• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Destructoid] Leaked photo of NX controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volotaire

It's going to be really cool holding this if it's not a fake. It'll be like gaming on a piece of glass.

I would be scared to hold it without a case, like the Xperia Z series, for fear of dropping and cracking the unit.

Although the discussion on this most probably fake render has dissipated, I enjoyed reading the thread with respect to the engineering discussion. It's fun and additive to read and learn about the possible ergonomics, engineering aspects and mechanisms in which this form factor could work. Thanks to everyone who contributed!

The sticks in the photo aren't really very protruding; they look a lot more pocket friendly than Vita for example. The design of the sticks was the thing that had me thinking it could be real for while

Do you have any idea what could devs do with the extra space? Would a machine like this even have 50% of the third parties using the extra space instead of just putting a black margin around the 16:9 area?

P44

Added the hands to my mock up. I think it look nice.. like something futuristic. Starting to like the idea a lot.

2AlzoTS.jpg

ok

that is jsut cruel putting the metroid screencap in there

hwy_61

Banned
Man....

I don't like the idea of touch buttons. That's what is rumored right? Touch buttons?

MAN...

That's gonna be a hard pill to swallow but I'm still interested.

bachikarn

Context-sensitive soft buttons, as seen in the patent. That would be a pretty innovative thing. I don't think we've yet had a device where physical and touchscreen controls have been in such close proximity i.e. where you can reach the touch screen by moving just your thumb and not your whole hand.

Context sensitive buttons are interesting and potentially more intuitive, but it wouldn't make for completely different gamhing experience. It could be replicated on a standard controller, although maybe not as well.

The reality is this controller is an interesting tweak for a traditional console. So for people saying Nintendo can't have a 'me too' console, this gimmick wouldn't do much for that. It'd still be a 'me too' console with a slightly different twist.

bachikarn

Man....

I don't like the idea of touch buttons. That's what is rumored right? Touch buttons?

MAN...

That's gonna be a hard pill to swallow but I'm still interested.

I thought that too at first. But there would still be physical shoulder buttons and triggers. The reality is you only need a couple of buttons to do your main actions (shooting, jumping, punching, etc), and you would have physical buttons for that.

But for secondary actions (changing weapons, melee or gernades in a shooter, etc), you could map those to the soft touch screen buttons. I don't think you really need the physical feedback buttons provide for those. You would also still have haptics for some force feedback too.

Still needs a dpad though...

openrob

I'm just jumping in to say that this is Nintendo. They spend millions of $$$ and lots of time on R & D.

People laughed at Wiimote, at Dual screens etc. But they worked. Even the Wii U gamepad, gameplay wise, it works really well (it was the whole Wii U package that was a bit lacklustre, plagued by bad marketing, lack of 3rd party support and underpowered).

Yes, Nintendo is not traditional, but the things that they put out to do work really well. You think Nintendo of all people didn't consider the impact of lack of buttons?

If they decided on this design, it will work. You may not prefer it, but it will work.

hwy_61

Banned
I'm just jumping in to say that this is Nintendo. They spend millions of $$$ and lots of time on R & D.

People laughed at Wiimote, at Dual screens etc. But they worked. Even the Wii U gamepad, gameplay wise, it works really well (it was the whole Wii U package that was a bit lacklustre, plagued by bad marketing, lack of 3rd party support and underpowered).

Yes, Nintendo is not traditional, but the things that they put out to do work really well. You think Nintendo of all people didn't consider the impact of lack of buttons?

If they decided on this design, it will work. You may not prefer it, but it will work.

Ooooof I think it's a stretch to say that the Wii remote worked. Waggle is proof that shit didn't work the way it was intended to.

Character action games would definitely suffer from a lack of physical buttons.

Please Nintendo, we won't get Bayonetta 3 like this :(

Oh Fuck! That Beyond Good and Evil 2 rumour...

Not quite as bad I know, but imagining playing the original with touch controls is just painful to think of. Fuck Nintendo, seriously fuck them.

EDIT: if the leak is genuine, obvs.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
3 months
3 months
3 months
Here's a countdown clock to Nintendo's FY 2015 Financial Results Briefing on April 28 (JST), (tentative hour):

t1461801600z4.png

Though it's only 12 days until The Year of NX begins.

I though they would deny this mounstrosity by now 😕
Maybe it's real

Nintendo very rarely responds to internet things. In fact, I'm trying to remember when they responded to images or mockups and I'm not sure they have done so this decade. Maybe not even this century.

jblank83

Rösti;198667021 said:
Here's a countdown clock to Nintendo's FY 2015 Financial Results Briefing on April 28 (JST), (tentative hour):

t1461801600z4.png

@_____________@

Bayonetta's touch mode works extremely well. Fuck, it won awards.

Saying fuck Nintendo for a fake reddit "leak" is beyond laughable though. Never change, GAF.

TunaLover

Rösti;198667021 said:

t1461801600z4.png

You are guessing it?

Anarky

Banned

Not quite as bad I know, but imagining playing the original with touch controls is just painful to think of. Fuck Nintendo, seriously fuck them.

Dude chill we literally have not seen one part of the NX yet and you're basing your opinion of a most likely fake "leak".

javac

My only issue is if this is indeed the handheld, it looks pretty delicate and kids are a large part of their market. Saying that, they could release multiple SKU's at different price points with one more suited to children a la the Fire HD 6 Kids Edition or indeed the 2DS. Kids seem to interact with iPhones and iPads happily enough I guess but for something you take in and out of your pocket/bag on the go...

Also playing this thing in direct sunlight 0_o

Bayonetta's touch mode works extremely well. Fuck, it won awards.

Saying fuck Nintendo for a fake reddit "leak" is beyond laughable though. Never change, GAF.

I strongly disagree about Bayonetta's touch controls, tried them, wished I hadn't. Also what awards did just that win?

I'll edit in 'if true' also, got a bit carried away due to the sudden horrible thought of ruining a sequel I've dreamed about for years with the touchscreen of that god awful abomination looking controller.

maxcriden

Hard to put into words just how deflating this would be if it were the actual NX controller. From the moment I saw this design I absolutely hated it, and I'm probably getting worked up over a fake. But man alive, this is not a good design.

How would you feel were it to be a handheld instead, though?

I strongly disagree about Bayonetta's touch controls, tried them, wished I hadn't. Also what awards did just that win?

I'll edit in 'if true' also, got a bit carried away due to the sudden horrible thought of ruining a sequel I've dreamed about for years with the touchscreen of that god awful abomination looking controller.

Due to ease of accessibility for disabled gamers.

We'll agree to disagree. In the very unlikely event the NX's controller ends up being something like this, (which hey, it might use a free-form display in some fashion and have wheel triggers) there's no way to pass judgement without trying the system out first.

hwy_61

Banned
Hard to put into words just how deflating this would be if it were the actual NX controller. From the moment I saw this design I absolutely hated it, and I'm probably getting worked up over a fake. But man alive, this is not a good design.

I can't tell you how many times I've come around from first reactions to things.

maxcriden

EDIT: if the leak is genuine, obvs.

If it is a portable only, chances are lower that BGE would be played on it. So it is entirely possible that even if this is real, the NX console would have a more traditional controller. Regardless, these (a) wouldn't necessarily be touch controls as you're thinking of them and (b) there may be attachable/detachable buttons (per another patent) and the system itself may have satisfying physical buttons on the top and back of the system.

My only issue is if this is indeed the handheld, it looks pretty delicate and kids are a large part of their market. Saying that, they could release multiple SKU's at different price points with one more suited to children a la the Fire HD 6 Kids Edition or indeed the 2DS. Kids seem to interact with iPhones and iPads happily enough I guess but for something you take in and out of your pocket/bag on the go...

Also playing this thing in direct sunlight 0_o

I would hope direct sunlight would be okay, and that they'd account for that. I'd prefer not to return to the OG GBA days.

Yes but that doesn't mean we are getting more info?

We still have to wait 39days.

Right. And just be prepared, we may get no more information in 39 days than a strong hint that some new Nintendo system is coming this year. And beyond that, it's conceivable that Nintendo could want to minimize the time between reveal and release, so it could be later than we think when we get a reveal. Perhaps they could even reveal in September and release in November.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Yes but that doesn't mean we are getting more info?

We still have to wait 39days.
More information about NX will likely come in conjunction with Nintendo's FY 2015 Earnings Release Briefing/News conference. And likely we will have to wait for 39 days. But the new fiscal years means that they should be more comfortable providing information on when, where and how, as opposed to the "we will not share details on NX here today" we've been getting for quite some time.

Peterc

Rösti;198668183 said:
More information about NX will likely come in conjunction with Nintendo's FY 2015 Earnings Release Briefing/News conference. And likely we will have to wait for 39 days. But the new fiscal years means that they should be more comfortable providing information on when, where and how, as opposed to the "we will not share details on NX here today" we've been getting for quite some time.

Nice to hear

@Apexhell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiCqlYKRlAA

this is one example.

Maybe if you can feel the buttons, it's different. You cant compare it with touchscreen with only vibration. I hate playing games on my phone where i need to use touch buttons to control the game. But maybe this is different.

javac

I would hope direct sunlight would be okay, and that they'd account for that. I'd prefer not to return to the OG GBA days.

Yeah I hope so, I rarely play my handheld outdoors to be fair but I'd be more compelled to carry one around of its more suited to the perils of the outdoors. I feel like the 3DS wasn't as rugged as it ought to be in the pursuit of a more modern, slick device. 2DS was closer.

So cropping a still image of the tech demo from a video source to match the display area of the leak gives a pixel count of about 1280x360 (rounded). Upscaling that result to higher resolutions gives 1920x540 and 2560x720. That sounds really weird to work with and having a screen so vertically limited makes no sense to me.

So cropping a still image of the tech demo from a video source to match the display area of the leak gives a pixel count of about 1280x360 (rounded). Upscaling that result to higher resolutions gives 1920x540 and 2560x720. That sounds really weird to work with and having a screen so vertically limited makes no sense to me.

That sounds reasonable. And how do we figure that it's vertically limited? Do we have a rough estimate of scale here? I'd be very interested, as I think the odd shape could be slightly deceiving and this is somewhat smaller than people are thinking.

I know there have been some details pointed out by photo experts here, but I have yet to read anything conclusively proving this a fake. I'm gonna take the risk and stay on #teamreal. And if it is a hoaxer, I have no shame in saving "Bravo!"

I want to try those force feedback sticks! :p

That sounds reasonable. And how do we figure that it's vertically limited? Do we have a rough estimate of scale here? I'd be very interested, as I think the odd shape could be slightly deceiving and this is somewhat smaller than people are thinking.

I know there have been some details pointed out by photo experts here, but I have yet to read anything conclusively proving this a fake. I'm gonna take the risk and stay on #teamreal. And if it is a hoaxer, I have no shame in saving "Bravo!"

I want to try those force feedback sticks! :p
Being a picture that closely matches a trailer/youtube video for a tech demo but zoomed in on a portion of the screen and off centered should point out to most that it's fake.
If it showed a little bit more to the left or right then it would probably prove that it's real, but that video would be unwatchable or very strange to see at the very least if you could only see that portion.

Galava

Being a picture that closely matches a trailer/youtube video for a tech demo but zoomed in on a portion of the screen and off centered should point out to most that it's fake.
If it showed a little bit more to the left or right then it would probably prove that it's real, but that video would be unwatchable or very strange to see at the very least if you could only see that portion.

This has already being said, that the video might be running just a predefined path of the tech demo, the same as this "console".

This has already being said, that the video might be running just a predefined path of the tech demo, the same as this "console".
It's still off centered and zoomed in. As a tech demo it would be rather worthless since you can't see a lot of the effects.
I think it casts enough room for doubt that without more confirmation it shouldn't be taken too seriously

I had it more like 3:1 but I'll try to measure later.
480 high is my guess. And there's not really much sense in making it a tidy 540p if the screen is so unconventional.

jax

Banned
It looks like photoshopped upside down plates for the analog sticks. Like this:

CTUk7CP.jpg
Gorgeous!
There aren't a whole lot of portable consoles that you can put in a pocket.
Uhh, what? The N3DS and Vita both bit in my pockets perfectly. The only one that's ridiculously huge is the XL.
How are you going to put it in your pocket if it has potruding analog sticks? It doesn't seem very portable friendly to me.
The Vita has protruding analogs and it's fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom