• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colombia, FARC rebels to sign ceasefire agreement

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
15% Votes counted.

Yes is winning by almost 30K votes.

EDIT: In around 10 minutes votes from outside of the country will be reported.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
30% reported.

Yes winning by 20K votes.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
50% reported.

Yes winning by 11K votes. (Fuck)

EDIT: Antioquia competes against Texas for its money, voting 70% for No.

EDIT: Supposedly the race is so tight due to advanced cities being in favor for No (except Bogota), while conflict ridden areas vote for Yes, and the count takes longer to report from the latter.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Fuuuuuck. Yes is winning only by 600 votes. 83% votes counted.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
90.66% counted. No is winning by 25K votes.

Why are the people even voting no? Peace for the country must be what everyone wants, i hope yes wins.

Same reason people voted for Brexit. Political propaganda.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
No is winning by 52K, with 96.74%.

Damn. We got our Brexit.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Yep. If No wins, my country really will have a long way to go. Fucking lol, people really think they'll renegotiate.

This is fucking insane, nobody predicted this. The chances of renegotiate a new agreement are very slim, but not imposible. With this we just wasted 5 years... The saddest thing is that the regions most affected by the war voted yes. sigh...

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
There isn't, the guerrilla was already going into the safe zones to leave arms, they all thought Yes would win.

No winning by almost 60K votes.

EDITS: I fucking swear there isn't good survey technology and studies here. Good lord, it couldn't be further from what was predicted.

Dierce

Just like Brexit it is never a good idea to let such important matters be dictated by the general population who lets emotions get in the way of progress.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
We are doomed. Thanks Uribe

He'll have his win in 2018! He's pretty happy.

Fuck this country. You just fucked the entire rural area who endured decades of violence.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Sucks for Colombia. I guess Trump will win too.

Purkake4

Banned
This is fucking insane, nobody predicted this. The chances of renegotiate a new agreement are very slim, but not imposible. With this we just wasted 5 years... The saddest thing is that the regions most affected by the war voted yes. sigh...
I sincerely doubt that the no voters were concerned about specific parts of the agreement and will change their minds when a new version comes around.

Xe4

Banned
Sucks for Colombia. I guess Trump will win too.

I hate that I have to say this, but America isn't Colombia just as much as it isn't Britain.
The fact that Colombia thought it was a good idea to leave the peace of the country up to the hands of voters (and require a simple majority at that!) is beyond ridiculous. I hope Colombia comes up with another agreement some time in the future.

Empty

this is brexit as well. areas most dependent on eu financing for their local economy voted to leave.

aaaaah i hate referendums

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I hope Colombia comes up with another agreement some time in the future.

Depends on what No will entail. Whether the President changes some details here and there, and just makes it law might probably be the best case scenario.

Might as well go out in a blaze of glory.

The FARC have said they had no plan B for this instance.

Dierce

I still fail to understand why go with a majority vote. Why not make it so that you need over 2/3 vote to challenge a law through a referendum. At least that would prevent bullshit such as this.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Suddenly the American Electoral College seems like a good idea to me.

You is me or you is Uribe?

Pretty sure I voted yes.

Sorry, talking to most of Antioquia. You're good, man.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
The Security Council will probably be "Well fuck, I guess we really should stop trying in Syria if humans don't want peace."

With that system it would have likely lost as well assuming I'm understanding correctly and the big cities were voting no, which would mean they'd have more votes

Yeah, I'm just angry and rambling. Sorry.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Welp this is bad, i hope people dont get killed by this vote which reminds me why did this very important issue even got a vote? The goverment should have jammed the agreement into people's faces.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Welp this is bad, i hope people dont get killed by this vote which reminds me why did this very important issue even got a vote? The goverment should have jammed the agreement into people's faces.

Legitimacy.

Xe4

Banned
Depends on what No will entail. Whether the President changes some details here and there, and just makes it law might probably be the best case scenario.

Might as well go out in a blaze of glory.

The FARC have said they had no plan B for this instance.
: / I really hope it turns out all right. The period of the america's being free of war may be shorter than I had realized. Stay safe Colombia-GAF
Suddenly the American Electoral College seems like a good idea to me.

Sorry, talking to most of Antioquia. You're good, man.
They did make it inherently undemocratic for a reason. Wasn't the worst idea in the 1700's, and for some cases today (particularly with regards to war and civil rights), the will of the people still cannot be trusted to make the right decision, so an undemocratic process must be involved.

this is brexit as well. areas most dependent on eu financing for their local economy voted to leave.

aaaaah i hate referendums

You misunderstood, they voted in agreement to the ceasefire. That said my Mom just said that she voted against it because she never expected this result... yea

When it's a decision about ending a war it shouldn't be a God damn popularity contest

Oh? You don't want to end Mr citizen? Then leave your comfy fucking house pick up a gun and fight the enemy yourself

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Centro Democratico right now:

giphy.gif

Yes Im from Antioquia and I hate myself. I have to talk in plural and yes, we as Colombians fucked it up.

Yep, from Antioquia as well. Orgullo Paisa is now just shame.

Pau

And here my mum tried to tell me the vote was rigged in favor of Yes.

Here's for more war I guess. Feeling pretty depressed especially knowing that my family is super happy with this outcome. (And yes, we're rich Paisas. How did you know?)

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
You know, this is a fantastic time for Centro Democratico to show how incompetent and hypocritical they are, when they just will do the same fucking shit. Just fucking more people along the way though.

(And yes, we're rich Paisas. How did you know?)

Would've never guessed!

And here my mum tried to tell me the vote was rigged in favor of Yes.

Here's for more war I guess. Feeling pretty depressed especially knowing that my family is super happy with this outcome. (And yes, we're rich Paisas. How did you know?)
Most of family lives in Cartagena and Bogota and are well off, so yeah different perspectives I guess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom