• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| December 2016. Motor Girl is my new Motor Crush

shingi70

Banned
If you read "Steve Rogers: Captain America" the entire thing makes perfect sense.

been that way for a while. Events drive sales, really.

I read marvel through MU so I doesn't really keep up with universe on a monthly basis like I do the DCU.

I don't actually mind event books but they should be something that happens once a year for s line wide event, and supplanted with smaller events like clone conspiracy or the upcoming Superman Reborn.

In theory I feel that the too tier team books should act as an event every month and things such as Justice League, and Avengers should feel exciting. The last few team books that felt like events reading them month to month have been Johns Justice League and Hickamans Avengers and New Avengers books.

You yourselves said he had kids with Susan so I operated under that premise

they're his kids with that susan. he created susan, then created his kids after that. Everything in battleworld resonates with the same frequency that molecule man/doom does- i.e. they're just constructs. Incredibly advanced constructs, but still constructs. Strange is the only thing there that wasn't created from the will/power of Doom.

speaking about that I was always curious how long was Battleworld actually in existence not willed into existence history.

eight years. edit: it should be pointed out that it's implied/stated doom has "reset" Battleworld at least once since then. I recall something about the annihilation wave/zombies/ultrons inevitably piercing the wall and overrunning battleworld at least once forcing Doom to "reset" them, and "Attilan Rising" reveals that Doom is constantly resetting that one and tweaking things to test Black Bolt and Medusa.

So doom willed Susan and Reed's kids into existence and paternity tests and genetics that would in a way so they'd show up as his not Reed's? That's the only way it'd work for the kids to be his.

no, Doom decided he wanted a family exactly like Reed's, so just willed them into being using an alternate susan from a destroyed world he recreated that had never met reed as a starting point. They look like his, talk like his, but weren't.

Think of it as if he had just built LMD's that looked like Reed's kids. Would they still show up as Reed's kids in a DNA test?

Comixology have not included Love is Love in the new releases page for either IDW or DC. Its on there if you search for it. Great job Comixology, you had one job.

What are you even talking about? It was on the "Just Added" list in the CMX app just like all the other new books. I saw it right away.

Sandfox

More of a fan or happy Quipy she hulk but I'm willing to give the new book a shot in six months. I just ignored because I found the whole killing banner with Hawkeye thing stupid.

Really feels like the MU still doesn't have an overall direction and instead we have events upon events crashing into one another.

I'm really enjoying JL v SS and maybe Marvel needs to reevaluate events.
She's still quippy in the new book.
It's Bendis's revenge for being cut out of the MCU inner circle!

Wake up sheeple!
Bendis wasn't actually the one writing her that way. It was the tie-ins making her look bad.

they're his kids with that susan. he created susan, then created his kids after that. Everything in battleworld resonates with the same frequency that molecule man/doom does- i.e. they're just constructs. Incredibly advanced constructs, but still constructs. Strange is the only thing there that wasn't created from the will/power of Doom.

no, Doom decided he wanted a family exactly like Reed's, so just willed them into being using an alternate susan from a destroyed world he recreated that had never met reed as a starting point. They look like his, talk like his, but weren't.

Think of it as if he had just built LMD's that looked like Reed's kids. Would they still show up as Reed's kids in a DNA test?

eight years. edit: it should be pointed out that it's implied/stated doom has "reset" Battleworld at least once since then. I recall something about the annihilation wave/zombies/ultrons inevitably piercing the wall and overrunning battleworld at least once forcing Doom to "reset" them, and "Attilan Rising" reveals that Doom is constantly resetting that one and tweaking things to test Black Bolt and Medusa.
but some people carried over into current MU from Battleworld at least there are a few people that remember it happening. Doom even says so in that issue.
In Battleworld Doom had the power to create life, if said life carried over into MU proper it wouldn't be comparable to LMD which are ultimately still robots.
To me it sounds like he effectively cloned them and made them think he's their father. Doom would have to come up with a new system of genetics to clone them as his kids, which he might have and then if they carried over into the new MU they'd still register as Doom's.

Thanks for clearing that up Secret Wars was pretty hazy on the details if you only read parts of the event.

Messi

Do people use the site more than the app? I've only used the site when I need to use a coupon code or buy a fucked up book like Crossed.

Yes, the app on ipad doesn't allow purchases. I'd assume most of their traffic goes via the website even if you buy your books via browser on the ipad.

I'm not sure how we get from Civil War 2 to that most famous superhero ever! Yasssss queen! nonsense from the "The Mighty Captain Marvel" press release.

Because the average person in the Marvel Universe doesn't know the horrible struggles of Bruce Banner. They just know the Hulk destroys shit and predictive justice got him before her terrorized another city or town. Likewise, instead of rolling with nonsense, the heroes were there when a big Celestial like thing appeared in NY. Big change from the "react" paradigm.

How Carol became the top cop is the part of Civil War II that works.

Yes, the app on ipad doesn't allow purchases. I'd assume most of their traffic goes via the website even if you buy your books via browser on the ipad.

Well that sounds inconvenient. What's that about? Apple need their cut?

I've only ever used the Android app and it's lovely.

Messi

Well that sounds inconvenient. What's that about? Apple need their cut?

I've only ever used the Android app and it's lovely.

Apple always got their cut, when amazon bought them they were like....fuck that. They removed the ability shortly after. The site is just as handy tbh.

Apple always got their cut, when amazon bought them they were like....fuck that. They removed the ability shortly after. The site is just as handy tbh.
Plus apple was censoring what could be purchased (books like saga would get banned from the store) so I moved to the website as the workaround well before they made that change

bronson

Do you guys do a voting thread for Best Comics of the Year or something like that? I've got some Amazon giftcard money I'd like to use on graphic novels, but I'm a little out of touch with the big stuff in 2016.

I've caught up on Tom King's work and a lot of Marvel, along with the more popular Image books (Southern Bastards, Saga, Hickman, etc), but when I found out that everyone was really into Midnighter as of like a year ago I was taken off guard.

So what I'm asking is -- what are the New Cool Books, you guys? I'm into pretty much anything you can throw at me.

Do you guys do a voting thread for Best Comics of the Year or something like that? I've got some Amazon giftcard money I'd like to use on graphic novels, but I'm a little out of touch with the big stuff in 2016.

I've caught up on Tom King's work and a lot of Marvel, along with the more popular Image books (Southern Bastards, Saga, Hickman, etc), but when I found out that everyone was really into Midnighter as of like a year ago I was taken off guard.

So what I'm asking is -- what are the New Cool Books, you guys? I'm into pretty much anything you can throw at me.

We've tried it in the past but there are just so many comics and honestly not enough people for it to be worthwhile the same way there is for games, anime, music, etc.

I posted my favorite books that I've read in 2016 earlier in the thread, but if I were to limit it to ongoings and NEW titles I'd say my top ten is:
-BPRD Hell on Earth
-The Flintstones
-Doom Patrol
-Shade, the Changing Girl
-Megg and Mogg In Amsterdam
-5000KM Per Second
-Snotgirl
-The Fix
-Wonder Woman Rebirth
-Squirrel Girl Beats Up The Marvel Universe (and The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl)

I think if you're into Image, I'd give Fix and Snotgirl a try each. Fix's first trade is out already and Snotgirl volume 1 comes out in February.

Christian

Speaking of event books, how is Maximum Security?! I've reached a point in several of the books that I'm reading where they're crossing over with this small event. Not sure if it's worth spending the $8 to get it and read it, or if I should just jump past it.

Slayven

What is the next dead IP Marvel with ressurect?

Cardiac?

Nightwatch?

Force Works?

I really feel we are overdue for an Infinity Watch

Dalek

JL vs Suicide Squad is so fun. Plus I wasn't expecting
Rebirth/Stolen time hints. What was the thing with Killer Croc and Aquaman-Amnesty Bay? I missed that reference. Seemed like Croc remembered something Arthur didn't.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Guggenheim's story in Love is Love is just......................dude really?

Edit: Killam's story is just LOL. Kinda tone deaf.

There were a handful that seemed pretty tone deaf. They're mostly only a page, so I get that it's tough but I'm not quite sure why some of them were even included.

EVS is straight garbage now. Once upon a time that dude was legit
I read something with him in it recently and thought "goddamn I liked you at one point"
I'm really starting to get bothered by the *apparent* lack of communication at Marvel.

In Infamous Iron Man:

So
Doom had always sought power, but when he finally won, he discovered that power was not an end to itself. Thus he's decided to use power as a means in order to find fulfillment.

K.

So who the fuck is this in Moon Girl?

I really hope that this is a head fake, but if it's not
D:

Also, the whole Patsy Walker thing re: Jubilee and She-Hulk. At this point it seems best to create your supporting cast wholesale so that your characters don't get snatched by someone else.
Spoilered images still show up on mobile.
So...is Carol just a not self-aware Dark Reign Norman Osborn now?
Wasn't there a Dark Reign teaser image floating around about a month ago? Or was that just BS?
What is the next dead IP Marvel with ressurect?

Cardiac?

Nightwatch?

Force Works?

I really feel we are overdue for an Infinity Watch

Cardiac was in Superior Spider-Man

Remember that.

Ecanus

Neo Member
I'm having trouble remembering the name of this comic:
- Relatively new, created within the last few years.
- Independently owned (?).
- It's post apocalyptic, but magical races have returned (Elves and the like).
- One of the main characters is a girl with a bow?
- Another boy character has a tail (which I think is bad for him).
I know this is not much to go on, but any help would be appreciated.

arkon

I'm having trouble remembering the name of this comic:
- Relatively new, created within the last few years.
- Independently owned (?).
- It's post apocalyptic, but magical races have returned (Elves and the like).
- One of the main characters is a girl with a bow?
- Another boy character has a tail (which I think is bad for him).
I know this is not much to go on, but any help would be appreciated.

Sounds like it might be Hinterkind

but some people carried over into current MU from Battleworld at least there are a few people that remember it happening. Doom even says so in that issue.

Don't get hung up on this one, because it doesn't make any sense. The Prime Universe Peter Parker "remembers" events with Regent, even though the Peter Parker that ACTUALLY fought regent is the alt-universe one running around in "renew your vows."

The prime universe Miguel O'hara remembers events of secret wars 2099, even though 616 O'hara died in time runs out with everyone else, and Secret Wars 2099 O'hara had a completely different history.

it's a sloppy way to do callbacks, and not much else.

In Battleworld Doom had the power to create life, if said life carried over into MU proper it wouldn't be comparable to LMD which are ultimately still robots.
To me it sounds like he effectively cloned them and made them think he's their father. Doom would have to come up with a new system of genetics to clone them as his kids, which he might have and then if they carried over into the new MU they'd still register as Doom's

there's no need to make a "system of genetics". Doom just willed things into being with molecule man's power. We saw this during secret wars a few times. Yes, it's life- but it's "life" that's artificially created out of thin air. This is why you have 30+ year old heroes running around on a world that's only been around for 8 years. Edit: I'm pretty sure Franklin Richards is canonically older than 8 years old anyway, so Doom pretty much would have had to be cheating for him to exist.

Thanks for clearing that up Secret Wars was pretty hazy on the details if you only read parts of the event.

yep.

I wonder if Storm has enough self-awareness to know that she now sounds exactly like the Scott Summers? The guy she's been shit talking for the last 2 years.

Top Bottom