• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Orbis vs Durango Spec Analysis

Could this be a late answer to Sony, in order to get more power from their box?

I'm not a tech guy, so i hope im not asking a very stupid question..
If they wanted to counter Sony it would be a lot more effective to just stick a more powerful GPU in there and it would make a much bigger difference than just a faster CPU.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
No they wont. You have to be a massive conspiracy nut to think people wouldn't hack and figure out where streams of information are going and lead to the death of the Xbox brand through the government getting on their asses. If Instagram loses half of it's daily activity by changing their ToS to include shady shit, Xbox serves to lose more. If anything, it will be a Customer Experience Improvement or whatever program that you can opt-into, that exists on Windows 8 and other products I can't recall ATM.

artist

Banned
I'm going to summarize what I know with regards to Xbox 3.

VGLeaks info has been accurate due to what the info is coming from.

- Always online/internet connection required
- No used games
- No BC
- CPU has increased performance over normal Jaguar cores.
- ~3GB and 2 CPU cores are reserved for the OS, apps, Kinect, etc.
- Xbox has a crazy (IMO) amount of hardware dedicated to audio tasks (e.g. gaming and Siri capabilities)
- Kinect is a pack in
- Same day digital releases for all games

If I learn anything new before I leave the boards, I'll pass it along.
Shit keeps getting bleaker and bleaker.

Eideka

Banned

- No used games
- No BC
- Xbox has a crazy (IMO) amount of hardware dedicated to audio tasks (e.g. gaming and Siri capabilities)
- Kinect is a pack in

2 cores for the OS ? That means that no matter what the devs can't have access to them ?
They will only have 6 cores to work with ?
3gb of RAM reserved for OS is true as well ? What could potentially warrant such amount ?

I'm disappointed. a 6 core CPU and 5gb of ram available to devs sounds depressing...:(

I actually can't wait to see how Microsoft will sell the no used games aspect of the console. How do you even begin to approach this in a way that won't immediately put off a medium to large segment of the potential user-base?

I've mulled over a few ways and to me at least, there doesn't seem to be an overly positive way to spin this without claiming games will be cheaper.

I could possibly see them making digital games cheaper by perhaps taking a smaller cut of the pie from each game sold, but how much would that realistically lower the cost by? $5? $10?

bgassasin, do you know anything new about Orbis, too?

At this point nothing that hasn't already been shared.

He is, but he only kills people with the initials "BG". *gulp*

You weren't supposed to notice that. >_>

I'm willing to believe the Durango audio chip is more powerful. But on Orbis they'll probably just do the level of audio the audio hardware can do and call it a day. The suggestion that since the Durango audio chip is better 100s of compute GFlops will be consumed on Orbis is just asinine.

Yeah, PS4 shouldn't have the same level of requirements for audio that Xbox 3 has.

Is maybe where some (any) of the tweaks/improvements to the Jaguar cores is going is to Kinect and the audio processing?

Also fffuuuuuuuuuuuuck at the no used games.

I'll most likely be sitting in the sidelines with this for awhile unless Ms can pull out some major exclusives.

I would say that more of a general performance improvement on the CPU. Kinect/audio has their own dedicated hardware.

Could this be a late answer to Sony, in order to get more power from their box?

I'm not a tech guy, so i hope im not asking a very stupid question..

This wouldn't be a late answer, and could explain why, according to Sweetvar's info I believe, AMD sat Sony aside for a moment to focus on MS.

No they wont.
Maybe not MS. It's not that they have a great sense of ethics but the legal consequences of abusing such feature would hit them hard to the wallet so we are safe from MS's eyes and hears.

But you have to wonder if that couldn't be hacked. It happened not so long ago after all:
http://news.techworld.com/security/...bcams-open-to-remote-spying-researcher-finds/
I don't want to be too paranoid about that but... Things look safe until they aren't.

Anyway I don't like the idea of cameras constantly looking at me in order to catch a movement or an order from me. I'm a geek like everyone here but I like my buttons and I like my remote. If MS and Sony both come with cam controls, I hope it's optional because the first thing I'll do is trying to deactivate this stuff. Maybe I'm getting paranoid now but I plan to put obstacles in front of the dual PS4 cams if there's no option no deactivate them permanently...

bj00rn_

Banned
2 cores for the OS ? That means that no matter what the devs can't have access to them ?
3gb of RAM reserved for OS is true as well ? What could potentially warrant such amount ?

I'm disappointed. a 6 core CPU and 5gb of ram available to devs sounds depressing...:(

And you are basing your in-depth analysis leading to this depression on what exactly? The alignment of the planets?

nib95

Banned
Question about the non used games feature..

In which way would this be different from what is normal in the IOS/Android enviroment?
(Meaning that, all the games you buy are locked to your hardware?)

Because I really don´t see people getting a hissy fit about gaming on IOS/Android regarding this.
Maybe it already has been brought up, I did not see what people thought about it...

(For the record, I understand the point that historically, you always have had the option/possibility to do whatever you wanted to with your own games and that this might be the first generation where gaming is more locked to a specific hardware/Online account)

Im just saying that time have changed and that Apple and their app store-mentality have changed peoples minds or at least, making them accept certain things about how software is handled and nowadays, people seem quite ok with how for example Appstore is treating them, not "owning" your apps or not being able to lend them out to people and such...

It will be quite interesting to see how this pans out and how MS handles this. Personally, all of these are things that will not affect me so much..
I always buy new games, here in Sweden we have good infrastructure regarding broadband and such, my equipment is more or less always connected.. so from my point of view, nothing will really change or I dont see how No used games/always online will affect me negatively...

That's because mobile games cost about 10-20 times less than retail console games. And it's not just about used games, but borrowing and lending them too.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member

- No used games
- No BC
- Kinect is a pack in

So much for that overhyped 4 GB RAM advantage... sounds like a lot of this stuff has little to do with pushing gaming forward.

3gb of RAM reserved for OS is true as well ? What could potentially warrant such amount?
Background tasks such as serving another user simultaneously. That could be your sister streaming photos on its surface tablet or using an app while you're playing. That would be consistent with MS's entertainment server approach. video on demand would be a service, social sharing would be a service and gaming would be too. MS is just capping the resources allocated to each services, gaming getting a 5GB ram plus 6 cores cap. Just my 2 cents...

gaming_noob

Not Kinect, Siri, multitasking so you can keep netflix open, getting rid of used games and forcing everyone online.

those features are likely optional (except forced online). What's not to like about new ways of playing for some games? Isn't that the defintion of 'pushing gamin forward'?

- No used games
- No BC
- Kinect is a pack in

That looks pretty bleak for me. On a personal level, the only non-gaming function I use my consoles for is Netflix so all of this OS stuff is totally lost on me. No BC is also a dampener (for both Durango and Orbis), no used games is an issue for me (even though I buy all my games new) because I share games with my brother. Not having the ability to freely swap games with him will cut down our purchasing by a significant percentage.

Depressing would have been one of the last words I would have used. I think it's pretty powerful considering retail cost limits.

THE:MILKMAN

Wouldn't AMD have separate teams working on the CPUs? I can't believe AMD would sideline Sony for months while working solely for their competitor.

Or if they did, AMD would have to have sweetened the deal for Sony somehow.

Early rumours (From brain_stew IIRC) state that Sony were going with 4 Steamroller cores. If AMD couldn't deliver for whatever reason, The compensation to Sony was they'd have to wait months while they finished with Microsoft's CPU design?

- No used games
- No BC
- Kinect is a pack in

How sure are you about no backwards compatibility?

Because I will be stunned if that ends up being true. Stunned.

Are we back to the 3GB reserved for OS? I thought someone said they brought it down to 1-2GB.

More than likely just wishful thinking posters.

schuey7

After seeing the youtube vids of Crysis 3 on the 360 I now have no doubt that the next gen will be a substantial leap.All I want now is that the machines are similar enough in performance that the exclusives and services become the deciding factor in purchase and the publishers have a large market to sell their games to.

Wouldn't AMD have separate teams working on the CPUs? I can't believe AMD would sideline Sony for months while working solely for their competitor.

Or if they did, AMD would have to have sweetened the deal for Sony somehow.

Early rumours (From brain_stew IIRC) state that Sony were going with 4 Steamroller cores. If AMD couldn't deliver for whatever reason, The compensation to Sony was they'd have to wait months while they finished with Microsoft's CPU design?

It was me misremembering a quote I didn't see and only saw people talk about it. I believe this might be Sweetvar's original quote about it.

Alright, I'm in Toronto and was talking to my buddy who works at the AMD headquarters here.

As of what he tells me, they both are using same chip with different specifications from Sony and Microsoft, something like the market's 7700-7800, not really sure. He did mention the word "Jaguar processor".

As for the PS4, the first chip has already been sent out two months ago, it is back after a month or so, for the second revision. He says there should be a third and if they don't see any problems, should be ready for mass production. Apparently, AMD did delay the work, he says it is around 6 months behind schedule.

The Xbox 720/loop or whatever it is called, they are about to ship the chip tomorrow, they are expecting it back within a month or so for the second revision. Xbox is right on time, no delays so far. A feature for the Xbox that the PS4 doesn't have is something related to "ARM security". I did not get that part. However the internal talk at AMD is that, the Xbox is like a super computer(not sure if it is the chip or the console). Him and the team at AMD feels the Xbox is going to be more 'powerful'.

I did ask him to find out what the market equivalent card would the chips be, he said he will. Apparently the Xbox 720 team is sponsoring for lunch and a movie today(Looper), they are about to ship the first chip out tomorrow and they are expecting it back within a month for more revisions. He believes both the consoles should be out next fall, not far from each other.

P.S. He does not play games nor does he know anything about them. So he isn't as curious as you and I are.

So far I trust what I was told. The high-level guy from EA did talk about this to an extent for both consoles. We'll see eventually.

Averon

- No used games
- No BC
- Kinect is a pack in

For me I'm not going to write off Sony's audio direction at this point. With the change to Jaguar cores, they will need something competent in that area.

Wow. The 720 sounds worse and worse as time goes on.

So far I trust what I was told. The high-level guy from EA did talk about this to an extent for both consoles. We'll see eventually.

So was that guy's quote your "source"? lol

I see a lot of execs say stuff that isn't entirely true. For example, we already know Sony is now going to have some form of backwards compatibility via streaming.

Durante

Why would you be stunned? MS doesn't have the utter technical impossibility Sony is facing, but it's still not possible to emulate a tri-core 3.2 GHz PPC architecture on eight 1.6 GHz Jaguar cores.

Oppo

Why would you be stunned? MS doesn't have the utter technical impossibility Sony is facing, but it's still not possible to emulate a tri-core 3.2 GHz PPC architecture on eight 1.6 GHz Jaguar cores.

It's weird how people think the Xbox was closer to x86 or something. I suppose because of DirectX.

spuit*11

Banned
Pretty sure these rumours serve only to paint a really bleak picture to make it seem not that bad when they actually announce something "only" half as bad.

It's pretty standard stuff as far as corporate PR shenanigans go.

THE:MILKMAN

It was me misremembering a quote I didn't see and only saw people talk about it. I believe this might be Sweetvar's original quote about it.

OK. That quote though seems contradictory. The PS4 chip was sent out 2 months before Xbox but is 6 months delayed. But the Xbox chip is right on time? Weird.

Because I figured Microsoft would see the value in making it happen, one way or another.

For starters because it's just an unpleasant turnoff for early adopters, who are typically the most hardcore. I'd rather not have to keep my 360 around to play those old games. All my digital purchases disappear with the old console? I'm sure that'll win over a lot of people to the digital download side!

Second, this is the first gen we're transitioning from post gamertags, achievements, etc. I can still see my achievements from Halo 4, but I can't play it? Kinda messy in that regard, and just reminds people those games are left behind.

Third, Microsoft made developers follow their API's so firmly it's been expected that was to make backwards compatibility easier on the next console.

Yes, I will most definitely be shocked if they don't make it happen. At the very least offer an affordable accessory option for those who want it.

If no used games are a reality, and there is no backwards compatibility at the Durango launch, Microsoft is going to be starting out with one hand tied behind their back.

So was that guy's quote your "source"? lol

I see a lot of execs say stuff that isn't entirely true. For example, we already know Sony is now going to have some form of backwards compatibility via streaming.

LOL. No I heard about that in regards to Xbox 3 beforehand.

Pretty sure these rumours serve only to paint a really bleak picture to make it seem not that bad when they actually announce something "only" half as bad.

It's pretty standard stuff as far as corporate PR shenanigans go.

Could be the case.

OK. That quote though seems contradictory. The PS4 chip was sent out 2 months before Xbox but is 6 months delayed. But the Xbox chip is right on time? Weird.

Yeah. It seems like there's some context missing when looking at the quote itself.

MCD

--> No BC

The best part of owning a 360 at launch was playing and beta testing Xbox 1 games. Especially in my case because I never owned the original Xbox.

Maxrunner

At this point i dont know who would buy anything from MS they keep goimng down and down....and im not talking about xbox division only....

720p will be allowed. Also, 30fps (as opposed to 60fps) will almost certainly be allowed for developers to use, too.

My guesses are:

720p upscaled to 1080p common in most games
30 > 60fps for that cinematic feel common in most games

You could say the same for Sony always seemingly waiting to hear what Microsoft says first before telling us how powerful the PS4 will be. They did the same thing with the PS3, always waiting so they could better whatever Microsoft said.
Don't they have corporate spies and also once the dev kits are in dev hands someone will spill the beans on specs anyway. So assuming 3rd party devs are developing games at this moment it's a good prediction that they know what each has to offer at this point in time.

Akira

My guess is that Microsoft will only require always-on internet connection in markets where broadband internet has a large penetration like in the US and certain European markets/Japan. MS will probably just remove features that require always-on internet like the Xbox Siri in order to sell it in other markets.

Top Bottom