• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CVG: Microsoft to reveal 'major 3rd party game' comes free with X1 [MCV: FIFA 14]

Trevelyon

How hilarious would it be if that was the date.

Now, imagine a gold and pressed edition of FIFA 14 for PS4 sitting idle for a month or more because of some arbitrary exclusivity deal struck up because one company is neck deep in bad press, especially after dropping half of the continent they're to directly appeal to with something like this.

I sincerely hope when PS4 launches in Euro territories (*if early as rumours suggest) it will have FIFA 14 as a launch title. Otherwise, this *free edition of '14 with XBO doesn't really bother me that much.

Alchemist

X360 only released in the UK at launch. Now Xbox One is launching in 7 countries. With FIFA been bundled exclusively they could grow up in the market. When did Sony announced their launch markets?

Sony haven't announced their launch markets. We'll find out tomorrow and you can bet more 7 European countries will be on the list.

Bundling FIFA won't help them outside of the UK. They're better off dropping the price of the console worldwide.

demolitio

Will / should Sony counter this with an Ubisoft exclusive pack-in or something? Or is Driveclub enough (and some other freebies I forgot)?

I really don't think they need to counter this except for maybe advertising all the F2P games only they have and at least have one already on the HDD. Driveclub also helps if they keep talking about that as well but I don't think they're in the position where they need to spend more money to appease anyone.

It's still cheaper to just get a PS4 and buy FIFA when it comes out afterall. If MS wasn't in this position, they wouldn't bother spending the cash to get this but they're the ones that need more advantages.

steinmc

I've realized so, so I don't actually know the difference. But again, less markets, releasing later, more expensive. Horrible signs for Xbox One.

Thats true, the gap between Xbox360 and PS3 was smaller than PS2 and the original Xbox.

With Xbox One the gap will be widened except MS drops Kinect, lowers the price to 349 / 399 in March for Europe. Even than MS would loose in Euope, but I Think in that case the Xbox One would not be a desaster in Europe.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
It doesn't even make up the price difference between PS4 and X1, so I don't see how a multiplatform game would have a huge impact. Something exclusive (or "exclusive") would make more sense.

Perception is a maor part of this, though. A lot of people see the word "free" and won't bother doing the math.

shinnn

Are you sure about that? According to Wikipedia it launched at the same time across most of Europe.
uh yeah.. I was completely wrong.

They actually launched in more EU countries, but two weeks later.

X360 launch:
Eurozone, Norway, Sweden, UK, Latvia, Finland, Ireland, Portugal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_launch

XB1 launch:
Austria, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Spain, United Kingdom

So this will do nothing for MS.

This is a great move from Microsoft. I didn't chip in earlier when people were saying it couldn't be FIFA, but it's not as big a gamble for EA as you might think. they've just guaranteed that the Xbox One port is profitable. the majority of sales of this game aren't and weren't going to be on the Xbox One.

but for Europe, it's a good sweetener. I'll be interested to see if MS have anything similar planned for America.

I wonder what EA will do if the ONe really falls behind the PS4 sales. Will they cancel their partnership?

why would they? the more PS4 owners there are, the more PS4 copies of FIFA they can sell. they'll have very likely taken enough money from MS to guarantee FIFA is profitable on Xbox One. FIFA 14 is still going to predominantly sell to people on systems that they already own. Very few people are going to buy an Xbox One for FIFA 14, even with this deal. This move is very low risk when you think about it from EA's perspective.

Ok, I really think this is a smart move by Microsoft. A free game is a free game, and its a new game as well.

However, what matters most as to whether this free game will be successful in moving Xbox One units is the release dates of each system and Fifa itself.

Right now, it looks like Fifa is releasing on next gen systems on September 26th in Europe. If the PS4 releases on October 21st as rumored, then PS4 console owners could pick up Fifa to go with their new PS4 for a price cheaper than the Xbox One with Free Fifa. If the Xbox One is not going to release until, for example, the second week in November (we dont know, but MS said November so I am picking the middle) that would have given gamers in Europe nearly 3 weeks that they could have been playing FIFA 14 on PS4 before the Xbox One even came out.

