• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity 3.0 | Review Thread

MattyG

Banned
The 2.0 characters are forward compatible with 3.0. The 2.0 playsets are NOT forward or backward compatible. So as a basic rule, playsets are restricted to whatever version of the game they launch with (1.0, 2.0, 3.0), basically requiring you to buy the base game every year. The only marvel set for this year's 3.0 is the Hulkbuster/Ultron Age of Ultron set mentioned above.
Ah okay, that makes things easier to understand.

I just looked on amazon and they have 2.0 starter packs for about $30. I think I'm going to grab one of those.

Effect

Any word on differences between the various console versions? Is the Wii U version gonna be nerfed again on resolution?
This is why I'd like to know. I need to know the resolution and the frame rate before I even attempt to put money down on this again.

The Take Over minigame was supposed to come out at launch, but they delayed to October, causing a lot of problems to retailers/orders cause it was offered as a pre order bonus.

Kind of dumb since The software is already on the disc.

My base game did actually ship independent of the preorder bonus, so I'm glad for that. Need to decide whether or not I want to pick up the Inside Out stuff right away or not, though.

Best Buy will have a Buy 3, Get 1 Free sale starting Sunday, and Target will have a 2 figures for $20 sale. If you have a paid Gamer's Club Unlocked membership at Best Buy with its 20% discount, you can get the Inside Out playset, Sadness, Disgust, plus another figure (Mulan is a Best Buy limited time exclusive) for a little over $50 plus tax.

I think the only things I'm not getting on Sunday are the Power Disc Packs and the retailer exclusive characters from Amazon (Fear), Gamestop (Zeb), Toys R Us (Ezra), and Walmart (Kanan). I'll wait until those hit wide release and go on sale.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The Take Over minigame was supposed to come out at launch, but they delayed to October, causing a lot of problems to retailers/orders cause it was offered as a pre order bonus.

WTF

So are we fucked on getting this free now?

Best Buy will have a Buy 3, Get 1 Free sale starting Sunday, and Target will have a 2 figures for $10 sale. If you have a paid Gamer's Club Unlocked membership at Best Buy with its 20% discount, you can get the Inside Out playset, Sadness, Disgust, plus another figure (Mulan is a Best Buy limited time exclusive) for a little over $50 plus tax.

I think the only things I'm not getting on Sunday are the Power Disc Packs and the retailer exclusive characters from Amazon (Fear), Gamestop (Zeb), Toys R Us (Ezra), and Walmart (Kanan). I'll wait until those hit wide release and go on sale.

Probably a dumb question, but this is $10 per figure, correct? So $20 for two?

My PS4 version of the starter pack(At best buy.com) is preparing for shipment, but the toy box pre order bonus says its backordered is that the same for everyone else here

Ah okay, that makes things easier to understand.

I just looked on amazon and they have 2.0 starter packs for about $30. I think I'm going to grab one of those.

If you can hold off a bit, its possible the 2.0 digital versions will be heavily discounted( not sure about ps360, but 1.0 was made free on Wii U when 2.0 launched). If that's the case, you'd only need to pick up whichever 2.0 playset(s) you wanted which are routinely $20 or less. I'm going digital software-wise this year because the actual base game really has little value, it's only a gateway for all the various characters included in sets or individually purchased.

This is why I'd like to know. I need to know the resolution and the frame rate before I even attempt to put money down on this again.

Which version are you looking at? I don't have any of the current gen consoles so my options are ps3 and wii U. I have a 360, but would need to purchase a separate portal since MS console portals are specific to their consoles. I'm handpicking what I'm buying with 3.0 this year, no starter set for me.

fernoca

Seems like a slightly better version of the previous one. Grabbing this digitally on Wii U gor $20 and play with what I have for the moment.

Effect

Which version are you looking at? I don't have any of the current gen consoles so my options are ps3 and wii U. I have a 360, but would need to purchase a separate portal since MS console portals are specific to their consoles. I'm handpicking what I'm buying with 3.0 this year, no starter set for me.

The Wii U version. I had the first Disney Infinity but quickly put it away because the frame rate was so bad and the interface was unacceptably slow and that was ultimately the thing that was a deal breaker for me. Frame rate you can deal with. Long delays in inputs in the ToyBox are completely unacceptable. It's why I didn't bother with 2.0 when I heard the Wii U's resolution was less then the others and I couldn't find any information or word on what the frame rate was like either. So I assumed it wasn't that much better from 1.0.

MattyG

Banned
The light up lightsaber figures won't be available at launch, will they? I was going to buy a bunch of figures, but I'm going to hold off lightsaber holding figures if that's the case.

If you can hold off a bit, its possible the 2.0 digital versions will be heavily discounted( not sure about ps360, but 1.0 was made free on Wii U when 2.0 launched). If that's the case, you'd only need to pick up whichever 2.0 playset(s) you wanted which are routinely $20 or less. I'm going digital software-wise this year because the actual base game really has little value, it's only a gateway for all the various characters included in sets or individually purchased.
Oh yeah, I may do that then. I'm not as invested in Marvel as I am Star Wars.

fernoca

is Infinity 3.0 nust SW? i always wanted to jump in but i hate Star Wars.
Nope. Like the previous one the game per se is the Toy Box, were you create or play random levels.

When you put a playset on the base, you can play games/missions around the themed playset.

1.0: Toy Story, Monsters University, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Incredibles, Lone Ranger, Cars

2.0: The Avengers, Ultimate Spider-Man, Guardians of the Galaxy

3.0: Star Wars, Clone Wars, Inside Out, The Avengers (new one)

You need a base to play in either case and the specific game to play the playset (can't play Toy Story in 2.0 or 3.0 for example).

curb

Banned
The light up lightsaber figures won't be available at launch, will they? I was going to buy a bunch of figures, but I'm going to hold off lightsaber holding figures if that's the case.

I'm still bummed that they're not doing a light up Ahsoka.

No word on launch date, though I've read they're gonna be a little more expensive. The hard part is going to be resisting the temptation to buy the non-lit up characters when you know a special version is coming down the line. I don't need all the Jedi characters lit up, except Vader. For me, he's a must...otherwise this is enough of a money-sink and I definitely don't intend to double-dip.

Its listing was removed from all major US stores sites, but you can fins The new date on international retailers:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ZRTB8CS/

For all we know, that just means that you can preorder to get it now, but if you don't, it won't go on sale to the public until October 23rd. There are zero sources of information regarding a delay of Toy Box Takeover, and several review outlets actually mentioned playing it in their reviews. There's no way it is delayed.

No, and we don't know when the light up versions will be available, other than supposedly in the fall.

I have no source but I'm fairly positive I read that they'd only be a dollar more than the regular figures.

It looks like they settled on just $1 more.

https://twitter.com/JohnVignocchi/status/636178522873028609

I have no source but I'm fairly positive I read that they'd only be a dollar more than the regular figures.

Oh, not bad at all if that's the case. Also, just read in that tweet that they couldn't get Maul's saber to light on both ends. Too bad...

Shit, I don't want to get two sets. Gonna have to wait for the light fx versions.

Yeah, it kinda sucks. Plus, for the figures you can't avoid, like the Anakin that comes in the starter set, I'm probably going to avoid using him much, cause I don't want to level up the one without the Light FX.

Grimsen

Yeah, it kinda sucks. Plus, for the figures you can't avoid, like the Anakin that comes in the starter set, I'm probably going to avoid using him much, cause I don't want to level up the one without the Light FX.

If the digital release is really 20$ next week, I'll buy that and just wait for Solo and Chewie.

Yep, same with Luke in the OT set. Clearly they're seeing the special light-up characters as a means to get people double-dipping, which is too bad for us. This is Star Wars, they're going to make a killing on the figures no matter now you slice it.

Hex

Banned
I picked it up at Amazon since it also has an Inside out bonus and a Fear figure
Edit: Ah no it doesn't, I read that wrong.

OneUh8

So this is what is going on? Wish they were more clear on this. At least the retailers need to update their site because part of the reason I pre ordered was to get that. Will it still be honored?

Yep, same with Luke in the OT set. Clearly they're seeing the special light-up characters as a means to get people double-dipping, which is too bad for us. This is Star Wars, they're going to make a killing on the figures no matter now you slice it.

True, but if they really wanted those double-dipping-dollars, they wouldn't have bothered to disclose the existence of the Light FX figures before the game released. I'm sure a fair number of people are holding off on Yoda and Obi-wan because they know the Light FX versions are coming.

OneUh8

Well that is a bummer. Now it makes me not to want to buy any figure that might get this update

Nope. Like the previous one the game per se is the Toy Box, were you create or play random levels.

When you put a playset on the base, you can play games/missions around the themed playset.

1.0: Toy Story, Monsters University, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Incredibles, Lone Ranger, Cars

2.0: The Avengers, Ultimate Spider-Man, Guardians of the Galaxy

3.0: Star Wars, Clone Wars, Inside Out, The Avengers (new one)

You need a base to play in either case and the specific game to play the playset (can't play Toy Story in 2.0 or 3.0 for example).

thanks. so what's the best thing to buy if i want to have/play with the Inside Out figurines but absolutely no SW ones.

Hex

Banned
So I have peeked through and am still a bit unclear.
Which older disks work with 3.0?
I wanted to pick up some of the Jack Skellington stuff and maybe some Avengers stuff

atr0cious

So can you only experience the combat upgrades in the new play sets, or is it a software upgrade and like the incredibles have better moves?

Top Bottom