• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Nintendo NX Powered By Nvidia Tegra! Initial Spec Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Core gamers clearly prefer traditional boxes(whether PC or console) with 3rd party support. That isn't limited to Neogaf. This thing doesn't even seem appealing to casuals so it must be made for the people who bought the 3DS.

No offense, but GAF has been wrong about a LOT of things before. The general consensus was that the Wii would tank and that the Vita would ascend to the heavens as the greatest video game device ever.

Neither was even close.

"That isn't limited to NeoGAF" doesn't say anything.

Why do people keep talking like Nvidia it's the X1 or X2? It's more than likely a custom chip based on one or the other. Nintendo usually has a heavy hand in their own chip design.

X1: 20nm process Maxwell architecture

X2: 16nm process Pascal architecture

Even if it's a custom chip it will be based in one of these 2 configurations.

Kyzer

Banned
Who is 'most people'? Most people don't care about Nintendo, or don't care about them enough to trade Nintendo over what they already have in PS4, XB1 or PC, which are a majority of the market. So why should Nintendo care about running after what everyone else does?

This is supposedly the only NX unit. There is no 'console version' according to Eurogamer's first leak

Right. and it's a handheld. I don't understand how people are expecting ps4 graphics and getting disappointed.

Kimawolf

I can see them getting a decent deal on Tegra X2. Nintendo will sell FAR more NX devices than Nvidia would sell Shield devices. Having it billed as "the most powerful handheld device ever" would be a nice thing to say.

So it would be a win win for both of them.

And I am convinced its an X2 in there. Why else put a overclocked Tegra X1 in their with a loud fan?

Donnie

So does this line up with the rumors that the CPU is more powerful than PS4? Just curious as that rumor was widely believed to be true on Gaf.

Good question, the info on the CPU is basically the most solid info we had prior to this leak. Would the CPU in a overclocked Tegra X1 (which seems to be the dev kit) be more powerful than PS4's CPU? Yeah probably would, Jaguar's quite a poor CPU.

Kyzer

Banned
Core gamers clearly prefer traditional boxes(whether PC or console) with 3rd party support. That isn't limited to Neogaf. This thing doesn't even seem appealing to casuals so it must be made for the people who bought the 3DS.

So you want another GameCube. Because third party support is not something Nintendo can just plan to add to their new console. They always want third parties onboard. And I really don't think this stuff you're talking about is as objective data as you think

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
True enough. The general consumer base is even less likely to buy a dedicated handheld gaming device, judging by trends.

Is this a dedicated handheld gaming device?

Trago

I can see them getting a decent deal on Tegra X2. Nintendo will sell FAR more NX devices than Nvidia would sell Shield devices. Having it billed as "the most powerful handheld device ever" would be a nice thing to say.

So it would be a win win for both of them.

And I am convinced its an X2 in there. Why else put a overclocked Tegra X1 in their with a loud fan?

That and the potential for less heat and a better battery. X2 just makes more sense.

Vena

And mine too, unless he knows something I don't see the point of criticizing DF for reporting what their sources told them.

They clarified that the X2 comment was 100% speculation on their part.

The reason for their speculation, however, really only leaves a 16nm option or X2. You're not shipping a consumer component with overclocked, active cooled parts in a handheld.

Good question, the info on the CPU is basically the most solid info we had prior to this info. Would the CPU in a overclocked Tegra X1 (which seems to be the dev kit) be more powerful than PS4's CPU? Yeah probably would, Jaguar's quite a poor CPU.

Cool, thanks!

It seems quite powerful for a handheld and I assume the Tegra X1 is compatible with most of the big Third Party engines and middleware?

Plinko

Yes. It very much is.

It's a hybrid. It's not a dedicated handheld. The market hasn't really seen anything like this before.

Look, I'm not saying this is going to be a huge success. Nowhere near it. I'm just saying a lot of people on GAF assume that their anecdotal experience is the way the consumer base works. It's not.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Right. and it's a handheld. I don't understand how people are expecting ps4 graphics and getting disappointed.

My question is, i don't understand why people hype themselves up only to be disappointed later.

At this point, its not even Nintendo making bad decisions, but a player base who can't accept that Nintendo's focus has not aligned with theirs for a while.

I actually prefer Youtube comments over anything else. I know it can be very toxic, but at least there is no one there telling you what you can and can't say. There aren't any mods or admins playing favorites to companies and certain users.

True enough. The general consumer base is even less likely to buy a dedicated handheld gaming device, judging by trends.

Good thing it's not really a dedicated handheld :)

Seriously though, we need to see how Nintendo unveils it and markets it before deciding who will or will not buy it.

The reason for their speculation, however, really only leaves a 16nm option or X2. You're not shipping a consumer component with overclocked, active cooled parts in a handheld.

I think they leave it as speculation because only had one source for the active cooled part.

Plinko

anothertech

So, if this is competing in the mobile market like a lot of people are saying, does that mean there's a chance for an LTE simcard version of this? Will this possibly be free with a 2 year contract?

Cause that's what the mobile market is bringing to the table currently.

I actually prefer Youtube comments over anything else. I know it can be very toxic, but at least there is no one there telling you what you can and can't say. There aren't any mods or admins playing favorites to companies and certain users.

Most of it is trolling but you would know all about that though, from the days of the team Xbox forums ;-) which ended up having almost non existent moderation. Used to be decent forum at one time too.

Inuhanyou

Them's fightin words. You don't like a specific community, you don't have to actively engage in it. If you wanna be a troll, there are plenty of other places to do it.

Still hoping that curved screen with the tapable buttons is there. Ok so we know clickable scroll wheels are there too so this sounds interesting. The local cloud compute is also possible. Regardless its got a good chip, I wonder if they'll ditch the 3D screen.

Trago

Yeah but we are talking about Nintendo here.
Exactly, and they care about power consumption and efficiency. Going with the 16nm option lines up better in their hardware philosophy.

I really really really want this thing to have great battery life.

ethomaz

Banned
I did some research about the Pascal Tegra called "Parker" and looks like the GPU side will be a Pascal core with 512SPs.

512SPs @ 1300Mhz = 1.33 TFs
512SPs @ 1500Mhz = 1.54 TFs

Making a comparison with actual consoles these specs are better than Xbone and possible PS4 (at least on pair with PS4).

It is not that bad like some guys are saying.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
A powerful Nintendo handheld device is something I've wanted since the PSP came out so I'm in. Can't wait to see what they'll be able to do on it now that they won't need to split their resources on a console and handheld.

My only concern now is the screen. Hoping they don't skimp on it like they usually do.

My question is, i don't understand why people hype themselves up only to be disappointed later.

At this point, its not even Nintendo making bad decisions, but a player base who can't accept that Nintendo's focus has not aligned with theirs for a while.

I wasn't hyped, thinking maybe I would be pleasantly surprised but that's it. Not going to exactly throw a hissy fit over some disappointment and a feeling of being underwhelmed. I was hyped pre-wii u though, learned from that.

Active cooling is hard to miss. This isn't some small component of a machine.

Well, is not like I don't agree, but only one source reported on it, for whatever reason. They managed to conclude that devkits has a X1 due to several sources and the active cooled part is a question mark.

Affirming that NX would get an X2 custom chip would have been a mistake, even if it totally makes sense.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
X1: 20nm process Maxwell architecture

X2: 16nm process Pascal architecture

Even if it's a custom chip it will be based in one of these 2 configurations.

Basically.

But I actually forgot that X1 was based on 20nm and not 28nm. Cost will likely boil down to yields and fab cost more than "better chip = more money." Especially if the rumors about Nvidia being desperate for a Terga design win are true. And I'm not actually sure 20nm would be cheaper, did it take off for phones?

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I did some research about the Pascal Tegra called "Parker" and looks like the GPU side will be a Pascal core with 512SPs.

Making a comparison with actual consoles these specs are better than Xbone and possible PS4 (at least on pair with PS4).

One third of that performance for a handheld would be great.

Proelite

Mobile NX aint going run at those clocks.

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
Still hoping that curved screen with the tapable buttons is there. Ok so we know clickable scroll wheels are there too so this sounds interesting. The local cloud compute is also possible. Regardless its got a good chip, I wonder if they'll ditch the 3D screen.

3D is dead. I can see them promoting AR stuff again though.

Inuhanyou

battery life and power consumption...

I say its going to be a customized X1 variant running at 16nm process.

Nintendo have been working on NX for years, they haven't just how decided to wait until the end of this year to decide their GPU when the console comes out in March.

I think some people wanted a new nintendo home console .
This seem to be handheld that can plug into a tv which make the specs very nice .
Consoles wise is not good at all .

Them's fightin words. You don't like a specific community, you don't have to actively engage in it. If you wanna be a troll, there are plenty of other places to do it.

You can like a community and not have appreciation for some of the rules or mods. It's not about trolling. Youtube allows us as gamers to be more open with our thoughts. I've seen people banned on a number of forums because of their opinion.

No offense, but GAF has been wrong about a LOT of things before. The general consensus was that the Wii would tank and that the Vita would ascend to the heavens as the greatest video game device ever.

Neither was even close.

"That isn't limited to NeoGAF" doesn't say anything.

Man I couldn't care less what the Neogaf consensus is on the NX. GAF had Wii U selling a 100 million so any excitement I see over this thing I assume just same people that thought their last idea was a good one.

So you want another GameCube. Because third party support is not something Nintendo can just plan to add to their new console. They always want third parties onboard. And I really don't think this stuff you're talking about is as objective data as you think

Gamecube was more successful than the Wii U. I see this thing selling less than the 3DS. It will likely be too expensive for handheld, out-performed by Xbox One and PS4 at similar price points for home console and the continuing lack of Western third party support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom