• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity Canceled; Disney Exits Console Publishing; Avalanche Shut [Statement]

botty

Banned
Yeah, 300 people are about to lose their livelihood but I guess to you, it's time to make a joke or whatever.

Terrible response, dude.

What a shit post . 300 people lost their jobs

I'd be more upset with the mismanagement and choices done by the people controlling Disney Infinity. What could have been a successful venture in everything disney, turned into a soulless cash grab...or at least tried to be a cash grab. To think... if they had made this game good, and focused less on selling toys... those 300 people might still have jobs.

The Orz

That's really disappointing--I thought the figures were rad, especially the latest batch. Of the big three, Infinity definitely had the highest quality sculpts and production value. Can't say the same about the games. They just seemed boring and, oddly enough, uninspired. Maybe the fun was in the Toy Box mode.

I was hoping they'd eventually make a Wall-E figure...

SpotAnime

I second this question, anybody in the know can tell us if there were upcoming packs?

Yep, they are still releasing the previously announced Alice Through The Looking Glass and Finding Dory sets. The Peter Pan Artists Choice figure has been cancelled, apparently.

Those two sets are the last releases for Infinity.

Jmille99

Sad news and best of luck to those at Avalanche looking for work.

I wasnt a huge fan of DI, but I thought the figures were great and my 3 year old enjoyed running around in the game.

PSqueak

Banned
Ya you're right actually, their strategy is a little different than Disney Infinity or even Lego Dimensions. Rather than have the figures only playable in one game (or one game series), they are playable across most of their games.

Sad news, I'm guessing the servers with all the downloadable levels will soon go too, my kids enjoyed that part most.

Frankly, everything was stacked against disney: Skylanders is the original toys to live one so they got their foot in the business, Nintendo is mother fucking nintendo, plus the multiple games thing, Lego Dimensions stuff is compatible with regular lego sets.

One would think Disney could have worked out just with brand power, but i guess they were to expensive. Quite a shame, i really enjoyed the marvel stuff.

Yep, they are still releasing the previously announced Alice Through The Looking Glass and Finding Dory sets. The Peter Pan Artists Choice figure has been cancelled, apparently.

Those two sets are the last releases for Infinity.

Zootopia didn't get a campaign, yet they get Alice one? Because we know how well the last johnny depp movie set worked out sooooo well.

Im guessing then there won't be a Thanos figure then? Shucks, that tease hurts.

Lego Dimensions stuff is compatible with regular lego sets.

I never bought into Lego Dimensions because I'm not a fucking millionaire, but do they have anything that separates them from regular legos so I dont just lose them in a toy chest full of 'em like 10 years later?

That explains about removing PC support earlier. Wow, always thought it was doing well.

Oh shit, need to buy some Zootopia figures then!

I'd be more upset with the mismanagement and choices done by the people controlling Disney Infinity. What could have been a successful venture in everything disney, turned into a soulless cash grab...or at least tried to be a cash grab. To think... if they had made this game good, and focused less on selling toys... those 300 people might still have jobs.

A game that "focused less on selling toys" probably wouldn't have been made at all, not by Disney Interactive.

PSqueak

Banned
I never bought into Lego Dimensions because I'm not a fucking millionaire, but do they have anything that separates them from regular legos so I dont just lose them in a toy chest full of 'em like 10 years later?

As i understand, the part that interacts with the game is the base, you can de-attach characters from the base to use with your regular legos, as long as you keep the base safe, you can still use the game.

At least the final releases will have another figure based on Johnny Depp portrayals.

disneyinfinity-blog630-jpg_180556.jpg

latest

There being no Mace Windu figure is a tragedy.

The first Disney Infinity was the best one. The second was really disappointing, but the third was a pretty good return to form.

With the first, they gave you three good play sets in the Starter Set. That was good value. They were more fun, too.

Toybox mode never did much for me, and I never bought additional figures or play sets, but I did play through all the starter packs. I also tried the Inside Out and kart racing elsewhere, and was impressed.

I'm shocked by this, given how they did Disney Infinity NEXT just...what...two months ago?

SpotAnime

Frankly, everything was stacked against disney: Skylanders is the original toys to live one so they got their foot in the business, Nintendo is mother fucking nintendo, plus the multiple games thing, Lego Dimensions stuff is compatible with regular lego sets.

One would think Disney could have worked out just with brand power, but i guess they were to expensive. Quite a shame, i really enjoyed the marvel stuff.

I think it has less to do with how it was selling and more to do with overall state of Disney. Although very healthy, they missed earnings, so I speculate they needed a sacrificial lamb to appease investors. Infinity was selling okay but was not part of its core business, so they probably cut it to emphasize on strengthening its core (cable, theme parks).

Zootopia didn't get a campaign, yet they get Alice one? Because we know how well the last johnny depp movie set worked out sooooo well.

Im guessing then there won't be a Thanos figure then? Shucks, that tease hurts.

They didn't have a Frozen set, either. They showed back then they weren't going to risk an investment on an unproven property like that, when they could double-down on sets based on established properties. They were probably hopeful that Zootopia would be a success, but because it's a new property there were no guarantees.

As i understand, the part that interacts with the game is the base, you can de-attach characters from the base to use with your regular legos, as long as you keep the base safe, you can still use the game.

Wait, so what would differentiate a Lego Dimensions batman lego figure from the regular batman lego figure. I can just put either of them on the portal?

RaidenXZ

Since some were talking about a possible MvC 4 in the future, I think I would be sad about MvC 4 coming out knowing there probably won't be any of the Xmen and other Fox properties in the game. Thats like a huge part of the roster :(

oti

Banned
The first Disney Infinity was the best one. The second was really disappointing, but the third was a pretty good return to form.

With the first, they gave you three good play sets in the Starter Set. That was good value. They were more fun, too.

Toybox mode never did much for me, and I never bought additional figures or play sets, but I did play through all the starter packs. I also tried the Inside Out and kart racing elsewhere, and was impressed.

I'm shocked by this, given how they did Disney Infinity NEXT just...what...two months ago?

Calling The Incredibles and Monster University or whatever "good play sets" is really reaching it. Pirates of the Carribean was good. The rest was bad.

prag16

Banned
Well the Disney Infinity twitter says there was to be a new Star Wars playset. Actually it was the last thing confirmed before this ending was announced:

https://twitter.com/DisneyInfinity/status/730093109367996417?s=09

Sad it seems we'll never get to see that and what else was coming apart from Alice and Dory.
Huh... that tweet is from today. Is this an extreme case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing? Or will this alleged Star Wars set be the swan song for the franchise?

Neoxon

Since some were talking about a possible MvC 4 in the future, I think I would be sad about MvC 4 coming out knowing there probably won't be any of the Xmen and other Fox properties in the game. Thats like a huge part of the roster :(
It would be unfortunate, but the Fox characters don't make up as much of the Marvel side in UMvC3 as they did in previous games.

BlackHeron

Neo Member
And, I remind you.
Disney failed as publisher with a roster made of Marvel, Pixar, Star Wars, and more goodness.
That is incompetence on the executive side.
Really sucks for the talent team at Avalanche. Hopefully everything goes well for them.

Huh... that tweet is from today. Is this an extreme case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing? Or will this alleged Star Wars set be the swan song for the franchise?

I believe the Alice figures and Finding Dory playset are all that we'll get now. Star Wars is too far out. Manufacturing won't have started on those figures.

I wonder how long they knew about this. When they stopped releasing the DLC on Steam did they know they were only going to be releasing a few more figures anyways? I also wonder if we won't be seeing Shadows of the Empire on Steam now.

I don't think you have anything to worry about here as MvC4 isn't going to happen anyway.

Yeah, if only things were that simple...You know, normally I stay really quiet on the gaming side of things but not on this one.

As someone that knows exactly what I am talking about, sometimes decisions are made above your pay grade. All you as a dev can do is work your hardest and turn in the best game you can.

When a studio gets shuttered, it's a sad thing. People have lives, families, kids, etc. They didn't make the high level decisions that resulted in that studio getting closed. They likely busted their asses, crunched crazy long hours in the effort to complete games. So yeah, when I see people that have probably never worked in this industry, making light of it by saying things like "Iwata *laughs* or "Amiibo won" it tells me they don't directly know anyone that has been affected in that way.

There is zero funny about what happened to the people at Avalanche or any studio that gets shut down.

GAH!!!! Just got the base game for my son on the PSN sale yesterday! Time to pick up some playsets, I guess.

Yeah, I recently started picking up some sets in an effort to bridge my 4-year-old's interests over to video games. The 3D movement is too complicated for him, but it's a bit of a bummer that the series isn't going to stick around as he gets older.

Pretty shocked and bummed. Can't imagine it's losing money at this point but probably a we can see the trend decline so let's hop off.

1.0 was charming but heavily lacking, 2.0 was where the game should have been at initial release and 3.0 is where things got good, especially for the Toybox.

RexNovis

Banned
Poor John Vignocchi. While I expected to see publishers start dropping out of the Toys To Life market I was not expecting Disney to be the first to do so. Also sad to see that they are shutting down all in house development. I only hope that they are wise with their IP licensing going forward. They have a lot of IP that could translate incredibly well given the right talent.

prag16

Banned
I believe the Alice figures and Finding Dory playset are all that we'll get now. Star Wars is too far out. Manufacturing won't have started on those figures.

If that's the case, that's absolutely mind boggling they could tweet something like that out THE VERY SAME DAY the entire project gets canned. This must have come as a huge shock to A LOT of people even within Disney.

Like somebody above said, as long as my son's existing figures don't disappear or stop working with the existing game, we'll get over it. But still sad to see.

curb

Banned
Like somebody above said, as long as my son's existing figures don't disappear or stop working with the existing game, we'll get over it. But still sad to see.

If they'll be patching in the Dory content, hopefully they can remove the online hooks to ensure the game still works once the servers are gone.

L Thammy

Probably stated earlier in the thread, but how was Disney Infinity doing? I thought toys to life as a whole was doing well.

The DI series had so much potential and it was pretty much completely wasted with the restrictions. The games could have been so much better. How sad. Best of luck to everyone losing their jobs.

Top Bottom