• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord now available for pre-order - $39.99 standard edition & $59.99 deluxe edition w/ 72 hours early access

Killjoy-NL

Well the principle of an open beta is to be open. So unless they changed the definiti... Oh shit you are right. Can't believe how stupid they are.
Wasn't gonna touch this even with gloves but I really don't get why they don't make the open beta... open. If they are confident in the gameplay they should let everyone play it. If they are not confident it's probably because it's shit.

In both cases, it doesn't smell very good.
ngl it's stupid to call it open beta if it's paywalled, so I had to look it up when you said pre-orders weren't needed.

Whatever, €40 is nothing to worry about, imo.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
ngl it's stupid to call it open beta if it's paywalled, so I had to look it up when you said pre-orders weren't needed.

Whatever, €40 is nothing to worry about, imo.
Right? I honestly thought it will be open, like open for everyone :messenger_grinning_sweat: How naive I was. And you can still get a refund anyway if the game end up shitty.

Damn we are agreeing. Are we best friend now?

Best Friends Friend GIF by PermissionIO

Killjoy-NL

Right? I honestly thought it will be open, like open for everyone :messenger_grinning_sweat: How naive I was. And you can still get a refund anyway if the game end up shitty.

Damn we are agreeing. Are we best friend now?

Best Friends Friend GIF by PermissionIO
We don't always have to disagree.😃

But I don't mind spending €40. Nor care enough to ask for a refund if the beta sucks.

Last edited:
  • Triggered
Reactions: GHG
I'm a bit miffed that this game is almost certainly going to bomb, if only because I want to watch them struggle to make a story work in a setting where people basically fight over nothing for no reason and any given character can be on any team, or even both teams at once. Blizzard tried with Overwatch and got stumped so hard that the only "developments" in terms of lore and backstory that game has received in eight years consisted of new heroes being added, or old heroes coming out as gay.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
How anyone ever thought this was going to be F2P given Sony's rampant greed this generation baffles me.

Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Even better because it's not F2P that means that PS+ is required, as that requirements only waved for free 2 play titles. Ain't it swell they just increased the price to deliver such a fine product, I'm sure that 5v5 must really be stretching the networks capacity.

Free Agents

It can't have a free tier because it lists PS+ as a requirement.

mwd8G5e.jpeg

All other games with free options (this would be the sole outlier on the service for this to happen) lack this requirement listed on the store page.

Last edited:
A pre-order page that I said there would be?

You said there would be? You didn’t say there would be, Sony said there would be when they showed all of us preorders were coming.

I thought you had faith in this game? Your prediction of a F2P trial character version is something that is only going to happen well after launch when the game doesn’t sell well and needs an injection of players. See: Battleborn.

Have they given details about how monetization works in this game? I’m wondering if it’s actually a service game full of extra purchases or if it’s more of a one and done purchase like Bleeding Edge.

Have they given details about how monetization works in this game? I’m wondering if it’s actually a service game full of extra purchases or if it’s more of a one and done purchase like Bleeding Edge.
Nothing yet. Most likely it'll be very similar to other games like this.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
There's precedence. Destiny 2 still needs PS+

Yes... sort of...

What makes this unique is you can play Destiny without PS+ (hence why the Destiny storefront lacks the PS+ requirement on the store) but you can't... "play" Destiny without it, like you can boot up and do some campaign missions, but you can't queue for a strike for example. The difference here is the requirement for PS+ is listed on the page meaning everyone needs it for everything.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Yes... sort of...

What makes this unique is you can play Destiny without PS+ (hence why the Destiny storefront lacks the PS+ requirement on the store) but you can't... "play" Destiny without it, like you can boot up and do some campaign missions, but you can't queue for a strike for example. The difference here is the requirement for PS+ is listed on the page meaning everyone needs it for everything.

Because Destiny expansions are paid.

Yes... sort of...

What makes this unique is you can play Destiny without PS+ (hence why the Destiny storefront lacks the PS+ requirement on the store) but you can't... "play" Destiny without it, like you can boot up and do some missions, but you can't queue for a strike for example. The difference here is the requirement for PS+ is listed.

There's not really a difference between the two. You can actually do some stuff in Destiny 2 because there's single player portions. Anything with match making is locked. Concord is nothing but matchmaking.

I'm not saying there's going to be a f2p version, but the PS+ requirement isn't definitive.

xHunter

Sounds like cosmetics will be what they sell, since everything else is announced as free updates:

The crew of the Northstar and the galaxy of Concord will grow through regular post-launch updates that introduce new Freegunners, game modes, maps and worlds, and weekly cinematic vignettes for no additional cost.

Roxkis_ii

wgSUm5g.jpeg

5x62537943va1.gif

You would think the devs would do an actual open beta to persuade people who had a negative impression from the trailer.

But hey who am I but a potential customer they left by the way side with their pay wall.

Killjoy-NL

FYI the preorder is for early access to the beta. Not to access the beta.
This says you need to pre-order:

"To gain early access to Concord, you will need to purchase one of the game’s pre-order editions that will grant you, and four other people, access to the beta.

So if you and some friends want to try out Concord before its full release, one of you just needs to buy a pre-order and five people in total can get access to the beta"

This says you need to pre-order:

"To gain early access to Concord, you will need to purchase one of the game’s pre-order editions that will grant you, and four other people, access to the beta.

So if you and some friends want to try out Concord before its full release, one of you just needs to buy a pre-order and five people in total can get access to the beta"

Those sites are just paraphrasing poorly. Use the offical sources.

Both reference early access to the beta.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Those sites are just paraphrasing poorly. Use the offical sources.

Both reference early access to the beta.
There is literally no mention of a beta outside of pre-orders anywhere though. Not even on official Playstation sources.

DryvBy

I mean why are people surprised it literally said "preorder" in the trailer, it was never going to be free.

This is Sony, don't flop for free when you can charge for it.

uKVCbh.gif
This will be F2P in 6 months before they shut down the servers.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
This will be F2P in 6 months before they shut down the servers.

The strange thing is they had the same issue with Destruction Allstars, they pivoted a bit and put it as a included with PS+ title, I fully expect them to announce the same for this after the paid beta.

Salz01

A lot of Overwatches initial appeal was Blizzards great character designs. I’d wager maybe it influenced about 50 percent of the purchase . The rest was the gameplay and references to Team Fortress, potential story etc. Cant say the same with this.

I really hate how MS made paying more for the real release date popular. Almost every game this year has done this crap and they're all going to going forward. Why not charge people more that can't wait?
Luckily for me, I couldn't care less about this game and definitely won't buy it at $40.

DaGwaphics

With some of the feedback they've gotten, they should have included "white dude skin" with the deluxe edition just for kicks.

Then they could say that "white dude" was not left out he was just that much more special. Guaranteed plan to boost social media mentions. :messenger_winking_tongue:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
A lot of Overwatches initial appeal was Blizzards great character designs. I’d wager maybe it influenced about 50 percent of the purchase . The rest was the gameplay and references to Team Fortress, potential story etc. Cant say the same with this.

I mean do you remember the reaction to the overwatch trailers before launch? People where super excited.

'Before its release, Overwatch experienced a period of pre-launch attention not typically expected; Game Revolution noted that "Overwatch's reputation has quickly permeated through cyberspace, attracting attention from people who may not traditionally put down $40 to $60 each time a new first-person shooter releases."The game's open beta, which attracted 9.7 million players, was very heavily covered by the media'

That was from the get go, I was hyped, everyone's was hyped, it was to be the next FPS revolution.

Concord... at BEST people want to give it a fair shake, more commonly is active hatred for what it represents in a stagnant part of the games industry, DEI infested flavour of the month GaaS created by committee to target everyone and no one, and even more common complete apathy.

That's the core difference, one set a trend, this one is chasing it half a decade too late.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

That's why you check the official sources and not the illiterate outlets
The official sources mention nothing about free open beta.

And like I said, I'm not in a financial situation where I have to worry about €40.

I've paid €60 for Witcher 3 and quit it after a handfull of hours because I thought it was mediocre and boring.

It's all relative. If I can even get a couple of hours fun out of the beta, it was worth it.
If not, too bad.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

That's why you check the official sources and not the illiterate outlets
Just asked in their official discord and they said you need a pre-order.

Also, there is this Blog as well. Their communication can be a lot better:

Top Bottom