• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF]: Can Sony REALLY Convert PC Players To PS5?

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I'm glad John made the crucial point of identifying majority PC userbase working with low-midrange hardware. I've expressed similar sentiments in the past as it relates to the impact of upcoming PS5 Pro in the midst of GPU manufacturers pivoting to AI focus. We will see a benefit analysis swing more in favor for this generation's Pro console because of these underlying market dynamics.

Also hilarious to see Alex downplaying the impact of GTA VI and kudos again to John for calling him out on his BS.

Luipadre

Gold Member
No Way GIF

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Epic couldn't get us to use their storefront even with an exclusive Kingdom Hearts, Alan Wake and Fortnite, as well as free games being released on the weekly

we revolted and went batshit when Helldivers 2 asked for a simple sign in prompt for a free PSN account

and Microsoft's fucking gaming subscription service (that used to be 1 dollar) couldn't bring any of us to Xbox launcher.

But the PC gamers will totally spend 600 dollars to enter the PS5 ecosystem and pay 70 bucks for Sony games.

Cracking Up Lol GIF

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
In seriousness though, I'm sure lots of people already buy PC and console. I see them post about it on here.

Will that number massively change? Maybe, but doubtful. I think there's 4 games that could maybe be system sellers and that's honestly it.
Could be: Ghost of Tsushima 2, Naughty Dog new IP, Barlog new IP, GTA VI
Won't be: Venom, Spider Man 3, God of War, The Last of Us 3, Sony Bend GAAS, Astrobot, Fairgames, Horizon 3, Horizon LEGO, Horizon GAAS

It's not a huge list, but some people might pick up a system to play those 4 games.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I'm glad John made the crucial point of identifying majority PC userbase working with low-midrange hardware.
It's cute when console gamers think this is relevant. The majority of PC players play on low to mid-range rigs because 99.99% of the games run just fine on those. Look at the most played titles on PC: CSII, DOTA, LoL, Fortnite, Minecraft, Roblox, lots of indie games and all that stuff. It's funny that PC players have this reputation for being obsessed with graphics when it's only a small subset who really care about top-tier hardware. Console players care much more about big graphics with big budgets as evidence by Sony being the premier provider of those.

The guys playing on low to mid-tier hardware ain't leaving PC to pay for online and play Uncharted 5. They'll remain on PC to play Counter-Strike and whatever indie fad catches fire.

It's funny that PC players have this reputation for being obsessed with graphics when it's only a small subset who really care about top-tier hardware. Console players care much more about big graphics with big budgets as evidence by Sony being the premier provider of those.
Probably a natural consequence of people basing their opinion of PC gamers as a whole on the ones that are active on console-centric boards like this one, which tend to be of the "I basically just want a faster console" variety.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
It's cute when console gamers think this is relevant. The majority of PC players play on low to mid-range rigs because 99.99% of the games run just fine on those. Look at the most played titles on PC: CSII, DOTA, LoL, Fortnite, Minecraft, Roblox, lots of indie games and all that stuff. It's funny that PC players have this reputation for being obsessed with graphics when it's only a small subset who really care about top-tier hardware. Console players care much more about big graphics with big budgets as evidence by Sony being the premier provider of those.

The guys playing on low to mid-tier hardware ain't leaving PC to pay for online and play Uncharted 5. They'll remain on PC to play Counter-Strike and whatever indie fad catches fire.

Like John mentioned in the video, I am not suggesting PC players will leave PC, we are saying they will buy into PS5 console (particularly PS5 Pro) because of GTA VI, market conditions of PC GPU space, and PS5 Pro being a much more effective upgrade than PS4 Pro. All of these factors combined will more PC players to jump in PS platform as a COMPLEMENTARY device for those who are typically PC only and a substitute only for those who prefer PC but are more cost conscious and want to be apart of the zeitgeist with generational releases.

Bry0

Convert? I doubt it. If you are PC primarily and haven’t bought a ps5 yet I doubt you will. At least not because of a Sony sad dad game like god of war. GTA 5 might do it.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
So you won a battle, but lost the war.
Sony still requires PSN accounts for GOWR and blocked GoT in non-PSN territories.
It's not about who won the war it's about the fact it happened in the first place.

The point I illustrated is that PC gamers are FUCKING PETTY. If you can't get them to use other launchers and you can't get them to sign in you are not going to be able to get them to pay 600 dollars for a PS5 Pro. It's delusional!!!

33% of PS5 owners have never owned a PlayStation before.

Yeah, I’m guessing a lot of those are PC converts

GymWolf

Gold Member
They can introduce people to the sony gaming environment by having a sony store and releasing the games day one on pc, but they are not gonna make hardcore pc gamers to buy a ps5 for 3-4 titles per year (when we are lucky)

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Sony still requires PSN accounts for GOWR and blocked GoT in non-PSN territories.

Looks like you still haven't figured out why people made such a fuss about it.

It wasn't just because of PSN requirement, it was because they tried to shoehorn it into a game that was selling for months without that requirement and would effect people who paid for the game.

Schmendrick

How is a Sony game not being available a "lost war"?
Last I checked we consumers aren't the ones losing money because our products aren't available...

I swear some people and their drama takes on trivialities ....

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.

until they hold a survey and release splits, that's just speculation

There was this other green console that was a Playstation "competitor" that had a major falloff during the 8th gen. I'd imagine a much more significant portion of the converts are from that platform than anything

SNG32

The problem is Sony already has the majority of people that own a PC and PS5 already. I can’t see any single player game for PlayStation converting exclusively pc players to console. Usually that crowd are the ones that have a top tier gpu that surpasses a console in every way.

PC players don’t mind playing the waiting game. There’s plenty of games to play.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Like John mentioned in the video, I am not suggesting PC players will leave PC, we are saying they will buy into PS5 console (particularly PS5 Pro) because of GTA VI, market conditions of PC GPU space, and PS5 Pro being a much more effective upgrade than PS4 Pro. All of these factors combined will more PC players to jump in PS platform as a COMPLEMENTARY device for those who are typically PC only and a substitute only for those who prefer PC but are more cost conscious and want to be apart of the zeitgeist with generational releases.
Nah, they won't. You're also massively overestimating the immediate appeal of GTA VI. I'm sure a few people will get a console for this but everyone and their dog knows that it's coming to PC. They'll stick to PC and play GTA VI when it's available about 1 year after console. It won't move the needle in a significant way. Seems most have no idea what attracts the majority of the PC market, otherwise, they wouldn't suggest this.

I'm guessing a lot are Xbox converts which is far more likely.

Killjoy-NL

It's not about who won the war it's about the fact it happened in the first place.

The point I illustrated is that PC gamers are FUCKING PETTY. If you can't get them to use other launchers and you can't get them to sign in you are not going to be able to get them to pay 600 dollars for a PS5 Pro. It's delusional!!!
That I don't necessarily disagree with. Especially the petty part.

But we already had some Gaffers say they considered jumping over to PS5 Pro in that thread about overpriced 40XX gpus, so there is likely a percentage of PC gamers that might move over (even if it's insignificant).

Then again, I never saw any need for a Pro to begin with.

Looks like you still haven't figured out why people made such a fuss about it.

It wasn't just because of PSN requirement, it was because they tried to shoehorn it into a game that was selling for months without that requirement and would effect people who paid for the game.
Prime example of a petty PC gamer.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
They can introduce people to the sony gaming environment by having a sony store and releasing the games day one on pc, but they are not gonna make hardcore pc gamers to buy a ps5 for 3-4 titles per year (when we are lucky)

They aren't looking to court the hardcore. Its a pitch for the casual market.

Taycan77

It's time to acknowledge most PC gamers are using s***boxes that struggle to match a PS4 nevermind a PS5(Pro).

I don't know why some in the the PC community (presumably those with expensive high-end machines) have such an issues with the idea PC gamers will pick up a PS5.

With PS5 Pro and tech like PSSR and frame-gen we are quickly reaching the point where there will be no discernible difference between titles on the console and high-end PC.

The niche of a niche post on forums like this but they don't represent the wider PC community. Sony have the hard data and market analysis - forum posters don't.

So we're supposed to believe that everyone is flocking to PlayStation? Right.

I never said everyone was.

I just said it’s not unreasonable to think that Sony can convince some PC users to their platform. It’s probably millions of people, based on the 33% figure. Half of that is likely from PC, so 10M is nothing to sniff at

Gaiff

It's time to acknowledge most PC gamers are using s***boxes that struggle to match a PS4 nevermind a PS5(Pro).

I don't know why some in the the PC community (presumably those with expensive high-end machines) have such an issues with the idea PC gamers will pick up a PS5.

With PS5 Pro and tech like PSSR and frame-gen we are quickly reaching the point where there will be no discernible difference between titles on the console and high-end PC.

The niche of a niche post on forums like this but they don't represent the wider PC community. Sony have the hard data and market analysis - forum posters don't.
And you're clearly showing you have no understanding of the PC market because you think the main reason they game on PC is performance. Hint: It isn't and has never been.

Gaiff

I never said everyone was.

I just said it’s not unreasonable to think that Sony can convince some PC users to their platform. It’s probably millions of people, based on the 33% figure. Half of that is likely from PC, so 10M is nothing to sniff at
If we're just going to make up numbers, I can do that too. 90% are from Xbox users, 9% from Switch users, and 1 % from PC users.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I would've called you a salty Xbox fan, but then you always start rambling about your PC and how you're "platform-agnostic".

Then there's your problem. You're looking at the Helldivers 2 PSN requirement thing strictly from the lens of your PS loyalty glasses.

Notice how no one's given a shit about any game requiring PSN from day 1 that they've announced since then. The requirement wasn't the bigger issue, it was how they tried to enforce it.

A salty Xbox fan can see it, you should too.

Last edited:
If we're just going to make up numbers, I can do that too. 90% are from Xbox users, 9% from Switch users, and 1 % from PC users.

The 33% number is not made up.

PC is a far bigger user base than Xbox ever was, so only giving them half of that is generous. Its likely a lot higher that come from pc then Xbox

Top Bottom