• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III [Import OT] Kindle the fire, one last time

Sanctuary

I'm really impressed with all the locations so far. Really love that they have kept the horror tone from Bloodborne.

Demon's Souls had a horror atmosphere to it as well. It gets labled "grimdark" or even "high fantasy" (wtf?) by some, but dark fantasy by definition is...

Dark fantasy is a subgenre of fantasy which can refer to literary, artistic, and cinematic works that incorporates darker and frightening themes of fantasy. It also often combines fantasy with elements of horror. The term can be used broadly to refer to fantastical works that have a dark, gloomy atmosphere or a sense of horror and dread.

The Demon's Souls and Dark Souls series are notable examples of dark fantasy role-playing action games that feature an undead protagonist character; gigantic and malicious enemies; overarching themes of suicide, murder and war; morally ambiguous actions undertaken by both NPCs and the player; and depressing storylines set in post-apocalyptic kingdoms.

Bloodborne, a spiritual sequel to Demons' Souls, is an example of dark fantasy which heavily borrows its storyline, characterizations and themes from Cthulhu Mythos thus successfully mixing dark fantasy with Lovecraftian horror and Gothic horror.

Jobbs

Banned
Oh, wow. I've never used the app, that camera translation stuff looks super handy -- that actually seems pretty practical.

It's somewhat poor at translating more involved sentences from Japanese to English, but it is quite sufficient for translating simple things like menu options and other short things

Grassy

7.5 hours until the preload is active.

2 AM Australian time is brutal, but I'll be up bright and early tomorrow to enjoy 5 days off work.

4 platinums down, 1 to go.

Ahhh fuck... I thought it was unlocking at midnight here, I'm so hyped I forgot about the time difference between us and Japan. I think I'll just wake up early tomorrow morning and go hard.

Hypron

I'm quite looking forward to playing to a game in a language I don't understand actually, it reminds me of playing Megadrive games in English back when I couldn't understand any of it.

I remember making it pretty far into Wonder Boy in Monster World, even though that game had dialogues and shops. I didn't have access to the internet back then either. Sure I wouldn't want to play every game like that but it kinda adds to the mystery haha.

7.5 hours until the preload is active.

2 AM Australian time is brutal, but I'll be up bright and early tomorrow to enjoy 5 days off work.

4 platinums down, 1 to go.

hahaha 2am is probably the shittiest time for something to release. You don't know whether you should stay up for it or just wake up inhumanely early.

Audette

I'm trying to get a grasp on the style of death penalty this game has, but I can't tell from the stream and my googling doesn't show anything concrete.

I absolutely loved Bloodborne but I failed to get into DS2. Apart from the greatly different flow of rolling/and attacking I hated the level of penalty the game had with the hollowing/limited enemy respawn.

I couldn't find any answer, is there any clear idea how much this game has changed/kept?

Not sure which one you mean, but suffice to say, they haven't shown the final boss anywhere. That would be plain silly.

Just silly enough to work?

No I didn't think so. The guy on the bird does look boss as fuck though and may have been better if I had seen him myself the first time, but oh well. I'm actually more worried about the crawling crowned "lady" with covered eyes being a big spoiler then anything else in that trailer.

I'm trying to get a grasp on the style of death penalty this game has, but I can't tell from the stream and my googling doesn't show anything concrete.

I absolutely loved Bloodborne but I failed to get into DS2. Apart from the greatly different flow of rolling/and attacking I hated the level of penalty the game had with the hollowing/limited enemy respawn.

I couldn't find any answer, is there any clear idea how much this game has changed/kept?

Enemy respawn all time.

And it's more "Ember" or not "Ember". But there is rumor for
hollowing/zombie

Audette

Enemy respawn all time.

And it's more "Ember" or not "Ember". But there is rumor for
hollowing/zombie

What does that do though? Loosing health was such a pain I couldn't get to a point where I could find my stride in DS2 it felt like I was hitting my head on a wall trying to get all the nessisary items to diminish the penalties for dieing. On top of that, enemies disappearing after 10+ Kills was helpful but I was afraid of loosing grinding opportunities due to repeated deaths...so that no longer happens?

Streams certainly don't seem to be loosing max health on deaths..

Ferr986

What does that do though? Loosing health was such a pain I couldn't get to a point where I could find my stride in DS2 it felt like I was hitting my head on a wall trying to get all the nessisary items to diminish the penalties for dieing. On top of that, enemies disappearing after 10+ Kills was helpful but I was afraid of loosing grinding opportunities due to repeated deaths...so that no longer happens?

Streams certainly don't seem to be loosing max health on deaths..

They do lose health, is just not by tiny amounts like DS2. You lose all of the health possible just by 1 death, and you get it back using an ember (like human effigy in 2). Although I think you don't lose as much health as you can in DS2 (may be wrong here)

Enemies respawn endlessly in 3.

Mifec

They do lose health, is just not by tiny amounts like DS2. You lose all of the health possible just by 1 death, and you get it back using an ember (like human effigy in 2). Although I think you don't lose as much health as you can in DS2 (may be wrong here)

Enemies respawn endlessly in 3.

Yes, you lose a chunk at once when you go unkindled, if you use an ember you get it back. It's not gradual like in DS2.

Guru-Guru

Banned
6:30 in Japan right now, debating whether to stay up and wait until it unlocks at midnight and playing all night before work. Only got 2 classes to teach tomorrow, it's definitely tempting...

YeSp

Neo Member
Only 4 hours and 20 minutes to go
latest

TitusTroy

don't know if this has been posted already or not but reviews for the English release of the game are embargoed until 12:01 AM Pacific Time on Monday, April 4, 2016

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
don't know if this has been posted already or not but reviews for the English release of the game are embargoed until 12:01 AM Pacific Time on Monday, April 4, 2016
Can't wait for the straight 8s

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
6:30 in Japan right now, debating whether to stay up and wait until it unlocks at midnight and playing all night before work. Only got 2 classes to teach tomorrow, it's definitely tempting...
So jealous. I'll probably stay and play for an hour or two, but the whole day at work tomorrow will be hell.

Guru-Guru

Banned
So jealous. I'll probably stay and play for an hour or two, but the whole day at work tomorrow will be hell.
Yeah, I am sure it must be way tougher with an actual hard job (i.e. not "teaching" English), which you got, right? Did you try and take any nenkyuu for DS3? I managed to get Friday off.

Mozz-eyes

Banned
Just finished my second run of Bloodborne today in preparation.

Tried to continue with Dark Souls 2 (I'm at the fire castle with the bridge) but it just feels so clunky so I gave up.

Don't think I'll ever finish it...

Needlecrash

Just finished my second run of Bloodborne today in preparation.

Tried to continue with Dark Souls 2 (I'm at the fire castle with the bridge) but it just feels so clunky so I gave up.

Don't think I'll ever finish it...

Might as well finish it. I'm really close to finishing the second one. Just finished all of the DLC areas. Now to actually finish the game while doing stuff for the Dark covenant.

masterkajo

Just read in the wiki that
hexes
are now
miracles
. So you need
int together with faith to cast them but will be using a talisman or maybe a staff for some
. What about
pyromancies then? In the op it seems like you need faith and or int to cast them. Do they replace hexes?
Anything known about this?

aravuus

So it unlocks in a bit over 4 hours? Looks like 5pm for me, which sounds perfect. Not gonna be importing myself, but I'm excited to read impressions throughout the evening, maybe even watch the first couple of hours of yoshi's/pete's stream.

Has anyone invaded yet? I need to know how the invasion eligibility system works, it's going to make or break my purchase of the game. The beta limiting invasions to co-op only was the worst thing and it's why Bloodborne is my least favorite From Software game so far.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Just read in the wiki that
hexes
are now
miracles
. So you need
int together with faith to cast them but will be using a talisman or maybe a staff for some
. What about
pyromancies then? In the op it seems like you need faith and or int to cast them. Do they replace hexes?
Anything known about this?

Pretty sure they went back to the Dark 1 style for hexes. Some are dark sorceries, some are dark miracles, some are dark pyromancies. You'll need the appropriate catalyst, talisman, flame to properly cast each dark variant.

Hypron

4 hours to go

l5BDQq9.gif

l5BDQq9.gif

l5BDQq9.gif

I'm just gonna finish formatting that literature review I'm working on and I'll try to catch like 3 hours of sleep. It's gonna be rough.

Top Bottom