• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Nintendo NX Powered By Nvidia Tegra! Initial Spec Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donnie

With those numbers, @ 1.5Ghz, I'd say it would outperform the PS4's GPU.
But you won't have those numbers on mobile.

Why not though?, 20nm Tegra X1 runs at 1Ghz in a mobile device with passive cooling. A 16nm Tegra X2 could very feasibly clock higher.

MilesTeg

Banned
Would be cool if it ran Android and was a phone. That way users get access to eShop and Play Store. So you get all of the new Nintendo releases, all the Virtual Console games, Nintendo's mobile games, and everything on the play store. Plus its your phone. Although I guess Virtual Console becomes irrelevant as emulators are on Android and with dedicated controls people wont bother paying.

Doesn't work magically, you work with developers for feedback on the platform or at least reach out to them in some sense. Maybe they did, I don't know what goes on at Nintendo.

I'm sure they did speak to developers as far as tools and more. But that doesn't magically mean the publishers who actually pay for those games to be made see business sense in supporting it like the other 2.

And Nintendo writing checks for ports that aren't exclusive is some way is not a possibility. As soon as one publisher wonders why they aren't getting paid to port something and another company did, everything collapses.

ethomaz

Banned
All well and good, but do you have the bandwidth to feed such a gpu? GDDR5 seems a bit too power hungry for mobile, leaving only DDR4.
If you use cartridges the bandwidth is not that needed because cartridges works like a new memory pool added to the system... so you will have the cartridges bandwidth plus the memory bandwidth to work.

That is why you have little to no loadtime with cartridges... because in easy terms it makes all the assets available already in the memory (cartridge).

Microsoft and Sony are competing for the same hardcore customers. These are consumers who actually care about horsepower. Nintendo is not trying to court this demo anymore because they learned their lesson with the Wii U. They're going back after the Wii market it sounds like.

The market is bigger than Neogaf readers.

I agree that Sony and MS are competing on the same grounds for the attention of the same consumer base. I do also think that consumers do care about "horsepower" if it falls within their budgets and can make game X on console A look better than game X on console B. It does also come down to what system is popular with the general circle of people around you... and the system with the biggest library. It is also very true that Nintendo has been trying to carve their own avenues in the game industry so they don;t have to compete with Sony and Microsoft on the same playing field. It worked with the Wii, and it failed with the Wii-U.

The Wii-U was never an impressive system from a hardware point of view, even at launch it was a mixed bag in comparison to what the Xbox 360 and PS3 could offer. In some ways it was better with it's newer GPU and feature sets, in other ways it was worse with its CPU performance. The price point and the initial confusion over the Wii-U being a new system or just an accessory didn't help the system gain any footing either.

The PowerPC hardware turned off a lot of third party developers and stunted growth within the indie scene as it limited developers to rely on Unity Engine.

The Wii-U had a really bad identity crisis that wasn't helped at all by droughts of software and a price point that looked less appealing than the two other consoles on the market. The system still has its gems, but Nintendo really botched things when trying to appeal to the right markets.

I agree that the market is bigger than NeoGaf, but consumers can still be swayed by popular opinion that can seep out of web forums like NeoGAF or communities like Reddit.

Disregarding whether or not they would be successful(I dont think they would be) the reason they can't get that support is because they spent the last 25 years spitting in the face of most third parties not in Japan(and even most in Japan not affiliated with Nintendo).

So western devs look at support for their unit as a "you need me, i don't need you' scenario, complete with support from 3 other different vendors.

Oh well I guess that is it then. I wanted like the NX, but I'm not buying what they are offering just to play Zelda and maybe Metroid if they actually decided to make a decent one.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Microsoft and Sony are competing for the same hardcore customers. These are consumers who actually care about horsepower. Nintendo is not trying to court this demo anymore because they learned their lesson with the Wii U. They're going back after the Wii market it sounds like.

Good luck getting that Wii market back. They're entrenched in the land of not paying for dedicated game boxes, and playing free games.

I've heard this "console gaming on the go! That's fantastic!" bullshit before, and it won't work with a large part of the market. If this thing ends up selling it will be because of Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Monster Hunter, etc. Unifying the developing teams will be good but "console gaming on the go" just won't work.

The price is also crucial, if this thing is 300 then it will be DOA.

tuxfool

Banned
If you use cartridges the bandwidth is not that needed because cartridges works like a new memory pool added to the system... so you will have the cartridges bandwidth plus the memory bandwidth to work.

That is why you have little to no loadtime with cartridges... because in easy terms it makes all the assets available already in the memory (cartridge).

Cartridges are no good for feeding the GPU you suggested. They are at least an order of magnitude slower than even DDR3.

DonMigs85

Cartridges are no good for feeding the GPU you suggested. They are at least an order of magnitude slower than even DDR3.
Plus the old ROM cartridges in the N64 era seemed relatively faster and that system had much less RAM to fill - there will likely be some degree of loading on NX depending on the game

The more I think about it, the more I realise this could really be a big hit. I now understand the quotes saying this could become huge mainstream, as well as appeal to more traditional gamers. The NX kinda hits a unique middle point that will appeal to a big audience, coupled with Nintendo being able to release all their games on one device rather than split between console and handheld. Sure it hasn't got the specs, but while other consoles are playing a catch-up race with their mid-generation hardware updates, Nintendo once again does their own thing and I feel it might actually work. If they play their cards right. (pricing, marketing etc)

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Exactly.

Pascal already proved to power draw really low with these clocks.

If they wanted X1 they could launch this year or early.

X2 with Pascal core with two modes: Docked with max clocks / Mobile with power efficiency... in any case a Pascal chip with 512SPs @ 800Mhz power draw will be really small.

They specifically said they wanted games to be ready for NX's launch as the reason for launching next year. Making it about securing an entirely new GPU for mass production early next year is farfetched.

16nm is clearly the way to go (power. It's always about power consumption with Nintendo), and might explain the delay to 2017 as well given the slow spin up of the 16nm 1070/1080.

ethomaz

Banned
It depends the bus used to connect the cartbridge and of course the read speeds of the cartbridge... today we have tech faster for that.

Proelite

Why not though?, 20nm Tegra X1 runs at 1Ghz in a mobile device with passive cooling. A 16nm Tegra X2 could very feasibly clock higher.

X1 also uses 15W - 20W? in 1GHZ.

X2 can bring down that TDP to 5-10W and still have 512 gigaflops in a tablet form.

Persona7

Banned
I don't get why it would run better in docked mode. So I can play a gimped version of the game on the go but the real version at home? Or is the tablet gonna have a shitty low res screen so it needs the bump to actually output at 1080?

And Nintendo using the newest chips would be totally out of character for a company that releases the most barebones hardware it feels it can charge for.

If you have a laptop it probably runs in reduced performance mode while running off the battery to increase battery length. When you plug it in it doesn't need to conserve battery power.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
They specifically said they wanted games to be ready for NX's launch as the reason for launching next year. Making it about securing an entirely new GPU for mass production early next year is farfetched.

Why would dev kids need a heatsink and a fan, though? Unless Nintendo is pulling an OG Shield!

guWNoks.jpg

antonz

Nintendo says a lot of things is the problem. By all accounts Nintendo denied everything being discussed right now.

tuxfool

Banned
Plus the old ROM cartridges in the N64 era seemed relatively faster and that system had much less RAM to fill - there will likely be some degree of loading on NX depending on the game

I'm not even talking about loading. What he suggested was an estimate of a 1.5 TF GPU (running at full blast), how is one going to get a 100+ GBps bus to feed such a beast efficiently?

Apple feeds its monsters by providing relatively sizable on die memory. They could do the same here, but this will certainly increase costs. Apple has the margins to do that, does Nintendo?

Kremzeek

I hope Nintendo gets their shit together & makes the OS/dashboard/interface be snappy & fast- the Wii U interface is abysmally dog slow, and the 3DS has similar tap-and-wait issues.

I doubt it will use cartridges in that sense, more like the game cards in DS onwards where any data needs reading to ram via a file system.

I think a Nintendo console with the same amount of AAA 3rd party support that Microsoft, Sony and PC get would absolutely be competitive.

I bet it wouldn't be. They'd be fighting for scraps at that point. It'd be a horrible move on their part and it's a good thing they aren't going in that direction.

A lot of GAF users tend to project their personal feelings onto the entire market. What you and other enthusiasts want does not represent the rest of the world in many cases.

Why would dev kids need a heatsink and a fan, though? Unless Nintendo is pulling an OG Shield!

guWNoks.jpg
Dev kit would need heatsink and fan if it's using an older chip at a higher clock to achieve the same performance the production version will get at lower temps.

AdanVC

Will simply wait till the septemeber reveal (if there's any) just to comment something about this since I'm not that much of a techy guy.

Don't look at the comment.

I did :( Classic Nintendo is doomed/should go third party comment fest.

mitchlol

Why is everyone so bent on having NX in the same 'ball park' as Xbone and PS4? Those consoles launched as under powered consoles nearly 3 years ago.... I wouldn't be hanging my hat on the NX achieving that level of power. I'd rather Nintendo just make a prettier more comfortable to use 3DS they aren't getting 3rd party multi-plat games like PS4/Xbone anyway. The Wii U had a pretty average library and the 3DS was better in almost every aspect. Being able to play the same games with better graphical fidelity on a TV with a proper controller is enough to get me in.

Wii U did nothing to court hardcore gamers. Underpowered, gimmick controls, etc.

tuxfool

Banned
It depends the bus used to connect the cartbridge and of course the read speeds of the cartbridge... today we have tech faster for that.

This is a mobile device, you're not looking at M.2 SSDs in Raid 0 speeds.

What you're looking at is at best (and expensive) SD UHS2 speeds, quite fast but not nearly fast enough for that GPU you proposed.

Ryoku

Sure. But you also have to have the right memory with enough bandwidth to utilize that GPU power. LPDDR4 isn't near current GDDR5 speeds. HBM is too expensive.

Dmax3901

I actually prefer Youtube comments over anything else. I know it can be very toxic, but at least there is no one there telling you what you can and can't say. There aren't any mods or admins playing favorites to companies and certain users.

Yes I too like to be racist and sexist and generally rude without consequence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom