• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity 3.0 |OT| Episode 3: The Playset Awakens

curb

Banned
No shipping notice yet from Amazon Canada. They have my order estimated as coming late next week or the week after but I think they do have the release date as today.

No shipping notice yet from Amazon Canada. They have my order estimated as coming late next week or the week after but I think they do have the release date as today.
Hopefully they didn't under ship. I couldn't change Ant-Man to pick-up despite my store showing available for pick-up so I just canceled it and re-ordered it.

curb

Banned
Hopefully they didn't under ship. I couldn't change Ant-Man to pick-up despite my store showing available for pick-up so I just canceled it and re-ordered it.

By the time I got to the office I got my shipping notice for the playset itself. Figures are coming separately so hopefully stock will be fine.

Malyse

So this
91DAM9SKe3L._SL1500_.jpg
costing $30 is bull and Disney 100% deserved the backlash for it costing the same as the other play sets with one less figure. I've noticed that a lot of sites selling it has it "on sale" for 19.99. Amazon? ToysRUs? Best Buy? Even Gamestop has it for 24.99 (they usually charge 34.99). The only exceptions are Target and Walmart. I'm curious if Disney "encouraged" a lower price point for it.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Yeah, would have been nice if it came with a new, movie-based Iron Man sculpt. The old IM sculpt/paint looks like garbage next to spiffy new Steve, and it's a gobsmackingly obvious pairing to sell for Civil War synergy.

Still, I got it for $16 @ Best Buy with a free Hawkeye, so maybe it's good it turned out to be a hard sell.

curb

Banned
Yeah, would have been nice if it came with a new, movie-based Iron Man sculpt. The old IM sculpt/paint looks like garbage next to spiffy new Steve, and it's a gobsmackingly obvious pairing to sell for Civil War synergy.

Still, I got it for $16 @ Best Buy with a free Hawkeye, so maybe it's good it turned out to be a hard sell.

Give them time. Bringing out a redone Cap just makes me think Marvel will continue to promote/recycle their movie characters.

The 2.0 Marvel figures look mostly bad compared to the 3.0. My 2.0 Iron Man is next to my Hulkbuster in my DI drawer and and the difference in quality is ridiculous.

curb

Banned
Hmm. No movement on my Amazon Canada order but the listing for the individual figures show out of stock. Fingers crossed.

curb

Banned
I nabbed two Boba Fetts at Walmart today! One to use and one to sell on eBay in 2049! ;-)

I really should kept mine sealed from the Saga Bundle and sold it when the prices were good. I never use him and I don't even really like the character. Missed opportunity.

curb

Banned
I guess with a new Indiana Jones movie officially coming in 2019 then we'll finally get an Indy DI figure. You know, if DI is still around in three years.

RobbieNick

Y'know, Best Buy has the set for $19.99 this week. That's a savings of $15.00

Any impressions from the new playsets? Especially for a solo player.

A surprisingly decent amount of single player content. EDIT (Not really.) Not only do you get story mode, but a challenge mode that let's you unlock toy box items and alternate costumes (you can play as black suit Spider-Man without owning the figure in VS. mode if you beat Spidey's challenge). You can also spread your XP gained across any characters you have. Also, vs. mode can be done single player ALA Smash bros.

It's a lot of fun and feels like a spiritual sequel to Power Stone. This may be my favorite Toy Box of 3.0 so far.

THINGS of NOTE: You can play vs. mode without any figures on the base if you've scanned them in. Your power discs from 2.0 and 3,0 (Marvel only) can be stacked up to 3 high on the base giving you 6 power discs on the field that come in randomly.

RobbieNick

I traded stuff in for these figures so I didn't have to pay anything

Ah. I do that sometimes.

Sadly, it looks like the story mode may be kinda short. It's just a story going through the 8 stages of the game. There are 28 challenge stages and using certain figures on them gives you cool bonuses.

Gotta say, this still has more single player content than Street Fighter V (currently).

GUH! The whole story mode takes 30-45 minutes to complete. Forget what I said about plenty of single player content.

If you exit out of versus mode, you have to touch all of your figure to the portal again if you want to have all the characters playable again! That sucks.

No online multiplayer sadly. However, if you've got 3 extra friends, this is one of the best local multiplayer fighters since Smash Bros. You can set and configure the rules to versus mode including time limit, scoring, lives and health. In multiplayer, the game really does feel like a mix of Smash and Power Stone. Some of the unlockable suits are pretty awesome, like movie Falcon. I gotta say, having Black Suit Spider-Man as a unlockable costume for regular Spider-Man makes me wonder what's the point of buying the Black Suit SM (outside of Toy Box)?

The game is pretty generous with giving you trial coins and free playable characters of the week. So if you don't have a certain figure like Ant-Man, you can still play as him for awhile.

Overall, while the story mode is VERY short, there's 28 challenges and versus mode to add to the fun and for the $16 it cost me, (Best Buy sale and GCU card), it was well worth it.

With the way he story ends makes me wonder if dlc is coming later as an add on story. I love this set a ton. Great to finally be able to use all my marvel guys.

curb

Banned
Now we can play as Aunt May!

Seriously I have no faith unless they connect it with the Avengers show if Wasp/Cap Marvel get involved or they finally add Wanda.

Yeah, I'm waiting to see what actually comes of this. Watching what Marvel promotes a lot on places like Twitter, I feel like Captain Marvel, Ms Marvel, Wasp, Lady Thor and Scarlet Witch should be given (eventually) but who knows. I wouldn't be surprised if the next round will still be mostly male Marvel figures with one female.

curb

Banned
As mentioned I caved and bought Battlegrounds. Single player story content clocked in around a half hour. If SP is what you're after, I'd skip this or wait for a great sale.

Mugiwara

Neo Member
Been playing Battlegrounds a fair bit since yesterday.

I thought the story mode was pretty weak. I understand it's an arena brawler so gameplay variety might've been hard to come up with but I just thought that for a playset that has access to 28 characters, to basically only feature like 10 of them in cutscenes was lame. Also, I was shocked when I finished the last battle and the teaser came up. The story mode was way shorter than I was expecting.

I've only done 1/3 of the challenges but they seem okay. Might've been cool if they'd thrown in some objectives, like finishing a fight using a ranged attacked or setting off a trap. The Versus mode features different game styles like last man standing, score objectives, or king of the hill. Might've been nice to have some of those in the challenge mode. I haven't played all the challenges so maybe they are in there.

I know for balance reasons your skills in Toy Box mode don't apply but I thought it was weird to have the experience bank to level up your characters even though it doesn't make a difference in the gameplay. Probably didn't need the experience bank at all, but I guess their thinking was to be able to choose which characters you want to defer the experience sparks to.

Lack of online multiplayer is the biggest negative. I know in interviews they said they wanted to promote local multiplayer but honestly, I just think they were lazy. By not having online multi, they are severely limiting the replayability of the Versus mode. Like for me, I'm playing on PS4...there's no way I'm going to have 4 PS4 controllers just for one game. That's insane.

It would've been nice had they built in a simple build-your-own-arena mode, but again, probably more work than it's worth to them.

So if you're thinking of getting this for single-player only....be warned it's short and replayability is an issue. I suppose I'd only recommend it if you have a large collection of the Marvel figures, since the story/challenge mode only works with figures you own.

Johnny v said there is more content and characters coming to battlegrounds this year. I love this set and can't wait!
Black panther is so awesome in this. Currently working on ant man and he has four super jumps. Dude is a blast to play.

RobbieNick

Johnny v said there is more content and characters coming to battlegrounds this year. I love this set and can't wait!
Black panther is so awesome in this. Currently working on ant man and he has four super jumps. Dude is a blast to play.

Online play would really save this game for me. Also more challenges. As a local 4-player fighting game, it's a friggin' blast.

fernoca

Y'know, Best Buy has the set for $19.99 this week. That's a savings of $15.00
Though the $34.99 was a mistake since it was the original list price. The actual price in Gamestop is $24.99 which is $5 more than the regular price of $19.99 across Toys R Us, Best Buy and Amazon ($16 with GCU and Prime). Though they always charge a bit more in this "games" for space reasons.

Online play would really save this game for me. Also more challenges. As a local 4-player fighting game, it's a friggin' blast.
Yeah me and my 7 year have been having a blast playing together. I'm really glad I can enjoy this game with her

Though the $34.99 was a mistake since it was the original list price. The actual price in Gamestop is $24.99 which is $5 more than the regular price of $19.99 across Toys R Us, Best Buy and Amazon ($16 with GCU and Prime). Though they always charge a bit more in this "games" for space reasons.
Yeah I used the 10.00 refund to get the power disc.

RobbieNick

I saw the power discs pack today and was a little miffed at the Ghost Rider bike since that was already a power disc in 2.0.

Or am I thinking of his chain?

Oh, that's cool. I set my expectations low, told my friends it's a crummy Powerstone knock-off but we still had fun with it. For $20 the story is short but fun, the challenges can get you some extra outfits (some like Falcon look very different) and the arena fighting isn't bad. Letting you try out characters you don't own is cool, I'm missing 3 and waiting until next week to get the new wave on sale.

I saw the power discs pack today and was a little miffed at the Ghost Rider bike since that was already a power disc in 2.0.

Or am I thinking of his chain?
Not sure I haven't tried the disc yet myself
Oh, that's cool. I set my expectations low, told my friends it's a crummy Powerstone knock-off but we still had fun with it. For $20 the story is short but fun, the challenges can get you some extra outfits (some like Falcon look very different) and the arena fighting isn't bad. Letting you try out characters you don't own is cool, I'm missing 3 and waiting until next week to get the new wave on sale.

Yeah the alt costumes were an awesome feature. Hope more characters get some. Eventually I want to remake the captain America and avengers arcade game in the toy box. I just need to learn how to place enemies and a bunch of other things so it plays like an actual game.

curb

Banned
I put in some time playing the challenges last night. It's not bad. The core gameplay is pretty good and that's coming from someone who doesn't enjoy Power Stone/Smash Bros type brawling stuff. I can see how it would be a lot of fun with four people but that's not a situation I'm ever in.

Also, seeing new animations for the Captain Marvel power disc just makes me all the more depressed that there's no figure for her
yet

curb

Banned
They need someone to come in and polish he gameplay on these things outside of the Star Wars set...badly

I do find it very jarring going from one of the Star Wars characters to a non-SW character. The lightsaber combat is actually pretty good but the rest is rather mediocre.

Mugiwara

Neo Member
I do find it very jarring going from one of the Star Wars characters to a non-SW character. The lightsaber combat is actually pretty good but the rest is rather mediocre.

I wish they'd go back and update movesets for all the 1.0 and 2.0 characters. Combat with the 3.0 characters is so much better.

Getting back into this now that I can pick up new Marvel stuff. Great news that more female Marvel figures are coming, I'm sure we'll get Captain Marvel and Wasp but I'm holding out hope for Kamala Khan (Ms Marvel) and Spider-Gwen. Jane Foster Thor would be cool too.

How long is the singleplayer in Battlegrounds? And there's no online play?

Also I've got it on Xbox One now instead of 360 so anyone who might want to do some stuff can shoot me a friend request at Kelp Plankton

curb

Banned
Getting back into this now that I can pick up new Marvel stuff. Great news that more female Marvel figures are coming, I'm sure we'll get Captain Marvel and Wasp but I'm holding out hope for Kamala Khan (Ms Marvel) and Spider-Gwen. Jane Foster Thor would be cool too.

How long is the singleplayer in Battlegrounds? And there's no online play?

Also I've got it on Xbox One now instead of 360 so anyone who might want to do some stuff can shoot me a friend request at Kelp Plankton

I'm going to be really surprised if we see more than one new female Marvel figure during the rest of 3.0. Call my cynical but I just can't help but doubt Marvel's commitment.

SP story in Battlegrounds is 30-45 minutes. The challenges will probably add another couple hours. No online play.

That's kind of short, but the Playset + cap is only about $16 with the sale price and GCU discount stacked so I can't complain too much.

The real expensive part is getting more controllers so I can do 4 player stuff. Only got 2 so far. But not in a rush there.

Thanks for the quick response!

Malyse

The more I think about it, the more I'm disappointed that Battlegrounds is the Marvel playset for 3.0. I was so happy with the format of the Star Wars playsets and to then do what is really a multiplayer focused game for Marvel just isn't my jam.

I also think that Battlegrounds should have been a Toy Box game like Speedway or Takeover where any DI characters could go against each other.
Why are you assuming that's the only Marvel playset in 3.0, particularly when JV said there was more coming in 3.0 for all four brands?

curb

Banned
Why are you assuming that's the only Marvel playset in 3.0, particularly when JV said there was more coming in 3.0 for all four brands?

I'm pretty sure that Battlegrounds is the only Marvel playset for 3.0. I can't remember the source but I'm sure someone can back me up on this if I'm not wrong.

Top Bottom