• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] New Scorpio Spec Leak: ESRAM Gone, GPU Features Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zedox

This is what happens when people get feelings involved instead of just waiting for the facts. But these meltdowns are giving lulz.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
So it's just a PS4 Pro but without any exclusives. Good job Microsoft.

I think its better for these machines not have exclusives actually. 3 years is not enough to build up a library all their own and have people feel like they HAVE to upgrade. Xbox S just came out last year, i don't think they would make Xbox as a brand obsolete in that manner.

This is all about a series of devices that play the same software but marginally better. Which will appeal to certain people, Pro has sold a decent amount for what it is

Symbiotx

Ahh yes. People believed PR and thought Scorpio would be the greatest gift to console gaming and would destroy the competition.

Reality is just starting to set in. It was never going to be that good.

ViciousDS

Banned
I think its better for these machines not have exclusives actually. 3 years is not enough to build up a library all their own and have people feel like they HAVE to upgrade. Xbox S just came out last year, i don't think they would make Xbox as a brand obsolete in that manner.

This is all about a series of devices that play the same software but marginally better. Which will appeal to certain people, Pro has sold a decent amount

no, but it is enough to cancel any announcements from 2014 and not make any progress towards building a library

Because they can't get away with dishonest PR spin here?
Because so many of the comments here are dishonest, lies, passive aggressive, spins and just the same.

So why would you want to talk to someone who says "fuck you for doing that" when he is not better or even worse doing the same?

Xbox exec's are very open and active on various Xbox communities like Reddit, twitter and discord.
Just nor here on neogaf.

So is it the xbox one exec's, or neogaf? Obviously the second ;)

Heysoos

Ahh yes. People believed PR and thought Scorpio would be the greatest gift to console gaming and would destroy the competition.

What PR though? This is seemingly exactly what they promised.

I was expecting this but was still holding a sliver of hope for Zen, now hoping that MS makes use of Puma instead of Jaguar and is aggressive with the clocks (~2.6+ GHz).

cakely

Slightly higher being native 4k?

I'm sure you know there are already some native 4K games on the PS4 Pro.

And now there will be some native 4K games on the Xbox One Scorpio.

It's going to be about a 40% difference in power between the HD Pro twins and we've already seen what that looks like. Manage your expectations.

cackhyena

And what PR was misleading? The only people who thought anything different than what PR talked about are dreamers. The rest of us knew what this was.

Inuhanyou

no, but it is enough to cancel any announcements from 2014 and not make any progress towards building a library

If Xbox 1 and Scorpio share the same ecosystem then in effect arent they just adding more games onto the library by definition the more time goes on? Same with 360 BC which also works.

They have 2 generations of games already lined up to a good extent.

Ruh oh, checkerboarding, compromising them pixels,. Tsk tsk tsk

We always knew this. Some games are more demanding, like open world games for instance. No modern console ran all games at the same resolution.

I just want to know how Life of Black Tiger will run.

Leyasu

Banned

What PR? 6tf box that would do 4k? Both will be the reality.

I mt could also be said that people are now breathing a sigh of relief that it ain't some monster that is going to destroy their favourite plastic box.

Sarobi

Banned

This is all about a series of devices that play the same software but marginally better. Which will appeal to certain people, Pro has sold a decent amount

Right. The business model that Sony and Microsoft are focusing on is just to keep you in their ecosystem. You buy their branded gaming box, and you're given (give or take) 6 years of support. A new box comes out every 3 or so years, and it improves on what the prior box was doing. All software transfers over, and you get to play all your games in that resolution/frame rate that you've dreaming of playing them in.

I know people WANT a new generation, but it just doesn't pan out well for the model that both these companies want to continue with at this very moment.

ViciousDS

Banned
If Xbox 1 and Scorpio share the same ecosystem then in effect arent they just adding more games onto the library by definition? Same with 360 BC which also works.

They have 2 generations of games already lined up to a good extent.

it will be interesting to see what happens without ESRAM....because are not all the games designed for XB1 using that pool? Seems like a lot of games would have to be tested or again.....patched

Rembrandt

Banned
it will be interesting to see what happens without ESRAM....because are not all the games designed for XB1 using that pool? Seems like a lot of games would have to be tested or again.....patched

I don't think they would reiterate the idea of XB1 games working on Scorpio if they didn't see it to be feasible.

Inuhanyou

Right. The business model that Sony and Microsoft are focusing on is just to keep you in their ecosystem. You buy their branded gaming box, and you're given (give or take) 6 years of support. A new box comes out every 3 or so years, and it improves on what the prior box was doing. All software transfers over, and you get to play all your games in that that resolution/frame rate that you've dreaming of playing them in.

I know people WANT a new generation, but it just doesn't pan out well for the model that both these companies want to continue with at this very moment.

I keep saying that forwards compatibility as you suggest doesnt have to be the only solution to not 'resetting'. People having to buy a new box eventually resets their level of engagement by default in a big way.

As long as BC is a big priority, it should not matter if the next console is its own platform and can play its own exclusive titles that take advantage of the platform fully as long as the previous one can be supported and the games can cross over via BC

No they aren't. You just have to look at the Pro to see that. It follows the same design language as the PS4 Slim and even uses the same cheap plastic. There's nothing premium about it. It's just a more powerful PS4. Hence why it is only marginally more expensive than the base model. I've never heard Sony refer to it as premium product.

My point is that at the end of the day Scorpio is just an improved version of a 2013 console. Yet the rhetoric coming out of Microsoft and boasts about power: "breaking boundaries, no holding-back" suggest that Scorpio is something else.

If Scorpio is coming out at the end of this year, what kind of lifespan are MS planning for it? By 2020 eyes will be looking towards PS5 while MS will be 2 years into a console that plays games built for a 7 year old platform.

Yeah... I'm not continuing this conversation bud. You can keep that point of view to yourself.

What PR though? This is seemingly exactly what they promised.

I guess people are referring to vague marketing terms like "the most powerful console ever made". Not sure why some on Gaf like to pretend that marketing should be just facts and nothing else.

mcrommert

Banned

This is actually the interesting part...many games will never be patched....how will these games work with no esram? could be a really cool technical explanation

EvB

It's going to be about a 40% difference in power between the HD Pro twins and we've already seen what that looks like. Manage your expectations.

That post was in response to him saying that Scorpio will only manage games at a slightly higher resolution than the Ps4 Pro, but as yous say, there are 4K native games already and lots of different rendering techniques.
I'm expecting the majority of games to be Native 4k, I don't think that is unfeasable if any game is 900/1080 on the standard machine.
The video that everyone is talking about very clearly states that it takes 3.5x the power of an XBox One to run a 1080p game at 4K and the Scorpio is about 4.5x the original Xbox.

But whatever the case, it's going to be a huge step up from the Xbox one, that is all that matters. As has already been proven by the Pro, the checkboard techniques are super impressive. So even if developers choose to use a similar setup, but spend the other power on higher fidelity textures or effects then all is good.

Elios83

For a non tech pc guy, what does this mean exactly.

From - Pre-Reports
To - Current Reports

How much of a downgrade is it?

No downgrade.
It's just that some fans wanted this to be a next gen console without leaving Xbox One behind at the same time.
This was not possible since the beginning. Either you do a next gen console or you do a 'Pro-like' upgrade. Seems like this will be like the Pro but with a more powerful GPU (which will mean more but not all, native 4K titles).
So yeah such fans will have to downgrade their expectations, but the product itself has not changed.
Anyway the lack of esram means that 100% backwards compatibility with old Xbox One games is not guaranteed.

Space_nut

I'm expecting the majority of games to be Native 4k, I don't think that is unfeasable if any game is 900/1080 on the standard machine.
The video that everyone is talking about very clearly states that it takes 3.5x the power of an XBox One to run a 1080p game at 4K and the Scorpio is about 4.5x the original Xbox.

But whatever the case, it's going to be a huge step up from the Xbox one, that is all that matters.

It's going to be amazing

Head.spawn

Why did you ask me if I read their statements, etc in the past 7 months? If the reason that they changed their original plans then that answers your questions. I don't expect a company to reveal anything just to entice people then they come up with a compromised product at the end. True 4K gaming was a major tent pole feature, even it's the first one they show just have a look at the picture in the previous posts above. What I expect is 95% of games would be in native 4K otherwise it's a misleading announcement

Okay, so if we're going by your expectations based on the statement (and we'll ignore where they stated there is no mandatory resolution targets for 3rd party devs, funny how you're picking and choosing which statements count as relevant btw)...

we are left with 0 released games of any resolution for you to be complaining about and for them to have mislead you on and no features changed.

Chris1

Because so many of the comments here are dishonest, lies, passive aggressive, spins and just the same.

So why would you want to talk to someone who says "fuck you for doing that" when he is not better or even worse doing the same?

Xbox exec's are very open and active on various Xbox communities like Reddit, twitter and discord.
Just nor here on neogaf.

So is it the xbox one exec's, or neogaf? Obviously the second ;)

Exactly, the way they are treated (major nelson specifically), it's hard to fault them for not posting here more often. That's not to say they don't get hate on twitter, reddit etc too, I'm sure they do, but it's much worse here.

I don't think they would reiterate the idea of XB1 games working on Scorpio if they didn't see it to be feasible.
Stop it Remb no use for logic here, ignore that they already promised XB1 games working on Scorpio and the fact they're the only company with BC this gen, we're supposed to be worried about backwards compatibility with Scorpio...

Inuhanyou

This is actually the interesting part...many games will never be patched....how will these games work with no esram? could be a really cool technical explanation

A lot of games used the EDRAM to a great extent on 360, but XB1's virtualization mode makes that irrelevant...i would assume its the same here? I dont think it would be an issue

ViciousDS

Banned

well the engineering team did get 360 games running as good if not better. I wouldn't doubt if they already planned for this from the beginning. Isn't ESRAM insanely expensive and harder to implement then traditional GDDR5 and more common VRAM?

mcrommert

Banned
A lot of games used the EDRAM to a great extent on 360, but XB1's virtualization mode makes that irrelevant...i would assume its the same here? I dont think it would be an issue

Talking about esram on xbox 1

well the engineering team did get 360 games running as good if not better. I wouldn't doubt if they already planned for this from the beginning. Isn't ESRAM insanely expensive and harder to implement then traditional GDDR5 and more common VRAM?

Sure...but older xbox 1 games which were setup for esram will need something..will it be virtualization or something else

Pif

Banned
So it seems Sony is not gonna lose the rights to brag about "4K" when Scorpio is gonna be employing similar checkerboaring like upscalling techniques.

That's a blow for MS marketing department.

I'm sure you know there are already some native 4K games on the PS4 Pro.

And now there will be some native 4K games on the Xbox One Scorpio.

The difference in power means the Scorpio:pro is like PS4:One. Native 4k games on Pro will be native 4k on Scorpio with perhaps a few bells and whistles. 1800p games on Pro may be rendered natively at 2160p on a case by case basis.

It's frankly bizarre that all of the "new gen, abandonment of XbONE!" FUD is now being used against MS for paying the same lip service as Sony to 4k TV owners, only better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom