• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity Canceled; Disney Exits Console Publishing; Avalanche Shut [Statement]

curb

Banned
Probably stated earlier in the thread, but how was Disney Infinity doing? I thought toys to life as a whole was doing well.

I've seen people post that it was probably doing okay but not good enough for what Disney wanted it to make.

Probably stated earlier in the thread, but how was Disney Infinity doing? I thought toys to life as a whole was doing well.

Things haven't been going too well for any of the toys to life brands

It's been a rough stretch for the toys-to-life genre. Skylanders and Disney Infinity both posted disappointing sales last holiday season, which no doubt contributed to Activision Blizzard's decision to lay off some associated developers and Disney's decision to forego a new iteration in the previously annualized Infinity series.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-04-20-toys-to-lifes-problem-isnt-saturation-its-fatigue

Huh... that tweet is from today. Is this an extreme case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing? Or will this alleged Star Wars set be the swan song for the franchise?

If you're going to make a major announcement like that as part of an earnings call, telling employees like social media teams beforehand generally wouldn't be done. Not saying that's what happened here, but controlling the messaging is a big part of earnings calls.

demigod

I could've swore i read a rumor it was doing bad and they were going to stop with number 3 last month on gaf.

It's probably been mentioned, but the free Cartwheel app gets you 75% OFF all Disney Infinity 1.0 and 2.0 figures at Target. Plus they price match Amazon and the coupon stacks on top of that.

bluehat9

With the walls of figures I sae everywhere I couldn't tell if it was doing well or poor. Guess now I know.

Sorry, Avalanche.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Figures that Disney Infinity starts with Pixar Franchises and Johnny Depp (Monsters/Incredibles, Pirates) and ends with a Pixar Franchise and Johnny Depp (Dory, Alice)

Ridley327

VR demos are going to be a disaster unless retail stores get an employee to watch the station at all times. I just don't see it happening.

Back on topic, I had to get my Judy Hopps and Nick from Zootopia figures tonight.

They're already happening at a few Best Buy stores. I'm not sure how security is being done on them, but it's a real thing.

Is it possible that the failure of Power Discs are particularly to blame?

Perhaps Disney was counting for high sales of those. $2.50 for a plastic disk with art must have had much better margins than figures. Considering they had blind packs and rare discs for the first two games they must have hoped for sales.

Instead it seems they were heavily discounted to $1/$2 from $5 everywhere.

Even doing away with blind packs and selling 4 discs for $10 seems not have worked. Less than a month after having them on sale for $5 Best Buy discounted them to $2. There were still tons left at the end of the week.

I wonder if the who model only worked if people were interested in buying these cheap to produce disks?

It's probably been mentioned, but the free Cartwheel app gets you 75% OFF all Disney Infinity 1.0 and 2.0 figures at Target. Plus they price match Amazon and the coupon stacks on top of that.

If you can find any. All the local stores in Connecticut have stock for certain stuff but seem to be just discontinuing the products so you can't buy them and donate them to Goodwill.

Was able to get some 2.0 Marvel Power Packs from one store from the back even though they showed zero stock in the state.

I thought Warner Bros. would be the first to drop out, because people don't seem to care about LEGO Dimensions. But maybe I'm wrong about that.

Celine

Disney had kind of an insane cost base.

Avalanche was 300 people, plus they had eight other studios on top of them working on Disney Infinity 3.

It's like how Junction Point was shut down after Epic Mickey 2 because they were 700 employees and the game only sold a few million.
I doubt Epic Mickey 2 sold a few millions, that was the first Epic Mickey.
The sequel, despite going full multiplatform (Wii, WiiU, 360, PS3, Vita and a spinoff on 3DS), sold less than the original game.

Az987

all good things
Not surprised really. Disney doesn't have the stomach for making games. How many studios have they closed in the past few years?

That's why I balk at the idea when people say they should buy Nintendo. Yes, so they could shut them down within 5 years and take the IPs.

BigDes

Wonder what Game are going to do. They spent the last few years shoving the actual games onto a shelf at the side od the store to become Skylander/Infinity show rooms

For what is worth, i think Super Skrull would be safe, wasn't he included precisely because there was a ban on F4 characters, but Super Skrull was allowed due to a technicallity?

Nope, that is the opposite. Skulls as a race is allowed, Super Skrull is not.

Wow! I just bought 2.0 and 3.0 mad cheap at Target and got a ton of cheap 3.0 stuff at BB on a sale a week or two ago. I was curious why Target told me they were just throwing out the 2.0 stuff. Luckily the manager just gave them to me for a huge markdown.

This completely came out of nowhere. My kids love this series. At least I've got enough content in there for them for a couple years.

botty

Banned
Yeah, if only things were that simple...You know, normally I stay really quiet on the gaming side of things but not on this one.

As someone that knows exactly what I am talking about, sometimes decisions are made above your pay grade. All you as a dev can do is work your hardest and turn in the best game you can.

When a studio gets shuttered, it's a sad thing. People have lives, families, kids, etc. They didn't make the high level decisions that resulted in that studio getting closed. They likely busted their asses, crunched crazy long hours in the effort to complete games. So yeah, when I see people that have probably never worked in this industry, making light of it by saying things like "Iwata *laughs* or "Amiibo won" it tells me they don't directly know anyone that has been affected in that way.

There is zero funny about what happened to the people at Avalanche or any studio that gets shut down.

This is literally what I said in my post...

I know this isn't really what the thread is about but I wonder if this adds more credence to the rumoured PS4 Spider-Man game. If Disney is only looking to license their IP out for console games it would make sense that they'd want to work with a Publisher / Developer like Sony who can put up the cost of the game with little to no risk for Disney.

It is

I was given a copy of LEGO Dimensions, but have yet to play it. Having to build the things turns me off, and I'm just not a big LEGO game fan.

I need to get to it this summer.
You might as well gift it forward, if you hate building Lego and doesn't enjoy Lego video game.

Ridley327

I know this isn't really what the thread is about but I wonder if this adds more credence to the rumoured PS4 Spider-Man game. If Disney is only looking to license their IP out for console games it would make sense that they'd want to work with a Publisher / Developer like Sony who can put up the cost of the game with little to no risk for Disney.

I mentioned it earlier, but this wouldn't have any bearing on that since the rights to Spider-Man games are presently with Activision. Not for much longer, mind you, but it's unrelated.

You might as well gift it forward, if you hate building Lego and doesn't enjoy Lego video game.

Yeah. I've enjoyed some LEGO games, but bore of them kind of quickly.

There's nobody to really gift it forward to around me and I want to cross it off my mental backlog, so I will play it someday.

I mentioned it earlier, but this wouldn't have any bearing on that since the rights to Spider-Man games are presently with Activision. Not for much longer, mind you, but it's unrelated.

I could be wrong, but when the rumour first popped up a lot of people in that thread were claiming Activision now only holds the rights to SM games specifically tied to a movie, apparently their rights to the non movie Spider-Man video games have expired and reverted back to Disney.

Well damn along with the others first thing I thought was poor Brandon. But this just makes me extra pissed at Disney. They buy up Star Wars acquiring LucasArts, kills LucasArts and in the process the brilliant looking 1313, now just a few years later they are realizing maybe console games wasn't for them.............

Jeels

I thought this stuff was super profitable? I don't see the need to exit the market with one title that encompasses all your brands. It was really a match made in heaven. What the heck is going on?

Az987

all good things
What if they licensed their characters to Nintendo for them to be released as Amiibos?

That would be rad.

Avalanche did a very good and under-recognized job with both Toy Story 3 and Cars 2. They were really fun games. Especially Toy Story 3, which was super robust.

I thought this stuff was super profitable? I don't see the need to exit the market with one title that encompasses all your brands. It was really a match made in heaven. What the heck is going on?

Your first assumption is incorrect. High inventory costs, high placement at retail costs, high costs of price promotion to move inventory through retail, lots of employees both development and sales, high marketing costs, and a market that has still not transitioned a majority of sales to next gen and which is flat to down despite the entrance of the Star Wars IP.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
It is

I was given a copy of LEGO Dimensions, but have yet to play it. Having to build the things turns me off, and I'm just not a big LEGO game fan.

I need to get to it this summer.

You don't have to build anything. The game can't tell whether you've built anything or not.
Just put labels on the RFID tags. (And you only even need to do that for the vehicles. The character tags have unique art on them.)

FyreWulff

Toys to life arent dead yet. wait for the Pokemon amiibo line.

Yeah. I'd say this is less an indicator of the health of Toys to Life and more that Disney, as a company, doesn't have any institutional pride or institutional investment in being a video game publisher. It's easy for their shareholders and corporate to kill the games business because the math works out for them, even if it wasn't a tire fire for them.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
That's pretty crazy - licensing does seem to be Disney's strongest suit though with the likes of Star Wars, Disney Tsum Tsum & Kingdom Hearts performing very well for them. Saddened for the closure of the studio though.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Your first assumption is incorrect. High inventory costs, high placement at retail costs, high costs of price promotion to move inventory through retail, lots of employees both development and sales, high marketing costs, and a market that has still not transitioned a majority of sales to next gen and which is flat to down despite the entrance of the Star Wars IP.
And this is in the face of a notably profitable licensing business, along with rosier, much less risky prospects in mobile, so it looks pretty comparatively bad.

Top Bottom