• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF]: Can Sony REALLY Convert PC Players To PS5?

GudOlRub

Sony haters will say no.

Sony fans will say yes.
I was gonna say no and I own a PS4 and PS5, but then I remembered I curse Sony more for leaving Bloodborne stuck in a PS4 time capsule in that fucking deplorable state than I praise them, so perhaps I am a hater...

ClosBSAS

It's time to acknowledge most PC gamers are using s***boxes that struggle to match a PS4 nevermind a PS5(Pro).

I don't know why some in the the PC community (presumably those with expensive high-end machines) have such an issues with the idea PC gamers will pick up a PS5.

With PS5 Pro and tech like PSSR and frame-gen we are quickly reaching the point where there will be no discernible difference between titles on the console and high-end PC.

The niche of a niche post on forums like this but they don't represent the wider PC community. Sony have the hard data and market analysis - forum posters don't.
The only reason there is no difference ia because devs make it that way cause of a parity clause . If a game like crysis were to launch using all of pc tech lile star citizen would be when it releases, we all know who the clear winner is and the difference would be massive. Right now ur beloved ps5 cannot run ff16 at 60, they have to make a pro console just to reach that. It will never be on par with pc. Thats what avalanche studios thought when ps4 came out and then just cause 4 could barely run on ps4

MikeM

I think they’d have a shot if they had an “Advanced Settings” option for games that allows PC level settings to dial in the ideal experience.

Leave the options for Perf, Quality etc but also open up the settings for people who want that granular level of tweaking.

I will say that not every game is/will be worth it on PC. I’m playing GT7 right now on PS5 and the quality is so damn good at 80-100fps (Resolution VRR 120fps mode) that I would not bother double dipping on PC. The PS5 version is fantastic in fidelity and frames.

Last edited:

Hudo

Gold Member
I was gonna say no and I own a PS4 and PS5, but then I remembered I curse Sony more for leaving Bloodborne stuck in a PS4 time capsule in that fucking deplorable state than I praise them, so perhaps I am a hater...
You are an Ultra. The most hardcore fans hate what they love.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Because a lot of people keep bringing stuff up.

Because a lot of people keep bringing it up.

Also, ever heard of expressions?
Someone is stating a fact, and you are like "uh lost the war". No one is "at war" with an account if it's working from day one. No one is mad against Ubi or EA needing an account on day one (we don't like needing a launcher, that a big difference) because IT WILL WORK without letting you access the game if you don't log-in.

Just grow up and let it go.

No, Sony doesn't give a shit about me either
That's why I don't get mad over whatever they do.
And yet you started loosing control because you have no argument. How surprising. It's gonna be ok Killjoy, we're all wrong from time to time. Well, you more often than other but hey, it's fine :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Besides, there is no L for me here.
Just like when we talked about Helldivers II. AH is gonna do big buff because they killed the hype for their game by nerfing everything and rendering most weapons useless, with the CEO saying it himself but nooo you know better right?
No matter how you feel, this is a fact too. You might not like it, you won't change facts.

Now, if you wish to continue this discussion, I invite you to do it in private so we don't pollute this subject further.

Killjoy-NL

Someone is stating a fact, and you are like "uh lost the war". No one is "at war" with an account if it's working from day one.
You do know what expressions are, right.
No one is mad against Ubi or EA needing an account on day one (we don't like needing a launcher, that a big difference) because IT WILL WORK without letting you access the game if you don't log-in.

Just grow up and let it go.

And yet you started loosing control because you have no argument. How surprising. It's gonna be ok Killjoy, we're all wrong from time to time. Well, you more often than other but hey, it's fine :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Just like when we talked about Helldivers II. AH is gonna do big buff because they killed the hype for their game by nerfing everything and rendering most weapons useless, with the CEO saying it himself but nooo you know better right?
No matter how you feel, this is a fact too. You might not like it, you won't change facts.

Now, if you wish to continue this discussion, I invite you to do it in private so we don't pollute this subject further.
All this is not even worth reading, all because you had to create a millionth account for a service/game.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
You do know what expressions are, right.
And? You are still wrong no matter how you try to twist it.

All this is not even worth reading, all because you had to create a millionth account for a service/game.
Uh Huh Yes GIF

Still missing the point I see. Let's try again: No one is "at war" with an account if it's working from day one.
Come on I know you can do it.

Killjoy-NL

And? You are still wrong no matter how you try to twist it.

Uh Huh Yes GIF

Still missing the point I see. Let's try again: No one is "at war" with an account if it's working from day one.
Come on I know you can do it.
You miss the point.

Sony threw you guys a bone with HD2.
GOW Ragnarok PC will require a PSN account.
So the whole PSN account debacle turned out pointless. Sony is going to require it and get people to get into their eco-system, lowering the threshold to get a PS5.

So, now we can get back on-topic.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
You miss the point.

Sony threw you guys a bone with HD2.
They didn't since they tried to make it mandatory. We just pushed back against this bullshit because once you let people access the game without an account it too late. (3rd time I'm explaining this just on this topic).

GOW Ragnarok PC will require a PSN account.
So the whole PSN account debacle turned out pointless. Sony is going to require it and get people to get into their eco-system, lowering the threshold to get a PS5.
It was not pointless since we can play HDII without an account. For those next games, it will work from day one so nobody will care. And if you think having a PSN account is doing anything for a PC player to buy a PS5, you are (like Sony) set for a rude awakening.

You two should just kiss

Ryan Reynolds Want GIF

No. Makes no sense. You would be more likely to attract somebody over to your system if your games can't be played anywhere else. Something which just about everyone believed for the last 40 years, which was pretty much the basis of the entire business strategy of consoles has just been tossed aside. People now know that all you have to do is wait a year and you will be able to play it. As a PC gamer, you now have all Microsoft games day 1, a year at the most wait for Sony games and of course all the PC exclusive titles. Most adults have the mental facilities to wait.

Killjoy-NL

They didn't since they tried to make it mandatory. We just pushed back against this bullshit because once you let people access the game without an account it too late. (3rd time I'm explaining this just on this topic).

It was not pointless since we can play HDII without an account. For those next games, it will work from day one so nobody will care. And if you think having a PSN account is doing anything for a PC player to buy a PS5, you are (like Sony) set for a rude awakening.
And that's where the expression "win a battle, lose the war" comes from.

Unless it's really just about HD2 specifically, but that'd be even more petty than I thought it was.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
And that's where the expression "win a battle, lose the war" comes from.

Unless it's really just about HD2 specifically, but that'd be even more petty than I thought it was.
Hahaha I love how now you try to be like "uuuuh but that was just an expression". No shit, don't care, the meaning is still there.

Killjoy-NL

Hahaha I love how now you try to be like "uuuuh but that was just an expression". No shit, don't care, the meaning is still there.
It was an expression all this time and I even said so earlier.
It should've been a given to begin with because it literally is an expression.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
It was an expression all this time and I even said so earlier.
It should've been a given to begin with because it literally is an expression.
Again I don't care, even if it's an expression it still has a meaning. I'm not agreeing on the meaning (in other things).

Fredrik

LITERALLY a trojan horse
Goes for everything on Steam. All the big publishers with platform holder ambitions will only play nice for a couple years at most. Then they will all have their own launcher exclusives off Steam within a decade or earlier. Best case scenario is like Epic exclusives. Worst case scenario is a subscription model to access the launcher and whatever else they think should be behind a paywall.
And all we can do about it scream and shout and do review bombing and be negative on social spaces, and hope that they’ll listen.

DaGwaphics

It's like people can never tell when a ceo is BSing us. The whole point was to lessen the outrage of announcing more pc games.

IKR, it seems more like them turning up the temperature a bit higher and hoping no one notices.

With that said, they will probably stick with the delays to support the console. PC players love the freedom to play things how they want. Even PC players with lower-end rigs still have more control over how they use that performance and where they buy games etc., waiting a few years for a port isn't that big of a deal. Half the time people buy games and backlog them for longer than that anyway. :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Nope, it won’t work. PC gamers are some of the most patient people in the world and they have so many games to choose from while they wait for those exclusives.

Ev1L AuRoN

I bought a PS5 instead of upgrading my PC, I was already a console gamer, so I don't know if that counts. I love PC gaming, but problems like shader compilation and spotty Pc ports made me move back to consoles, in this gen specifically I find that I lose very little compared to PC, to be exact, a PC that I can afford. PS5 is just seamless, it is fast, has great IQ mostly and the games work without friction.

My PC is aging, and I don't feel like upgrading it anytime soon, I'm more interested in a PS5 Pro at this point. Again, I love PC gaming, but I think we deserve a better treatment from the industry, I don't like this reality where I even if I buy a 500~600 US$ card to play games. That don't guarantee great performance. Hellblade 2 drops all the way to the 10fps randomly on a RTX 3070 for crying out loud.

DaGwaphics

I bought a PS5 instead of upgrading my PC, I was already a console gamer, so I don't know if that counts. I love PC gaming, but problems like shader compilation and spotty Pc ports made me move back to consoles, in this gen specifically I find that I lose very little compared to PC, to be exact, a PC that I can afford. PS5 is just seamless, it is fast, has great IQ mostly and the games work without friction.

My PC is aging, and I don't feel like upgrading it anytime soon, I'm more interested in a PS5 Pro at this point. Again, I love PC gaming, but I think we deserve a better treatment from the industry, I don't like this reality where I even if I buy a 500~600 US$ card to play games. That don't guarantee great performance. Hellblade 2 drops all the way to the 10fps randomly on a RTX 3070 for crying out loud.

In the PC space you have to really try to pick out the evergreen cards if you want to be cheap about it. It was unbelievable how much use I got out of that old 9800GT 1GB I picked up, that thing stayed functional for years. The 960 2GB I picked up didn't last too long, learned my lesson on that, VRAM, VRAM, VRAM. The 8GB Nvidia cards of the 3/4000 series were never going to be "that" card though. When you look at 1060/1070 users and 480/580 results, they were exceptional values that held up to time about as well as can be expected.

Last edited:
Sega made great games on a failed console, Sony's 1P offerings disappointing you are on a very successful console.

Their main reason to make games is to support the console so people are using it when buying their next mtx. Sad truth is that it's working better than ever.
Is it though? They're studios aren't producing the games at this rate. The console sells better than it's predecessors but aren't they taking a loss per unit?

And the PS5 user base is roughly on par with the PS4 user base time aligned.

So if 33% of PS5 gamers never had PS before, they also lost 33% of users to another platform.

This doesn’t logically follow. There are ps4 owners that have not upgraded yet, many of them in EU for instance where the majority of the growth is slower

Ivan

Richard and Alex with their disgusting attitude again... It's getting worse. They feel so powerful with their PCMR bullshit.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
PC gamers are most likely not gamers who are primarily concerned about the best performance. I’ll bet that’s only a very small percentage.

So if people think that’s the primary way Sony is going to convert people away from PC; I recommend they find a nice oceanfront property in Arizona.

tommib

Gold Member
They converted me during the PS3 years. Not sure about the PS5. To play what exactly?

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
And the PS5 user base is roughly on par with the PS4 user base time aligned.

So if 33% of PS5 gamers never had PS before, they also lost 33% of users to another platform.

Apples and oranges...

PS4 had key benefits of GTA 5 release, price reduction, and a Pro model within the same time frame. Which strongly suggests people are waiting on the sidelines in anticipation for one/all of these to happen before they join the current console generation.

Fredrik

They converted me during the PS3 years. Not sure about the PS5. To play what exactly?
I hear people say that Astro Bot is a true exclusive. Could sell some consoles going by the trailer, looks fantastic.
But might not be a typical PC player game.

I think Ghost of Tsushima 2, combined with PS5 Pro, plus GTAVI, is going to be system sellers next year or whenever they’re released.

Aside the obvious moves from Xbox, I wonder why you don’t expect a lot of these to be first time console owners who are just growing up?

Good point. I always see people saying kids don't care about consoles which is probably true but doesn't mean it will always be true.

Mithos

This doesn’t logically follow. There are ps4 owners that have not upgraded yet, many of them in EU for instance where the majority of the growth is slower
I'm one of them... I mean it's going to be 4 years since release this winter, and the PS5 is about 900+SEK MORE then on releaseday** (here in Sweden, when NOT on sale).

** Do your own conversions.
Releseday price: 5990sek
Current pricing: 6890sek (when not on sale)
Sale pricing: 5890sek

Last edited:
Top Bottom