• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CVG: Microsoft to reveal 'major 3rd party game' comes free with X1 [MCV: FIFA 14]

Yeah they don't fund new games
Seriously,there even has a exclusive games develop by Platinum Games rumor at yesterday,but i guess even they announce 100 new ips at same time it still won't enough for you

You are missing the point. I am buying a PS4 at launch, I may be the only person in this thread that actively doesn't want a company to buy me a game, but I am already bought in so I would rather Sony put that towards a new IP for me to purchase down the road. Honest to goodness if Sony came out tomorrow and said BF4 is included with every system at launch I would think that was a stupid move as well. They have sold through launch allocations. What's the point?

Moobabe

Hmm.

It will be interesting to see how retail responds - essentially this a potentially large chunk of lost revenue for them. I could see them pushing other SKUs somehow to counteract it.
This after the pre-180 XB1 would have potentially cut into their used revenue stream...

That's an interesting point actually - I'll see what I can dig up tomorrow

It is a very good value add for MS if it is true and will sway some people to get the xbox one over a ps4.
Some people? who? People who can't do math? This bundle add value a system you've already intended to purchase. Not a bad thing to keep those people happy but MS already them in the first place.

I'm not arguing this is bad. I'm glad it's happening. Competition is driving this which is good. But the move is still odd.

jaypah

It's seems unnecessary. I don't know the breakdowns but if the article is right in that the game will retail at 54 pounds, why not eat like 40 or so pounds a unit for the price of the box instead? This comes off as something that's gonna be short lived.

I have no idea what perks/stipulations would be in this contract. It may not be as cut and dry as "Welp, we're going to eat $55 per console". I agree that a price drop would have been better. Also we have no idea how long this speculated deal would last. Include a free game as a bonus and you can take it out eventually. Drop the price and you end up looking stupid when the deal is over and you bring the price back up.

Some people? who? People who can't do math? This bundle add value a system you've already intended to purchase. Not a bad thing to keep those people happy but MS already them in the first place.

I'm not arguing this is bad. I'm glad it's happening. Competition is driving this which is good. But the move is still odd.

what world are you living in?

The world isn't GAF where fanboys have already tattoo'd Sony or MS on their shoulders.

I know this is hard to believe but...my god, there are people out there actually still making up their minds about this shit!

Oh wow! Unbelievable isn't it?

KAL2006

Banned
So in conclusion this is a good thing. MS offering free FIFA is huge.

Does it make it cheaper than PS4 with FIFA no, will it release before PS4, maybe not. Does MS offer better value than Sony, no as they don't offer Instant Game Collection as well as Gold being more expensive and of course the system.

However for Xbox One fans this is good news I guess.

Wouldn't this practically piss the fuck out of retailers?

This deal is great for customers, but if this is a long-term deal/bundle, then aren't retailers screwed out of the XB1 FIFA sales margins? There's a lot of money there.

Our company tried to implement something similar ( a plan that bundles something, which cut off the retailer margin from that something ), and it literally backfired because it pissed the hell out of our retail partners who vehemently refuse to push/sell the product on-ground.

Ok I think I'm missing something

Why would someone spend $500 on Xbone + FIFA when they could not only get it for $450 along with a PS4, but EARLIER, if the October PS4 launch rumors are true?

Doesn't make much sense to me

Well it sweetens the deal for anybody already considering the console.
A wise thing, for Microsoft to add value to the package, in light of news that the PS4 will release earlier and at a cheaper price.

Is there anything stopping Sony from doing a PS4 + FIFA 14 bundle for like, say, £359.99 or something?

Do bundles have to have the consent of the game publisher? Surely they do.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If FIFA is out in September, and Xbox one is out end of November, what is the likely market for FIFA 14 on Xbox? Surely most FIFA fans will already have bought it on Xbox 360 or PS3?

aTTckr

With Fifa bundled I might have considered buying an XBox One at launch, but since MS moved the date back to 2014 in Switzerland I'll stick with my PS4 preorder. I think they really shot themselves in the foot by not releasing this November in many european markets.

calder

Agreed. I think this bundle isn't designed to get ppl who were getting a PS4 to switch so much as help convince 360 fans who weren't sure they'd get a X1 this year.

Smart move in a lot of ways. Whether it's a good idea from a strictly monetary angle I doubt, but it's a nice (albeit expensive) move by MS for people who were either already getting the X1 or thinking about it.

This bundle add value a system you've already intended to purchase. Not a bad thing to keep those people happy but MS already them in the first place.
And this is like an actual value add. Not like how MS usually does a value add, otherwise nobody else but launch buyers could play FIFA.

So yeah, seems like a good move if true. But its not my region and I wouldn't care for it personally.

merrick97

Banned
Wouldn't this practically piss the fuck out of retailers?

This deal is great for customers, but if this is a long-term deal/bundle, then aren't retailers screwed out of the XB1 FIFA sales margins? There's a lot of money there.

Our company tried to implement something similar ( a plan that bundles something, which cut off the retailer margin from that something ), and it literally backfired because it pissed the hell out of our retail partners who vehemently refuse to push/sell the product on-ground.

The margins for games are sooo low as is I doubt it matters much and I am willing to bet MS is gonna give them a kick back to make up for lost profit. Retailers make a few $$$ per game sold. MS could give them that same discount on each system.

Dragon

Banned
I actually want to start a drinking game. One shot for every negative post in a MS thread that deals with good news but I fear I would be dead by page 5

Or another drinking game: how many posts of yours are dedicated to complaining about other people's posts. Which one would win I wonder?

KAL2006

Banned
PlayRoom preinstalled on every PS4 is comparable to a free Kinect game.

Who gives a shit about PlayRoom, probably why Sony didn't make a big deal out of it. All it is a free tech demo that you can download and you are requitred to buy a PSEye if you want to play it. PlayRoom isn't a free pack in game. A free pack in game is something that is advertised on the box that it will come with the system, I bet Sony won't even mention it on the PS4 box.

Hmm.

It will be interesting to see how retail responds - essentially this a potentially large chunk of lost revenue for them. I could see them pushing other SKUs somehow to counteract it.
This after the pre-180 XB1 would have potentially cut into their used revenue stream...

Yup.

Just had a small chat.

Main points.

Retail are going to be shellshocked tomorrow if it pans out like this, they have had no notice of anything like this. Losing one of their main SKUs for this year means they will be asking for a larger trade discount on XB1 according to him to make up for lost revenue. He also says that they will still use the PS3/360/PS4 version as a loss leader in the first week of sale.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Personally, I am still getting FIFA on PS4. However, if the PS4 version is riddled with bugs and glitches whereas the Xbox One version is relatively glitch free, I will be sure to never buy a FIFA game again.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Microsoft offers free pack in game:

"Reeks of Desperation"
"Panic mode!"
"It doesn't change anything"

Sony offers free pack in game:

"I LOVE YOU SONY"
"Wow Sony is really generous"
"GAMECHANGER"

Here's the deal. Had MS said they were going to pack in something like Ryse or Forza, then yes, it would be a generous, great move and would change some things.

They chose to pack in FIFA, a game that (a) will have been released almost two months after the XB1 releases, and (b) potentially already released on the PS4 for several weeks. It is a game with a fast shelf life, as are many sports games. The PS4 is still a cheaper option even if you buy FIFA and PS+ along side it. And it follows MS decision to delay the XB1 in many Euro countries, putting the FIFA pack in back till 2014, which is absurd.

We don't have all the facts of course, so maybe this will be a better value proposition if MS got EA to delay FIFA PS4 until the XB1 is released. But as a pack in game, this is business wise a fairly stupid move. MS thinks that gamers will wait patiently until the XB1 is out to get their FIFA fix. I say that's silly, but we'll see once we have more info tomorrow. It's not hard to see why people would think this isn't a touchdown hail mary pass to win the Super Bowl.

But xbox one will have that, kinect, free live games, xbox live ecosystem, and a trillion apps at launch. Sounds like a deal to me.

It is a good deal, it is a great deal for those that got a preordered Xbox One in Europe. However, remember those "free" games aren't going to just be "free." They will come with Xbox Live subs just like the "free" games for PS Plus. Also, what apps are confirmed to be available at launch that will not be available on PS4 besides Skype?

EDIT: Is this for ALL Xbox Ones bought this year in Europe or ONLY for preorders this year in Europe? I am confused.

Top Bottom