• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CVG: Microsoft to reveal 'major 3rd party game' comes free with X1 [MCV: FIFA 14]

Microsoft offers free pack in game:

"Reeks of Desperation"
"Panic mode!"
"It doesn't change anything"

Sony offers free pack in game:

"I LOVE YOU SONY"
"Wow Sony is really generous"
"GAMECHANGER"

Exactly. This is really has developed into a Sony circle-jerk. Its sad that consumers feel any brand-loyalty IMO. Neither of these companies care about anything other than profitability. Period. Sony is not some white-knight here, and neither is MS. What is sad to me is just how virulent these pro-Sony fanboys are. They literally take ANY announcement, and spin it to make MS look bad. We are talking about a free game pack-in, and somehow this is being spun as a negative? I really hate the direction that the console audience has gone. If you dislike the X1, don't buy it. If you dislike the PS4, don't buy it. Simple as that. Stop trying to tear down something you have no interest in. And don't engage in a debate/argument if you have no interest in opening your mind to competing opinions.

~~Hasan~~

I wonder why MS is doing this? Aren't they sold out already ?

Anyway If this game is bf4 (since its also ea) for US xbox then god damn that is an amazing deal

These Xbox One promotions like the buy current gen and upgrade to next gen for $9.99 (Gamestop and Amazon) and this free FIFA14 are really enticing to a fence-sitter like me.

I'm already planning on a PS4, but this is definitely interesting.

Exactly. This is really has developed into a Sony circle-jerk. Its sad that consumers feel any brand-loyalty IMO. Neither of these companies care about anything other than profitability. Period. Sony is not some white-knight here, and neither is MS. What is sad to me is just how virulent these pro-Sony fanboys are. They literally take ANY announcement, and spin it to make MS look bad. We are talking about a free game pack-in, and somehow this is being spun as a negative? I really hate the direction that the console audience has gone. If you dislike the X1, don't buy it. If you dislike the PS4, don't buy it. Simple as that. Stop trying to tear down something you have no interest in. And don't engage in a debate/argument if you have no interest in opening your mind to competing opinions.
Microsoft fucked up and now they're trying to catch up, they backtracked on fucking drm for fucks sake.

Vire

Here's the deal. Had MS said they were going to pack in something like Ryse or Forza, then yes, it would be a generous, great move and would change some things.

They chose to pack in FIFA, a game that (a) will have been released almost two months after the XB1 releases, and (b) potentially already released on the PS4 for several weeks. It is a game with a fast shelf life, as are many sports games. The PS4 is still a cheaper option even if you buy FIFA and PS+ along side it. And it follows MS decision to delay the XB1 in many Euro countries, putting the FIFA pack in back till 2014, which is absurd.

We don't have all the facts of course, so maybe this will be a better value proposition if MS got EA to delay FIFA PS4 until the XB1 is released. But as a pack in game, this is business wise a fairly stupid move. MS thinks that gamers will wait patiently until the XB1 is out to get their FIFA fix. I say that's silly, but we'll see once we have more info tomorrow. It's not hard to see why people would think this isn't a touchdown hail mary pass to win the Super Bowl.
Remember when GAF said Kinect would bomb and be a commercial failure for Microsoft?

GAF experts of business moves since 2010 ©.

Yup.

Just had a small chat.

Main points.

Retail are going to be shellshocked tomorrow if it pans out like this, they have had no notice of anything like this. Losing one of their main SKUs for this year means they will be asking for a larger trade discount on XB1 according to him to make up for lost revenue. He also says that they will still use the PS3/360/PS4 version as a loss leader in the first week of sale.

Whoever is in charge of trade marketing in MS needs to get fired, unless this 'EA deal' completely ignored any input from trade marketing.

The persecution complex by some Xbox One fans in here is staggering.

Saying that this isn't really a game changer isn't shitting on Microsoft, neither is pointing out that the PS4 is still the cheapest option for next gen FIFA. The Xbox One is certainly in a better position if this is true than if it wasn't, but it hardly changes much if you weren't already planning on buying an Xbox One.

Here's the deal. Had MS said they were going to pack in something like Ryse or Forza, then yes, it would be a generous, great move and would change some things.

They chose to pack in FIFA, a game that (a) will have been released almost two months after the XB1 releases, and (b) potentially already released on the PS4 for several weeks. It is a game with a fast shelf life, as are many sports games. The PS4 is still a cheaper option even if you buy FIFA and PS+ along side it. And it follows MS decision to delay the XB1 in many Euro countries, putting the FIFA pack in back till 2014, which is absurd.

We don't have all the facts of course, so maybe this will be a better value proposition if MS got EA to delay FIFA PS4 until the XB1 is released. But as a pack in game, this is business wise a fairly stupid move. MS thinks that gamers will wait patiently until the XB1 is out to get their FIFA fix. I say that's silly, but we'll see once we have more info tomorrow. It's not hard to see why people would think this isn't a touchdown hail mary pass to win the Super Bowl.

I really don't think it matters what game they include at this point.

Microsoft fucked up and now they're trying to catch up, they backtracked on fucking drm for fucks sake.

So purely out of principal, we should ignore any good will at this point?

Even failed systems tend to sell out of their launch shipments, so this isn't a move for the short term so much as long term.

I mean look at NBA 2k13, the game is still charting on NPD almost a year from release. These games have legs and value to a lot of people.

Maybe, it depends on how feature complete the Ignite Engine is. With all EA Sports games on next gen using that engine, and it being a huge EA Sports as a whole project, I think Madden and FIFA will actually be pretty solid iterations when they come out on the PS4 and Xbox One.

well you should know this year's FIFA 14 will be different in XB1/PS4

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/current-gen-and-next-gen-fifa-14-will-feel-very-different/0120301

plus, the new Ignite engine will be only available on XB1 and PS4
Mmm indeed. The current gen engine also showed plenty of potential early on, but the first game didn't have all the content, and it was several years before it really came together. I would expect the same this time - a clear step forward but having some hallmarks of an early release, with the 360/PS3 version being the more 'complete' package. Is there an info on whether the next-gen version will have the same number of teams, modes, etc?

Obscured

Some people? who? People who can't do math? This bundle add value a system you've already intended to purchase. Not a bad thing to keep those people happy but MS already them in the first place.

I'm not arguing this is bad. I'm glad it's happening. Competition is driving this which is good. But the move is still odd.

I wouldn't discount the number of people who can't do math or rather who won't bother to do the math. Exclusives in general seem to hit that reactive nerve more often than not. I don't see this as a bad thing, but can think of other ways that money could be spent that would benefit me personally more.

~~Hasan~~

These Xbox One promotions like the buy current gen and upgrade to next gen for $9.99 (Gamestop and Amazon) and this free FIFA14 are really enticing to a fence-sitter like me.

I'm already planning on a PS4, but this is definitely interesting.
I m exactly the same. And I am only buying one system for the first year.

I am actually now waiting for gamescon and tgs to see what they have

That's the key "if you plan to buy XBone", not the "gamechanger" some people say.

What? This IS a "game-changing" bit of information. Free AA or AAA titles with the launch X1 is certainly something that might persuade someone still undecided on which console to purchase. This is HUGE news sir.

The persecution complex by some Xbox One fans in here is staggering.

Saying that this isn't really a game changer isn't shitting on Microsoft, neither is pointing out that the PS4 is still the cheapest option for next gen FIFA. The Xbox One is certainly in a better position if this is true than if it wasn't, but it hardly changes much if you weren't already planning on buying an Xbox One.
Yeah it is crazy how questioning the impact any decision a company makes can make posters with no connection upset.

Freki

Remember when GAF said Kinect would bomb and be a commercial failure for Microsoft?

GAF experts of business moves since 2010 ©.

Remember when GAF predicted the market wouldn't react to kindly to an always on DRM console during the Orth debacle...

B.O.O.M

We're talking about impact on sales here, fifa is definitely the bigger deal.

That's fine.

Are you suggesting then that Microsoft should include Hexic for free instead of FIFA14?

I don't play sports game much but I know what selling power that franchise has.

well yeah...that much is obvious. But here's what he said

"wow.. fifa. i can not think of any other game less interesting.

hexic is better than that shit."

So yeah to him he likes Hexic more than Fifa..nothing more nothing less. Now what's happening here is some of you are getting a bit too worked up and finding fault with even perfectly fine posts.

He is also not denying the sales power of the franchise. So relax

You call them out for having 'fanboy goggles' but yet your post is no different. You leave out many important points about closure of those studios as well as being dishonest about expansion of studios.
So please, next time if you want to call someone else out for something like this, don't do it yourself as well..it just looks stupid
The point (which frankly might have gone over your head) was that breaking entire business decisions, studio closure, and licensing agreements down to snarky one sentence statements is disingenuous and that makes any and all companies look bad. And if someone talks down to one company using those metrics, they're shaming the very company they champion themselves.

OF COURSE there is nuance and context to be considered with any studio closure, and exchange of money, any exclusive arrangement, and studio development. Microsoft and Sony have both paid handsomely for exclusive content and exclusive licenses. Microsoft and Sony have both had to close studios due to unsuccessful IPs or mismangement, even if the studio was talented. Microsoft and Sony are both doing their best to cultivate great teams and building up their studios.

It was the hypocrisy of those statements that I was pointing out. I know you feel slighted that I could paint Sony in a negative light, but that was not the intent. The intent was that its foolish to paint any one company in a negative light using snarky biased statements.

Ok I think I'm missing something

Why would someone spend $500 on Xbone + FIFA when they could not only get it for $450 along with a PS4, but EARLIER, if the October PS4 launch rumors are true?

Doesn't make much sense to me

People interested in an Xbox One and planning on buying one just got a much sweeter deal if this turns out true. This isn't about people going "Wow, to hell with a PS4, Xbox One all the way for me."

This is about people who already had a set of games they were buying for their xbox one now being able to, for better or worse, say they got themselves an extra game for free, whether they were planning on buying Fifa or not. I'm even sure some people probably said, okay, the xbox one is $500, which leaves me not much money left to actually buy a game, so I'll hold out for a bit. if this news is true, some people will at least have a full game to play.

Lynn616

Ok I think I'm missing something

Why would someone spend $500 on Xbone + FIFA when they could not only get it for $450 along with a PS4, but EARLIER, if the October PS4 launch rumors are true?

Doesn't make much sense to me

They like the other X1 exclusives better than the PS4 exclusives? They like the camera?

And this means what? As I said, these are for-profit entities that care about nothing more than getting in the black. It just so happens that they made a more consumer-friendly change in policy. What is the problem here? The fact of the matter is that you clearly have it out for MS and you are a staunch Sony fan. Drop the brand loyalty and be objective about this. Nearly every major complaint we had, MS has rectified. I do not see how this is a negative whatsoever.

well yeah...that much is obvious. But here's what he said

"wow.. fifa. i can not think of any other game less interesting.

hexic is better than that shit."

So yeah to him he likes Hexic more than Fifa..nothing more nothing less. Now what's happening here is some of you are getting a bit too worked up and finding fault with even perfectly fine posts.

He is also not denying the sales power of the franchise. So relax

I just don't understand the need to post at all?

If Sony announce that they will include a copy of Killzone Shadowfall with the PS4, do you think it's okay to go into that thread and say 'Peggle is better than this shit'?

What are talking about? That's a great movie. lol.
Pffft. Sony should pack in a bluray of The Fisher King.

ibdng3KYdmvicZ.jpg

too subtle?

Top Bottom