• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Nintendo NX Powered By Nvidia Tegra! Initial Spec Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojan

That's why the Xbox One is selling so well...

And to add more, consumers do care about hardware specs if it affects their bottom line. People will always go for the PS4 over the Xbox One if they know that they are going to get better looking games on the PS4. Unless a console has some really compelling exclusive software that you won't find anywhere else, consumers will always default to the higher end system if it fits into their allocated budget.

Microsoft and Sony are competing for the same hardcore customers. These are consumers who actually care about horsepower. Nintendo is not trying to court this demo anymore because they learned their lesson with the Wii U. They're going back after the Wii market it sounds like.

The market is bigger than Neogaf readers.

The Wii Market moved to mobile. They don't care for any mechanically intensive experience with an initial pay wall. What this does appeal to is a Nintendo fan and only a Nintendo fan.

Type_Raver

Tegra x2 = industry leading chips = Tegra x2.

I think, and hope that the delay for releasing it was due to the x2 chip, which also explains the drop in sales forcasted as well.

Vena

Well, is not like I don't agree, but only one source reported on it, for whatever reason. They managed to conclude that devkits has a X1 due to several sources and the active cooled part is a question mark.

Affirming that NX would get an X2 custom chip would have been a mistake, even if it totally makes sense.

It also explains the delays, since this is basically nVidia's roadmap timeline now for the X2 to be ready. Add in custom chips and, well, it sort of starts to make sense.

Overclocked, running hot and in need of active cooling, just doesn't make much sense for a devkit unless its a stand-in for something else.

ethomaz

Banned
It doesnt need to

It can run at 60% normally and at 100% in dock mode
Exactly.

Pascal already proved to power draw really low with these clocks.

battery life and power consumption...

I say its going to be a customized X1 variant running at 16nm process.

Nintendo have been working on NX for years, they haven't just how decided to wait until the end of this year to decide their GPU when the console comes out in March.
If they wanted X1 they could launch this year or early.

X2 with Pascal core with two modes: Docked with max clocks / Mobile with power efficiency... in any case a Pascal chip with 512SPs @ 800Mhz power draw will be really small.

The Wii Market moved to mobile. They don't care for any mechanically intensive experience with an initial pay wall. What this does appeal to is a Nintendo fan and only a Nintendo fan.

Probably.

But Nintendo at least has IP that *could* appeal to that market, whereas they have absolutely fucking nothing as far as the Sony/MS audience goes.

I did some research about the Pascal Tegra called "Parker" and looks like the GPU side will be a Pascal core with 512SPs.

512SPs @ 1300Mhz = 1.33 TFs
512SPs @ 1500Mhz = 1.54 TFs

Making a comparison with actual consoles these specs are better than Xbone and possible PS4 (at least on pair with PS4).

It is not that bad like some guys are saying.

That really depends on RAM. I think we can assume lpDDR4, but I doubt they match the capacity or bandwidth of the home consoles.

Kyzer

Banned
I don't want to get excited...but a potential x2 and other unknown secrets could make this thing incredible

It also explains the delays, since this is basically nVidia's roadmap timeline now for the X2 to be ready. Add in custom chips and, well, it sort of starts to make sense.

Overclocked, running hot and in need of active cooling, just doesn't make much sense for a devkit unless its a stand-in for something else.

Yeah, it's certainly plausible and makes lot of sense.

But I'm not 100% confident on it.

tuxfool

Banned
It's a hybrid. It's not a dedicated handheld. The market hasn't really seen anything like this before.

Look, I'm not saying this is going to be a huge success. Nowhere near it. I'm just saying a lot of people on GAF assume that their anecdotal experience is the way the consumer base works. It's not.

Just because it is a hybrid, it doesn't suddenly change its characteristics. It is a mobile device constrained by all the issues that implies. While it is on the dock it may or may not work differently, but being a mobile device is first and foremost to its design.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The reason most people don't care is because they keep doing stuff like this.

You think Nintendo would really attempt, or be successful at being an active threat to 3 other competitors at this point trying to do the exact same thing they do?

Nintendo knows the stakes are much higher, today so if they failed, it would be a pretty big risk and not something they are willing to even try. It makes sense for them.

You can like a community and not have appreciation for some of the rules or mods. It's not about trolling. Youtube allows us as gamers to be more open with our thoughts. I've seen people banned on a number of forums because of their opinion.

I've seen the absolute worst shit of the internet, on actual videos on youtube that for some reason don't get taken down full of race baiting, culture war bullshit and whatever else. And the comments are just a million times worse and becomes an echochamber.

If you like that more than some moderation and perceived favorable patrolling, more power to you, but that's not the place i spend my time to discuss with like minded gents about games and other things.

Probably.

But Nintendo at least has IP that *could* appeal to that market, whereas they have absolutely fucking nothing as far as the Sony/MS audience goes.

Probably.

The only way they are appealing that market is by putting their IPs on Android and iOS.

Ryoku

I did some research about the Pascal Tegra called "Parker" and looks like the GPU side will be a Pascal core with 512SPs.

Making a comparison with actual consoles these specs are better than Xbone and possible PS4 (at least on pair with PS4).

With those numbers, @ 1.5Ghz, I'd say it would outperform the PS4's GPU.
But you won't have those numbers on mobile.

Donnie

Cool, thanks!

It seems quite powerful for a handheld and I assume the Tegra X1 is compatible with most of the big Third Party engines and middleware?

Definitely, Nvidia maxwell/pascal GPU obviously speaks for itself. Meanwhile ARM CPU's are in almost every single mobile phone out there (as well as Nintendo's other handhelds) so its familiar to pretty much every developer.

If it did use X2, how much stronger would NX be? I recognize the other logical advantages of it, but power wise, what changes from X1?

Kimawolf

Even worse case scenario... the 3DS is like what? 4 or 5GF? as one poster said. A X1 is 500GF chip. that would be an absolutely mindblowing leap in performance, and would absolutely blow away anything close to being in its class. and even if its a toned down X2, it would begin approaching 1TF. Nvidia 1TF. For a handheld thats... freaking insane.

It makes me super hyped now and explains all the contradictory rumors. some saying its amazing (for a handheld its freaking out of this world) and as a "home console" its weak imo, but it would pass muster to get games, it all seems to be making sense now.

I haven't been this excited about gaming hardware since I saw the Scorpio reveal. I'll reserve this baby as soon as its available.

ethomaz

Banned
That really depends on RAM. I think we can assume lpDDR4, but I doubt they match the capacity or bandwidth of the home consoles.
They don't need because it will use cartridges... most assets will be already in memory (the cartridges itself) without need to transfer to other memory.

Arkam

Most gen 1 dev kits are just stand ins. They are usually a cobbled together approximation for developers to work against.

You think Nintendo would really attempt, or be successful at being an active threat to 3 other competitors at this point trying to do the exact same thing they do?

Nintendo knows the stakes are much higher, today so if they failed, it would be a pretty big risk and not something they are willing to even try. It makes sense for them.

I think a Nintendo console with the same amount of AAA 3rd party support that Microsoft, Sony and PC get would absolutely be competitive. Why they can't get that support is a mystery to me.

Inuhanyou

If it did use X2, how much stronger would NX be? I recognize the other logical advantages of it, but power wise, what changes from X1?

In a mobile form factor, even with docking bay, NX's GPU is going to be in between Wii U level and XB1 level.

Only difference between X1 and X2 is whether or not NX is closer to Wii U or closer to XB1 on that scale and what what power draw/temp

interesting. Downclocked to 900mhz would still produce a close to current gen console.

Vena

Most gen 1 dev kits are just stand ins. They are usually a cobbled together approximation for developers to work against.

Ya kind of my point, haha. The X1 is readily available for the dev kits, so they can overclock it and approximate higher performance thresholds at the cost of "expected" efficiencies.

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
Who wants to bet Nintendo will eventually release a phone version of the thing.

it begins

Dh5hWri.jpg

Manoko

interesting. Downclocked to 900mhz would still produce a close to current gen console.

Especially at lower resolutions (when underclocked, when the console is exclusively in portable mode).

X2 makes too much sense for Nintendo not to use it: the delay to March 2017 instead of the late 2016 launch, the overclocked X1 devkits, Nvidia's irrelevancy in the console market wanting to get back in, X1 being too power-hungry and hot...
Please Nintendo, don't fuck this up.

sikkinixx

I don't get why it would run better in docked mode. So I can play a gimped version of the game on the go but the real version at home? Or is the tablet gonna have a shitty low res screen so it needs the bump to actually output at 1080?

And Nintendo using the newest chips would be totally out of character for a company that releases the most barebones hardware it feels it can charge for.

Arkam

Ya kind of my point, haha. The X1 is readily available for the dev kits, so they can overclock it and approximate higher performance thresholds at the cost of "expected" efficiencies.

Ahhh gotcha ;) I misread, and would agree.

I think a Nintendo console with the same amount of AAA 3rd party support that Microsoft, Sony and PC get would absolutely be competitive. Why they can't get that support is a mystery to me.

Demographics, ROI, lack of opportunity cost. This would be the case whether they put out this thing or a literal PC with a Xeon and a Titan X Pascal. Your scenario is a fantasy.

antonz

X2 would allow them to have scalable power. In mobile mode they could cut power by half or more and have a fantastic handheld while in dock it runs full speed and brings a device that could stand in the ballpark of current gen.

this is the only info Nvidia released back in the day for Parker

CPU: Nvidia Denver2 ARMv8 (64-bit) + ARMv8 ARM Cortex-A57 quad-core (64-bit)
RAM: upto 8GB DDR4
GPU: Pascal-based
Graphics RAM: upto 4GB DDR5[84]
FinFET transistors

tuxfool

Banned

All well and good, but do you have the bandwidth to feed such a gpu? GDDR5 seems a bit too power hungry for mobile, leaving only DDR4.

Would make sense for Nintendo to use the Tegra X2 to have better performance + battery life, but with how "It's not about the specs" and their philosophy of using withered technology, a modified X1 wouldn't surprise me. But again, using something like the X1 doesn't really seem all that appealing to third parties who will want to have that kind of power to make their games look prettier / smoother with the Neo and Scorpio around the corner.

Inuhanyou

Disregarding whether or not they would be successful(I dont think they would be) the reason they can't get that support is because they spent the last 25 years spitting in the face of most third parties not in Japan(and even most in Japan not affiliated with Nintendo).

So western devs look at support for their unit as a "you need me, i don't need you' scenario, complete with support from 3 other different vendors.

Neoxon

I think this is bad news for third party, especially for EA. NX has a different chip set, then PS4 and Xbox One making it harder for Devs to port their software over to NX system.
As stated earlier, most modern engines support ARM, so porting to it is really a non-issue. The real problem is if the actual tech can run games at the level of the PS4 or even the XB1.

ethomaz

Banned
I don't get why it would run better in docked mode. So I can play a gimped version of the game on the go but the real version at home? Or is the tablet gonna have a shitty low res screen so it needs the bump to actually output at 1080?

And Nintendo using the newest chips would be totally out of character for a company that releases the most barebones hardware it feels it can charge for.
The mobile mode will possible have a screen lower than 1080p resolution so rendering at that resolution will be a waste of processing power... so they can render the game at lower and native resolution for the small screen using less power (downclocked CPU/GPU) and render at 1080p for the docked mode (full clocked CPU/GPU).

The mobile screen will be small so even at lower resolution you will think the game looks better in mobile than HDTV.

Because it docked mode it doesn't have to worry about battery life. It can either stop underclocking the chip or start overclocking it, or both

I would imagine it would be 720p while on the go and bumped to 1080p at home plugged in, maybe with other graphical bells and whistles if the APIs allow it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom