• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF]: Can Sony REALLY Convert PC Players To PS5?

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Does this work for you? I'd post actual PC vs console RT reflections comparisons but PC doesn't have this next gen feature.

And how many PC users cares about reflections (at 30fps, lol) when they lose every other advantage of the PC version?

Alebrije

Nope , maybe 5% of people playing thier games on PC could move to PS5 but not more, and because thier PC are very basic ( low settings) or because the couch control combo suits better to them.

Stuart360

Yeah and how many Playstation gamers moved to PC once Sony started releasing their games on PC?. I bet it will be a far bigger number that the other way around will ever be.

PC is freedom, and sorry but i cant see many convereting to any console, unless its a PC gamer on a bad system who doesnt have the money to get a good PC.

Its not just about games.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
PS5 not outpacing PS4 doesn’t negate the fact that 33% of their users are new to the ecosystem.
Sure but then this also means that it's losing just as many customers. The most likely explanation is that a lot of them are just kids growing up who can afford a console in addition to Xbox customers ditching it for a PlayStation. Otherwise, you're suggesting that PC and PlayStation are mostly swapping customers which I guess is possible but would be weird.

feynoob

Gold Member
Not if you’re unemployed or don’t have the disposable income
Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

Majukun

by porting games to PC they are just telling me to keep being an only pc gamer.

although i'm usually not that into sony's "flavour" of games in the first place

ReBurn

Gold Member
A lot of people are ok with waiting 12 to 18 months for PlayStation first party games to come to PC now that Sony has shown they'll port them. I suspect that PC gamers who have FOMO and really want to play something sooner will buy a PS5 to play it, but that seems like the way it's always been. I don't see how any of this is going to change any behavior.

Stuart360

Its such a stupid discussion anyway, and Sony should know better.
There was a time that no Xbox and Playstation games came to PC, and PC gamers had no problem. So why would they flock to Console now when Sony are now releasing games on PC?. It doesnt make sense.
And if releasing games on PC was a way to try and push PC gamers into going console, why release big name sequels like Horizon FW and Spiderman 2 on PC?.

And outside of Helldivers 2, its not like any of Sony's games have produced millions of sales, in fact quite the opposite according to people on here, so again why would PC gamers flock to console when most of them dont seem to care about Sony games anyway?.

clarky

Gold Member
Epic couldn't get us to use their storefront even with an exclusive Kingdom Hearts, Alan Wake and Fortnite, as well as free games being released on the weekly

we revolted and went batshit when Helldivers 2 asked for a simple sign in prompt for a free PSN account

and Microsoft's fucking gaming subscription service (that used to be 1 dollar) couldn't bring any of us to Xbox launcher.

But the PC gamers will totally spend 600 dollars to enter the PS5 ecosystem and pay 70 bucks for Sony games.

Cracking Up Lol GIF

Close the thread we have an early winner.

Gaiff

I’ve shown that it’s due to slower conversions from EU
The adoption for the EU would need to be much much slower for this to make sense and it isn't. For your theory to hold true, the PS5 will in the end need to sell over 150M units in the same time frame as the PS4, and I doubt this is happening.

Last edited:
The adoption for the EU would need to be much much slower for this to make sense and it isn't. For your theory to hold true, the PS5 will in the end need to sell over 150M units in the same time frame as the PS4 and I doubt this is happening.

It is much slower

They are selling 8% faster in US

Its such a stupid discussion anyway, and Sony should know better.
There was a time that no Xbox and Playstation games came to PC, and PC gamers had no problem. So why would they flock to Console now when Sony are now releasing games on PC?. It doesnt make sense.
And if releasing games on PC was a way to try and push PC gamers into going console, why release big name sequels like Horizon FW and Spiderman 2 on PC?.

And outside of Helldivers 2, its not like any of Sony's games have produced millions of sales, in fact quite the opposite according to people on here, so again why would PC gamers flock to console when most of them dont seem to care about Sony games anyway?.
Millions of PC gamers already own a PS5. Playstation doesn't want to lose those sales next generation by bringing all their games day 1 to PC. It is as simple as that. FOMO is still a very real thing for Playstation's big single player titles

Audiophile

If you have a lower end PC and are impatient for PS exclusives then perhaps you can be converted.

If you have a higher end PC and are patient for PS exclusives then probably not.

If you have neither at the moment and are yet to jump in, then buying a PS5 is likely a more straightforward prospect and retaining timed exclusivity for flagships will reinforce that.

Then there's those that already have PC + consoles, many people who previously had Xbox + PC -or- Xbox + PS + PC; have now dropped their Xbox as it makes little sense to keep it around. If Sony go day one PC for flagship titles then many may drop their PlayStation as well. Sony losing a PS-owner means losing someone in their ecosystem, it may mean losing a PS Plus sub and it will mean a smaller slice of the software pie at retail. And it's not always a case of someone selling their current system but not upgrading to the next one in the next gen. Plus if someone drops their PS console, then they're no longer going to be purchasing any third party content for which Sony gets a cut on their platform; as well as third party mtx cuts.

They also need to keep an internal financial incentive to prioritise quality because something is directly representative of the brand, the console and the ecosystem. It's a feedback loop. I also think having studios 100% focused on a single spec is beneficial, sometimes inspiring technical creativity to raise the bar. If you're having to do everything with a bunch of other hardware permutations in mind as well as likely having to work at a higher level programmatically then some things may not be possible.

I think Live Service/Multiplayer should be day one as should smaller scale stuff and remakes/remasters, VR stuff should be day one too to help the format, but flagship first-party single player experiences need to retain a 12-18mth window imo.

It's not just a case of moving from PC to PS5 or vice versa, but loads of different situations adding up. I think on balance maintaining a timed exclusivity is the better option and it's much safer in the long run, cause once the genie is out of the bottle and if things start to slide too quick, there's no putting it back in.

Just selling more (SP) software doesn't mean more money, you have to factor in retooling studios to work on PC in parallel and the increased upkeep of that, many sales on PC will be lost sales on PS5 which means less money from the sale and of the new sales you gain from an early release catching the hype cycle, you're getting a smaller piece too. And while doing this you're likely losing console sales going into the next gen if they already have a PC + PS this gen and you're disincentivising newcomers who are on the fence, not to mention risking a steady ecosystem and subs decline overall that may require a backstep which would be a major PR disaster.

It seems like a lot of faff and high risk for a small uptick in sales and little guarantee in overall financial outcome.

Sony are making the right decision, but Herman Hulst summarised why poorly.

Last edited:

NickFire

My personal opinion is that Sony sees the "conversion opportunity" as both negligible and really good for PR purposes.

In other words, they want money from PC players but not at the expense of 30% cuts of 3rd party games sold on PSN, overpriced controllers, and shameless lack of remorse for blocking online unless you pay an 80 annual tax. By expressing hope for conversions, they can avoid saying most of this.

Last edited:

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
This will only happen when they can get the cost of a console to around $200

So really, it'll be converting PC players to PS5 when PS6 comes out.

feynoob

Gold Member
My personal opinion is that Sony sees the "conversion opportunity" as both negligible and really good for PR purposes.

In other words, they want money from PC players but not at the expense of 30% cuts of 3rd party games sold on PSN, overpriced controllers, and shameless lack of remorse for blocking online unless you pay an 80 annual tax. By expressing hope for conversions, they can avoid saying most of this.
Only reason why it's working for Sony right now is because Xbox is dead.
Had Xbox being decent this gen, you will have seen the alarm bell.

Gaiff

Maybe will. Its neck and neck right now, and GTA6 hasn’t launched

And my theory is that some of the 33% is from PC, that’s millions of players
Then the PS5 will need to sell that much more than the PS4. We're talking PS2 numbers in a similar time frame to the PS4. If it ends up selling around 120M, then this would mean that for every customer gained, they also lost one.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

But we already told you countless times (like here). You just don't want to understand because "OMYGAD LEAVE SONY ALONE" *start crying*
I fully get it. I just think it's petty, especially since Arrowhead (iirc) came out staying it was always intended to require PSN, but due to the launch issues they made it optional and they didn't communicate it with the community.

The fact that Sony will require it for GOWR, even though it's offline, says it all.

Idc if you criticize Sony, it just seems so pointless and petty. Especially in hindsight.

But let's get back on-topic, this is about PS5 Pro.

XXL

I don't think anyone should worry about converting people.

The goal is to have people use your platform, because alot of gamers own multiple different platforms.

I primarily use my PC and PS5, but Nintendo doesn't need to try to convert me.... they just need to make me interested in the Switch 2 enough to buy it and purchase games on it.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
but due to the launch issues they made it optional
9K92gr.gif

And this is it! Just there. It's their problem. I don't care about Sony wanting to pump the numbers of PSN users, we accessed the game without login in. They fucked it up. Again it's their fault. So stop throwing shade and do just like Sony, take the L and move on.

Killjoy-NL

9K92gr.gif

And this is it! Just there. It's their problem. I don't care about Sony wanting to pump the numbers of PSN users, we accessed the game without login in. They fucked it up. Again it's their fault. So stop throwing shade and do just like Sony, take the L and move on.
Should have phrased it better, "temporarily optional".

I believe the CEO of AH stated it.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Mat Piscatella (In a now deleted tweet)

According to The NPD Group's PlayerPulse, only about 1/3 of PC players in the US owns a PS4, and only 8% own a PS5. That leaves a huge PC audience that can be reached, and is also why releasing ports on PC is not likely to impact content sales on the consoles. Win-win kinda deal.

— Mat Piscatella (@MatPiscatella)October 28, 2021

If Sony can make 5-10 million PC owners buy a PlayStation 5 console then that's good enough.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Should have phrased it better, "temporarily optional".

I believe the CEO of AH stated it

Phrase it however you like, we don't care. The second we accessed the game without logging in, it was over. It doesn't matter what you say or how you feel about it (I keep repeating myself, is it so hard to understand?)
I would go so far as to say that in Europe where I live, it is illegal to prevent you from accessing content you have already used (and purchased) by requiring you to create a mandatory account. They should have done it from day one without any bugs, don't care for servers issues, it's their problem not mine.

Stop throwing shade at PC gamers because you are mad.

Fbh

They present 2 major arguments:
GTA6
People with low and mid range PC's preferring to get a console instead of upgrading their PC
But neither of them seems very related to Sony bringing their games to PC. Rockstar always does this release schedule and consoles have always been more affordable than PC (at least the price of admission)

GTA6 is definitely going to get some PC users to buy a console because they don't want to wait. But that's not related to Sony bringing their exclusives to PC.
Some people might jump to console instead of upgrading their PC's but those that will would have probably done so regardless of Sony releasing their games on PC. One could argue if franchises like Spiderman and God of War had remained console exclusive there'd be MORE of an incentive to get a console, not less.

The upgrade argument in particular isn't that enticing for anyone that does the math. Upgrading your GPU might be more expensive but you don't have to start building a games library from scratch, you don't have to start paying $80 a year just to play online an have cloud saves, you can buy cheaper games, etc.
That's doubly true for lower income countries that probably make up a significant percentage of low end PC usage. PSN is by far the most expensive place to play in many regions. For example in my country (Chile) Helldivers 2 on Steam is $30 (regular price, not sale). On Ps5 it's $47 + $50 a year (let's be nice and say you get Ps+ on sale) just to able to play it

Last edited:

Wildebeest

It is most likely that a large number of steam users have owned consoles in the past, at least in countries with a console gaming culture like US or UK. The most played games on steam are mouse controlled games like Dota and CS, but Elden Ring and GTA are in the top 10 so it is ridiculous to say there is no interest at all in those sorts of games. But many of those players still want access to things like their steam friend list and mods.

Like anything these days "PC gamers" are siloed into different groups barely aware of each other. You have your MMO gamers who probably only play WoW and whatever new Korean grindfest comes out, at least for a short while. You have your esports competitive people who think any game without a pro league is a total waste of their time. You have people who only play roguelites on steam. Lots of kids who only play Fortnite or Roblox. Why do they need a PS5? Sony can release whatever single player sad dad cinematic midlife crisis simulator they want on steam, and they won't buy it, and they will not be inspired to impulse buy a ps5.

Danknugz

yes i will gladly go from a multi purpose machine that can run open source software, any os you want, emilators, pirates games, AV production software, AI research etc so i can play a bunch of incel SP games at questionable resolutions

I sold my PS5. I will be buying a pro for GTA 6 then reselling. It's the only game I will have to play on launch. Especially when Sony games are so fucking formulaic now.

Mithos

I wish I could stay on PC but for gaming. to much money, I mean us$560 for a 4060/Ti gpu alone... F*CK that... 4070 is where the framerate and settings in games I'd like to play actually is an improvement two generations later compared to what I own now, and a 4070 is like us€680+...

Last edited:
Top Bottom