• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senate votes to override Obama's veto of 9/11 Saudi Arabia lawsuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madness

That's how checks and balances works. The President isn't all powerful as some make the position out to be.

The President has been very limited in terms of actual power, especially the fact they only get 2 terms as well. It is why just winning the presidency assures nothing for a party. You need a majority in Congress, senate etc.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So let me get this straight.

The Senate wanted to let people sue Saudi Arabia for allegedly backing the terrorists of 9/11.

But Obama veto'd that.

But now the Senate is gonna ignore Obama's veto?

They don't want to sound like they're voting against 9/11 victims two months before 1/3 of them are up for re-election. It's actually non-partisan fuckery - the GOP specifically is the party that never opens anyone up to lawsuits.

SaviourMK2

Fucking Democrats. Incompetent retards to the bitter Fucking end.
There are no Democrats in a Senate or Congress. There's only Independants, Warren, Republicans and Diet Republicans.

I want to just beat the stupid out of every one of them.

Same thing US did to Iran's assets, just rob them blink. What's the problem?

They got Arab Money?

But they have the oil supply..... They could cripple the US via gas prices. SA didn't force those people to attack the US. I mean if people could sue countries for atrocities, people would sue the USA for what the KKK has done.

sikkinixx

Figures the one thing the government can do is agree that suing someone is a good idea.

Every day America shows it's no better than any other country. Run by stupid selfish people voted for by stupid self people.

They got Arab Money?

But they have the oil supply..... They could cripple the US via gas prices. SA didn't force those people to attack the US. I mean if people could sue countries for atrocities, people would sue the USA for what the KKK has done.

They can't, because they are fighting a proxy war with Iran, it's buyer's market now.

Also, Venezuela.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I guess Saudi Arabia is a pretty important ally, even if they're a terrible one. They're a decently big trade partner, and we need all the support we can get in that region. It probably isn't worth pissing them off like this even if we're in the moral right to do so.

But that's only if judges and officials are extremely forceful in enforcing it, and it seems more likely it'll just mostly be symbolic and nothing more.

Even if we go crazy suing Saudi Arabia, I don't see this slippery sloping into countries suing the US in any meaningful way. The US is a pretty big and powerful country. Other countries would be pretty dumb and unsuccessful if they try to push America around like that.

commedieu

Banned
I guess Saudi Arabia is a pretty important ally, even if they're a terrible one. They're a decently big trade partner, and we need all the support we can get in that region. It probably isn't worth pissing them off like this even if we're in the moral right to do so.

But that's only if judges and officials are extremely forceful in enforcing it, and it seems more likely it'll just mostly be symbolic and nothing more.

Even if we go crazy suing Saudi Arabia, I don't see this slippery sloping into countries suing the US in any meaningful way. The US is a pretty big and powerful country. Other countries would be pretty dumb and unsuccessful if they try to push America around like that.

Yemen is worth trade?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
The President has been very limited in terms of actual power, especially the fact they only get 2 terms as well. It is why just winning the presidency assures nothing for a party. You need a majority in Congress, senate etc.

I wouldn't underestimate the power of the president either though. The power to interpret and enforce the laws written by congress is very meaningful. Most big laws actually explicitly let the president and the organizations the president is in charge of make decisions about the details for flexibility. When Obama increased requirements on companies paying overtime pay, the law was written with the expectation that the president and his appointees will decide that sort of thing.

It's getting ridiculous that we're relying on looser and looser interpretations of legislation written in the 70s in order to just keep things running ever since anti-regulation sentiment took over the government in the 80s, and that's just giving the president more and more power.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Stupid morons, all of them.

Just because they are near election times, to pull off stunt like this.

Ah well, looking forward to see US getting sued all over the world for this.

ibyea

Banned
People keep bringing up the US getting sued argument like it is a bad thing when the US government deserves to be sued for all the messed up things.

Not that it will do much as someone in this thread has mentioned.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Nope.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=218429348&postcount=206

This really does need to be posted on every page

Well, the Director of CIA himself thinks that this moronic decision could and would endanger many US diplomats/workers/whatever across the globe, so "retaliatory action" against this is clearly something that is not only not impossible, but actually rather probable. We'll see.

The US does not perform terroristic acts though.

Uh huh.

benjipwns

Banned
"vote better!"

It was 97 to fucking 1 and as far as i know the one person who voted no is retiring soon anyway. This just goes to show it doesnt matter who you vote for, these are pretty much all flawed politicians who rarely have our best interests in mind. Just reaffirms my thoughts after the debate, whoever wins, we lose. This shit sucks.
Harry Reid is the one who voted to sustain the veto.

Bernie Sanders and Tim Kaine did not vote.

Taelus

People keep bringing up the US getting sued argument like it is a bad thing when the US government deserves to be sued for all the messed up things.

Not that it will do much as someone in this thread has mentioned.

Exactly. Why shouldn't America be held accountable for being imperialist dickbags and wreaking havoc all over the world? If anything, maybe the threat of lawsuits would serve as a deterrent against future reckless ventures abroad.

USC-fan

Banned
Exactly. Why shouldn't America be held accountable for being imperialist dickbags and wreaking havoc all over the world? If anything, maybe the threat of lawsuits would serve as a deterrent against future reckless ventures abroad.
Those actions are lawful with worldwide support.

It's funny people think they going to get one over on USA. Lol let's get real.

Taelus

Those actions are lawful with worldwide support.

It's funny people think they going to get one over on USA. Lol let's get real.

I'm not saying they would actually succeed, but a lot of people in this thread seem to be terrified of the possibility.

spekkeh

Banned
I think it's a bad idea, but it's at least interesting to see liberal GAF go all realpolitik like American soldiers should not be allowed to be prosecuted for war crimes. It's the Scheveningen invasion act all over again, only this time from Democrat minded people. I love Obama, but he's no saint.

USC-fan

Banned
I think it's a bad idea, but it's at least interesting to see liberal GAF go all realpolitik like American soldiers should not be allowed to be prosecuted for war crimes. It's the Scheveningen invasion act all over again, only this time from Democrat minded people. I love Obama, but he's no saint.
This is incorrect. It just made it so American soldiers couldn't be prosecuted for war crimes in international court. International court wouldn't handle an American soldier anyway since we would investigate it ourselves.

Crazy part of that law it gives us the power to invade to get our soldiers out if arrested.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
They are blaming Obama already
http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/a...gret-after-overriding-veto-of-saudi-9-11-bill
McConnell blamed the White House for an inadequate effort to explain its concerns, saying there was “a failure to communicate early.”

“Everybody was aware of who the potential beneficiaries were but nobody had really focused on the potential downside in terms of our international relationships, and I think it was just a ball dropped,” McConnell told reporters.

Am I in living in the real world? How many hundreds of grown adults couldn't visualize the fucking downside of the precedent for private citizens to sue another country...

Are you fucking insane?

How am I supposed to hold foreign governments accountable if they injure me, my property, or my rights in some way?

It was a stupid war on their part. I mean sure they may have crashed the economies of states like North Dakota and Oklahoma, but unlike Saudi Arabia the US economy isn't a one trick pony. They nearly bankrupted themselves while the US merely turned its head and sneezed.

A lot of smalltime drilling in Texas went belly up, too. But our economic war with Russia is too important. :p

Note these same exact people didn't get only one chance to vote through this

they got two

Also

CtkMA52VYAAWVLB.jpg

I think that is what a veto is for

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom