• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Destructoid] Leaked photo of NX controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Technically, if they made a traditional screen on that form factor you'd have less screen surface area than you do with it extended even with thumbs covering up some of it.

So the real issues are resolution and touch buttons. The cropping is really weird. The touch buttons would be nice with customization but not having tactile feedback is the pits.

QaaQer

I've been thinking about this lately.
I don't mind a screen on the controller as Wii U proved it can be helpful (at least for inventories) if they implement it right but in this case, other than being "original" because of the shape of the screen, there's nothing I can think of even remotely interesting said shape can bring to the table.

Notice I'm merely talking about the form, not the screen functionality per se.
Why not simply go with a regular shaped screen instead?

There is no wasted space, and square/rectangles aren't the best shape for how we see things. squashed oval is apparently better. That controller's shape is really pleasing aesthetically to me.

I'm way late to the party, but the fact that the controller looks exactly like that patent is a huge red flag. That's not how the real world works.

Probably already been said, but it needs to be said again anyways. I can't believe how many people are taking this seriously.

truth411

post-51491-LOST-Hurley-WHAT-gif-Imgur-gfy-hgvM.gif

EDIT:
Gs33UUE.png
LMAO!!!

Banned
They wouldn't work. You're right; any physical control surfaces will need to go through the screen (like the analogue sticks).

Only way it works is if the "buttons" aren't buttons at all and are just transparent bumps which are stuck on the screen in the position you want buttons mapped to. Which sounds unfeasible.

It's not unfeasible. Look at the video I posted above.

Some dude here with a connection stressed this was not to be exposed.

Cue 100 pages lol

Rosti (who is generally a very creditable poster) did give us a cryptic message about how this was not to be exposed. He later clarified that he is unsure that it's fake, but some of his sources were upset of this. He compared how upset they are to how they felt about Trev's insider who did have legit information. While this actual photo is probably fake, it may actually hint on something close to what Nintendo is actually doing. This makes things more interesting and give up things to discuss.

Dascu

I'm way late to the party, but the fact that the controller looks exactly like that patent is a huge red flag. That's not how the real world works.

Probably already been said, but it needs to be said again anyways. I can't believe how many people are taking this seriously.

The real key point here is that Nintendo typically does not leak designs through patents like this. The likelihood of a patent published before the unveiling matching the actual product this closely is very low.

I am an IPR lawyer and this is still patently bullshit.

QaaQer

The real key point here is that Nintendo typically does not leak designs through patents like this. The likelihood of a patent published before the unveiling matching the actual product this closely is very low.

I'm on #teamFreeFormOvalHybrid, so I'm bound to be disappointed. But, one can still hope however unlikely.

It does need better ergonomics though. I really like the idea of customised grips. We only ever get one-size-fits-all, from 6 year old to Shaq hands.

Dascu

Can you point out a counter example, then?

You're asking specifically for a case where a Nintendo patent drawing matched closely with a product and this patent drawing was published before said product was officially unveiled?

I'm not going to indulge that and I'm not going to say that that example exists. But the idea that because it may not have happened before is not in any way an indication that it would not happen. Patent drawings are not something you can easily fiddle around with, nor are publication dates.

In this case, the originality of the patent is its screen-covered controller and its minimal amount of buttons (to show the on-screen prompts). The drawing and final product therefore have to fucking look like a full-screen controller without many buttons for it to match. There is very little flexibility here.

I know Ubisoft (and, IIRC, this specific studio) are know for leaks, but would they really give as obvious a hint as that? Serious question, I don't usually pay this much attention to Ubisoft leaks.
Your guess is as good as mine. Nintendo's silence may have ushered in a new era of leaker audacity. I'm still not 100% convinced that this isn't a model made with a 3D printer and decal, but if it is legit, man oh man.

Yes, but it is also unusual for Nintendo to play its cards this close to the chest when the product is supposedly only a few months out from launch. They would need to patent the design sooner or later or risk copycats.

But I'm with you in being surprised if Nintendo didn't go with a different shape or configuration, as the patent mentioned quite a few possibilities. For example, notches cut out of the screen rather than holes right in the middle. This is certainly the most striking of the proposed designs, though.

jnWake

It'd be pretty damn funny if the studio developing Beyond Good & Evil 2 (assuming that's true) is the one that leaks the NX controller.

Pokemaniac

can we rule out it looking roughly like this too?
patent_app_2zlkp1.png

I mean, that's basically a GamePad. If the controller looked like that, people wouldn't connect it to the patent, they'd connect it to the GamePad. Nothing would have really been leaked in that case, since the design is just a logical evolution of the current controller.

You're asking specifically for a case where a Nintendo patent drawing matched closely with a product and this patent drawing was published before said product was officially unveiled?

I'm not going to indulge that and I'm not going to say that that example exists. But the idea that because it may not have happened before is not in any way an indication that it would not happen. Patent drawings are not something you can easily fiddle around with, nor are publication dates.

In this case, the originality of the patent is its screen-covered controller and its minimal amount of buttons (to show the on-screen prompts). The drawing and final product therefore have to fucking look like a full-screen controller without many buttons for it to match. There is very little flexibility here.

All I'm saying here is that Nintendo has been very careful protecting the NX. By most accounts, significantly more careful than usual. For them to leak the design through a patent this time when they haven't in the past (and based on another post in this thread, they definitely could have delayed publication further than they did) would be really careless on their part.

Looking at the guy's Reddit handle (Idriss2Dev), it seems like they might be Moroccan. Ubisoft Casablanca studio?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zaouia_Moulay_Idriss_II

Or just a very clever hoaxer...

https://www.reddit.com/user/Idriss2Dev

Haptic buttons on screen, joystick force feedback, 2 buttons in top analog "roll" like a computer mouse... she's pretty cool and new.

Leaker admits his first language isn't english, but Idriss is a fairly common North African name right?

Let's hypothesize that the leak is real; why would Nintendo knowingly use a screen resolution which is unconventional, that as a result would further distance themselves from third party support? Devs would have to adapt their games resolution to run on this screen and on top of that work in virtual buttons. That's a lot of unneeded hassle, and frankly sounds like third party suicide. Surely the form factor alone can't be worth it?

I mean, that's basically a GamePad. If the controller looked like that, people wouldn't connect it to the patent, they'd connect it to the GamePad. Nothing would have really been leaked in that case, since the design is just a logical evolution of the current controller.

All I'm saying here is that Nintendo has been very careful protecting the NX. By most accounts, significantly more careful than usual. For them to leak the design through a patent this time when they haven't in the past (and based on another post in this thread, they definitely could have delayed publication further than they did) would be really careless on their part.

Aside from the elliptical screen, people were making mockups of similar concepts in the days following the 'donut screen' news in.. December 2014 iirc.

You are saying a gamepad/ inverted vita form wouldn't be worth hiding, so do you have any guesses on what it might look like?

Pif

Banned
"Haptic buttons on screen, joystick force feedback, 2 buttons in top analog "roll" like a computer mouse... she's pretty cool and new."

In french, you say "la manette" for "a/the controller".

It is feminine gender, could be why he says " she" instead of the correct "it."

In Morocco, French is largely spoken.

This guy can only be a genius master troll

Marvel

could never
Rosti (who is generally a very creditable poster) did give us a cryptic message about how this was not to be exposed. He later clarified that he is unsure that it's fake, but some of his sources were upset of this. He compared how upset they are to how they felt about Trev's insider who did have legit information. While this actual photo is fake, it may actually hint on something close to what Nintendo is actually doing. This makes things more interesting and give up things to discuss.
Ahhh, interesting.

Pokemaniac

Aside from the elliptical screen, people were making mockups of similar concepts in the days following the 'donut screen' news in.. December 2014 iirc.

You are saying a gamepad/ inverted vita form wouldn't be worth hiding, so do you have any guesses on what it might look like?

Personally, I think it's either an evolution of something they already have with the novel part coming from something other than the general controller design, a controller with detachable parts which can be reconfigured in a variety of ways (think like a Wii U GamePad where the two sides can split off and become independent units), or just something new which we haven't considered.

The_Lump

Banned
"Haptic buttons on screen, joystick force feedback, 2 buttons in top analog "roll" like a computer mouse... she's pretty cool and new."

Fairly common in many languages to refer to objects of pride affectionately as "she". You're right in that probably came from French mariners referring to their ships (ships always feminine gender in language) and that has spread through popular culture.

Could really be any western European language though.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

I'm unsure if the quoted post is serious or sarcastic. If the former:

In American English it's not unheard of to refer to inanimate objects as feminine. For example, cars, boats, and other vehicles often are called "she" (e.g., "She runs like a dream," "She's a beauty," etc.) It wouldn't surprise me to hear someone use feminine pronouns for new tech, either. I don't know why this is the case, but it's not an exclusive tell of French language.

Edit: Written by someone who only has knowledge of American English and French.

Said it before but he used French words for bar of soap and french word for applying scotch tape.
Could all be some crafty trickster in Kyoto for all I know though.

The_Lump

Banned
Said it before but he used French words for bar of soap and french word for applying scotch tape.
Could all be some crafty trickster in Kyoto for all I know though.

This is true, forgot about that. If we're guessing language based on his posts, then French is best bet.

If we're guessing studio based on language,
and leakability,
best bet is Ubisoft.

Pif

Banned
I'm unsure if the quoted post is serious or sarcastic. If the former:

In American English it's not unheard of to refer to inanimate objects as feminine. For example, cars, boats, and other vehicles often are called "she" (e.g., "She runs like a dream," "She's a beauty," etc.) It wouldn't surprise me to hear someone use feminine pronouns for new tech, either. I don't know why this is the case, but it's not an exclusive tell of French language.

Edit: Written by someone who only has knowledge of American English and French.
Didn't say it was exclusive, just pointing it out since people are guessing he could be Moroccan and native French speakers while speaking English tend to give genders to objects because of occasional brain farts.

Eolz

Didn't say it was exclusive, just pointing it out since people are guessing he could be Moroccan and native French speakers while speaking English tend to give genders to objects because of occasional brain farts.

I really doubt this is the case (speaking as a native french speaker).
If it comes from Ubisoft, I have 2-3 guesses in terms of studios, and Ubi Casablanca would be really far from that at this point.

MilesTeg

Banned
Patent shows handles, actual product does not. Perhaps they can be attached somehow?

Anyway, this looks small and sleek enough for a handheld. Compares well against a mobile phone. If real its a good change of pace from DS design.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I really doubt this is the case (speaking as a native french speaker).
If it comes from Ubisoft, I have 2-3 guesses in terms of studios, and Ubi Casablanca would be really far from that at this point.

I looked up Idriss and...

Idriss may refer to:

Idriss Arnaoud Ali (born 1945), President of the National Assembly of Djibouti
Idriss Carlos Kameni (born 1984), Cameroonian football player
Idriss Déby (born 1952), President of Chad
Idriss Ndele Moussa, Chadian politician
Mahamat Idriss, former Chadian high jumper
Idriss (terrorist), an alleged Canadian militant with ties to al-Qaeda
Ramey Idriss (1911-1971), musician and songwriter

thefro

I don't think this person is actually in Europe just based on when they posted the first stuff.

Also I don't think a non-native English speaker would choose to post on the Nintendo NX sub-reddit first (which is fairly obscure) and send his photo to dualpixels instead of a legit site.

Eolz

I looked up Idriss and...

What I meant by that is that he may be french, it may be a specific reference (or not) but people shouldn't link that to Ubi Casablanca. (Don't think it's Ubi Montpellier either for what it's worth)

Edit for above: would the time coincide with the eastern part of Canada per chance...?

javac

I can see the graphics on the controller!

Are they goiing below Wii U?

The tech demo that is running on the system is one used for mobiles (Unreal Engine 4 demo) that was posted on the Qualcomm Snapdragon processors and modems YouTube page insinuating the device is using mobile parts (reference material is running on the Google Nexus 5) however for all we know the home console itself also contains mobile parts. It was also pointed out earlier that Epic also used mobile tech demo's for the Wii U (Link) so who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom