• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] New Scorpio Spec Leak: ESRAM Gone, GPU Features Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assuming this paper is still accurate, it means that anyone hoping for 60fps are going to be very disappointed, as a direct result of the negligible boost in CPU power. As with the PS4 Pro, the GPU increase will be used almost entirely to increase the resolution.

Munki

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/project-scorpio/

Nothing MS said has changed, only people's crazy expectations.

Actually, I noticed that the details have changed slightly. Specifically the little snippet mentioning VR has been removed.

project-scorpio-features.jpg

Horp

I have a PS4. Being 6 TF and having higher memory bandwidth means that to me getting a Scorpio makes a lot of sense to me.

12Dannu123

I expected either a pro type upgrade or the scorpio to be a windows 10 "steambox" like device that can run the pc versions of their titles.

That's what the Scorpio is, it's based on PC UWP. However this is talking about the specs and not the developer model or developer process.

thelastword

Banned
Seems like Sony was right to launch a year earlier.
You are absolutely correct, some people even have exaggerated opinions of the performance gains a 6TF GPU will have over a 4.2TF GPU.....Don't expect 4k native on the Scorpio and checkerboarding on the PS4.PRO......You can expect pretty much the same resolutions on both systems, maybe slightly higher on Scorpio on select titles. I think the biggest difference will be 5-10fps over pro on average on multiplatform titles, with a max of 15fps uptick on rare occasions, if said title is MS marketed as an example.

If Scorpio had a Zen CPU, I think the refresh would be amazing coming a year later, *which would be great for pulling in 60fps on most multiplatofrm titles that simply settled for 30fps before on consoles, it would also bolster 360 BC much more and set the scorpio as a really nice proposition with 4k native first party efforts all in one box".....

As it stands, the 10fps divide in multiplats in Scorpio over Pro will not be big enough, the resolution differences, if there are, won't be that significant on a 4k screen and since MS is losing exclusives and don't have the stock of exclusives that Sony has for 2017 and beyond, it's going to be a huge effort to ask people to buy Scorpio in late 2017 for a plain looking Forza 6/7 at 4k 60fps or Halo5 at 1620p 60fps or even the MCC at 4k 60fps......

I may buy it for the exclusives to play these titles at a high resolution and better fps, but I feel people like me are few and far between, since I never had an XB1 and never purchased one since I thought it was underpowered and lacking exclusives. Also, we don't even know how much MS will charge for this thing, they will have UHD which bolsters the price, they may have more ram and more bandwidth over PRO, higher clocks which all adds up and of course they will need to improve cooling as a result. Yeah it's coming in 2017 and some of these parts may be less to produce then, but it's a big gamble coming so late with a not so significant leap over PRO whilst also lacking impactful exclusives... I can easily see the Scorpio coming in at $500.00 with UHD, 12GB, a 6TF GPU and some enhanced controller and other miscellaneous features.

On the flip, what may prevent me from purchasing the Scorpio at all, is that so many of it's exclusives are now on PC.......Why should I wait to play Ki, Forza6, Quantum Break at a higher resolution and better framerates, when I can do so now with a GPU for about $199.00 and below.....An RX 480 runs Ki, Forza, Halo Forge etc...at 4k 60fps....

Thats what Neogaf said about the xbox one S. No one would buy it.

Exactly, im just excited to see the next halo running on this.
You must have been on the wrong forum, because all I saw was XB1-S would be flying off shelves because of the UHD.....even giving PS4 a flogging because of the in-existent media drive in it's case....

geordiemp

It's 40% more powerful with faster bandwidth and 50% more memory.

And 0 % CPU improvement.... and games will run very similar....CPU is very out of balance with pro, Scorpio its likely to be even worse.

Dont expect Witcher 3 to run at 60 FPS even at 1080p.

So what's the consensus here? Did that dev that said Pro is half-assed and Scorpio is next-gen (what a console would look like if released in 2017) confirm this is old and Scorpio is now more powerful than these specs? Mainly a more powerful CPU?

If it's true that these papers are really dated back to shortly after last year's E3, I'd still take some of this with a grain of salt. I wouldn't expect major changes, but a lot of this would not have been finalized at that point in time.

cakely

The difference in power means the Scorpio:pro is like PS4:One. Native 4k games on Pro will be native 4k on Scorpio with perhaps a few bells and whistles. 1800p games on Pro may be rendered natively at 2160p on a case by case basis.

It's frankly bizarre that all of the "new gen, abandonment of XbONE!" FUD is now being used against MS for paying the same lip service as Sony to 4k TV owners, only better.

There was absolutely no shortage of FUD regarding the PS4 Pro on GAF before and after the launch. People in this very thread still somehow think that "it runs games worse" thanks to the dozens of threads that were popping up after launch.

I have no illusions about the XBO:S. Yep, there will definitely be plenty of upgrades over the PS4P. Digital Foundry will have its work cut out for it.

ViciousDS

Banned
Talking about esram on xbox 1

Sure...but older xbox 1 games which were setup for esram will need something..will it be virtualization or something else

can't wait to how this is/isn't implemented. Microsoft definitely is better/more experienced on the software side of things.

I'm not seeing disappointment, just a load of faux outrage, and people pretending others are disappointed.

Just another day on here unfortunately

Any news that comes out about the xbox is seen through a lens of negativity( I wonder why..). Last year it was "Scorpio is doomed, no one will buy that overpriced xbox". Today, "MS lied about the Scorpio, it's not as powerful as it was claimed to be". All with the probability of it being the same price as the Pro with a massive increase in GPU performance. Games(especially games primarily on console) don't need crazy good CPU's. Hell, I'm running a 6 year CPU in my desktop and I get 140+fps @ 1440p on all games with high settings.

Head.spawn

And 0 % CPU improvement.... and games will run very similar....CPU is very out of balance with pro, Scorpio its likely to be even worse.

Dont expect Witcher 3 to run at 60 FPS.

Do you expect any games to run worse than PS4 Pro? I'm not sure how you get "worse".

Uhhh hold up. Is Scorpio VR actually happening or not?

Albert Penello, since you're already posting in this thread, can you confirm if MS is still implementing a VR solution for Scorpio at launch?

VR was announced at e3.

Remember when Cboat clowned penello on cod being 720p on xbone.

Good times.

Yeah, also funny when he tried to clown Respawn developers here about 720p Titanfall. :p

RootCause

There was absolutely no shortage of FUD regarding the PS4 Pro on GAF before and after the launch. People in this very thread still somehow think that "it runs games worse" thanks to the dozens of threads that were popping up after launch.

I have no illusions about the XBO:S. Yep, there will definitely be plenty of upgrades over the PS4P. Digital Foundry will have its work cut out for it.
You'll need a 21:9 monitor to watch the side by side comparisons. 😂

X1,PS4,PS4P,X1S,XS,NS, and PC. 😮

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
6TF with no ESRAM

Even without Zen, I don't understand the disappointment.

Devs focusing on 1080p will be putting out amazing visuals.

geordiemp

Where do you get that from?

Read the thread man. What we know :

1. AMD say Zen APU not until 2018. That leaves the old AMD CPU's/

2. Ps4 pro already close to max clocks on AMD old CPU at 16 nm.

What do you expect ? A stand alone Intel GPU or Scorpio to come out in late 2018 ?

Maybe MS could go really hot and clock Jaguar above 2.1 at 16 nm and use water cooling or whatever - do you think thats likely ? Thats why everyone has been praying for a 2.5 Ghz + Zen and AMD to break through to Intel levels of CPU (for dat 60 FPS and more).

That is the problem with the PRO and Scorpio, Jaguar is very old and crap IPC. I have 2 Ps4 pro's, I know I will not get 60 FPS gaming on many open world games until next gen - witcher 3 and the like will stay at 30 FPS on console.

dogen

I think he's concerned with the CPU performance not scaling up in proportion to the GPU increase. Creates a bit of a bottleneck, as seen in a couple Pro titles.

Devs won't increase LOD if they can't. Most other visual improvements demand little to no CPU power.

why is thread is 23 pages anyway? the article tells us almost nothing.

Venom.

Actually, I noticed that the details have changed slightly. Specifically the little snippet mentioning VR has been removed.

project-scorpio-features.jpg

I think that line 'The first and only console to offer 4K gaming and High-fidelity VR' is grubby and underlines how Microsoft need to push their PR to maintain honest. This is not a fanboy defence pitch I'm just refuting the untrue claims that they were first!

The PS4 Pro does offer true 4K gaming and was the first console to do so. Admittedly it is only in a limited range of titles like The Last of Us, and most newer games use checkerboard techniques etc but it is still technically capable of 4K.

Also the PS4 is the first console to support VR. When Phil Spencer was telling EDGE magazine he didn't view it as a 'now, now' product Sony and Oculus were busy building VR products. Saying 'high fidelity' does not have a standard technical meaning so it is used to obfuscate the truth.

So nothing wrong with Microsoft marketing their console and VR as the best, but it is actually a lie to say they are the first. :)

ethomaz

Banned
Interesting... they removed the "first and only"... good catch guys.

E3 "The most powerful console ever, with 6 teraflops of graphical processing power. The first and only console to enable true 4K gaming and hi-fidelity VR. Compatible with all your Xbox One games and accessories"

Today "The most powerful console ever, featuring 6 Teraflops of graphical processing power, true 4K gaming, and compatibility with Xbox One games and accessories."

So the ESRAM gets removed but developers will still have to code their games as if the ESRAM still exists, so the games will run on the OG Xbox and yet will be entirely redundant on Scorpio. Forgive my ignorance of the technicalities of the subject but won't this get rather...messy?

Leyasu

Banned
Any news that comes out about the xbox is seen through a lens of negativity( I wonder why..). Last year it was "Scorpio is doomed, no one will buy that overpriced xbox". Today, "MS lied about the Scorpio, it's not as powerful as it was claimed to be". All with the probability of it being the same price as the Pro with a massive increase in GPU performance. Games(especially games primarily on console) don't need crazy good CPU's. Hell, I'm running a 6 year CPU in my desktop and I get 140+fps @ 1440p on all games with high settings.

I often read gaf with that Alanis Morisset song "see right through you" in my head...

Well he is quite right, 'exclusives' available on another platform to play it on means it's no longer 'exclusive' Ms tries so hard to make you believe.

No, he is factually incorrect. He said the Scorpio is equivalent to the PS4 Pro, which is only true if you ignore the huge 2.12 teraflops gap.

Head.spawn

I think he's concerned with the CPU performance not scaling up in proportion to the GPU increase. Creates a bit of a bottleneck, as seen in a couple Pro titles.

I guess overall that'll remain to be seen, but I highly doubt there will any circumstances where it actually performs worse in any game in comparison.

It is not the first one, also not the only one, to enable true 4k.

To be fair, there was no other console targeting 4k announced or otherwise when they made the slide.

The Sony fap-athon is already in full swing. I remember the X1 being ridiculed to no end for being slightly inferior to the PS4. Now with the Scorpio people are hailing Sony's Pro because the Scorpio will be only slightly superior. Gaf never fails. Wrap it up folks. Scorpio is dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom