• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity 3.0 |OT| Episode 3: The Playset Awakens

robotrock

Banned
Not sure yet. Some things are on the disc already, while others may be updated through a patch. Like, we know there will be a playset based on The Force Awakens and figures, but there are no mentions of them in the game at the moment.
Got it. Thank you!

My second question: Are the Star Wars playsets actually just straight up good Star Wars games that are worth playing, or are they super simple? Who developed what? I thought I read Ninja Theory had their hands on one.

Is the Inside Out one good too? Who made that one?

fernoca

Got it. Thank you!

My second question: Are the Star Wars playsets actually just straight up good Star Wars games that are worth playing, or are they super simple? Who developed what? I thought I read Ninja Theory had their hands on one.

Is the Inside Out one good too? Who made that one?
Ninja Theory did Twilight of the Republic. So far, is a good/fun Star Wars game.

Not sure who did Inside Out, it also plays way different. While Twilight of the Republic is a more traditional action/adventure game, Inside Out mix platforming and music, while focus is on collecting things.

Disney Infinity games per se are not deep or hard games, just button mashers on which you navigate through levels and have fun. There are skill trees and a few enemies might take a few hits and tries to beat.

This one at the moment is the most...well done of the Infinity games.

EDIT:
There's only one Star Wars playset at the moment which is Twilight of the Republic based on Clone Wars/Rebels.

Rise of the Empire based on the original trilogy will be released on September 29.

The Force Awakens on December 18.

robotrock

Banned
Ninja Theory did Twilight of the Republic. So far, is a good/fun Star Wars game.

Not sure who did Inside Out, it also plays way different. While Twilight of the Republic is a more traditional action/adventure game, Inside Out mix platforming and music, while focus is on collecting things.

Disney Infinity games per se are not deep or hard games, just button mashers on which you navigate through levels and have fun. There are skill trees and a few enemies might take a few hits and tries to beat.

This one at the moment is the most...well done of the Infinity games.

EDIT:
There's only one Star Wars playset at the moment which is Twilight of the Republic based on Clone Wars/Rebels.

Rise of the Empire based on the original trilogy will be released on September 29.

The Force Awakens on December 18.

Yeah I'm definitely going to grab this this year then. Sounds awesome.

Is the Takeover preorder bonus a receipt code or is the code packaged with the game? Want to pick this up after work today, kinda going back and forth.

OneUh8

Is the Takeover preorder bonus a receipt code or is the code packaged with the game? Want to pick this up after work today, kinda going back and forth.

It is a physical piece you place on the portal.

EDIT: It does come with a web code card. However I am not really sure what they are used for.

Dimorphic

Yes we did. It wasn't a pre-order bonus. It was a PlayStation exclusive bundle at Target.

I was at Target today and they didn't have it. Asked at EB and they had no idea. I'll be annoyed if I go to another Target on the weekend and it's there after I bought the Starter Kit today.

Poona

I was at Target today and they didn't have it. Asked at EB and they had no idea. I'll be annoyed if I go to another Target on the weekend and it's there after I bought the Starter Kit today.

I did see it at a Target store (Doncaster, Victoria) I went to today.

big w may have it as well, but not sure. I know they're doing the ps4 console bundle with Boba Fett ( as shown on front page of their catalogue http://www.bigw.com.au/bigw-catalogues#view=catalogue2&saleId=9752&page=1 )

Glad I ordered this from Best Buy because of GCU and Toybox Takeover (and the $10 cert), but I sure hope they actually ship it at some point. Slow pokes. It's been at 'preparing shipment' since the 28th when I ordered.

Was hoping I could have it for this weekend but it's not looking like that's going to happen.

Not to continue repeating the question, can anyone with the Wii U version confirm that it isn't nerfed like last year? 2.0 had framerate issues and inferior resolution to all other versions.....

DTU

Banned
Glad I ordered this from Best Buy because of GCU and Toybox Takeover (and the $10 cert), but I sure hope they actually ship it at some point. Slow pokes. It's been at 'preparing shipment' since the 28th when I ordered.

Was hoping I could have it for this weekend but it's not looking like that's going to happen.

Just go buy a copy, then return the one you receive later with that receipt.

Sounds good - is it ever coming to digital download or do I have to find this thing in stores too?

FYI, for console players, the ONLY thing you can get digitally is the base game itself (replacing the need for a game disc). Everything else must be purchased physically.

If you play on PC/iOS/Android, then everything is digital. You cannot use physical pieces in those versions.

curb

Banned
Shipping tracking indicates that my Saga bundle will be in today. Looking forward to finally getting my hands on it.

I bought a couple figures yesterday and entered the web codes into the DI site. Yoda entered fine but when I entered my Kanaan code, it told me I unlocked Ezra.

Kas

I just bought 2.0 for $15. Is it worth it yet to jump ship or should I just wait for the inevitable Black Friday deals?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
My kids like Inside Out. I'm not saying it's for everyone, but it's really well done for what they are going for.

Might go buy some more characters after work. I think Yoda and Sadness might be coming home. :p

Lan_97

Amazon pulled though with release date delivery on Sunday. I picked up the saga bundle and Yoda. In retrospect, I should have also grabbed the Tron figures. It's pretty fun so far. Combat is about what it was in 2.0 with some adjustments to the general skill trees for Jedi characters. The world in Twilight of the Republic feels much more alive than any set offered in 1.0 and 2.0. Really looking forward to Toy Box Takeover when that gets here in a day or two.

I'm really liking the Jedi in this game, they pulled them off really well. It's just a shame that the Light FX figures won't be out for a while, and I'm too cheap to double dip to get the vanilla versions of Yoda and Obi-wan now.

Effect

Not to continue repeating the question, can anyone with the Wii U version confirm that it isn't nerfed like last year? 2.0 had framerate issues and inferior resolution to all other versions.....

This. This is what I'm waiting to hear as well. 1.0 was bad I felt and didn't bother at all with 2.0. Star Wars is the driving factor here but I'm only touching this again if the Wii U version is good. Simply not being horrible or okay isn't good enough.

Edit: Also the 1.0 Wii U base should work with this right? Meaning I'd just have to pick up figures and download the game from the eShop?

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Ah crap I didnt realize toybox takeover was a $19.99 Expansion pack. Now I've got to choose between that and the Inside Out play set.

Vanillalite

Wii U is fine IMO, but I didn't mind the 2.0 Wii U version either. In fact I thought it was superior to the extent that the gamepad was light years better than a regular controller for Toybox creation.

If you are super anal about it not performing as good as the Bone or PS4 I would just get the version on that instead.

OneUh8

I'm really liking the Jedi in this game, they pulled them off really well. It's just a shame that the Light FX figures won't be out for a while, and I'm too cheap to double dip to get the vanilla versions of Yoda and Obi-wan now.

I caved and bought Yoda. I probably should not have, but with the Target deal I had to. Going to try and hold out for the others though.

Effect

Wii U is fine IMO, but I didn't mind the 2.0 Wii U version either. In fact I thought it was superior to the extent that the gamepad was light years better than a regular controller for Toybox creation.

If you are super anal about it not performing as good as the Bone or PS4 I would just get the version on that instead.

My problem with 1.0 was that there was a significant delay when you input commands and interacted with the interface. I found that completely and utter unacceptable. Then there was the slowdown and general frame rate issues. I haven't touched the game since that first week of play. I could never find any reports of how 2.0 stacked up on the Wii U so I never bothered with it.

I don't think expecting and demanding an acceptable level of performance is being super anal. I can understand a lower resolution. Issues with how you actually interact with the game? No. I have zero tolerance for that.

Edit: Also the 1.0 Wii U base should work with this right? Meaning I'd just have to pick up figures and download the game from the eShop?

As a general rule of thumb, all portals for Nintendo and Playstation are compatible with each other's systems, regardless of whether it's 1.0, 2.0 or 3.0. You can use a 3.0 portal with prior games, or a 1.0 portal with future games. It's great if you want to reuse a portal for a new release and do a digital upgrade. I'm not buying the physical 3.0 this year, because the software by itself is pretty worthless without the portal and figures, so reselling the disk alone isn't really an option. So, I'm going to buy the 19.99 3.0( not sure if I'm getting Wii U or ps3 version) reuse my Wii U 2.0 portal, and get the Luke/Leia set.

Xbox 360 has its own portal, and Xbox one has its own portal.

I caved and bought Yoda. I probably should not have, but with the Target deal I had to. Going to try and hold out for the others though.

I would have maybe considered that, but I bought the Inside Out characters, Mickey, Minnie, Olaf, and Mulan for my kids. The bill was already big enough as it is without adding a Yoda or Obi-wan I'd be replacing in a few months.

fernoca

It is a physical piece you place on the portal.

EDIT: It does come with a web code card. However I am not really sure what they are used for.
For the PC/mobile versions which are free to play. You just put the code to unlock that in those versions, instead of buying them digitally. Though 3.0 is not out for those yet.
I do, can I use that as a controller?
Yep, for everygame actually. Just start remote play and keep in mind that Player 1 uses the Vita while Player 2 can sign-in with another account or as a guest.
This. This is what I'm waiting to hear as well. 1.0 was bad I felt and didn't bother at all with 2.0. Star Wars is the driving factor here but I'm only touching this again if the Wii U version is good. Simply not being horrible or okay isn't good enough.

If you have a PS4, you can just buy the game digitally too. The base of those 2 platforms can be used on any. PS4 version is the only one I've read to be "normal", though I haven't had any problems on Wii U. Less people with Wii U and no Bobba Fett, makes for less impressions. :p

My problem with 1.0 was that there was a significant delay when you input commands and interacted with the interface. I found that completely and utter unacceptable. Then there was the slowdown and general frame rate issues. I haven't touched the game since that first week of play. I could never find any reports of how 2.0 stacked up on the Wii U so I never bothered with it.

I don't think expecting and demanding an acceptable level of performance is being super anal. I can understand a lower resolution. Issues with how you actually interact with the game? No. I have zero tolerance for that.
No problems here, but as I mentioned earlier I'm not much of a techie guy. I do find the game to look cleaner, but not sure if there was a bump in the resolution or is the same (lower) res. For example, I only noticed the lower-res in previous games after playing the other versions. Posted a few quick screenshots earlier uploaded to imgur, but not sure it's a good barometer. Have more but were posted to Facebook which compress more.

Haven't noticed any lag or frame-rate/slowdown problems yet.

TheGrue

Was out at PAX this weekend and didn't even realize this was coming out until my shipment notification from Amazon came. I had only pre-ordered the big PS4 edition with the extra set and Boba Fett figure as I hadn't had time to pay attention to which figures came out when.

Last night at the airport, I ordered Obi-Wan and Yoda, redeemed my free ToyBox thing (dumb that they didn't just send them out when they shipped my other order) and the Twilight of the Republic discs.

Went to Target and Wal Mart today to get Kanan and Sabine and have to hit GameStop and TRU to get Zeb and Ezra. Then I guess I am done until the end of the month when some of the other Star Wars figures come out.

Elginer

Is the digital upgrade going to be on PSN later today? Also can I still use my 2.0 disk to play my 2.0 playsets once I get the 3.0 digital upgrade?

jwk94

Is the digital upgrade going to be on PSN later today? Also can I still use my 2.0 disk to play my 2.0 playsets once I get the 3.0 digital upgrade?

It's not really a digital upgrade, just the digital version of the game with a discount to $20. But yeah, should be available later today. And yes, you will be able to continue playing your 2.0 play sets with the 2.0 disc.

Elginer

It's not really a digital upgrade, just the digital version of the game with a discount to $20. But yeah, should be available later today. And yes, you will be able to continue playing your 2.0 play sets with the 2.0 disc.

Many thanks

So wait, toy box takeover isn't included with the standard 20$ digital version? How do we procure this.

I have not interest in the new star wars figures or play sets... I just like ethereal toy box stuff and toy box takeover sounds cool...

Lol I swore I would not buy this but the good reviews are making me change my mind.

Vanillalite

I didn't mean to sound too harsh. Sorry if I did.

IMO Wii U version seems fine outside of some initial meh load times.

That being said if you have access to a PS4 or Bone you'll probably get slightly better performance and 1080p vs 720p I'd imagine.

I personally haven't seen any game breaking issues framerate wise on the Wii U so far though. I'll report back after for play time though.

Muppet345

Haven't played DI before but wanna get into 3.0 when the OT stuff drops for Wii U next month, but this shit is complicated. Questions:

1. I want to play Twilight of the Republic with OT characters but don't want the prequel figures clogging up my tiny apartment. Is the only option there to buy the playset piece used? Do I have to play with the prequel characters before I can use the OT ones?

2. I heard Toy Box Takeover has a randomly generated dungeon/level. Does Toy Box creation mode in 3.0 allow you to make levels with those kinds of design variables or are you more limited to static creations in what you can make?

3. How's Rise of the Empire? I haven't read many impressions except that it's more vehicle-focused than Twilight of the Republic, which seems disappointing since so many are praising the new melee combat ...

4. For a Wii U user, what's the cheapest way to get into this stuff? Digital edition, used base, Black Friday figure sales?

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
The figures are so much more detailed this time around! The Inside Out cast are insanely adorable together (plus a Bing Bong figure from the Disney Store playset)

OU3FHlq.jpg

The figures are so much more detailed this time around! The Inside Out cast are insanely adorable together (plus a Bing Bong figure from the Disney Store playset)

Nice, Bing Bong scales really well with the Infinity characters, although I'm hoping we get him someday as an Infinity character anyway.

I got the Inside Out headquarters for my daughter's upcoming birthday when I found it at Target on clearance for $12 (normally $40). The Infinity figures we just bought are close enough in size to work with it as well.

A814575.jpg

Nice, Bing Bong scales really well with the Infinity characters, although I'm hoping we get him someday as an Infinity character anyway.

I got the Inside Out headquarters for my daughter's upcoming birthday when I found it at Target on clearance for $12 (normally $40). The Infinity figures we just bought are close enough in size to work with it as well.

A814575.jpg

Ha! My daughter is playing with my Inside Out Infinity Figures in that play set as we speak. She hates the ones that go with it because they don't stand.

Haven't played DI before but wanna get into 3.0 when the OT stuff drops for Wii U next month, but this shit is complicated. Questions:

1. I want to play Twilight of the Republic with OT characters but don't want the prequel figures clogging up my tiny apartment. Is the only option there to buy the playset piece used? Do I have to play with the prequel characters before I can use the OT ones?

2. I heard Toy Box Takeover has a randomly generated dungeon/level. Does Toy Box creation mode in 3.0 allow you to make levels with those kinds of design variables or are you more limited to static creations in what you can make?

3. How's Rise of the Empire? I haven't read many impressions except that it's more vehicle-focused than Twilight of the Republic, which seems disappointing since so many are praising the new melee combat ...

4. For a Wii U user, what's the cheapest way to get into this stuff? Digital edition, used base, Black Friday figure sales?

1. Yes you'd have to buy the used playset, plus whatever OT characters you wanted. No there is no prerequisite to use the PT figures first.

2. Don't know the answer to that one, sure someone else can answer.

3. Rise of the empire isn't out for a month( outside the ps4 saga edition), that's why you haven't heard much about it yet I imagine. It being more vehicle focused does make sense, considering the PT era has more Jedi it stands to reason that the Twilight campaign would be more melee focused. That said, Luke and Vader are in the OT so it's reasonable to expect a reenactment of their famous saber duels...

4. Yes. There are some promos going on right now (check cheapassgamer.com) where you can get 2 for $20, buy 3/get 1 free type deals. Otherwise, find yourself a cheap base off amazon or ebay( Wii and Playstation bases are interchangeable, xbox 360 and xbox one bases are tied to their respective console). You can get the digital version for $19.99 on PSN or eshop through January 2016 before the price jumps to $29.99

curb

Banned
I just finally finished reading through the OP, The GIF at the end was perfect.

There's an image in the post about the figures left to come. I don't think it's been brought up but there's been some confusion online about the image from SDCC that shows what figures are still coming (one figure per logo). There was a different configuration of that board in the form of an archway at D23 with more logos but the one in the OP from SDCC is the correct one. So for example, there are four more Marvel figures coming.

RetroMG

/sigh Damn. I wanted to get this to play with my wife, (huge Disney and Star Wars nut) but I've invested in the previous games on PC, and apparently the PC version doesn't hit until the end of the month, according to a twitter post I saw.

Neoxon

You need the Prequel characters to play initially, but you can collect Crossover Coins to unlock each of the Rise of the Empire & Rebels characters. Said Prequel characters are based on their Clone Wars incarnations (the best thing to come out of the prequels).

You need the Prequel characters to play initially, but you can collect Crossover Coins to unlock each of the Rise of the Empire & Rebels characters. Said Prequel characters are based on their Clone Wars incarnations (the best thing to come out of the prequels).

Sounds like I was wrong before. So if you get a used playset and the OT characters, you can't play through the campaign without the PT figures and/or the crossover coins?

Neoxon

Sounds like I was wrong before. So if you get a used playset and the OT characters, you can't play through the campaign without the PT figures and/or the crossover coins?
Not until you get the Crossover Coin for that character. For example, if you want to use Ezra for your playthrough, you have to find his Crossover Coin first.

Top Bottom