• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III Gamescom Demo Impressions + Footage

abaldwin360

Neo Member
It seems like they have done away with duel wielding/power stance - at least in the way that it existed in Dark Souls II, which is too bad, it was one of my favorite aspects of that game.

It seems like they have done away with duel wielding/power stance - at least in the way that it existed in Dark Souls II, which is too bad, it was one of my favorite aspects of that game.

I'm pretty sure they said traditional dual wielding is in. Also, how would you even get that from a demo where they couldn't play around with inventory/equipment?

Mandelbo

Count me in for team L3 jump. That was one of my favourite additions to DS2 since it was way more reliable for me than "hold O, release then quickly tap O", not to mention it also allows for rolling while running.

mcz117chief

The shield moving during attacks adheres to basic principles of animation and the game looks better for it. If every enemy with a shield held it stiffly while swinging their sword it would look boring and probably very same-y across enemy types.

It would also make the game worse if the optimal tactic for every encounter was "r1+forward, then attack." The way it is now, you have more options. Souls combat is already based on a fairly simple set of actions; they don't need to pare it down further, especially for the sake of realism.

I guess you are right

abaldwin360

Neo Member
Imru’ al-Qays;174299955 said:
Combat looks great, but I'm not sold on the limited number of uses for weapon arts. Seems a bit arbitrary and "gamey."

I was just thinking the same thing. I'm really going to miss the way dual wielding worked in Dark Souls II where you could power stance and get a new move set.

I'm pretty sure they said traditional dual wielding is in. Also, how would you even get that from a demo where they couldn't play around with inventory/equipment?

I was going off the impressions of how the weapon arts work. I hope it's still there, it was my favorite part of the last Dark Souls.

Walpurgis

Banned
I was just thinking the same thing. I'm really going to miss the way dual wielding worked in Dark Souls II where you could power stance and get a new move set.

I was going off the impressions of how the weapon arts work. I hope it's still there, it was my favorite part of the last Dark Souls.

I didn't even know about powerstancing with dual wield weapons for like the first quarter of Dark Souls II. I actually liked having 2 one handed swords and sometimes switch to that. I can't believe they took that out.

spliced

Finished the Oroboro/DreadedCone video, added the notes to the OP, some particular points:

+ DS1-style movement, "DS3 feels like an awesome DS1 DLC"
+ DS1-style stamina, running/sprinting cheap, battle actions very costly
+ DS1-style parrying, but you can only parry with small shields (buckler, target, small leather shield, NOT kite shield, other medium shields, etc)
+ DS1-style "instant" estus healing, chugging allowed
+ Kicking is improved, you can guard break and riposte off kicks
+ Jumping R2 can now also be activated while sprinting, while locked or unlocked, character does not stop to do the weapon animation
+ All weapon combos are strung together very smoothly, R1 L1 R1 is faster than R1 R1 R1
+ DS3 enemy AI is more consistent than in earlier games, DS3 enemy will punish you more for being aggressive
+ DS3 enemy pathfinding is extremely accurate, enemies will sprint around obstacles and find you if you try to cheese them using obstacles
+ 3 bosses: fat knight, dancer, and a secret boss that looked similar to the final boss but also like "an elite knight that crawled toward you", very j-horror, created a !FROSTBITE! status effect, thought it made you take more damage from the boss's attacks
+ Network test in December/January

Yes! DS1 movement.

The smoother jump attack sounds good.

Frostbite status effect means ice magic I'm guessing.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Jumping with O was clunky and shitty. Lost count of the number of times I accidentally jumped in Bloodborne (worse, jumping is useless in this game too) when I meant to dash and roll instead and then took counter hit damage. Welcome back, L3.

+ Toggle-escape NO
+ DS1-style parrying, but you can only parry with small shields (buckler, target, small leather shield, NOT kite shield, other medium shields, etc)
Noooooo

+ Resting at a bonfire did not replenish weapon arts, but dying did
Wat
That doesn't seem right...

Positive impressions otherwise. But those three, I don't like. At all. I also wish powerstancing was back. :(

Loved the bit where the player baited an enemy knight to get incinerated by a dragon.

Dark Souls 2 looks more and more like a misstep and people at From seems to have succeded at getting their shit together. Lovely.

Osaka15

Banned
After bloodborne, it will be hard to transition to this. However, this still looks better than any other souls games

AJLma

I can see how this is going to be the last one of these(Souls) games.
with a ton of DLC most likely

It looks like DS1 turned up to 10.

Gbraga

dark-souls-iii_2015_0ytk55.jpg

What the fuck is this bullshit?

Fuck off, From Soft.

Count me in for team L3 jump. That was one of my favourite additions to DS2 since it was way more reliable for me than "hold O, release then quickly tap O", not to mention it also allows for rolling while running.

You can roll while running if you're blocking, which is what I worry they'll remove in Dark III, since Dark II also didn't have that when jumping with circle. I just prefer not pressing the stick to jump, I never said I don't like rolling while running, From D:

I did miss jumping with L3 in Bloodborne though, since that game actually didn't have a way to roll while sprinting. Still quite easy to adapt, but it would be better.

So since the scimitars seem to be dual wielded as a single weapon like Bloodborne's Blade of Mercy, does that mean that powerstancing is out?

Gbraga

So since the scimitars seem to be dual wielded as a single weapon like Bloodborne's Blade of Mercy, does that mean that powerstancing is out?

Most likely. It would probably be too much with the weapon arts system.

As much as I liked Power Stancing, I'm somewhat glad they're not keeping it. If they didn't have anything to replace it with, then it would be a shame, but as it is, it just means Dark Souls II has it as its own thing, it's always nice to have particular elements to each game.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
It looks like it has more limbs than it should. Maybe it's this game's variation of the "woman with a huge unsettling animal torso", with a millipede this time.

Except it has a human spine. Man, enemy designers at From are the best.

abaldwin360

Neo Member

I didn't even know about powerstancing with dual wield weapons for like the first quarter of Dark Souls II. I actually liked having 2 one handed swords and sometimes switch to that. I can't believe they took that out.

Just spoke with someone on reddit who is doing a QA on the gameplay demo and he said, "You can use a weapon in each hand, but power stance seems to be gone, it's only regular attacks, but doing R1 L1 R1 is apparently faster than doing R1 R1 R1"

Though, I suppose that there is really no way to be 100% definite in a demo setting.

Kieli

Another thing that’s new, at least to my recollection: enemies that change stances. When I faced off against one of Dark Souls 3’s knights, he stalked towards me with sword and shield in hand. When I backed away, he decided to switch gears from 'let’s dance' to 'get fucked,' tossed his shield to his back, gripped his sword with both hands, and charged right at me. It was terrifying.

I died.

This is nothing new. There are DS enemies that change stance. I can recall the balder knights and the barbarian in Darkroot.

V-Faction

So, no more dedicated heal button? Hmm.

But gotta say, as much as I loved BB, walking around in a suit of armor again is amazing.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I loved Bloodborne but quit on Dark Souls after 8 hours and it was a struggle to get that far. I didn't like the pace, weight limit, lack of fast travel and that fucking debuff when you die to certain mobs which halves your HP. Does 3 change/fix my dislikes of 1?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I loved Bloodborne but quit on Dark Souls after 8 hours and it was a struggle to get that far. I didn't like the pace, weight limit, lack of fast travel and that fucking debuff when you die to certain mobs which halves your HP. Does 3 change/fix my dislikes of 1?
There is fast travel, but otherwise, no. This game ain't for you.

tcrunch

+ DS3 is slightly faster combat-wise, though not as fast as BB
+ Weight changing your roll/movement speed is extremely likely, it has been part of Souls since the beginning and the gameplay trailer looked like it demonstrated a couple different roll speeds
+ DS3 has DS2-style fast travel (fast travel from the beginning) vs. DS1 where you have to reach a certain point in the game
+ Hollowed state debuffs are an unknown at this point

Gbraga

So, no more dedicated heal button? Hmm.

But gotta say, as much as I loved BB, walking around in a suit of armor again is amazing.

Not enough buttons, I'm guessing. You didn't need L1 for blocking in Bloodborne, so L1 became the "trick button" and triangle was free to act as heal.

I don't think so. Though you should probably give it another shot, most of the things that you disliked are only there and not in Bloodborne because Bloodborne does not have an equivalent. For example, there's no weight limit in Bloodborne, but there's no heavy armor in Bloodborne. Go with light gear or naked and it won't be a problem anymore, lack of fast travel (there is fast travel though, but you have to unlock it) is not as major as it would seem because the world is more interconnected before you get fast travel, with even more shortcuts than in Bloodborne, the debuff is just cursem it's very very rare to be cursed, there are like, what, 2 enemies that can curse you? And one of them is from an optional area even, right?

But yeah, if you don't feel like giving it another shot and just think Dark Souls isn't for you, Dark Souls III probably won't be either.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
+ DS3 is slightly faster combat-wise, though not as fast as BB
+ Weight changing your roll/movement speed is extremely likely, it has been part of Souls since the beginning and the gameplay trailer looked like it demonstrated a couple different roll speeds
+ DS3 has DS2-style fast travel (fast travel from the beginning) vs. DS1 where you have to reach a certain point in the game
+ Hollowed state debuffs are an unknown at this point

So it sounds like DS3 might be worth my time if the hollowed debuffs aren't present, thanks. Hopefully there's an open beta at some point.

Imru’ al-Qays;174299955 said:
Combat looks great, but I'm not sold on the limited number of uses for weapon arts. Seems a bit arbitrary and "gamey."

I know what you mean. I feel like I'm going to finish DS3 with 1000 in stock.

Vitor711

So it sounds like DS3 might be worth my time if the hollowed debuffs aren't present, thanks. Hopefully there's an open beta at some point.

Honestly, sounds like DkS2 is worth your time if you haven't checked that out. While I understand some of the 'hate' the game gets, the DLC is seriously phenomenal and adds like 50% more content to the game. Worth dipping your toes just for that honestly.

Top Bottom