• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry Performance Analysis: Fallout 4

bombshell

Remember Polygons game review policy, they were going to score games differently based on performance? That was why they have scores for different platforms...At launch, they scored Call Of Duty Ghosts on PS4 lower than the Xbox One version because the PS4 had a less stable framerate...

What ever happened to that policy??

It went out the window as soon as they realized the opposite would be a recurring theme this generation.

MMaRsu

Banned
people really need to stop using this argument. MGSV doesnt have half the shit most open world games have. MGSV is bare as fuck compared to witcher and fallout

At least it plays good without framedrops. Like darkx10 said, Konami made the better choice.

jiiikoo

Banned
Glad to hear that the PC performance is good, have my copy pre-loaded and ready to go.

The X1 version, woof...though I suspect there is some sort of bug that is causing this so hopefully Bethesda says something about it soon.

I really hope both the Xbox One and PS4 versions just have a bug that can be patched. I'm just not holding out for Bethesda to say anything in a while. Judging from the other thread, someone posted about the PS4 drops on the Bethesda forum and was permabanned... That's just, I don't have words for that.

d9b

Banned
Another

giphy.gif
How can they launch their game and get away with this shit is beyond me.

Sjefen

That 1 second stutter on xb1 would piss me off, just watching that short framerate test video pissed me off. How can they release the game in that state.....

Feeroper

I had pre-ordered both platforms just in case - thankfully DF came out with this, so I will stick with the PS4 version. I hope the XB1 version gets fixed though for those that pick up that version, or at least that its not that huge of a deal in the grand scheme of things.

Ce-Lin

0 fps "pauses" are certainly immersion-breaking, obviously this bug will be fixed at some point, but what a sad fact the game is being shipped and sold at full price like this... when are gamers going to earn some respect ?

73V3N

Banned
has this been quoted yet

In my opinion, this is yet another example of Microsoft paying off the publishers to provide inferior experiences on PlayStation consoles. The Xbox has sold poorly, and it quickly becoming irrelevant, so Microsoft are resorting to cheap tactics such as having PlayStation versions deliberately gimped in order to stay relevant in the eyes of consumers. Assassin's Creed Unity, The Witcher 3, and Resident Evil Revelations 2 are examples of this awful practice. I'm sure when you play this game on the Xbox One All In One Entertainment System, this game will be 1080p at a locked 30FPS, with mods available from the get go.

lol

jett

D-Member
It makes zero sense that the PS4 would struggle with alpha effects while the Xbone breezes through.

Overall though, it seems Xbox one users are about to get a taste of the Arkham Knight PC experience, although not quite as awful.

Loudninja

It makes zero sense that the PS4 would struggle with alpha effects while the Xbone breezes through.

Overall though, it seems Xbox one users are about to get a taste of the Arkham Knight PC experience, although not quite as awful.
Yeah hoping that will be patch as well.

Seems to be the biggest issue with the PS4 version.

Shin-Ra

Looks like there may be some inconsistency in texture streaming, with PC actually coming off worst in this DF comparison.

Fallout4texstream1.gif

Fallout4texstream2.gif

Curufinwe

Remember Polygons game review policy, they were going to score games differently based on performance? That was why they have scores for different platforms...At launch, they scored Call Of Duty Ghosts on PS4 lower than the Xbox One version because the PS4 had a less stable framerate...

What ever happened to that policy??

They employed a cartoonish fanboy as their reviews editor.

jiiikoo

Banned
How is the PS4 the winner by default?

I think he was talking about a PC. It shouldn't come as a surprise that a good PC will always run games better. Or did I really misread everything...?

Really? Holyshit, wtf is up with that. You are right though, I think performance can be better on both consoles. Not sure how this got pass QA.

Yeah. It was in the OP on the other thread. Not sure if it is real though, hoping it isn't.

I really hope both the Xbox One and PS4 versions just have a bug that can be patched. I'm just not holding out for Bethesda to say anything in a while. Judging from the other thread, someone posted about the PS4 drops on the Bethesda forum and was permabanned... That's just, I don't have words for that.

Really? Holyshit, wtf is up with that. You are right though, I think performance can be better on both consoles. Not sure how this got pass QA.

Has anyone with a leaked/early copy tested it on something similar to an i5 3570?

I won't have any problem with my GPU but I'm worried about CPU performance since the recommended is a 4770...

danowat

Banned
Played about 5 hours. There's some slowdown. Probably around the 25 fps mark, but only had that 0 hitch once. Went back to try to repeat that glitch, but couldn't. Weird.

Are you running an external HDD?

I am convinced there is a stuttering issue on XBO when using an external HDD, and not just on FO4.

Tagyhag

The performance difference it's not what it should be between Xbone and PS4 considering both consoles are running on the same settings. It's obvious this was an Xbone first developed game.

It's an open world game, the GPU isn't the end all be all, PS4 can't even hit locked 30fps.

Highlighting the winner by default is not very interesting.

Lol because the X1 versions win 50% of the time right? That excuse hasn't flied in ages breh.

Boke1879

Between this thread and the review thread. I REALLY can't wait for the NPD thread. What an interesting week on GAF it'll be.

Are you running an external HDD?

I am convinced there is a stuttering issue on XBO when using an external HDD, and not just on FO4.

Yeah. I'm running on an external drive. Though it is a powered drive. not just powered with USB. I think that may make a difference.

lol@ all the people praising the pc 'port' and calling consoles a mess acting like they JUST decided to go for pc after the video.

Hazanko

Banned
Wow looking at the reviews thread and this thread is a striking difference
Another reason to ignore these reviews journalists they know fuckin nothing

Yup. Bad performance does effect gameplay. I shelved TW3 because the performance did fuck up the game despite me actually loving what I played. Reviews seem to ignore this.

SparkTR

Why and how does the PS4 version have better filtering/textures than PC? Must be bugged.

It's either a texture streaming issue and/or the engine is compensating for the 750Tis low VRAM usage. I believe other games have done that, if you have a low enough video RAM the settings would lower regardless of what graphics options you set.

Top Bottom