So the big question is, will gamers decide to wait on an Xbox One with a free FIFA 14 for about $40 more or would they rather get FIFA and a PS4 for cheaper and own it approx 3 weeks earlier? I wonder if gamers would be willing to wait a few weeks just to pay more and get a Free Fifa, or whether they would want to play it NOW.

Of course, including FIFA for free would be a huge move if both systems release in Europe at nearly the same time. Many gamers wouldn't have a problem waiting 1 week instead of 3 weeks.

Now, for the countries where the Xbox One has been delayed in Europe, I dont see a Free FIFA helping anything. I do not believe gamers are going to wait 3-4 months to buy an Xbox One with a Free FIFA when they could have been playing it on PS4, for cheaper, for months.

I think the people this will help the most are gamers that are considering both systems. You can now go ahead and buy the Xbox One, so you can capitalize on the free game. If the system comes out later than the PS4, then you wouldn't have to buy FIFA on PS4 and could wait a bit until the system comes out to play it. Meanwhile, you could get your next gen gaming fix on a PS4.

Muselbert

As I said, it is about total perceived value. Individually it means NOTHING. Regardless of the game they bundle, a free game is, a free game. Do not fail to understand that when mom and dad walk in to buy Johnny UK a console, and the teller explains that whilst the X1 is more expensive, it comes with a free retail game (which may happen to be the most successful UK sports franchise) and the Kinect, that the perceived value of the system increases. Cost is irrelevant here. These are luxury purchases; and the only thing that dictates luxury expenses is the perceived level of value in relation to the competition. Free is a hard word to compete against, even if the total cost of the system is higher. "Free" (anything) is a trump card at retail.

The rest of your post was to the point and mostly spot on.

Well, but there surely will be PS4 Bundles with Games like FIFA as well. And in that case we're at 469€ vs 499€ again (don't know UK prices...). Or in case of Amazon.de 489€ for PS4 with Game X and Drive Club (full version, not PS+, they sent me and lots of other people I know a 50€ discount voucher for drive club). And unlike XBone there is not one game that is forced onto you whether you like it or not. If they said you can pick one XBone Game for free out of the Launch Titles the situation might be different. Because good luck selling a game that everybody gets for free with the console...

SiRatul

Will / should Sony counter this with an Ubisoft exclusive pack-in or something? Or is Driveclub enough (and some other freebies I forgot)?

I think if this deal is indeed happening, Sony only has to put more emphasis on the PS+ IGC and announce one big exclusive more than they are planning to in GC to sway the people. The PS4 is still cheaper with FIFA 14 after all and I would love to see Sony pull out some of the big guns.

Krilekk

Banned
I'm actually surprised MS doesn't use their unlimited ressources to moneyhat whatever they think will make them win. It'd be totally unfair but what would prevent them from sacrificing a couple of billions in the grand scheme of things? The XBox brand looks like their only chance to win over the consumer market in the mobile space, which is oh so important for them.

Pretty much. They paid 9 billion for Skype and will never make that back, they should spend 5 billion on exklusive deals.

I'm also interested in seeing retailer response to this.

Hopefully when it's announced tomorrow MCV will question retailers to see how they will react to this. FIFA is definitely a big game for them to lose sales on. Sure it's out on everything else
except WiiU
but it's a big new shiny and next gen priced game for them to sell to people... or could have.

Why would it be more when they can still simply buy a PS4 and the game separately for less than the price of the Xbox One. Not to mention there will probably be more people buying it for PlayStation in general.

Maybe some people prefer an Xbox One over a PS4? I know we have a tendency to think that the entire world speaks with one voice, but there's plenty enough people that want an Xbox One instead of a PS4, or even want both, but are a tad more excited about the Xbox One. Just because a PS4 + Fifa might be cheaper, it still doesn't mean that a person interested in Fifa will automatically make that choice. What if someone who wants Fifa also happens to think Kinect is cool, or what if they determine that they also want games like Dead Rising 3, Project Spark, Quantum Break, Killer Instint, Forza 5, Titanfall, Ryse or Halo?

Long story short, which is cheaper may not be the only thing that factors into a buyer's decision. They might actually really just want an Xbox One more than a PS4 for whatever reason, and this Fifa deal, if it's real, may just help sweeten the decision they've already made.

Moobabe

I'm also interested in seeing retailer response to this.

Hopefully when it's announced tomorrow MCV will question retailers to see how they will react to this. FIFA is definitely a big game for them to lose sales on. Sure it's out on everything else
except WiiU
but it's a big new shiny and next gen priced game for them to sell to people... or could have.

Management doesn't seem to concerned - but he's a huge fan of MS.

Indications:

1. They are getting mollywhopped by Sony in preorders and sales.

2. Pathetic moneyhatting.

Or they're conscious about the appearance of the PS4 being a better value while being $100 cheaper, and are doing something to make the Xbox One look like a better value.

Arnie

Indications:

1. They are getting mollywhopped by Sony in preorders and sales.

2. Pathetic moneyhatting.

:lol

It's not making Fifa 14 exclusive, is it. How is it pathetic?

Just means consumers are getting more value for that price. It's a fantastic move in all respects.

Steroyd

This is an interesting method of adding value to their console before it's even launched, although if it is Fifa then it must have cost a shitload of money to pull this off.

That said I also question how effective this will be, unless Sony is doing a similarly staggered launch in Europe this seems almost wasteful to MS appealing to the European market given how they're launching and EA makes bank for nothing.

On the bright side a certain number of people aren't going to pay out of their ass double dipping... even though I question if the leap from PS360 --> PS4/X1 version will be worth it.

Maybe some people prefer an Xbox One over a PS4? I know we have a tendency to think that the entire world speaks with one voice, but there's plenty enough people that want an Xbox One instead of a PS4, or even want both, but are a tad more excited about the Xbox One. Just because a PS4 + Fifa might be cheaper, it still doesn't mean that a person interested in Fifa will automatically make that choice. What if someone who wants Fifa also happens to think Kinect is cool, or what if they determine that they also want games like Dead Rising 3, Project Spark, Quantum Break, Killer Instint, Forza 5, Titanfall, Ryse or Halo?

Long story short, which is cheaper may not be the only thing that factors into a buyer's decision. They might actually really just want an Xbox One more than a PS4 for whatever reason, and this Fifa deal, if it's real, may just help sweeten the decision they've already made.

It'll definitely be enough to sway some people, and it looks generous at the same time. Even people with only the slightest passing interest in FIFA will be happy about this.

It's not going to make a big difference in the grand scheme of things, but it's a good PR move from Microsoft and one that doesn't leave them with any egg on their face. That's encouraging, because it's basically the first such move so far.

I'm going PS4, but it's started getting boring watching Microsoft repeatedly fall flat on their face.

Trevelyon

:lol

It's not making Fifa 14 exclusive, is it. How is it pathetic?.

There's certainly potential for this deal to make sure both next-gen launch side by side in Europe, so a potential delay on the PS4 version until the XBO is launched exists (to maximize the existing free with ONE deal) be that week to a month or more, who can say..... until tomorrow?

This is an interesting method of adding value to their console before it's even launched, although if it is Fifa then it must have cost a shitload of money to pull this off.
why? how much did you expect the Xbox One version of Fifa 14 to sell in the first year of the console being out?

Dysun

Pre-order numbers in Europe must have been abysmal for Microsoft to do this.
In any case, it's good for gamers and I hope they do it here in the US as well with something else. I wouldn't buy one anyway, but competition is good

FIFA 14 was being advertised on the perimeter boards of the Man City - Newcastle match that has just finished, and unlike previous FIFAs it sports the Xbox logo.

Strange stuff to see after all these years.

Iacobellis

FIFA 14 was being advertised on the perimeter boards of the Man City - Newcastle match that has just finished, and unlike previous FIFAs it sports the Xbox logo.

Strange stuff to see after all these years.

tumblr_mha57lvLwU1rdvjhwo1_500.gif

Pretty much. They paid 9 billion for Skype and will never make that back, they should spend 5 billion on exklusive deals.

Shareholders. They already hate the hardware division and Xbox. MS spending an unlimited amount of money to buy a victory but lose shit loads money would be a losing proposition for the board.

Steroyd

why? how much did you expect the Xbox One version of Fifa 14 to sell in the first year of the console being out?

Quite alot, Fifa is as big as it gets in Europe especially in in the UK, and I'm expecting it to sell quite a bit on next gen systems, not 1 copy per console sold attatch rate, but a high percentage.

ToyBroker

Banned
There is loyalty to your achievement and friendlist. That's enough for some people.

Nah, that's not happening this time around.

When a new console cycle starts, all that shit is 100% up in the air.

It all boils down to the early adopters. Those groups of people really set the stage for what console their friends/family buy.

Vire

Is there somewhere I can look up sales to install base ratio comparatively?

Is FIFA bigger in Europe than Madden is in the US?

Bsigg12

So you'd let your wife cheat on you with all of your friends at once, on video, while you (and the NSA) watched, as long as she gave you a free game?

BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT YOU'RE SAYING

Someone call the director, NullPointer figured out our plan. #NSA4LIFE #WeDontCareAboutYourPrivacy #AllYourWivesBelongToUs

Sorry, I got carried away with hashtags

Is there somewhere I can look up sales to install base ratio comparatively?

Is FIFA bigger in Europe than Madden is in the US?

By far. It's so much further reaching than Madden could ever hope. They are still making FIFA on the PS2 for that very reason.

Drek

Perception is a maor part of this, though. A lot of people see the word "free" and won't bother doing the math.

Yes, because it takes "math" to know that a $500 system + free game costs more than a $400 system + $60 game.

See, this is the fucking problem. Microsoft's management would probably agree with the above quoted post. So far over the last few months they've made it quite clear that they believe the average consumer to be completely idiotic and susceptible to the most basic levels of pandering and heavy handed misrepresentations possible.

And people wonder why there is a generally negative reaction towards them.

Wynnebeck

Banned

Yeah, let me stop you right there. Price is one of if not the biggest determining factor for families buying a system this fall. It doesn't matter if you pack in a free game. That price difference is going to get noticed. MS can try gas people up all day with this "perceived value", but if it's not adding anything significant to the consumer and your competitor is offering virtually the same thing, why wouldn't yo go with the cheaper alternative?

Can someone please explain to me why money hatting is such a bad thing?

It's pretty much what any business with half a brain should do. Purchase content that you think your user base/potential new customers want to bring in that all important cash.

If they have the money... why not?

Moobabe

Yeah, let me stop you right there. Price is one of if not the biggest determining factor for families buying a system this fall. It doesn't matter if you pack in a free game. That price difference is going to get noticed. MS can try gas people up all day with this "perceived value", but if it's not adding anything significant to the consumer and your competitor is offering virtually the same thing, why wouldn't yo go with the cheaper alternative?

Exactly - youcould to buy wireless adapters and an HD DVD add on for 360 (the equivalent of which was included in the PS3 price) but it's about perceived value. The 360, as it stood, was cheaper.

Can someone please explain to me why money hatting is such a bad thing?

It's pretty much what any business with half a brain should do. Purchase content that you think your user base/potential new customers want to bring in that all important cash.

If they have the money... why not?
It is good business, for sure but we are end users, consumers - we are not businesses.

Moneyhats, buying exclusives, exclusive DLC, timed exclusives all that jazz is bad for consumers, it reduces choice.

Top Bottom