• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daigasso! Band Brothers P |Import Discussion| Project Iwatoid P

Shurayuki

By the way one of the new uploads was IkimonoGakari - Kimagure Romantic (PV), very fun song, although more of a silly summer song than x-mas but hey.

multiple? I can only choose between "me" and "original"...

Yeah but you can somehow "scout" other artists, which seems to be downloading other peoples artists after you played with them?
I'm so busy with making lists I can't actually delve into the game and do anything with it x.x

Earlier there was talk about getting Barbara after listening to her radio station as a scouted artist?
Can somebody elaborate on how to get her, don't have her in my game yet, would be nice.

^ slow slow you did thanks!

By the way one of the new uploads was IkimonoGakari - Kimagure Romantic (PV), very fun song, although more of a silly summer song than x-mas but hey.

huh, could swear I've heard this before, but I couldn't tell you where.

Earlier there was talk about getting Barbara after listening to her radio station as a scouted artist?
Can somebody elaborate on how to get her, don't have her in my game yet, would be nice.

Near the top of the radio stations list there should be one that I believe has a shopping cart icon. Once you start listening, there will be a link to the eShop on the bottom screen where you can download Barbara.

Shurayuki

huh, could swear I've heard this before, but I couldn't tell you where.

Hm, maybe somebody posted it on GAF or somwhere because of the 8bit-art? There were many bit art threads in the past year.
I think I paid attention to the song because of that but don't remember where it was I read about it.

Near the top of the radio stations list there should be one that I believe has a shopping cart icon. Once you start listening, there will be a link to the eShop on the bottom screen where you can download Barbara.

Aaah, Barbara GETS, thank you. That's what you get for not paying attention to the radio stuff.
Ahhh there's a scary robot though!
I'll freely admit I'd pay for official vocaloids of favorite artists or ones like Miku BRS etc.

Zornica

Banned
barbara might actually be a better voice for a few of my songs.
should also fit better for haruhi or evangelion stuff..

xk0sm0sx

okay so wait
what's the deal with DX's radio? i never touched it

have i been missing out

Nah it's just something as simple as compiling songs into a playlist and play it, even when the 3DS is closed. It also has the ability to mix songs into piano, jazz, NES, orchestra styles etc (and it works very well). I don't know why Nintendo refused to put in such a basic functionality.

Nah it's just something as simple as compiling songs into a playlist and play it, even when the 3DS is closed. It also has the ability to mix songs into piano, jazz, NES, orchestra styles etc (and it works very well). I don't know why Nintendo refused to put in such a basic functionality.

Oh, that sounds neat.
I guess most of the changes are due to the fact that the radio is now primarily integrated into the online song list rather than your downloaded songs. Because it disconnects from the Internet when you close the 3DS (at least Band Bros does) and I'd imagine that it downloads the fully rendered songs rather than the MIDI tracks given the fact that the songs have the Vocaloids, I guess it was necessary for them to remove those features.
Still, there's a radio station for downloaded songs, I believe. It'd be neat if they at least added that functionality to that station.

Nonetheless, I'll need to go check this out in DX when I get the chance.

Zornica

Banned
was the radio also in jam with the band?
I know there was some kind of radio in it, but I never used it...

I was thinking about creating a song... but I have no idea where to start. any advice?

I was thinking about creating a song... but I have no idea where to start. any advice?

Find a MIDI, heh.

Generally you'll want the end result to sound better than the MIDI, but if you open it up in a MIDI editor you can save a lot of time figuring out the notes and timing yourself. Once you have it transcribed into the game, you can then go and do some touch-up to make it sound better.

Also if you plan on doing a song with lyrics you should at least have some familiarity with kana and Japanese pronunciation or you're gonna have a bad time.

Zornica

Banned
so... did I read that correct?
If I submit a song, I get some tomatoes if someone buys it, or even if no one wants it oO?

just took a look at the editor... not sure if can do this

what's the difference between do-re-mi and the piano? Even after reading the description I don't get it.

