• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Destructoid] Leaked photo of NX controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

69wpm

Something about the top right corner has been bugging me and I found out what it is.

I suspect it to be a really old (around 9 years) Wacom tablet (Wacom Graphire 4). It looks like this, I have it lying around here:

pwbgnq.png

The pen looks the same, the tablet itself should have a plastic border. I'm not sure it's the same, but if it is, why would anyone use a 9 year old piece of hardware in game development?

The_Lump

Banned
Something about the top right corner has been bugging me and I found out what it is.

I suspect it to be a really old (around 9 years) Wacom tablet (Wacom Graphire 4). It looks like this, I have it lying around here:

pwbgnq.png

The pen looks the same, the tablet itself should have a plastic border. I'm not sure it's the same, but if it is, why would anyone use a 9 year old piece of hardware in game development?

This was brought up earlier. I don't think it tells us anything, personally. Why would someone faking an NX have an old tablet, either? The answer in both cases is why not? I work in product design and I have a Aiptek slimline tablet (far from top of the line, ~8 years old) sat next to my computer right now. Means nothing.

What's more, there are so many Wacom tabs which use similar looking pens (certainly with that little black nub on the end, anyhow). Hard to confirm which model is on the table.

As i said many pages ago it humours me that you are all experts on how this feels/responds when 1. We dont know if its real 2. We have had no word of what it performs like except wow!

All i can give to you is from a friend who is a developer under very strict ndas that nx (be it mobile or home?) Do not know that answer has said that to be very surprised and excited . That the new nx system is AWESOME.

Please bear in mind that person works on multiple platforms for the person and team to say that i have faith and confidence in Nintendo.

You can believe this or not i dont care but thats the truth . Period!

Frodo

I guess the question we are all asking at this point is: how good a butt-plug this controller is?

I'll need Kotaku to investigate.

I have ps4 and wiiu and if i could get a system that had the 1st party games of Nintendo new ip and past classics re-invented. With some 3rd party support, one thing you all trnd to forget when ps4 released it had mostly (sorry if i insult) but none interesting independent games that frankly looked aweful.

I am playstation fan have been since bought my ps1 from Japan but ps4 was rubbish pre launch!

I waited 2 years to get a ps4 so the software i wanted finally got made.

Going back to Nx if you have huge 1st and 2nd party releases on launch but staggered, and some 3rd party for ME game over to Nintendo.!

Peterc

The technology for "physical" screen buttons still isn't mature enough - and there seems to be little interest at the moment, so research probably isn't moving along very fast - but there are already some prototypes/concepts

http://www.engadget.com/2015/09/23/geltouch/ --- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7ZYKHl1YlA

http://tactustechnology.com/ --- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JelhR2iPuw0

There are better tech out there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiCqlYKRlAA

We have to wait how it feels before we can judge this, but I like the idea.

No you dont understand i mean the whole leaked controller concept but bear in mind also that if this is real, development houses have loose cannons they dont pay that well as in game testers on min wage. Thats what happened with wiiu controller leak!

Is the concept behind this video (some other gaffer posted it earlier) possible? Because I really like it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udkU101fFOk
Short of having individual screens inside the button, which would a total non-starter for any number of reasons, it isn't. Where would you fit the button mechanism, and how far recessed would the screen have to be to make it work?
Did we ever got pictures from wiiu controller before it was announced?
We didn't, but we got numerous impressions of it, and the final design shown at E3 2012 was leaked on Twitter a few months ahead of time.

Peterc

No you dont understand i mean the whole leaked controller concept but bear in mind also that if this is real, development houses have loose cannons they dont pay that well as in game testers on min wage. Thats what happened with wiiu controller leak!

Did we ever got pictures from wiiu controller before it was announced?

BahamutPT

There are better tech out there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiCqlYKRlAA

We have to wait how it feels before we can judge this, but I like the idea.

I don't think that type of technology will be able to give you the "clicky" feel you have with the gel though, only the simulation of different surfaces.
Even Apple's Force Touch on screens, which is also based on haptic feedback, is mostly only for "imaginary" depth, does not exactly make the user feel like they're clicking something.

What else makes me laugh is that NO ONE not even metal dave knows what nx is!

It could be home! It could be mobile and home! It could be vr, it could be holgrams, 3d without glasses!

No one knows. All i know is time after time nintendo delivers!

So that fan attachment i had with Sony is all Nintendos right now.

I think its going to get very exciting.

Peterc

What else makes me laugh is that NO ONE not even metal dave knows what nx is!

It could be home! It could be mobile and home! It could be vr, it could be holgrams, 3d without glasses!

Yes, even Rosti doesn't know for sure.

That why I wonder if we did get anything right...

There is still a change that we get something complete different.

It would be nice if we get the next snes like console. -unes-

I hope they will keep the nx name this time, even if they never keeped name before.

One other thing i like to say.

People are expecting nx may cost 200$.

The ps4 still cost about 350$, if ps4.5 rumor is true en will be released, it will cost about 400$. Let's say you want psvr also, it's again +400$.
This will cost you between 400$ and 800$.

If nintendo needs to gain the hardcore people again, we can't expect that they comes with a console that only cost about 200$.

Manoko

Yes, even Rosti doesn't know for sure.

That why I wonder if we did get anything right...

There is still a change that we get something complete different.

It would be nice if we get the next snes like console. -unes-

I hope they will keep the nx name this time, even if they never keeped name before.

One other thing i like to say.

People are expecting nx may cost 200$.

The ps4 still cost about 350$, if ps4.5 rumor is true en will be released, it will cost about 400$. Let's say you want psvr also, it's again +400$.
This will cost you between 400$ and 800$.

If nintendo needs to gain the hardcore people again, we can't expect that they comes with a console that only cost about 200$.

Most people seem to have forgotten last year's patents about the SCD.
Nintendo seems to be moving away from centralized hardware/horse-power.

Zombine

Banned
If this doubles as the portable element, I wonder what kind of glass they're using for the screen? Is it a Corning collab? Gorilla glass or an early look at the new stuff (or some sort of composite?) I'm hoping they put some effort into the durability of that screen. Last thing I would want is to get a nasty scratch that gets in the way of gameplay.

Manoko

Definitely not true.

On the software side of things, this statement holds more weight to it (and yet, with how they treated the Mario Tennis series and the Mario RPG series last instalments makes me question this).
On hardware though, they have an obsession with gimmicks, which is a huge hit or miss (motion controls, 3D, tablet like controller).

The fact that so many hardcore Nintendo fans are anxious about Nintendo's next move with the NX, and wishing for a less excentric concept than the Wii and the Wii U, for Nintendo to come back to its more classical roots, is an indicator of the very poor decisions they took the past few generations, hardware-wise.

Peterc

Most people seem to have forgotten last year's patents about the SCD.
Nintendo seems to be moving away from centralized hardware/horse-power.

I prefer at least that they give us 2 possibilities.

Cheap and a powerful version.

I know the patent, doesn't the patent describe that you can deside how powerful your console must be?
So that it even can be as powerful as high end pc's?

Manoko

I prefer at least that they give us 2 possibilities.

Cheap and a powerful version.

I'll lookup the patent.

The patent is mostly about a decentralized cloud-based service.
You could buy a Supplemental Computing Device, plug it into your own NX, which would allow for more calculations.

Also, this SCD could be connected to every other SCD around your area (think peer-to-peer) to make them do calculations for you, depending on latency (SCDs near your house, with low latency, would take on tasks that require a high refresh rate).

This, if done correctly, allows for the hardware inside the console to not be that great, and thus not be very expensive, while allowing really impressive graphics.
Think Onlive, but without the latency associated with it, because the "server" would be a web of other NX players all around you.

If this is indeed the route Nintendo is taking with the NX, it's absolute genius to me.

I bet that somehow Sony have news of how powerful nx is and thats why they are putting out ps4.5 . Is this going to be how we change now? Will the newest ps4,s allow upgrade to more power or do we get dumped on from big height.

I have 300 pound saved for nx , thats what i think it will be with 1 launch game if less great.

I bet that somehow Sony have news of how powerful nx is and thats why they are putting out ps4.5 . Is this going to be how we change now? Will the newest ps4,s allow upgrade to more power or do we get dumped on from big height.

I have 300 pound saved for nx , thats what i think it will be with 1 launch game if less great.

If they heard how powerful NX is, I bet they would be even more confident in PS4.

Manoko

At this point (after Wii and Wii U) I would be really surprised if Sony's plans are that heavily influenced by Nintendo's moves.

Not trying to sound harsh, but Nintendo's been irrelevant for too long in that type of race.

Peterc

I believe Sony brings a PS4.5 to get 60 frames/sec for psvr. It's important for vr devices. It helps against the motion sickness.

Shit, if anything they're just discussing the idea of keeping the PS4 train going. If they were really influenced by any sort of outside party it would be in reaction to Microsoft's own plans to make Xbox more iterative.

Fawk Nin

At this point (after Wii and Wii U) I would be really surprised if Sony's plans are that heavily influenced by Nintendo's moves.

Not trying to sound harsh, but Nintendo's been irrelevant for too long in that type of race.

I agree on wiiu, with wii, everyone and their mother tried to copy motion controls in their own way. Even with wiiu, Sony pushed vita remote play pretty hard which is a similar concept. I'm not saying they are taking Nintendo's ideas, I'm sure remote play was already a plan, but they'd be stupid not to keep an eye on their competition.

BahamutPT

I agree on wiiu, with wii, everyone and their mother tried to copy motion controls in their own way. Even with wiiu, Sony pushed vita remote play pretty hard which is a similar concept. I'm not saying they are taking Nintendo's ideas, I'm sure remote play was already a plan, but they'd be stupid not to keep an eye on their competition.

To be fair, Remote Play has been in Sony's plate since the PSP days, just horribly implemented and with barely any support until the PS4 came along, but it existed before the Vita and PS4.
That being said, I do agree that maybe the Wii U pushed them to make it better/actually usable.

JoeM86

Is the concept behind this video (some other gaffer posted it earlier) possible? Because I really like it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udkU101fFOk

As long as there's buttons, I'd be fine with it. I'm not happy about the idea of covering part of the screen constantly, but if there's buttons, then I can get over it. That's a great concept video.

Though for a handheld I still believe two screens and clamshell is the best thing.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
The only good idea here is scroll wheels as shoulder buttons. As for the rest, they're replacing what worked with what doesn't work. Basically, less buttons, and worse buttons at that. I don't even dismiss the idea of touch buttons, but why not have both ?
Like this for exemple:
eMOgHjT.jpg

That's a little huge for me but i totally dig it, what about a vita sized one?
sorry for the rushed job and the PS buttons but it's just to get the idea, imo there's no need for touchscreen-only buttons.

They already had remote play going on PSP in 2006. You could play ps1 games through it and ..Lair.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_Play

doop_

Banned
The patent is mostly about a decentralized cloud-based service.
You could buy a Supplemental Computing Device, plug it into your own NX, which would allow for more calculations.

Also, this SCD could be connected to every other SCD around your area (think peer-to-peer) to make them do calculations for you, depending on latency (SCDs near your house, with low latency, would take on tasks that require a high refresh rate).

This, if done correctly, allows for the hardware inside the console to not be that great, and thus not be very expensive, while allowing really impressive graphics.
Think Onlive, but without the latency associated with it, because the "server" would be a web of other NX players all around you.

If this is indeed the route Nintendo is taking with the NX, it's absolute genius to me.
Reminds me of gatchman crowds.

Fawk Nin

To be fair, Remote Play has been in Sony's plate since the PSP days, just horribly implemented and with barely any support until the PS4 came along, but it existed before the Vita and PS4.
That being said, I do agree that maybe the Wii U pushed them to make it better/actually usable.

Didn't realise that about the Psp, still though, Sony has two direct competitors, they have to be watching both.

Eolz

Some people are delusional if they think that Sony and MS are not watching what Nintendo is doing anymore.

Manoko

Yeah, I meant my message as in: raw computing power.
Nintendo's been out of this race for a long time now, I was talking about Sony's plans for the PS4.5, which would be a more capable console, not likely being linked to Nintendo's next console coming to market soon.

Simply because the Wii, and the Wii U, were underpowered consoles that relied on gimmicks (not saying that in a good or bad way) to grab another part of the gaming market.

Manoko

Some people are delusional if they think that Sony and MS are not watching what Nintendo is doing anymore.

Of course they are.

Now, investing tons of money in R&D to develop a new iteration of their console simply based on pure speculations that the NX will be powerful, and Nintendo getting back into the raw computing power race after being absent from it for two generations of home consoles, would be quite a dumb move from Sony/Microsoft, from a business standpoint.

The PS4.5 has probably nothing to do with the NX coming to market presumably later this year, but simply because Sony needs a more powerful console to power their investment into the future, virtual reality.

BahamutPT

Didn't realise that about the Psp, still though, Sony has two direct competitors, they have to be watching both.

Oh, no doubt they are! :p
But Nintendo seems to have a market (and ambitions) of its own, with little overlap. So even though they're watching, the competition may have little reason for concern (at least so far).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom