• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF]: Can Sony REALLY Convert PC Players To PS5?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
(even if it's insignificant).
If it's insignificant then what's the point of discussing it or bringing it up? Stick to selling the PS5 Pro to PS5 owners or people looking to buy a PS5. If you are on PC you're on there for a reason and you know what you want from gaming.

I don't normally insult threads but this one just seems like some MASSIVE cope from PS5 fanboys who are jealous of the PC's growth over the last 4 years

It's time to acknowledge most PC gamers are using s***boxes that struggle to match a PS4 nevermind a PS5(Pro).

I don't know why some in the the PC community (presumably those with expensive high-end machines) have such an issues with the idea PC gamers will pick up a PS5.

With PS5 Pro and tech like PSSR and frame-gen we are quickly reaching the point where there will be no discernible difference between titles on the console and high-end PC.

The niche of a niche post on forums like this but they don't represent the wider PC community. Sony have the hard data and market analysis - forum posters don't.
I think it would be a genuine challenge to find a gaming PC that struggles against a PS4 considering people were making budget PCs stronger than the PS4 pro back in 2017....

as for the bolded: 1. you have no idea how the PS frame gen will be

2. Never underestimate Nvidia's ability to completely upend gaming graphics. Just when you guys get what PC gamers had a while ago Nvidia comes up on stage to deliver something even crazier.

People are contesting this whole thread because it's founded on the basic misconception that PC gamers only exist for graphics pleasure and nothing else when that's blatantly false and literally proven by your statistics about most PC gamers having a crapbox or a craptop

Fake

At the rate they release PS5 games on PC they'll more likely convert PS5 players to PC lmao.

As Rich say, they make PR calling Playstation users to watch their livestream like State of Play, but they show God of War: Ragnarok coming to PC with better graphics, higher framerate and more options than PS5, so IDK why people think otherwise.

Thats is not how brand loyate works. You need to show why being a Playstation/Sony user is important. Just like Nintendo is doing.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
The 33% number is not made up.
The breakdown is.
PC is a far bigger user base than Xbox ever was, so only giving them half of that is generous. Its likely a lot higher that come from pc then Xbox
Except that Xbox is selling extremely poorly and started to trend behind the X1 which didn't do that well to begin with. Where do you think all those customers went? Most console owners will gravitate towards another console.

The breakdown is.

Except that Xbox is selling extremely poorly and started to trend behind the X1 which didn't do that well to begin with. Where do you think all those customers went? Most console owners will gravitate towards another console.

It’s selling slightly below X1.

It doesn’t account for anywhere near 20M users

I think people try to draw too much of dichotomy between console and PC players, I'm sure there's many out their who own both. I currently own a PS5, which I proudly own and I'm currently in the process of building a PC with a 4090.

There is this strange puritanical attitude when it comes to PC enthusiasts who almost gag at the thought of owning or console and it makes console fanboys look like bunny rabbits, but maybe that's my perception because I'm drawing my opinions from posts on an enthusiasts gaming forum.

GudOlRub

I'm glad John made the crucial point of identifying majority PC userbase working with low-midrange hardware. I've expressed similar sentiments in the past as it relates to the impact of upcoming PS5 Pro in the midst of GPU manufacturers pivoting to AI focus. We will see a benefit analysis swing more in favor for this generation's Pro console because of these underlying market dynamics.

Also hilarious to see Alex downplaying the impact of GTA VI and kudos again to John for calling him out on his BS.

I don't understand the argument about the low-midrange hardware, if you have a pc that's capable of running the games that Sony has been releasing on PC, then you already have a pc that's comparable to a console, I really doubt that's the thing that's going to push people away from PC to consoles.
I do agree that Alex's downplaying of GTA 6 is dumb af, if there is one game that will make people buy a console, it's that one for sure.

And I do think this strategy will get some people to buy PS5s, but overall I'd bet my money on most pc gamers not really caring about it and being comfortable waiting for a pc release, they can be a patient bunch.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Nah, they won't. You're also massively overestimating the immediate appeal of GTA VI.

Nah, you're massively underestimating it.

I'm sure a few people will get a console for this but everyone and their dog knows that it's coming to PC. They'll stick to PC and play GTA VI when it's available about 1 year after console. It won't move the needle in a significant way. Seems most have no idea what attracts the majority of the PC market, otherwise, they wouldn't suggest this.

And most of them are going to want to play it at least at the fidelity level of the reveal trailer running on PS5 if not higher. The PC GPU pricing is only going to get worse. Where do you think they'll turn to in the short-term?

BXLFj0v.jpeg

Killjoy-NL

Then there's your problem. You're looking at the Helldivers 2 PSN requirement thing strictly from the lens of your PS loyalty glasses.

Notice how no one's given a shit about any game requiring PSN from day 1 that they've announced since then. The requirement wasn't the bigger issue, it was how they tried to enforce it.

A salty Xbox fan can see it, you should too.
I'm just looking at it from the outside as someone with countless accounts for numerous services, wondering why suddenly this one particular case created such a shitshow.

If it's insignificant then what's the point of discussing it or bringing it up? Stick to selling the PS5 Pro to PS5 owners or people looking to buy a PS5. If you are on PC you're on there for a reason and you know what you want from gaming.

I don't normally insult threads but this one just seems like some MASSIVE cope from PS5 fanboys who are jealous of the PC's growth over the last 4 years
I was actually one of the vocal few here on Gaf that got flamed for saying a PS5 Pro would be pointless this gen.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
What do you mean? casual pc gamers?

Yeah, people who maybe don't see the need to maintain a gaming PC. Non-techy types, older people who don't want to spare the time required to get the most of a gaming PC. people on a budget, there are many cohorts for whom buying a PS5 might be viewed as a decent upgrade.

Obviously if somebody's already committed to their rigs and their Steam Libraries its not got much value, but by the same token expecting them to buy into a console ecosystem for a game or franchise or two was never a likely thing.

Last edited:

Fake

I gonna quote Richard Leadbetter:

"He actually made a point that he can convert PC gamers to enter into Playstation ECOSYSTEM because they sample how great their games are on their PCs they maybe wish to enjoy on a more powerful or less powerful system."

Last edited:

Gaiff

Which sold way worse than the Xbox 360.
Because the generation isn't over.

CjWTLyX.png

This is the top 10 for most concurrent players ever on Steam. Do you know how many of those games are simultaneous console releases? 2.

This is the kind of stuff that is most popular on PC. It's not the AAA blockbusters that require a decent rig to play. It's old crap with PS2 graphics and mostly multiplayer. The PS5 being more powerful than low-tier PCs is a non-factor because it doesn't offer all those games that those with laptops and 1050s want to play. Those guys don't care about Uncharted or TLOU.

Gaiff

We aren’t talking about the ps4 generation, that conversion already happened
And those customers didn't just die, did they? What will be the final figure of the PS5? Will it end up selling 120M? 150M? Because if it's the former, it'll have barely sold more than the PS4 so the hypothesis that they snatched millions of players from PC doesn't work. If however, it ends up selling over 150M units, we can almost assume that a lot of them are customers that migrated from another platform. As things stands, you cannot tell how many users moved because it's an ongoing process.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.

btw if you're here saying that it's not about "switching platforms" as much as it is adding one wouldn't it be fair to include Nintendo gamers in that as well? How about people who were not interested in gaming previously until the release of the PS5?

you also speculate but don't give any clear answers on WHY. besides GPUs.

And most of them are going to want to play it at least at the fidelity level of the reveal trailer running on PS5 if not higher. The PC GPU pricing is only going to get worse. Where do you think they'll turn to in the short-term?
RTX 3060/3060ti is the most popular card on that survey- that's literally PS5 power.

Ignoring that, If the visuals were that much of an issue for them and they have the money to rectify it they would most certainly just buy a new GPU over a PS5- you keep your library and games.
for the same budget of the 600 dollar PS5 Pro you could buy an RTX 4070 which is equivalent in power.
lFZIqUi.png

Or get yourself a stronger AMD card with less RTX and AI capabilities.
GZlIKJp.png

PC gamers have been known to wait for games to come to their platform and they are known to be loyalists. A lot more people are going to wait then pay up immediately.

And this also comes from anecdotal experience too because i hang with PC gamers... I am one. We know what we want lmfao

Gaiff

Yep. Jokes aside, it's true. They'll look at the minimum specs and will be content running it at low settings. You think players on budget rigs care about graphics a lot more than they do. They're like Nintendo players. As long as they can tell what's going on on the screen, they're happy.

The current strat is best. You're unlikely to lure people over but you minimize people from leaving your ecosystem having a later release date for PC for certain games. Sony has a good example from it's competition on what not to do.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
With PS5 Pro and tech like PSSR and frame-gen we are quickly reaching the point where there will be no discernible difference between titles on the console and high-end PC.
In 2024 do you really think PC gaming is only about performance?

Topher

Gold Member

I don't think so considering 1080p is by far the most popular resolution for PC gamers.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I'm just looking at it from the outside as someone with countless accounts for numerous services, wondering why suddenly this one particular case created such a shitshow.
But we already told you countless times (like here). You just don't want to understand because "OMYGAD LEAVE SONY ALONE" *start crying*

GudOlRub

The PC GPU pricing is only going to get worse. Where do you think they'll turn to in the short-term?
That's a valid argument for people who need to build a pc from the ground up, but if you just need to upgrade and already have a decent CPU, buying a GPU for roughly the same price of a console but also double the performance of that console's GPU might still make more sense to a lot of people, like for example if you go nvidia you get DLSS, Frame gen and all those goodies that you still can't get on consoles with the same quality and you'll be able to run games at a much higher level of graphics compared to the PS5.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
As I've said in other threads, PC gamers have had decades to get used to waiting for games to come to them. There's zero fucking chance many of them will buy a Playstation, when they can just wait for the PC version.

Fucking stupid strategy.

Last edited:
And those customers didn't just die, did they? What will be the final figure of the PS5? Will it end up selling 120M? 150M? Because if it's the former, it'll have barely sold more than the PS4 so the hypothesis that they snatched millions of players from PC doesn't work. If however, it ends up selling over 150M units, we can almost assume that a lot of them are customers that migrated from another platform. As things stands, you cannot tell how many users moved because it's an ongoing process.

The 33% figure is saying that PS5 is their only PlayStation they’ve owned. We should be comparing it to what Xbox has lost, launch aligned, which us nowhere near 20M

T4keD0wN

Theyve converted me already and i was as stubborn as it gets, keep putting games on PC indefinitely and i will buy a Playstation to play their sequels, not that i need it since i am already a true playstation gamer at heart since i play their games, but i will buy it anyway because i am such a consumer.
todd-howard-it-just-works.gif

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I was actually one of the vocal few here on Gaf that got flamed for saying a PS5 Pro would be pointless this gen.
Man don't get me started. it's not pointless, it's enabling. Instead of telling developers to optimize their games for this hardware and actually push gaming forward with what they're given they are instead coddling them with new and better hardware and extracting more money from gamers in the process. I don't have anything against the PS4 pro because the PS4 was a generational leap from PS3 and it was easy to see why games struggled the way that they did on the hardware

We get games on PS5 that look no better than PS4 yet run like shit and need dynamic resolution just to hit 60 FPS. Clearly it's not a problem with the hardware here

Sonik

No but their greed and dumb priorities did a great job at converting me from a playstation gamer to a PC one and given that was years ago and they've become 10 times worse since then I'm sure they're keep doing the opposite of what they hope

ChiefDada

Gold Member
pull a similar screenshot from an actual rockstar game instead of an unrelated case next time plz

Does this work for you? I'd post actual PC vs console RT reflections comparisons but PC doesn't have this next gen feature.

GudOlRub

Man don't get me started. it's not pointless, it's enabling. Instead of telling developers to optimize their games for this hardware and actually push gaming forward with what they're given they are instead coddling them with new and better hardware and extracting more money from gamers in the process. I don't have anything against the PS4 pro because the PS4 was a generational leap from PS3 and it was easy to see why games struggled the way that they did on the hardware

We get games on PS5 that look no better than PS4 yet run like shit and need dynamic resolution just to hit 60 FPS. Clearly it's not a problem with the hardware here
I overall agree with your argument about the hardware not being used to its max potential, but I don't agree with the enabling part, we already have PS4 Pro sales numbers from the leaks a few months back and based on that there's no way developers would choose the PS5 Pro to be their main target over the base console.
The base PS5 will still be the standard spec to develop games for and if that version sucks ass then it's quite likely the PRO version will suck too even with the beefier specs.

Szd9i8x.jpeg

Gaiff

The 33% figure is saying that PS5 is their only PlayStation they’ve owned. We should be comparing it to what Xbox has lost, launch aligned, which us nowhere near 20M
But it's a two-way street. The PS5 was barely outpacing the PS4 when that statement was made. All things equal, it should have outpaced it by about the same percentage of the newly gained users. This indicates that for every new user of that 30%, Sony also lost one to another platform, explaining why the aligned number of the PS4 and 5 are relatively similar.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Does this work for you? I'd post actual PC vs console RT reflections comparisons but PC doesn't have this next gen feature.

I asked for screenshots not articles n forumposts

Gaiff

I don't think so considering 1080p is by far the most popular resolution for PC gamers.
Chief thinks the average Gaf PC player represents the average PC player lol. Most PC gamers give no shits about graphics. One of the most common resolutions is 1366x768 because of old shitty laptops.

But it's a two-way street. The PS5 was barely outpacing the PS4 when that statement was made. All things equal, it should have outpaced it by about the same percentage of the newly gained users. This indicates that for every new user of that 30%, Sony also lost one to another platform, explaining why the aligned number of the PS4 and 5 are relatively similar.

PS5 not outpacing PS4 doesn’t negate the fact that 33% of their users are new to the ecosystem.

Slower adoption is due to mostly EU which is going through a big recession and PS5 has not been cost reduced. Those consumers are still gaming on ps4, largely

Growth is up in US

Last edited:

feynoob

Gold Member
They are bringing the food to my house. Why should I go to their house to eat the food there.
PS5 not outpacing PS4 doesn’t negate the fact that 33% of their users are new to the ecosystem.

Slower adoption is due to mostly EU which is going through a big recession and PS5 has not been cost reduced
Someone never heard of the age gap.
Ps4 kids are now old enough to buy their own PS5.

Top Bottom