• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Assassin creed origins Xbox one x tech first look.

d9b

Banned
So, not every game is native 4K, some are checkerboard and it's up to developers to decide. That's exactly same as Pro, only more expensive. 🤔

paulogy

So, not every game is native 4K, some are checkerboard and it's up to developers to decide. That's exactly same as Pro, only more expensive. ��

And 30fps. Not a surprise to me, but the first demonstration of this in practice.

I'm shocked that people actually thought every game would be native 4K, nobody ever said that. It's not exactly like the pro because next to checkerboard 4K they can do a lot more additional things with the extra power. What the devs do remains to be seen.

I'm shocked that people actually thought every game would be native 4K, nobody ever said that. It's not exactly like the pro because next to checkerboard 4K they can do a lot more additional things with the extra power. What the devs do remains to be seen.

That and checkboarding is not a set resolution. It could be 1600c, 1800c, or full 4K checkerboarding. Those are all big pixel count changes from one another.

onQ123

The argument (at least from what I'm seeing) isn't about the fact that Phil said it, it's about pointing that since Pro have some native 4k games and xbonex has some non native ones it's a false statement.

Either way I don't see why the outrage when even this game not being native is a much bigger leap already than any other game with Pro support thus far.

Not a single game on Pro made a jump this big in resolution from the base console, even without considering the other improvements such as high end pc settings, higher quality textures and smoother (apparently locked) framerate. Pro updates usually deliver on a single one of those points, often even then falling short, and never delivered all those at once. So I wouldn't say that's one example to single out how true or not that statement is. He haven't seen the Pro version yet, but from other games it does set xbonex apart from pro.

Why are you posting false statements?

Some 1080P PS4 games are native 4K on PS4 Pro

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Dear lord.

Both systems are capable of "True" 4K and #FauxK. Both say it is up to the dev. how they implement things and make use of the power. That includes parity between consoles. Also, keep in mind that these games are running on a "Family" of consoles respectively, and are "enhanced" for the more powerful versions of said consoles. Just because this $500 unit isn't running a particular game to the vision some gamers have doesn't make either console weak. This is not a $1500+ PC decked out. Neither console is. Stop expecting that this console, which is estimated to be about 40% (I think) more powerful than the the PS4 Pro, or that it is more than it is. Just because this game, currently, isn't running any version of this game, be it alpha or final, isn't at least true 4K at 60 FPS minimum doesn't mean that the Xbox One X is a fail.

Anyone with half an ounce of sense or a brain knew the XB1X was not going to be a universal 4K machine, Just marketing talk from MS.

The truth is they need to give devs latitude to pursue their own vision, there are too many different engines between all the big third party.

All that being said, AssCreed does look pretty but nothing particularly mind blowing.

panda-zebra

You can't really blame people when the reveal showed a chip with 4k etched on it and the talk was of the purest pixels.

That the messaging since has always been that it's up to the devs to deploy power as they see fit and nothing is to be arbitrarily mandated, it was obvious a good many chose to be deaf to this given the mockery of Pro's CBR (something it does hardware-assisted, btw) and we're left with people scratching their heads.

And Phil's recent comments only muddy the waters further.

:/

SpotAnime

I just want to get this thread on track for a sec.

DF says sub-4K resolution with checkerboarding and dynamic resolution. I say that's okay. AC:O is undoubtedly beautiful achieved with these techniques. I don't care that it's sub-4K,except for the fact that Microsoft is saying the X performance is worth $100 more.

Side by side with the Pro, if the X beats it in image quality and framerate, then the difference is justified no matter what marketing speak Phil spits out.

But when people see checkerboarding and dynamic resolution, those are the same techniques used by the Pro to hit 4K. Which leads me to the conclusion, albeit premature, that the Pro will achieve similar results. And then, all the marketing speak Phil uses are just words, and leads folks to doubt its capabilities and value proposition.

So, I hope to see Pro footage soon, although something tells me Microsoft cut a deal so that you won't see that comparison during E3. So much for marketing deals...

Darklor01

You can't really blame people when the reveal showed a chip with 4k etched on it and the talk was of the purest pixels.

That the messaging since has always been that it's up to the devs to deploy power as they see fit and nothing is to be arbitrarily mandated, it was obvious a good many chose to be deaf to this given the mockery of Pro's CBR (something it does hardware-assisted, btw) and we're left with people scratching their heads.

I agree, but that's designed to fool those that fall for BS like that, not "entusiasts" that know the difference.

Also, Purest pixels? What the hell is with marketing.. LOL. Are PS4 Pro Native 4K pixels muddied up somehow?
ae6117e5b5e790ae7e355f97b79d5f88.gif
Please.

wachie

So, not every game is native 4K, some are checkerboard and it's up to developers to decide. That's exactly same as Pro, only more expensive. 🤔
Guise guise guise.

But the PS4 Pro is competing with the Xbox One S.

Tripolygon

Banned
Dear lord.

Both systems are capable of "True" 4K and #FauxK. Both say it is up to the dev. how they implement things and make use of the power. That includes parity between consoles. Also, keep in mind that these games are running on a "Family" of consoles respectively, and are "enhanced" for the more powerful versions of said consoles. Just because this $500 unit isn't running a particular game to the vision some gamers have doesn't make either console weak. This is not a $1500+ PC decked out. Neither console is. Stop expecting that this console, which is estimated to be about 40% (I think) more powerful than the the PS4 Pro, or that it is more than it is. Just because this game, currently, isn't running any version of this game, be it alpha or final, isn't at least true 4K at 60 FPS minimum doesn't mean that the Xbox One X is a fail.
Not the argument and has never been the argument. Nobody expects these consoles to do 4K 60fps even though some games are 4K 60fps on Pro already and i would expect the same on Xbo X. The argument is about Phil Spencer and camp saying Pro is not true 4K console and Xbo X is a the first and only true 4K console. I myself i'm pretty astonished at how this gen is playing out. We have new console revisions with more power and capable of delivering 4K HDR games, that in itself i find amazing.

Colbert

Banned
The range of render methods is a wide one. In the video was said in this case it seems to be checkerboarding 2160p. Which is different to most of the games on PS4 that checkerboard up to 1800p and then upscale to 4K. No upscale here. We will see how it looks and play out on the PS4 Pro and if they can checkerboard to a full 2160p too.

Btw (already said by others several times) MS does not mandate native 4K to 3rd party developers. They only promised it for their own games.

clintar

It's still a failure imo. I planned to get an Xbox One X to get a taste of 4K until prices go down so I can upgrade to 4K on the PC. But if I won't get 4K then what's the point? Get a taste of fake 4K isn't quite as interesting. And the framerate is still the usual 30fps we've got used to on console. Feels very much like a simple (but definitely well designed) stop-gap console just like Pro, it's slightly better but it's still not able to hit 4K unless devs start sacrificing things. So what's the point really? It would be better to push the PR message toward hw supersampling and anisotropic filtering than "4K".
I hope you change your mind. It really is a great technique that would still impress you I bet.

Lucifon

You could literally ramp up the even further to 10tflops for example and you'd still have devs which choose checkerboarding / other techniques over native 4k. It's completely up to the devs and the tech they're working with. Some people complaining about non-native 4k need to first understand just how game development works.

It all depends on the visuals they're trying to push, the engine tech they're working with, the game's code, and the overall effort from the studios / resources able to dedicate to optimisation and a tonne more factors.

Darklor01

Not the argument and has never been the argument. Nobody expects these consoles to do 4K 60fps even though some games are 4K 60fps on Pro already and i would expect the same on Xbo X. The argument is about Phil Spencer and camp saying Pro is not true 4K console and Xbo X is a the first and only true 4K console. I myself i'm pretty astonished at how this gen is playing out. We have new console revisions with more power and capable of delivering 4K HDR games, that in itself i find amazing.

Ah, .. OK, I read some of these comments and start to think that is the argument. It seems that a lot of reactions seem to read as if they are saying, marketing says this should be capable of blowing away the PS4 Pro, or laughing at the Xbox One X power, or whatever. My reaction is to those who immediately seem to develop some console war variation statement based on any little information they can of one system vs. another regardless of what Marketing says.

That said, did Phil actually use those words? I can't recall. If so, he should run for President.

Kaydan

Banned
Video specifies that the Pro runs AC at 1440p. I wonder if that's with console level details or same high level details as 1X.

Tripolygon

Banned

No joke

High?? I thought it would equal Ultra or very high at least.....that is somewhat disappointing and concerning. I mean it's not even native 4k wtf......

arhra

And to be fair, there are games on the PS4 Pro that run in native 4k. Skyrim and Elder Scrolls Online for example. That's where this "true 4k" nonsense gets annoying - both consoles can do it, but both mostly won't. Checkerboarding makes far more sense since it still looks gorgeous but allows extra GPU power to go elsewhere.

It comes down to what the systems were designed to do, really.

MS have pretty clearly stated that the XB1X was designed to take base XB1 games at 900-1080p, and run them at 4k natively via raw brute force.

Sony have pretty clearly stated that their plan was that base PS4 games at 1080p would use checkerboarding/etc on the Pro to hit ~4k through clever engineering.

But neither has hard requirements, and devs will do whatever they can do make their games run and look at their best on any given hardware.

The interesting thing will be when devs start using the kind of techniques that Sony planned to use to hit 4k on the Pro on the base consoles, in order to hit 1080 with improved fidelity in other areas - which some are already doing, in some cases.

For the XB1X, the brute force scaling makes it easy - you just run your 1080/900cb game at 2160cb. For the Pro, well you're already using checkerboarding, so you'll just crank it up to the highest pixelcount you can manage without the frames dropping too badly. It'll be interesting to watch the DF face-offs over the next few years as that scenario plays out.

Hell, ACO being 2160cb with dynamic resolution on XB1X suggests that it may already be playing out - if they're 2160cb with no noticeable drops on XB1X, they're probably using checkerboarding across all consoles, aiming for 2160 on XB1X with headroom to avoid drops, 1080 on PS4 with headroom to avoid drops, and then whatever they can manage on XB1/Pro (probably hovering around 900 or so on XB1, and maybe ~1800 on Pro, depending on load?).

So, not every game is native 4K, some are checkerboard and it's up to developers to decide. That's exactly same as Pro, only more expensive. ��

Well, yeah, this was known lol.

All of this "true 4k" console nonsense generates bad impressions of brillant software techiniques like checkerboarding, which are good for everyone. Yes, even for PC games.

cackhyena

I'm really not interested in 4k. I'm interested in the best place to play third party. For me, like it was on 360, it'll be this machine. At least going by the tech to make it as smooth as can be. That's what matters.

Marmelade

High?? I thought it would equal Ultra or very high at least.....that is somewhat disappointing and concerning. I mean it's not even native 4k wtf......

Again, he never talked about high settings or any settings at all
"I get the impression that the presentation is more like that of a high end PC experience than console level visuals"
It's just his opinion after seeing the footage

Well, yeah, this was known lol.

but why are the settings only High and not Ultra? For example the ps4 pro version might be console "High" vs pc high for the xbox one x?
Again, he never talked about high settings or any settings at all
"I get the impression that the presentation is more like that of a high end PC experience than console level visuals"
It's just his opinion after seeing the footage
oh i see, let's hope it's higher then.

but why are the settings only High and not Ultra? For example the ps4 pro version might be console "High" vs pc high for the xbox one x?

oh i see, let's hope it's higher then.

Why it should be ultra?

The console has better GPU and slightly higher clocked CPU, but yet, it's not enough, and this is totally fine since they are working with hardware old AF. At least now they have a way better design of the console architecture than the original XO.

Just looking at TF numbers we can expect:

native 1080 on S -> native 4k
900p -> checkerboard 4K or native with lower framerates
720p -> at best checkerboard 4K but more likely less

Also since there's no 2xFP16 at cost of FP32 in X there's no secret sauce for developers to make games that look better than 6TF number suggests.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Spatial audio? As in Dolby Atmos? I wasn't aware that games could use Dolby Atmos, I thought that was reserved for media content on the XB1X.
If only we got the 60FPS part :(

I hope the next update brings Spatial Audio to games.
Ive been waiting for this since Sonic and Atmos were launched for Xbox One....but so far its still app only.
Sonic for Windows 10 works like half the time when gaming, but if the Xbox One expects Spatial for its games i imagine it will work better than when gaming on Win10.

On topic

I hope Checkboard Rendering is also in the PC version, Watchdogs 2 Checkboard on PC was the business after actually giving it a chance to achieve those fps i needed.

After struggling.....and i mean struggling to lock Assassins Creed Unity at 1440p60 id be more than happy with checkboard in Origins if it means i can get stable 1440p and beyond.

Long live checkerboard!

P.S MS back to being the go to Third Party console....hopefully the install base and/or Play Anywhere grows so that smaller studios start releasing their games on the platform.

Space_nut

Devs have always had the ability to use the power in any way stated by Philhimself. Every first party is 4k native.

Now don't get it twisted that pro is going to look the same. It'll be like 1440p console setting compared to Xbox One X 2160cb pc high settings

Wait till the face offs

Also good to see Xbox has amazing hardware features for cb that shows here

arhra

I hope the next update brings Spatial Audio to games.
Ive been waiting for this since Sonic and Atmos were launched for Xbox One....but so far its still app only.
Sonic for Windows 10 works like half the time when gaming, but if the Xbox One expects Spatial for its games i imagine it will work better than when gaming on Win10.

The Creator's update added support for spatial audio, that's why you can select the output options now (and get the basic virtual surround for headsets in existing games).

True spatial audio in games will obviously have to wait for games to support the new APIs, but I'd expect some of the stuff shipping later this year to have it.

Luckydog

You know what, I'm going to do this for you because either you really struggle with comprehension or how time works. These are my latest posts in the Forza thread:

Your claims yesterday about the ESRB were that "E for everyone" doesn't actually mean for everyone when the fact is that right now it does. The ratings have been adjusted since whatever decade old website you managed to find to quote had last been updated (which isn't the first result on Google if you google "ESRB ratings" by the way). The reason for them being updated and them adding a new E 10+ category? To make sure the icons actually match the meaning in order to ensure transparency. E actually means for everyone. Just like how "True 4K" should mean just that but for some reason in the context of Xbox's marketing it doesn't. No matter how much you or the company you seem to worship try to spin it, "true 4K" is a definition that should be reserved for native games only.

So no, I'm not the one moving the goalposts. You might seem to think that because you have decoupled yourself from the reality of the scenario and what is being posted. Nothing you post is factual or well researched. It tends to be cherry picked false or outdated information fit to suit whatever agenda you have at any given time.

Wow, talk about cherry picking. Leave out the first post where you shit on it, leave out where you say you may get it on PC, or the last where you are resigned to love and hate it.

Your reading comprehension or memory must be severely lacking. But as long as you backhandedly say something vaguely positive once you are just "keeping it real". Good job.

Top Bottom