• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Assassin creed origins Xbox one x tech first look.

STANNY

Neo Member
Yup but Sony doesn't go around saying the PS4 is a true 1080p console, hence the argument here.

Out of curiosity, What's the difference between calling a console "4k console" and a "true 4k console"?

Essentially the same statement if you ask me. Sony refer to the Pro as a "4k console". Scorpio a "true 4k console", all means the same thing.

Theorry

Out of curiosity, What's the difference between calling a console "4k console" and a "true 4k console"?

Essentially the same statement if you ask me. Sony refer to the Pro as a "4k console". Scorpio a "true 4k console", all means the same thing.

Difference is upscaled maybe?
I have more the feeling Phil says True 4K to steer away from the Upscaled 4K on the Xbox One S. To make clear the differnce.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Xbone has some 1080p games as well, it has probably a bigger number of high profile 1080p locked 60fps games than the PS4,but still, would anyone here say that's just as capable at 1080p as the PS4?

No right? Then what's so controversial about that quote?

Because its coming from Phil Spencer. Someone in his position should know better...IMO.

Yup but Sony doesn't go around saying the PS4 is a true 1080p console, hence the argument here.

leeh

Difference is upscaled maybe?
I have more the feeling Phil says True 4K to steer away from the Upscaled 4K on the Xbox One S. To make clear the differnce.
Oh that makes sense actually.

So basically, you will never see any up-scaling to 4K on the Scorpio, it'll either be dynamic, checkerboard or native.

There's your difference to the Pro. Let's go with that one.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Random question that might of been answered.

I saw that list of 60 games or so that will run in 4K on Xbox ONe X, but was that list of Native 4k Games, and did Microsoft ever say on stage that Crackdown 3 and Sea of Thieves will be in native 4k?

It seems odd they pushed it so hard with forza 7 but not the others?

Am I overthinking it?

agi290

Neo Member
Xbone has some 1080p games as well, it has probably a bigger number of high profile 1080p locked 60fps games than the PS4,but still, would anyone here say that's just as capable at 1080p as the PS4?

No right? Then what's so controversial about that quote?

Is this true?

Space_nut

So basically, you will never see any up-scaling to 4K on the Scorpio, it'll either be dynamic, checkerboard or native.

Difference is not just res. It's graphics also. You'll see high settings for Xbox One X while pro run med to low settings

Just like Ark 60fps with larger draw distance, higher res textures, more poly models compared to 30fps base console settings on pro

LKSmash

Random question that might of been answered.

I saw that list of 60 games or so that will run in 4K on Xbox ONe X, but was that list of Native 4k Games, and did Microsoft ever say on stage that Crackdown 3 and Sea of Thieves will be in native 4k?

It seems odd they pushed it so hard with forza 7 but not the others?

Am I overthinking it?

The only guaranteed native 4K games will be first party titles. So yes, crackdown and SoT will be native. They've said countless times that 3rd party games are at the developer's discretion hence checkerboard for AC. That list of 60 games will be a varied bunch of 4K offerings.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
The only guaranteed native 4K games will be first party titles. So yes, crackdown and SoT will be native. They've said countless times that 3rd party games are at the developer's discretion hence checkerboard for AC. That list of 60 games will be a varied bunch of 4K offerings.

Just trying to be clear here, when you say varied 4K offerings, you are saying different types of rendering techniques like checkboarding etc?

DOWN

Banned
You mean improved lighting over Syndicate. Unity has unmatched lighting and they downgraded it for Syndicate

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

I haven't skimmed through the entire topic but based on OP it seems like this is 4K with checker boarding. Syndicate on PS4 Pro was 1800p with Checker boarding.

If they're using the same config as Syndicate for the Pro version, it should be 1800p checker boarded while the Xb X version is 2160p with CB. That's all I meant.

edit: Syndicate on Pro is 1620p CC. Not 1800p. My bad.

I haven't skimmed through the entire topic but based on OP it seems like this is 4K with checker boarding. Syndicate on PS4 Pro was 1800p with Checker boarding.

If they're using the same config as Syndicate for the Pro version, it should be 1800p checker boarded while the Xb X version is 2160p with CB. That's all I meant.

Isn't Syndicate 1620p checkboarding?

FZW

I expected checkerboard but it really makes Phil's whole "true 4k" speech look bad.

Not really, he's been saying many times that Native 4K is a design decision and he's not gonna force any third party company to do it. This game is not running at console settings, its running at high PC settings which is probably why they couldn't hit the Native 4k target. Thats something the devs chose. Who's to say that they couldn't have a lowered the settings and got Native 4k?

Fact of the matter is, this console is very well equipped to deliver Native 4k in the majority of its games if they chose to stick XB1 and PS4 settings. Are we really gonna attack Phil every time a dev decides they are gonna choose graphic effects over resolution? Seems unreasonable.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
feel true power, true 4K, uncompressed pixels.

Jesus i don't fault the HW for not getting native 4K in games, but the marketing is just embarrassing for all involved

Inuhanyou

Did AC even start to market? What's embarrassing about it.

I'm talking about how MS are attempting to market the X in general, not AC. It makes compromises for the hardware unfair for how they have hyped the thing up as a 'no compromise' machine with their terrible buzzwords and catch phrases.

The machine will have to make sacrifices at points, just not as many as Pro and not as often.

Tripolygon

Banned

No it doesn't.

Why? you might ask

Because when you play a game that is less than 4K on Scorpio on a 4K TV, it will be upscaled to 4K. That and Phil said this
This is a true 4K console...When I think about techniques to somehow manufacture a 4K screen like what some other consoles try to do, this is different than that.
Fuck it the term is bollocks.
Welcome to reason, that's all we've been saying all along.

cakely

Did AC even start to market? What's embarrassing about it.

Almost unfair.
Fear nothing.
Pixel purity.
Feel true power.
Terrifying clarity.
Feel every pixel.
All thrills.

To me, that's cringeworthy marketing. Others may find it inspiring, I don't know.

Crayon

-so-pro2-rtu3u.png

It's a joke. Dont freak out.

BigEmil

I'm not spending $500 on a console just for 4k or less. 60fps or fuck off with that price
What year is this?

Kaako

Felium Defensor
This thread has been a joy to read so far haha. Ya'll gon get this "fakeK/fauxK/etc" and love it. Cause it's actually a more efficient solution for these mid gen consoles.
It's gonna be fun as hell watching the same people making fun of checkerboard rendering come around and embrace it now after they get a taste on their X.

GHG

Wow, talk about cherry picking. Leave out the first post where you shit on it, leave out where you say you may get it on PC, or the last where you are resigned to love and hate it.

Your reading comprehension or memory must be severely lacking. But as long as you backhandedly say something vaguely positive once you are just "keeping it real". Good job.

Again you seem to be incapable of reading the information provided. To avoid repeating myself again this is what I said in this very thread in reference to my first post in that thread:

Yes, cherry pick a post from when all we had at that point was a mediocre trailer and no details on any of the changes that had been made to the game. Forgive me for being cautious based on the fact that for the previous 2 Motorsport games fan feedback had largely been ignored while they chased after the casual gamer market.

And no, I shouldn't have to explain my every single post regarding Forza to you. I have put almost 100 hours into each Forza game this generation and have purchased every single ultimate edition/expansion pack and piece of DLC.

So as such; I'm allowed to have an opinion, I'm allowed to feel burnt out if I feel there is only more of the same coming, I'm allowed to have a love/hate relationship with the game, I'm allowed to critique the games where I see fit. in addition, as somebody who owns a gaming PC as well as an Xbox One I am allowed to excersise the option to purchase the game on the PC since that option is also open to me (why you are attempting to frame that as some sort of negative thing I will never know).

What I won't allow is for you to roll out posts containing selective and false information framed in a way to make it seem like I'm Xbox's public enemy number one. If you deem all of the above to be "shitting on the game" (it's not by the way) then so be it, but I'm not going to sugar coat things just to ensure your feelings don't get hurt. If you can't handle constructive criticism against your favourite company and the games they produce then that is your problem, nobody else's, and to be frank, it's something that you should attempt to deal with internally instead of mud slinging.

rokkerkory

Some of these responses are pretty embarrassing. This is up for devs to decide how to use the power. This engine for AC: Origins isn't made from ground up for the pro / 1X anyways.

gamz

Almost unfair.
Fear nothing.
Pixel purity.
Feel true power.
Terrifying clarity.
Feel every pixel.
All thrills.

To me, that's cringeworthy marketing. Others may find it inspiring, I don't know.

I mean it's marketing and good buzz words. I dunno...

The argument (at least from what I'm seeing) isn't about the fact that Phil said it, it's about pointing that since Pro have some native 4k games and xbonex has some non native ones it's a false statement.

Either way I don't see why the outrage when even this game not being native is a much bigger leap already than any other game with Pro support thus far.

Not a single game on Pro made a jump this big in resolution from the base console, even without considering the other improvements such as high end pc settings, higher quality textures and smoother (apparently locked) framerate. Pro updates usually deliver on a single one of those points, often even then falling short, and never delivered all those at once. So I wouldn't say that's one example to single out how true or not that statement is. He haven't seen the Pro version yet, but from other games it does set xbonex apart from pro.

NBA 2k17 went from 1080p on PS4 to native (not checkerboard) 4k on PS4Pro.. You may want to edit that post.

Are we really concerned about a game on a system that's 5 months from release? They may get to 4K when it's all said and done. They may keep CB to maximize elsewhere. I'll just wait for the final release DF comparison.

Getting mad about basic marketing is silly.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Some of these responses are pretty embarrassing. This is up for devs to decide how to use the power. This engine for AC: Origins isn't made from ground up for the pro / 1X anyways.
Indeed. This is just silly. The implementation is fantastic and genuinely looks native in most situations. The hate in regards to this type of rendering baffles me. It's a good way to get solid results with a reduced performance cost. MS never promised native 4K for every game - it's up to devs.

Indeed. This is just silly. The implementation is fantastic and genuinely looks native in most situations. The hate in regards to this type of rendering baffles me. It's a good way to get solid results with a reduced performance cost. MS never promised native 4K for every game - it's up to devs.

100% this

gamz

Not to mention Phil has said it over and over again it's up to the Dev how they use the power.

The arguement is and has always been about what Phil Spencer said. As for the rest of your post, it is nonsense. Feel free to go reread the thread and OP

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1390700

What an argument on another thread has to do with what's being discussed on this thread? This thread is about people telling what people say it's a lie.

And how it's non sense when it's precisely the point of why isn't a lie?

Let's try it from a different point of view:

- Ps4 Pro can't take this game at Xbox One settings, and bring to native 4k

- Xbonex likely can (perhaps no way to know for sure with this game, but other evidence like what other games are doing, and the savings from going native to checkerboard on other Pro games).

- We are saying that they are the same when one console needs to do checkerboard to deliver a 4k game, whereas the other checkerboard is needed to deliver higher quality settings at 4k. Do you see the difference?

- On another words, we still haven't seen the Pro version, but if it follows the trend of other Ubi games, even the older ACs that got patched, we are looking at a resolution increase to 1800c and little to no further enhancements. If that's the case than this game is delivering a higher performance delta than Xbone>Ps4 ever had. And that's a game they only had weeks with the xbonex devkits, who aren't even final btw.

So let me ask again, how exactly does this game proves Phil was lying?

Why are you posting false statements?

Some 1080P PS4 games are native 4K on PS4 Pro

Which 900p ps4 game reached 2160c on Pro?

Space_nut

Wait till you show everyone how much better Xbox One X looks over the pro

Pro will just be base PS4 settings while Xbox One X having superior textures, effects, poly count, performance, draw distance, etc

There's absolutely nothing wrong with checkerboard rendering for 4K, and I hope Microsoft understands that WE are ok with that. But their messaging is definitely whats unfortunate due to the fact that Sony's console is doing it, but they aren't competitors right....

Space_nut

What an argument on another thread has to do with what's being discussed on this thread? This thread is about people telling what people say it's a lie.

And how it's non sense when it's precisely the point of why isn't a lie?

Let's try it from a different point of view:

- Ps4 Pro can't take this game at Xbox One settings, and bring to native 4k

- Xbonex likely can (perhaps no way to know for sure with this game, but other evidence like what other games are doing, and the savings from going native to checkerboard on other Pro games).

- We are saying that they are the same when one console needs to do checkerboard to deliver a 4k game, whereas the other checkerboard is needed to deliver higher quality settings at 4k. Do you see the difference?

- On another words, we still haven't seen the Pro version, but if it follows the trend of other Ubi games, even the older ACs that got patched, we are looking at a resolution increase to 1800c and little to no further enhancements. If that's the case than this game is delivering a higher performance delta than Xbone>Ps4 ever had. And that's a game they only had weeks with the xbonex devkits, who aren't even final btw.

So let me ask again, how exactly does this game proves Phil was lying?

Which 900p ps4 game reached 2160c on Pro?

Yup face off will make some people here go mad lol

gamz

There's absolutely nothing wrong with checkerboard rendering for 4K, and I hope Microsoft understands that WE are ok with that. But their messaging is definitely whats unfortunate due to the fact that Sony's console is doing it, but they aren't competitors right....

MS has no control what devs do with the power of the X. Do you seriously want Phil to watch over every single game. You are being silly.

What's your take on how "portable" these checkerboarding solutions are across Pro and One X? Is it as simple as moving the solution over from Pro to One X and moving the slider up a few notches so you're going to, say, 2160c instead of 1800c?

From the DF Pro write up I couldn't discern how exclusive the checkerboarding solution is to the Pro (and vice versa for One X)

Inuhanyou

They didn't have to promise 4K for every game in order have embarrassing marketing John. Don't defend that.

Had we had less of buzzwords and more down to earth ads, people would not be reacting like this(of course with the Pro's fauxK mocking, maybe not)

People have to be realistic about Scorpio's power. That is in regards to what it can do in regards to FPS(no, marketing deals did not make Destiny 2 30fps) and resolution(yes, Scorpio will have to make compromises too)

Top Bottom