• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Congress overrides Obama's veto of Saudi lawsuit bill; Blame Obama for their override

Status
Not open for further replies.
9ac.jpg

This really is a perfect analogy to our Congress:
b7e.jpg

pa22word

Please re-read the first post. You seem to be in the wrong thread. Your just as bad as the republicans that can't seem to read.

First post is partisan schlock. This was a bipartisan fuck up. Who cares how McConnel is personally spinning it? Both sides of the aisle fucked up here.

dani_dc

So essentially, this is something that both parties unconditionally support, right?

Why it seems like people only angry towards the Republican, then?

Democrats are just as much to blame, but the mental gymnastics that the republicans do to blame Obama for even this situation is something worth pointing a spotlight to.

Piecake

First post is partisan schlock. This was a bipartisan fuck up. Who cares how McConnel is personally spinning it? Both sides of the aisle fucked up here.

No, you just didn't understand my point and didn't read it in the context of the fucking thread.

I shat on both parties equally for being cowards in the other thread for this.

orochi91

and that it would raise the specter of other nations hauling the United States into court for things it actually does — such as killing civilians in drone strikes.
HELL.

YES.

I hope the US government gets inundated with lawsuits from other countries/denizens.

pa22word

Democrats are just as much to blame, but the mental gymnastics that the republicans do to blame Obama for even this situation is something worth pointing a spotlight to.

If this vote happened 9 years ago instead of right now the results would be the same. You'd just have Reid lambasting Bush as damage control instead of McConnel bashing obama.
No, you just didn't understand my point and didn't read it in the context of the fucking thread.

I shat on both parties equally for being cowards in the other thread for this.
Of what? That a politician is putting a partisan spin on something as damage control? Who gives a fuck? What matters is the damn vote.

JP_

Banned

Dude, can you read?

Read what Mitch McConnell said and who he blamed for the bill. That is the whole point of this thread.

The other thread about the entirety of the bill has posters shitting on both Republicans and Democrats equally.

Gattsu25

Banned
If this vote happened 9 years ago instead of right now the results would be the same. You'd just have Reid lambasting Bush as damage control instead of McConnel bashing obama.

Do you have any examples of democrats blaming republican presidents for their own veto overrides or are you just randomly tossing around "what ifs" in an attempt to throw the thread off topic?

Updating the OP to request people keep bullshit what if fanfiction out of the thread.

Biske

Jesus they are really going with a "Thanks Obama" defense.

Jesus christ. Who the fuck is voting for these people? Jesus.

Dr.Acula

Banned
“By the time everybody seemed to focus on some potential consequences of it, members had already basically taken a position.”

“By the time everybody seemed to focus on some potential consequences of it, members had already basically taken a position.”

They took a position before they focused on the potential consequences?

Reposting this so people realize how meaningless this is. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=218429348&postcount=206

I guess this makes me feel better.

It still weirds me out that in American politics voting against your own party leader is something that's commonly done and acceptable. Voting against the PM in Canada is virtually unheard of, and when it does it often results in being booted from the party.

pa22word

Do you have any examples of democrats blaming republican presidents for their own veto overrides or are you just randomly tossing around "what ifs" in an attempt to throw the thread off topic?

The override isn't the point of this thread, the DC is. If you want examples of Democrat DC over dumbass senate voting though and then turning around and blaming the president look no further than the Iraq AMF. Hell, Clinton herself has some pretty sleezy damage control spin fuckery on that one.

Ah, fucking wonderful. Just what I needed to read. A god damned override for a bill that could fuck up relations with a bunch of countries. Well, I can at least say that Obama tried. I'm gonna miss that guy.

Biske

i'm honest to god surprised they haven't gotten around to blaming 9/11 on obama yet

Oooooooooh but they have

Rudy Giuliani, no successful radical islam attacks until Obama came around:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fZqRPSvn0s

I mean, just why wasn't he around the office during 9/11? We need to get to the bottom of it.

https://youtu.be/eFQhw3VVToQ?t=210

Edit: Damn beaten, but really, its not even that out there for them to think it, their fucking leaders do, so why not.

pa22word

Can't the Supreme Court intervene?

Well, instead of vetoing it Obama could have pulled a W and issued a signing statement effectively overruling the bill. That would have left it in a grey area that would have spun it down into the courts for years, yes. Personally though I'm glad he left it to the democratic process, as flawed as it is and as stupid as I feel this vote is.

Signing statements have evolved into this weird loophole of the constitution that can leave the executive with nigh dictatorial powers, which W/Cheney and their overly hyped view of executive power used to full effect to some dangerous results.

They took a position before they focused on the potential consequences?

I guess this makes me feel better.

It still weirds me out that in American politics voting against your own party leader is something that's commonly done and acceptable. Voting against the PM in Canada is virtually unheard of, and when it does it often results in being booted from the party.

Except it isn't, which is why this is so surprising

God the conecessary Obama has had to deal with has to be one of the worst of all time. This isn't even ton mention his own party running away from him in a midterm where they lost control of the senate.

So let me get this straight.

Republicans make it alright for victims to sue Saudi Arabia for 9/11.

BUT

They never made a push to declare war or localize troops to Saudi Arabia after 9/11? All the while spearheading an invasion of a country that was pretty much held in check by it's ruler and only was invaded so George W could do the one thing his Daddy couldn't and overthrow Saddam?

Yup sounds about right.

Cipherr

We do apparently, thats what the thread was literally created about.

You aren't forced to join the discussion....

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Obama sold SA $50 billion worth of military hardware since 2009. Of course he doesn't want his buddies to be sued. Senate Republicans are a bunch of idiots as well.

Kathian

Banned
He's your President. He vetoed it. He clearly gave reasons. Your supposed to be making decisions for your constituents - how did you not ask what the consequences were prior to voting?

Eidan

The override isn't the point of this thread, the DC is. If you want examples of Democrat DC over dumbass senate voting though and then turning around and blaming the president look no further than the Iraq AMF. Hell, Clinton herself has some pretty sleezy damage control spin fuckery on that one.
I'm sorry, I'm having trouble following anything you're saying. Mitch McConnell, the Senate Majority Leader, is blaming Obama for the veto override that he, Mitch McConnell, supported and Obama did not.

Please explain your example of something similar occurring during a Republican presidency, and like all good students, cite your sources.

pa22word

I'm sorry, I'm having trouble following anything you're saying. Mitch McConnell, the Senate Majority Leader, is blaming Obama for the veto override that he, Mitch McConnell, supported and Obama did not.

Please explain your example of something similar occurring during a Republican presidency, and like all good students, cite your sources.

Look up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom