• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Board Games Thread: Async Multiplatform Meeples

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I don't know if it's the greatest, but it's damn good!

My review:
-Amazing implementation of one of my favorite games (that I rarely get to play).
-Campaign mode is extremely well thought-out.
-Legit funny.

Pending: Online play.

Didn't even know there were iPhone & Android versions coming out; maybe I should wait for those because I do feel the title deserves its own little thread.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
For async, Carc is the best. I'd almost put Galaxy Trucker in a different category. It's one of the only deep games that has a great iOS version (Agricola being the other). And the campaign mode is second to none.

Heel

Been pretty dry for board games for a while. I'll have to check out Galaxy Trucker now that it's here.

On sale for the first two weeks, too.

My review:
-Amazing implementation of one of my favorite games (that I rarely get to play).
-Campaign mode is extremely well thought-out.
-Legit funny.

Pending: Online play.

Didn't even know there were iPhone & Android versions coming out; maybe I should wait for those because I do feel the title deserves its own little thread.
(According to their twitter account) They expect android by the end of the year.
They also mention private online games in the same timescale.

Slacker

Wow Galaxy Trucker really is amazing.

And sorry to whoever I was playing Waterdeep with. We moved to a new house half way through that game and I got distracted. :)

PittaGAF

Am I (and some friends of mine) the only one who has problems in Lost Cities?
I receive one turn per week since iOS8....(usually I get 20-30 per day).

swoon

Am I (and some friends of mine) the only one who has problems in Lost Cities?
I receive one turn per week since iOS8....(usually I get 20-30 per day).

yea it's been a mess, the badge doesn't update correctly and game center seems to have a mind of its own. the last update to the app seemed to help some, but yea my game time has gone way down.

mercviper

SR Tourney image for the new page:

SRGAF.png

Ray and LunarKnite's matches should update eventually.

Edit: bracket link for the impatient http://challonge.com/SRGAF

I got an unplayed version of GT:AE, maybe I should buy the ipad version and see if I can convince the wife to play the real one later.

Grifter

Been meaning to pick up an iPad Mini for board games but gotta update my iPhone and the Plus seems to cover the bases but I wonder if it runs iPad-only apps.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So yeah, the online on Galaxy Trucker is amazing as well. Tons of options. Just amazed by what they pulled off with this game. Only missing friend invites really but tbh I think I'm sticking with the real-time mode even though the turn-based mode is kind of puzzly and fun as well. They have experience points, tons of really good achievements. Really hope CGE comes out with more titles as they seem to produce the kind of games I enjoy but that rarely hit the table.

So yeah, the online on Galaxy Trucker is amazing as well. Tons of options. Just amazed by what they pulled off with this game. Only missing friend invites really but tbh I think I'm sticking with the real-time mode even though the turn-based mode is kind of puzzly and fun as well. They have experience points, tons of really good achievements. Really hope CGE comes out with more titles as they seem to produce the kind of games I enjoy but that rarely hit the table.
Looking good for TTA then.

Heel

Galaxy Trucker is 4th on the paid apps chart for iOS. All apps, not just games. I think we'll be seeing some more games from CGE. :)

Wait what is this madness online playable Star Realms and GAF is doing a tourney and nobody told me about this what the heck!?!?!!11

Anyway I found the signup sheet on the last page, I'm assuming I just need to dl the SR app for my phone then? Do I need to pay for the full version or is the free version enough to do this?

CzarTim

Wait what is this madness online playable Star Realms and GAF is doing a tourney and nobody told me about this what the heck!?!?!!11

Anyway I found the signup sheet on the last page, I'm assuming I just need to dl the SR app for my phone then? Do I need to pay for the full version or is the free version enough to do this?
The free version doesn't allow online play, so you'll need to get it to play with GAFers. The tournament already started, but I could always use more games!

My wife (Caira), who some of you may recognize from Carc, says she's coming to clomp y'all in Star Realms and is taking on all challengers.

Grifter, do let her know that this almost made me cry when it happened in our last game...

So close, and she killed me the next turn...

EDIT - Also, I'd love more games - MarkovChaney in game for Star Realms. MercViper and I are getting close to ending our game for the tourney, I think. He'll probably have me in a couple turns when I roll a 1 for my saving throw (again).

Grifter

SR tourney: Grifter over LunarKnite.

GG!

Markoff_Chaney - she said that finish was messed up but turned around and told me she's that good...

mercviper

Updated wins and losses so far for everybody. (this is more for me than anything else)

On another note. Got Galaxy Trucker and just been playing the heck out of the campaign. I love how you have the 4th wall dialogue option and opening up shuttle icons is the best ever.

mid83

So i'm a complete newbie at board games but it's always been a genre I've wanted to get into on iOS. I have an iPhone 5S and Ipad 2 (hopefully most board games work on older ipads)

What are some good games for newbies? I imagine alot of these board games are super complex and overwhelming for new players.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
you and me then? i need to get in a few practice matches, havent played in a bit. or maybe just go in cold and get lucky!

Cool man send me an invite when you're ready!

What are some good games for newbies? I imagine alot of these board games are super complex and overwhelming for new players.

Lots of really good ones for newbs -- Carcassonne, Lost Cities, Ascension, Ticket to Ride. In terms of non-online, Pandemic and Elder Sign are both fun too.

So i'm a complete newbie at board games but it's always been a genre I've wanted to get into on iOS. I have an iPhone 5S and Ipad 2 (hopefully most board games work on older ipads)

Hi. Ticket to Ride (Pocket has decent online) and Carcassonne are good starting points.
They are easy to learn and are often used as "gateway" games to lure friends and family into the hobby.
Ascension is a really good deck building game. If you get on well with those have a look at Lords of Waterdeep, Agricola and Galaxy Trucker (not sure how well it supports older devices).

CzarTim

So I've been playing a lot of Settlers of Catan (hadn't really touched it since the MP update.) And it's great! One of the few board games where you are rarely completely out-of-the-running. There have been so many games where I've thought there was no chance of me winning only for me to find a way to come out ahead. Feels good!

Top Bottom