• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CVG: Microsoft to reveal 'major 3rd party game' comes free with X1 [MCV: FIFA 14]

Vire

Pretty sure he refers only to Europe where Xbox one has pretty much zero chance to outsell PS4.

I don't think it will outsell the PS4 in Europe either, but the move made today with FIFA is an obvious clear attempt to narrow the gap.

They already have a stranglehold on the North American region, so they are focusing on European markets now.

The point of this tactic is for MS to gain brand association with Europes biggest series. Now, it's not going to happen over night, but slowly by releasing bundles with free copies packed in, and marketing Fifa as on the X1, then MS will gain marketshare in Europe.
How when it's on PS4 as well?

Iacobellis

I don't think it will outsell the PS4 in Europe either, but the move made today with FIFA is an obvious clear attempt to narrow the gap.

They already have a stranglehold on the North American region, so they are focusing on European markets now.

They do? Preorders say otherwise.

They already have a stranglehold on US markets, so they are focusing on European markets now.

I see it more as a last resort move to not give over 90% of European market to Sony. This more than likely a recent decision, made based on the shocking difference in pre-orders.

And although I would've said it was impossible months ago, it's clear for all to see the N.A market has been blown wide open by the series of mistakes MS did. PS4 is going to out sell the Xbox One at launch, and it's up to Sony to keep up the pace instead of slowing down.

Stranglehold is a stretch, especially with the new gen.

Sell the stupid thing without a Kinect and I'll consider buying it. A free game won't do it because it's still cheaper to buy a PS4 and one game, and I don't particularly want any launch games all that much.

SilentFlyer

I am wondering could EA delay FIFA release on PS4 until XB1 is released ? considering on current-gen it is releasing in September but not much is told on next-gen release date. IF PS4 releases in Oct, can we see FIFA releasing on PS4 along current-gen version releases?

Hindle

Banned
Microsoft have never really attempted to gain marketshare in Europe. The original Xbox was a cult hit, and MS focussed on NA and JPN with the 360.

Now, the X1 I'm thinking will be thier first main attempt at Europe. This move is very smart and a great first step.

ibqqJ1NZnqpz13.jpg

They have no such stranglehold when there is no BC and its more expensive. NA will be a very close battle this time.

Vire

They do? Preorders say otherwise.

I meant this past generation.

Last generation, Microsoft's strategy was to focus on the Japanese markets with games like Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon. (That worked well didn't it?) This generation it seems like they are targeting Europe if this FIFA thing is true.

Dante316

Ok, have seen the 32 pages or so, MSFT has either got a exclusive game or an exclusive bundle. The rumour of fifa 14 as a exclusive bundle seems likely. I really don't see the fuss at all. People claiming sony lost because of this are really dillusional. Its launch window, both systems will sell out. The bundle is to entice people to choose xbox but if ps4 release date is earlier then why wait when its cheaper to get it. It really is not a megaton or massive if game is not timed exclusive.

Microsoft have never really attempted to gain marketshare in Europe. The original Xbox was a cult hit, and MS focussed on NA and JPN with the 360.

Now, the X1 I'm thinking will be thier first main attempt at Europe. This move is very smart and a great first step.

This post is exactly what I would have said/been thinking.

And in PS4 bundles as well. While Sony won't be able to officially bundle it, retailers will and with a little saving.

Sony getting exclusive advertising in the past with FIFA etc. (and MS with theirs ie FFXIII) doesn't stop people buying the product for the systems they want/have. It will help push brand recognition with a console (it must work to some degree or nobody would do it) but it doesn't seem to have much impact.

I was going to stay out of this topic, but I'm sorry that's hilarious! The mere fact that people can get this worked up about videogames...

Oh and on topic, good on MS for the free game. Whatever it ends up being.

Video games? No, it's anti-consumer false advertisement bullshit.

Trevelyon

I am wondering could EA delay FIFA release on PS4 until XB1 is released ? considering on current-gen it is releasing in September but not much is told on next-gen release date. IF PS4 releases in Oct, can we see FIFA releasing on PS4 along current-gen version releases?

This could definitely be in the cards, otherwise you have possibly have a PS4 version, unchallenged in the larger EU continent for two, three, four? weeks.

Toki767

Their first major attempt is going from releasing the system in 20 Europeans countries to 7? I'd hate to see what happened if they didn't try.

What was the gap between Xbox and PS2?

Doesn't really work that way since Wii was the one who picked up a ton of sales in Europe. The difference is clear, the mind share is clear, and with the Xbox One releasing at the same time and more expensive? And less powerful?

The Xbox 360 was able to build upon a year early launch, against a 599euros machine. MS made it easy for Sony next gen, this move is just MS trying to not make it look like they took a dive.

Sandfox

Did you ever think that it's because the 360 owners are still super satisfied? While the PS3 owners have the inferior system so they of course can't wait to jump to next Gen.

I was going to say something about this comment until I saw your name lol.

And in PS4 bundles as well. While Sony won't be able to officially bundle it, retailers will and with a little saving.

Sony getting exclusive advertising in the past with FIFA etc. (and MS with theirs ie FFXIII) doesn't stop people buying the product for the systems they want/have. It will help push brand recognition with a console (it must work to some degree or nobody would do it) but it doesn't seem to have much impact.
I agree, people forget that Call of Duty sells millions on PS3.

badb0y

Did you ever think that it's because the 360 owners are still super satisfied? While the PS3 owners have the inferior system so they of course can't wait to jump to next Gen.

No.

Smart strategy by Microsoft but isn't buying a PS4 and FIFA separately still cheaper then buying an Xbox One?

Alchemist

Again, how? It's still coming to the PS4 earlier, cheaper and releasing in more countries.

Hindle

Banned

Cod and BF played a huge part in MS holding down NA, despite both being on the PS3 in NA and the UK. Yet they sell more on the 360 due to MS marketing them and by having exclusive DLC.

Their aim is to do the same with Fifa in Europe. like I said its not going to happen over night.

Iacobellis

And PS2 had even more of a stranglehold before, and that was completely undone.

There is no brand loyalty

Very true. My own dad went from having a Genesis, to a PS1, PS2, then 360. The general audience goes after the console on the market first, and the buzz just spreads via word of mouth. Had PS3 been out in 2005, I'm sure it would have been a different story.

avaya

I am now convinced you are a joke character.

Duxxy3

This could definitely be in the cards, otherwise you have possibly have a PS4 version, unchallenged in the larger EU continent for two, three, four? weeks.

You could say the same thing about Battlefield 4, Call of Duty and other games that will be on PS4 first simply because the xbox one won't have launched until november.

Is Microsoft going to pay for timed exclusivity for every single one of those titles?

Worldwide, about 90M

Uh, i think you meant 120million.

Wynnebeck

Banned
This post is exactly what I would have said/been thinking.

It would make sense if MS realized that a majority of European countries can not access the full range of XBL making Xbone a pretty unattractive product. Sadly, they do not. Combine ridiculous pricing as well as MS's inability to launch the Xbone in all countries at once and you'll start to see why even packing FIFA might no make a difference.

fuenf

Cod and BF played a huge part in MS holding down NA, despite both being on the PS3 in NA and the UK. Yet they sell more on the 360 due to MS marketing them and by having exclusive DLC.

Their aim is to do the same with Fifa in Europe. like I said its not going to happen over night.

BF? Sony had the timed exclsive DLC on that one. And the CoD exclusive deal didnt help them much in Europe.

I'm not complaining as a consumer that free is bad. It's good for us... well as long as you seek value in the freebie. FIFA is a great catch for a lot of people. I wouldn't value it because I hate sports games. If it was RYSE or Forza or DR3 than absolutely for me.

As I said, it is about total perceived value. Individually it means NOTHING. Regardless of the game they bundle, a free game is, a free game. Do not fail to understand that when mom and dad walk in to buy Johnny UK a console, and the teller explains that whilst the X1 is more expensive, it comes with a free retail game (which may happen to be the most successful UK sports franchise) and the Kinect, that the perceived value of the system increases. Cost is irrelevant here. These are luxury purchases; and the only thing that dictates luxury expenses is the perceived level of value in relation to the competition. Free is a hard word to compete against, even if the total cost of the system is higher. "Free" (anything) is a trump card at retail.

The rest of your post was to the point and mostly spot on.

shinnn

Again, how? It's still coming to the PS4 earlier, cheaper and releasing in more countries.
X360 only released in the UK at launch. Now Xbox One is launching in 7 countries. With FIFA been bundled exclusively they could grow up in the market. When did Sony announced their launch markets?

Vire

It would make sense if MS realized that a majority of European countries can not access the full range of XBL making Xbone a pretty unattractive product. Sadly, they do not.

How is this any different than the PS4? Xbox One is DRM free now last I checked.

LOL exactly what i was thinking. I sence a lot of hate towards them simply because MS can afford all of this. Im lovin it!

As someone who preordered an XB1 last weekend I too welcome free pack-in games, whatever they may be. Being in North America I hope its something other than FIFA though.

Keep complaining people so Microsoft keeps sweetening the pot!

It being cheaper than the PS3 and coming out sooner is what got them the market share. Call of Duty and Battlefield weren't on the radar when the 360 and PS3 first came out.

Top Bottom