• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Ayer, Margot Robbie Reteam for All-Female DC Villains Movie Gotham City Sirens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleepey

I don't know. What exactly is Ayer's thing?

Here's how his directed films have averaged on Rottentomatoes.

Sabotage - 20% (2014)

Suicide Squad - 26% (2016)

Street Kings - 36% (2008)

Harsh Times - 48% (2006)

Fury - 77% (2014)

End of Watch - 85% (2012)

I feel like David Ayer has directed more bad movies than good movies.

Ain't seen Fury or Harsh times but the rest I loved. I can't complain. Sabotage was like the worst and that was watchable at worst

Chipopo

Banned
I know it's from a comic series but the title sounds corny and outdated and should be changed.

I'm not at all upset about them giving Ayer another chance. I think he has a much more interesting vision than superhack Zack Snyder and has made legitimately memorable movies in the past. The real problem is that WB executives have a habit of cauterizing these projects when they start to become interesting, which almost makes the talent of the director inconsequential.

I'm cautiously optimistic. Hopefully with a new writer and more time for pre-production, we'll get a better result. I'm excited to see these characters and who they cast. Just hoping they get it right this time.

I want to give Ayer the benefit of the doubt and say if they know what movie they're making from the jump, it might not be too bad. But even pre-reshoots you had a giant blue laser and dumb fodder baddies. What a shame.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Ain't seen Fury or Harsh times but the rest I loved. I can't complain. Sabotage was like the worst and that was watchable at worst

Fury is legit fantastic. Where is that David Ayer? Get better writers with a premise that's actually fresh.

So...literally Strong Female Characters, like, unironically...

kZp6EAA.gif

Alienous

Ben Affleck really needs to finish up that script, make his movie and bounce.

I wonder if he can kill Batman off in his movie...

You say this as if any of there solo titles make as much as Harley solo book. The people have spoken with their cash and continued interest.
What are you talking about?

Slayven said he wished they pushed different female characters in their movies, you say she's the most popular. The problem is she's the only female character in any DCU movie that's had more than like 1 minute of screen time so of course she's going to be the most popular female character they have right now.

Ross61

Slayven said he wished they pushed different female characters in their movies, you say she's the most popular. The problem is she's the only female character in any DCU movie that's had more than like 1 minute of screen time so of course she's going to be the most popular female character they have right now.

Why wouldn't they give Harley a movie? She's a great character.

Boke1879

People have been pushing for Harley to be in a movie since she appeared in the animated series. Lets be real here. You had a good Catwoman in Batman Returns.

But people have wanted to see Harley in a movie for the longest. They got that and by and large people loved it. That's why you're getting more.

anaron

yeah no. Harley has been the most popular female DC character for years.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Well...uh...I guess..hey, at least they got a female writer on this. But I just can't willingly get excited for an Ayer DC film after Suicide Squad. I'm not that much of a sucker for pain.

Shaanyboi

Banned
People have been pushing for Harley to be in a movie since she appeared in the animated series. Lets be real here. You had a good Catwoman in Batman Returns.

But people have wanted to see Harley in a movie for the longest. They got that and by and large people loved it. That's why you're getting more.

Not so sure about that...

Why wouldn't they give Harley a movie? She's a great character.
Because she basically already got a movie and it sucked. Especially if they keep Leto on as Joker, I don't have much hope for her in this, considering their scenes were the worst in SS.

She was... alright.. when she wasn't with him.

Shaanyboi

Banned
What? you don't think people loved Harley in this movie? Most people that say this movie loved Margot in this role and that want more.

I wouldn't say people loved the movie as your post suggested. Harley may have been a relative stand-out (relative is the key word there), but that doesn't mean shit for how people responded to the movie itself.

Boke1879

Because she basically already got a movie and it sucked. Especially if they keep Leto on as Joker, I don't have much hope for her in this, considering their scenes were the worst in SS.

It also made bank and she's literally one of the high points of the film among lots of people who watched it. Like even people who didn't like the movie say she did the role justice.

Ross61

She didn' "get" a movie. She was part of an ensemble film. This would give more focus to her character. And I personally like her.

Ponn

Banned
WTF? No one asked for this.

Yea they did. DC has been milkin Harley Quinn (that doesn't sound right) for awhile now and many people have been saying the DCCU should be doing the same. I'm all for more female led comic movies but when it comes to Harley it really depends on the writer how positive its going to turn out. You are either going to get Deadpool or you are going to get some awful sexploitation stuff.

Floex

Well at least Ayer is off script duty. Seriously, I know it was rushed but Christ that has got to be up there with one of the worst blockbuster scripts. He simply didn't get the characters.

Kibbles

Interesting that he is a producer now, maybe that will allow less trailer house and studio taking over. Also he's not writing it, so that's good... It could still turn out decent

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
What? you don't think people loved Harley in this movie? Most people that say this movie loved Margot in this role and that want more.

I think they liked the design more than anything. Her costume was already on track to be the biggest of the year way before the movie came out. So people literally started embracing that version of the character before they saw the movie. I don't think it mattered how the character was written or who was in the role, it would have made the same splash if the design was the same.

You see this kinda thing on the Gaming Side a lot. Getting super invested in characters solely based off design, long before they've actually gotten a chance to do something.

Boke1879

I wouldn't say people loved the movie as your post suggested. Harley may have been a relative stand-out (relative is the key word there), but that doesn't mean shit for how people responded to the movie itself.

Sorry if my post is worded badly, but most people loved her in the role, but even still. People responded by giving the movie $750 million. Regardless of what you are I think about the movie that's the metric people are looking at. How much merch did Harley sell?

Lots of people cosplayed and dressed up as her. Lots of people loved her character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom