• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] New Scorpio Spec Leak: ESRAM Gone, GPU Features Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigJP

People are already freaking out over one Penello post that generally means nothing.

I don't dictate what Albert can say, he's an industry figure, well respected. He can say what he wants. But he's the mouthpiece for MS and the Xbox division, should he not be held to account on managing expectations?

Why would this even be necessary? people are manufacturing hype and being let down because the console isnt the god console they envisioned. same thing happend with no man's sky. just let them reveal the specs and then judge if its the console for you.

WadeitOut

Don't make a girl a promise, if you know you can't keep it.

2017_01_24.png

Lol perfect

Wedzi

Banned
For a non tech pc guy, what does this mean exactly.

From - Pre-Reports
To - Current Reports

How much of a downgrade is it?

From what was originally expected? Zero downgrade.
From what fanboys dreamed up of? Might as well be a toaster. A very nice toaster though.

I have no idea how something like this could work, but I would assume in theory it could look better than motion interpolation on TVs since it would be interpolating animation and then rendering a new image to go with the interpolated animation, rather than just interpolating a new image from existing images.

I guess the real question would be what the performance cost of something like this would be and what kind of artifacts would be present.

Yeah, like you say "interpolating animation" requires CPU time, like updating the position of all objects on screen? I can't see how it would work with a low/no cost. I mean, games are already optimized so that not everything happens every frame, only what is needed, so I still don't see it.

Outrun

Just to clarify once more.

Is it all about the software? Or are we back to TFLOPS and 4K?

Like Durante stated, it is what sane people expected.

Nikodemos

Er...i'm not white.

I just don't like when PR people invite snowball effects.
It was the punchline to an old joke.

But saying 'people' as an item were hyped then disappointed by the info overlooks the fact that, ever since it was announced, a lot of voices asked to keep expectations in check until more info, while others outright stated that it was unlikely a fundamental architectural shift would be implemented.

I mean, maybe you personally were hyped by the speculations, but projecting that hype on others is hardly fair.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Why would this even be necessary? people are manufacturing hype and being let down because the console isnt the god console they envisioned. same thing happend with no man's sky. just let them reveal the specs and then judge if its the console for you.

-shrugs- your right.

Its a tick of mine to police these threads like i'm some sort of 'expectation manager'. Its honestly not a very good look, but i generally don't have much self control but to post

Gradly

Any chance at a non-vague, possibly specific response? I've asked several questions.

The machine is capable of 4k60fps and is likely to launch... with 4k60fps games.

What is the major feature that they announced, that suddenly isn't in this reading of their specs... which is exactly what they announced, that you're referring to?

Unless you take things out of context for whatever silly reason; nothing has changed since it was announced. Like, Sony avatar guy on previous page, rather obvious why he'd take things out of context.

If you find a fault in that statement, possibly be more specific.

Why did you ask me if I read their statements, etc in the past 7 months? If the reason that they changed their original plans then that answers your questions. I don't expect a company to reveal anything just to entice people then they come up with a compromised product at the end. True 4K gaming was a major tent pole feature, even it's the first one they show just have a look at the picture in the previous posts above. What I expect is 95% of games would be in native 4K otherwise it's a misleading announcement

6 months ago at E3, MS flip flopped between developers can use Scorpio anyway they want, to no Scorpio exclusive games.

No flipflop. Shannon Loftis just screwed up in her answer the question about this. MS clearly said "no one left behind" at the E3 2016 reveal which was before she screwed up her answer. She apologized for it very soon after and Spencer and Greenberg reaffirmed that the only Scorpio exclusives would be VR titles.

Trup1aya

They said no one will be left behind. Everything is supposed to work on both consoles. If VR comes out, people will be left behind.

Not really

If they come out with some Scorpio-exclusive VR game (which i doubt they will) then you could argue people are getting left behind.

If an xbox 1 game gets a "pro-patch" that enables VR on the scorpio version, then you just have a different example of the expected dynamic- games on scorpio will have more bells and whistles

If the scorpio gets a port of a VR game that exists on another platform (PC,PS4) it isnt a scorpio exclusive, so their mantra still holds true.

Interfectum

For a non tech pc guy, what does this mean exactly.

From - Pre-Reports
To - Current Reports

How much of a downgrade is it?

There has been no downgrade. It's becoming more clear that Scorpio is exactly what MS says it is, a 4K Xbox.

Apparently some people's hype got ahead of them with what this hardware is actually being created for.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
It was the punchline to an old joke.

But saying 'people' as an item were hyped than disappointed oversimplifies the fact that, ever since it was announced, a lot of voices asked to keep expectations in check until more info, while others outright stated that it was unlikely a fundamental architectural shift would be implemented.

I mean, maybe you personally were hyped by the speculations, but projecting that hype on others is hardly fair.

I admit i felt really betrayed by the DRM shit after a lot of hype by MS officials online for Xbox 720, cause i was very invested in the Xbox ecosystem at the time and i didn't think they would try something like that.

But it wasn't just me who felt like that, there were others, while maybe not with DRM, but with the specs of the console, the kinect requirement, the price ect.

It was a shitshow.

jaypah

No downgrade.

To: Current reports.
Downgrade.

Don't forget to sprinkle in some "If Scorpio doesn't deliver native 4K for every title they're fucked/liars!!". Well I guess those people may have been fans too, just not MS fans lol

IC5

Custom multithreaded CPU to GPU codepath, to keep asynchronus queues fed in PS4Pro and to a larger factor, Scorpion: will be the way to hide the slowness of Jaguar.

And we still aren't doing native DX12 games, yet. That helps the CPU out a lot. All the systems will benefit, from that. Xbone and PS4 probably wont do a lot with asynchronus compute, unfortunately. As their shader queues will already be saturated.

Kayant

I've actually been here pretty regularly posting. Not a ton, but I've been here when there is something to say.

The nature of my job makes it hard to comment on everything.
You still haven't addressed this like you said you would iirc ;)
Pretty good, I'd say.
You asked what the chances were.

I'll be back. You're right, I should talk about it. But right now, still lots of info to come out. Once the dust settles, and all the information is out there, I'll address my comments.

novabolt

XB1S: Ughhh, I'm dad
PS4 PRO: Now, can you see why you could never compete with me on power?
XB1S: You're totally right PS4 PRO, I shouldn't hav..... PSYCHE , XBOX POWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Nikodemos

link?

I thought it wasn't even close to being on the level of a X1, it's a generation behind in tech
What? No, Switch is pretty current, tech-wise.

It's just that it uses mobile components in order to achieve low electrical consumption (and enable portable mode) which leads to lower performance.

But Switch is the closest Nintendo have ever been to current tech since Gamecube.

allan-bh

I believe is crucial launch this thing at $399, so I don't wait a monster hardware.

I will only be somewhat disappointed if the CPU remaining being the same.

Breakage

Wait... Sony isn't positioning the PS4 Pro as a "premium" product? What on earth are you talking about?
No they aren't. You just have to look at the Pro to see that. It follows the same design language as the PS4 Slim and even uses the same cheap plastic. There's nothing premium about it. It's just a more powerful PS4. Hence why it is only marginally more expensive than the base model. I've never heard Sony refer to it as premium product.

Every single complaint you just listed can be leveraged against the PS4 Pro verbatim. The answer to all of those questions is that the PS4 Slim/Xbox One S will still be available to purchase for people who don't want the "premium" experience. If you don't think that's worth the money at launch, I have great news for you! Over time, both consoles will become cheaper.
My point is that at the end of the day Scorpio is just an improved version of a 2013 console. Yet the rhetoric coming out of Microsoft and boasts about power: "breaking boundaries, no holding-back" suggest that Scorpio is something else.

The difference is that Microsoft's strategy seems to be that Scorpio will eventually become their new "base" model. Sony's comments suggest that PS4 Pro is an upgrade to a PS4, and both will be obsolete once the PS5 launches.

If Scorpio is coming out at the end of this year, what kind of lifespan are MS planning for it? By 2020 eyes will be looking towards PS5 while MS will be 2 years into a console that plays games built for a 7 year old platform.

Cartho

I kinda predicted it would be like this, as did many others. There's going to be a hell of alot of butthurt / shattered dreams on the net though if this really is true because some people had allowed hype to totally cloud reality. Just like they did when they thought Switch would be an Xbox One which you could stick in your pocket and would only cost £200. People dreaming of Zen and Vega were deluding themselves - if it had been slated for a holiday 2018 release then maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom