• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CVG: Microsoft to reveal 'major 3rd party game' comes free with X1 [MCV: FIFA 14]

Let's say that it is FIFA....

-PS4 + FIFA is still cheaper.
-X1 pre-orders are already maxed out, so this won't increase any sales during launch?
-PS4 will almost certainly be launching earlier and in more European countries than the X1 anyway. Are people in Sweden really going to wait for months after FIFA is released and available on PS4 just so they can get it packed in with an X1 in ~March 2014?

It would be a cool gesture from MS, it's good whatever the game is, but I don't see it being much of a gamechanger really.

Considering they said the free game is for Pre-ordered folk, then this is pretty much right.

This is only here to hold onto the pre-orders they already have.

B.O.O.M

Platinum games exclusive is bad news now?

That and DR3 being a perma exclusive and also the fact that the black tusk game is coming along well

it's a fucking conspiracy! lol At least CBOAT won't have any issue with tear supplies for his bidet

Leave it to GAF to spin free games as a negative for Microsoft.

*rolls eyes*

I would compile an embarrassing list of posts like Mama did in the Uncharted review thread, but I'm too lazy.
I would actually like a compiled post to see who actually said the pack in is bad news for the Xbox one. It's probably pretty small.

You call them out for having 'fanboy goggles' but yet your post is no different. You leave out many important points about closure of those studios as well as being dishonest about expansion of studios.

This is like arguing sales of a console increased by 100% when it was selling like shit before. MS is expanding because they 'need' to. It was never their strength and they realize they need to do something about it.

Sony closed a few studios that under-performed. As much as it's adorable you set a '3 year' limit to this argument of yours just so it fits your biased rant we know MS is no stranger to this. And I don't even want to start on what they have done to studios like Rare. We will see how well the new studios perform as time goes and I hope they do well.

Sony have also expanded their teams. Just because they don't have a new name doesn't mean it hasn't happened. Building multiple teams under the banners of GG, SSM and ND is just smart business. Add new additions such as Sucker Punch and MM to the mix and they have done a great job.

Now about this thread..it's just bloody embarrassing from both fronts thanks to a few posters. IF this is true it's a great move by MS and they will definitely benefit from it. On the other hand it took only one rumor to bring some MS fans to try and downplay Sony's situation too.

So please, next time if you want to call someone else out for something like this, don't do it yourself as well..it just looks stupid

Very good post.

For all we know the cancellation of those studios led to Naughty Dog having 2 teams and making The Last of Us, Readyatdawn expanding, and the GG output.

I'm sure both consoles will offer 1 month free trials anyway ( or be bundled with some games)

Or they could include them in the launch titles case for the first printing. I'm sure some people would buy an extra title or two if they were on the fence just for the code. I know I would if I caught one on sale during christmas.

The Xbox One just became £50 cheaper for A LOT OF people in Europe because many of them would have bought Fifa along with their console purchase.
And although £80 might have been a steep price for Kinect, it might be more reasonable and justifiable for people at just £30 over the PS4 price.

This increases the value of the system. And psychologically makes the price of the Kinect to be much more agreeable. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Anyone claiming that the tides have completely turned or that this is a huge game changer is being foolish. But a nice bonus is a nice bonus

Yeah. Agree.

Lucifon

Considering they said the free game is for Pre-ordered folk, then this is pretty much right.

This is only here to hold onto the pre-orders they already have.

X1 preorders are not maxed out in Europe. Plenty of places here in the UK still have stock. Amazon aren't taking any more for the Day 1 edition but much like we've seen before I have absolutely no doubt they'll make this announcement then say "and more stock allocations are now available at..." People really think they run out of stock allocations in August? Every time stock allocations 'run out' they can say they suddenly have some more and make a press release out of it to get coverage, both the platforms are doing it.

KAL2006

Banned
Microsoft offers free pack in game:

"Reeks of Desperation"
"Panic mode!"
"It doesn't change anything"

Sony offers free pack in game:

"I LOVE YOU SONY"
"Wow Sony is really generous"
"GAMECHANGER"

Sony hasn't offered a free pack in game. They offer Instant Game Collection which offers free games over the course of the whole generation. They have been doing this since PS3 and did it with Vita. And yes Instant Game Collection is incredible. Free FIFA is not a negative either, it is good also, but of course Instant Game Collection is way better than what MS offers for free. Lets not forget Gold is more expensive than PSN+ too.

Vire

I believe this game was already in response to free PS4 games included.

What free games?

You mean the demo version of Drive Club that you get after you buy a paid subscription?

Wait a minute while I prepare all the balloons for all the fucks I give.

DNaDe

Neo Member
Microsoft offers free pack in game:

"Reeks of Desperation"
"Panic mode!"
"It doesn't change anything"

Sony offers free pack in game:

"I LOVE YOU SONY"
"Wow Sony is really generous"
"GAMECHANGER"

[sarcasm]Persecution complex[/sarcasm]

Microsoft's reactionary politics are showing how clueless they are. This is going to cost them dearly in this gen.

No they shouldn't, they should exactly stick to their plan. MS is playing catchup here.

Oh wow, this is so funny. We don't care what it costs Microsoft to do this. If they are actually doing this, and the game is Fifa 14, that, to me, is a megaton.

Their including a free game, and a damn good one at that, at no extra cost is never a bad thing.

I actually want to start a drinking game. One shot for every negative post in a MS thread that deals with good news but I fear I would be dead by page 5

If the context of this thread is true that Fifa is bundled with every Xbone in Europe that is a positive no doubt, but then I think the subtext of this thread is also true and is an extremely negative for MS. That is that the situation in Europe is so dire for MS that they need to pack in FIFA to try and get people to buy the Xbone at launch. There is a reason Sony isn't doing the same. 8 to 1 folks, 8 to 1.

Bsigg12

Surely the first FIFA is going to be shit, as it was this gen?

Maybe, it depends on how feature complete the Ignite Engine is. With all EA Sports games on next gen using that engine, and it being a huge EA Sports as a whole project, I think Madden and FIFA will actually be pretty solid iterations when they come out on the PS4 and Xbox One.

Gxgear

Xbox One is still $100 more expensive than the PS4, so I'm not sure if an annually released sports game is that huge of a draw.

But then again, people are stupid so I can see quite a few falling for this hook line and sinker.

Apath

sck13lY.gif
Wtf is he a giant or is the xpad super tiny?

this will attract some people... especially if MS advertises the Fifa exclusive feature correctly... no matter what people say it can lead to a good move

Trying to get a retail buyer I know on chat right now, I can't imagine he is too happy about this...
Hmm.

It will be interesting to see how retail responds - essentially this a potentially large chunk of lost revenue for them. I could see them pushing other SKUs somehow to counteract it.
This after the pre-180 XB1 would have potentially cut into their used revenue stream... can't be good for retailer relations.

Anth0ny

Ok I think I'm missing something

Why would someone spend $500 on Xbone + FIFA when they could not only get it for $450 along with a PS4, but EARLIER, if the October PS4 launch rumors are true?

Doesn't make much sense to me

Cidd

But xbox one will have that, kinect, free live games, xbox live ecosystem, and a trillion apps at launch. Sounds like a deal to me.

Because we all know the PS4 has no free games, PSN ecosystem and apps right?

right...

Wow at the people saying "just a free game". This would be a packin that doesnt change the original price at all. It's a very aggressive move on their part.

A aggressive move would be to launch with a kinectless sku at 350€.
The FIFA bundle won´t do much because it´s still more expensive than the PS4 plus FIFA and people are playing FIFA mostly on Playstation here anyway.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Its kind of confirmed. In GamePro Forum, a guy called VegaZappo, who works at Mediamarkt (Its Like Bestbuy in Germany) confirmed this.

http://www.gamepro.de/community/gppinboard/showthread.php?124889-Xbox-One&p=2952190#post2952190

http://www.gamepro.de/community/gppinboard/showthread.php?124889-Xbox-One&p=2952201#post2952201

I know, a few days ago, we had a similar post from the Maniac Forum from a guy who claimed to work at Saturn and wrote BS about Sonys Gamescome Lineup, but in this case, I think its true.

Edit: Do you want a translation?

MS has a ton of money, but they have also never came out on top in their gaming division.

Do you have a source stating profits in the console segment for the big 3 this last generation? Because it seems slightly muddy to me. Sony took big losses. MS had the RRoD charge but sold fucktons of really profitable accessories, Live cards, and so on. The Entertainment division is doing well despite pouring losses into stuff like Zune and Kin. It seems like they at least beat Sony on profitability, and that's the case it's a huge win in their eyes, I guarantee you.

What free games?

You mean the demo version of Drive Club that you get after you buy a paid subscription?

Wait a minute while I prepare all the balloons for all the fucks I give.

Edit: Eh, on second though this was kind of funny and you're super clear about where your flag stands, so no point.

Why would someone spend $500 on Xbone + FIFA when they could not only get it for $450 along with a PS4, but EARLIER, if the October PS4 launch rumors are true?

because FREE GAME, dont you like free games?

derFeef

If you plan to only buy an Xbox One for launch, you get a free game. Isn't that good?

It is still up in the air how much this will sway people, will it still be exciting 2 months out from the games release and 1 month after the launch of the next gen versions, who knows. And questioning that really seems to upset people in here.

One fact is this is great for people already planning to buy the system.

Top Bottom