If I submit a song, I get some tomatoes if someone buys it, or even if no one wants it oO?

just took a look at the editor... not sure if can do this

what's the difference between do-re-mi and the piano? Even after reading the description I don't get it.

wait whuuuuh?
you get tomatoes for submitting stuff?
... maybe i should get on that...

There's really no difference between the two modes. It's just whichever input you find simpler.

xk0sm0sx

was the radio also in jam with the band?
I know there was some kind of radio in it, but I never used it...

I'll be serious, I had no musical knowledge and it just took me at least a year to finally understand how to use this tool to compose music.
I now do it semi frequently to create my own tracks (needed for my own games). Maybe you can start by trying to copy some songs.
I really like that the composer is so beginner friendly. I can't do the same with any PC composer haha.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/anej/tomato/index.html

The site lists 3 ways to get paid.
1 : You'll only get paid if lots of people downloaded your songs. It suggests a way to get high downloads by looking at the song request list.
2 : Make a favorite list of up to 10 songs. You'll get rewarded when you play online and someone decides to download a song from your favourite list.
3 : If you submit lots of tracks or play the game alot, she might give you a reward.

Yeah, I have basically no musical knowledge aside from, like, elementary school piano lessons or whatever, and I've found it all to be really friendly. After asking some people who DO know music for advice, I think I have pretty much a full grasp on the software... aside from the guitar parts, which I still need to figure out, heh.
Like I said, start by trying to transcribe a MIDI and then go from there.
Plus the thread is here to help!

In other news, it seems that Sonic music is fair game!
Now I just need someone to make You Can Do Anything and cheesy Crush40 nonsense~

xk0sm0sx

Yeah, I have basically no musical knowledge aside from, like, elementary school piano lessons or whatever, and I've found it all to be really friendly. After asking some people who DO know music for advice, I think I have pretty much a full grasp on the software... aside from the guitar parts, which I still need to figure out, heh.
Like I said, start by trying to transcribe a MIDI and then go from there.
Plus the thread is here to help!

In other news, it seems that Sonic music is fair game!
Now I just need someone to make You Can Do Anything and cheesy Crush40 nonsense~

Somehow I clicked hoping to have Miku singing to it~

JKTrix

If you guys just want to make music, you really should give the Korg program a shot. It's in English, which is a bonus too.

Shurayuki

Oh yeah like I said I don't watch anime, but I guess having one of the Attack on Titans OPs will be exciting for a number of people?
Having german in there is certainly hilarious: Jiyuu no Tobira ♪BandBros♪

Yeah welcome to the club, you're kinda forced to look into it if you want to play something specific.
No idea how to go about it either. Heh.

If you guys just want to make music, you really should give the Korg program a shot. It's in English, which is a bonus too.

Well ignoring that the biggest motivation here is probably wanting to play something specific within this game engine, the Korg 'games' emulate the synthesizers, which isn't exactly the same as putting together a pretend-band like here (it's better to speak in absolutes if you don't really know if what you're saying is true, harder for others to disagree ;D). But since people put oin concerts with them, they seem to be pretty good if a synth is what you're looking for.

god figuring out how to get twangy-ass genesis sound is gonna be impossible
(i've been inspired)

This is all really the first time I've tried my hand at making any music. I guess my primary motivation for doing it in Band Bros is the fact that I want to play these songs in the game, which isn't really applicable to any other music composition software.

Yeah they do that to you. The midi idea seems like sound (heh) advice, might try that some day.
This and Rocksmith are like the only really motivating pieces of software where I go "damn I have to write music now", tried out Vocaloid for an hour or so but couldn't really get anything out of it, and really I'm only learning guitar to play songs I like.

Funny guitar is the one thing you haven't wrapped your head around, that's what would be my first goto point because that's the only thing I know about at least a bit, halp ;_;

Musics how do they work.

Yay, Chemical Plant Zone done in just a few hours~
Remarkable how much shorter making songs is when you don't need to deal with lyrics. I might just stick to instrumental stuff for a while, heh.
I couldn't get it sound quite as Genesis-y as I'd like, but I at least think it's one or two rungs above a shitty MIDI version.

Let's see if I can get through submission quickly this time...

Shurayuki

Yay, Chemical Plant Zone done in just a few hours~
Remarkable how much shorter making songs is when you don't need to deal with lyrics. I might just stick to instrumental stuff for a while, heh.
I couldn't get it sound quite as Genesis-y as I'd like, but I at least think it's one or two rungs above a shitty MIDI version.

Let's see if I can get through submission quickly this time...

I can see it in your eyes, you're just hungry for 'em tomatoes now ;P
Well good luck.

Zornica

Banned
create a nice outro for chemical planet and I will buy it :p

:/ only 2 more days.... until my winter holidays start. I need to earn some tomatoes...
But I only have some very obscure songs in mind.

btw: when you start creating a new track, with which instrument should I start? drums?

create a nice outro for chemical planet and I will buy it :p

:/ only 2 more days.... until my winter holidays start. I need to earn some tomatoes...
But I only have some very obscure songs in mind.

btw: when you start creating a new track, with which instrument should I start? drums?

Oh gosh, I would need to improvise some sort of outro, I don't think there's any official one...
I don't know if I'm cut out for any sort of original composition D:
(edit: oh, duh, i could just do a fade out... wish i had thought of that before submitting)

I pretty much always start with the part I know best, usually the melody. I'm generally better able to gauge whether the timing is correct on that part and then fit stuff around it accordingly.
... really, it'd probably be smart to start with drums too, but drum sections kinda intimidate me, heh.

Shurayuki

Dude :eek: Go to sleep yo ;P

I pretty much always start with the part I know best, usually the melody. I'm generally better able to gauge whether the timing is correct on that part and then fit stuff around it accordingly.
... really, it'd probably be smart to start with drums too, but drum sections kinda intimidate me, heh.

Do you use Sheet music/tabs at all?
Drums are something I have zero idea of but there's also a lack of tabs for them :/
Since they usually carry the rhythm that would be disastrous to bungle up though...

It's also weird that again a day after the one Kimagure Romantic another showed up, copycats? ;D
Many songs with multiple versions by now.

Do you use Sheet music/tabs at all?
Drums are something I have zero idea of but there's also a lack of tabs for them :/
Since they usually carry the rhythm that would be disastrous to bungle up though...

Yeah, nobody really writes tabs for drums.
If I can find a good MIDI I'll just nab the drums from that. It's one of the easier parts to copy over to Band Bros, really.

Otherwise I'll just sorta scour the web for whatever the most broken down version of a song I can find is. A karaoke track, instrumental version, whatever, and then just sorta play it by ear from there.
... but I'm still not so good at picking out drum tracks, so I've never actually gotten around to anything more than just sorta messing around a bit. Maybe someday I'll try copying down a drum track by ear.

Thus far I've only really used sheet music for my poor attempts at writing guitar sections, heh. No idea about how tabs or any of that are composed, so rather than going by notes, I just directly use the tabs on the music.
Still don't quite understand how all that strumming nonsense works. Ah well. I could always ask friends for advice, and my sister plays guitar, so I have options. Soon I'll have a finished guitar track!

edit: FUCK noticed a mistake in my submitted track, ugh. I COULD SWEAR I LOOKED IT THROUGH THIS TIME BUT IT KEEPS HAPPENINGGGGG
hope something gets mucked up so i can add fade out at the end and fix this error

Zornica

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS4e5LekJKo
I still don't have a clue what these melodies are for.

the idea is that If you are stuck in a crowded train and missed the station announcement / can't take a look outside, the melody should give you a clue at which station you are currently, at least in theory. and each (yamanote line) station has it's own unique melody.

after watching your video and reading some of the comments, I guess I might've heard it at the tokyo central station...
The ebisu one is kinda funny though...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzHlp7t_-KY
vienna gonna sue
:p

Stan64

Oh, apparently I requested a song. Got a notice on my 3DS to check my mail in-game and there it said my song was available. I could sent thanks and go to the shop to have a listen.

EDIT: Oh, I found Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence and I heard it before though but can't put my finger on it. Did I hear it in a game or an anime? I can't recall. I haven't seen the movie.
http://youtu.be/NkWjsT_SJNI

EDIT 2: Haha, think I found it. An old swedish club hit in nerd clubs. =D
http://youtu.be/2ZumJbA7vT0

Shurayuki

Urks, I have hours of "gameplay" in BandBros already, I'll bet, yet none of it is actually playing, just scouring the store and then recording the downloads, about 2/3rds into my list. Can only be a few hours more 'till I can hope to play...

Not many news on the new songs list I guess, Only My Railgun (BandBros) was mentioned earlier and it's finally up.

Words of wisdom

Well sorry for not replying earlier, europeans and weekends hehe (footballs everywhere!).
Now that you mention it I have no idea how to translate guitar tabs into notes either, playing guitar is just a bunch of numbers to me, ohoh ^^
Maybe that's a good use for all the instrumental versions on CDs which generally go ignored.

Well one day I'll try my hand at this, you seem quite industrious though, keep going!

nice experiment
http://bandbros-p.nintendo.co.jp/music/musicDetail/index/16914
didn't knew something like this was possible
and it even sounds pretty good.

Hah yeah that's actually neat, I've seen some vocaloid versions of...songs you wouldn't think they'd do (anthems and the like) and some actually work out ok, though most are just hilariously off.

Stan64

As stated in the game. You might get tomatoes if you play the game a lot. What is the criteria for that I wonder... Need to play online? Or is it sufficient to play offline? I played online for 3-5 times only but gotten MVP like 10 times. And I'm halfway through playing lead on all of my 90~ songs.

Shurayuki

As stated in the game. You might get tomatoes if you play the game a lot. What is the criteria for that I wonder... Need to play online? Or is it sufficient to play offline? I played online for 3-5 times only but gotten MVP like 10 times. And I'm halfway through playing lead on all of my 90~ songs.

Well I have a hard time imagining they'd just hand them out like that.
Where did they say that? I have a bad case of tutorial-button-masheritis.
Your only chance would probably be the start of next/a month, since the official homepage thing on tomatoes says that's when you get the renumeration for your created music. (And 'referrals' too I'd guess)

My best guess is that they meant that if you play a lot (online) it's more likely somebody purchases a song through your recommendation list rewarding you with a pseudo-referral.

Stan64

Where did they say that?

I got the info from a earlier post on this page.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/anej/tomato/index.html

The site lists 3 ways to get paid.
1 : You'll only get paid if lots of people downloaded your songs. It suggests a way to get high downloads by looking at the song request list.
2 : Make a favorite list of up to 10 songs. You'll get rewarded when you play online and someone decides to download a song from your favourite list.
3 : If you submit lots of tracks or play the game alot, she might give you a reward.

Shurayuki

I got the info from a earlier post on this page.

Ah yeah now I see it, it's in Barbara's speech bubble, it does say that.
I don't think it's supposed to be another method though, it gives the four methods to get them (1-100 free 2-Buy 3-Song Creation 4-recommendation referral) in categories, why not mention this anywhere else and outside of these.

Eh I didn't even pay attention to that because I figured it's just flavor text, I wouldn't count on getting tomatoes that way, but if it makes you play the game even better ;D

Does anyone think they will release this in North America? The other game skipped NA :( I mean there is a Nintendo Direct coming up so I hope so!

Well just wait and see tomorrow I guess, with the lack of on-disc content it's probably easy to localize as far as the rights situation is concerned, but I have no idea how the whole online shebang goes as far as that is concerned.
Would be funny if there was a western version without some of the annoyances (expiring tomatoes...).

Koppai

Does anyone think they will release this in North America? The other game skipped NA :( I mean there is a Nintendo Direct coming up so I hope so!

Stan64

I had a hard time enjoying Jam with the Band and prefer the Japanese versions actually. Look into 3DS games in Japan, maybe there are more titles you would like to import so it would make it worthwhile to get a machine!

Zornica

Banned
time for some sailor moon
http://bandbros-p.nintendo.co.jp/music/musicDetail/index/17074
I guess...
(the european theme is soooo much better :7)

I also wouldn't mind the 2nd DBZ opening

and some idol master
http://bandbros-p.nintendo.co.jp/music/musicDetail/index/16071

http://bandbros-p.nintendo.co.jp/music/musicDetail/index/17078
this one sounds kinda like a rythm heaven song...
speaking of... I hope they add some of the tracks from the wii version soon...
especially certain remixes.

and another entry in the "not-quite-I AM IMPACT category"
http://bandbros-p.nintendo.co.jp/music/musicDetail/index/17155

well now that i'm on break i guess that means it's time to make a bunch of shit
why am i doing another song with lyrics FUCK
also i am the worst at volume balancing. someday i will figure it out

I've recently realized that what's motivated me to make stuff isn't creativity or the desire to improve or anything like that, but rather impatience. People need to make songs I want faster.

oh also free tomatoes wouldn't hurt~

also

Urks, I have hours of "gameplay" in BandBros already, I'll bet, yet none of it is actually playing, just scouring the store and then recording the downloads, about 2/3rds into my list. Can only be a few hours more 'till I can hope to play...

holy shit

my 90~ songs.

holy shit

Zornica

Banned
Europeans made this tho http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8dXOz_XZL8

Curious about the version you remember, I just skimmed YouTube and had no idea it was so different in different places.

this is the version we got
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCC_-1gVE5Q

I might be bias though... after all it's part of my childhood :p
I asked a friend who is into music once, he told me that this version is actually pretty nifty when it comes to the composition itself.

kinda offtopic:
if your are interested in openings that differed greatly from the version you know...
this might be a good start, it's the same yet completely different :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTcwZ6gRXnQ

also this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFEBaAxO7W0

Most of them were the same though, or at least the same as the japanese versions (with higher quality instrumentation) like for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp4Fqywmmg4
vs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEJfZbgnufg
(or the album version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWiVxPN2Q3w)

btw... I hope someone does the dbz intro2 for this game :7 (before I have to...)

Oh man, nice playing. Invader Invader is probably one of my most played songs, it's super catchy and I didn't even know about it before I saw it in-game.

I've been meaning to record some footage as well. One of my friends has the game along with a JP 3DS that has a capture card, so I meant to get around to recording some multiplayer with them but I never did. At the very least, I wanted some good gameplay footage to stick in the OP so people could get an idea of how it plays.

Stan64

Oh, I'm gonna record some more tomorrow and upload to Youtube when I get a full combo. You can use that if you want to! Facebook butchered the quality...

My setup is hardly perfect, the white thing in the bottom is a Wii holding my phone upright and it's all moving because I'm breathing... xD

I tried horizontal recording I'm gonna do tomorrow, I had two Wiis stacked on each other and the phone in a Wiimote jacket and it was supported by two 3DS-systems...

fr4nz

Yeah especially with slow shipping and/or holdups at the airport I've had 5-6+ weeks with Play-Asia. You can try the shipping number at your local post to see if you get tracking information.

Yes ! finally received my copy :)
83d604fe67ba11e3a1220e5f4159120b_8.jpg

shipped on Nov 14 ... I really thought it was lost :)

JKTrix

My Japanese is incredibly spotty so I didn't catch most of what Iwata said just now on the Japanese 'Direct', but it sounds like significant updates are coming to the game. Download play, online play with 3DS friends, other stuff...

Top Bottom