% turnout). It's a pretty high assumption on either side to say that if a turnout was higher that they would vote in a certain way.

If a person feels passionately about voting for something, they would have voted.

If it was a low turnout in comparison to elections, then you have to consider if the potential voters cared in any way or had access to voting facilities - and perhaps consider the day of the actual vote.

You're right. I'm just angry. Thanks for educating me.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
This is a good result. Sorry guys. I know peace sounds good but this seemed like false advertisement. Why would you guys ever trust something backed mainly by Chavez and the Castros? And you guys were really going to be happy with the pardons and impunity across the board?

You can get peace, or you can get justice. You can't get both. As long as there's the prospect that one side will be punished or set back beyond their current position, they will continue to fight. The fighting won't ever stop until both sides are convinced the peace will be better than the fight for the both of them. Pretty much every conflict of this nature has ended by both sides tiring of the bloodshed, and having to agree that the past is past. If Mandela had pushed for the crimes of apartheid to be punished under international law, South Africa would probably still be a warzone as we speak. Sometimes truth and reconciliation is the best you can ask for.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

People who say this also seem to forget other leaders like fucking Obama and the Pope.

The Lamp

Don't know how I should feel about this, had an absolute blast visiting Colombia last year with my limited Spanish, really nice people. I wish them all the best. Already planning a return for February.
I doubt the no vote will halt the great development of recent years though.

It won't. The country is relatively safe for tourists to visit and enjoy regardless of this vote.

Pau

You can get peace, or you can get justice. You can't get both. As long as there's the prospect that one side will be punished or set back beyond their current position, they will continue to fight. The fighting won't ever stop until both sides are convinced the peace will be better than the fight for the both of them. Pretty much every conflict of this nature has ended by both sides tiring of the bloodshed, and having to agree that the past is past. If Mandela had pushed for the crimes of apartheid to be punished under international law, South Africa would probably still be a warzone as we speak. Sometimes truth and reconciliation is the best you can ask for.
This.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom