• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity Canceled; Disney Exits Console Publishing; Avalanche Shut [Statement]

This is literally what I said in my post...

Understood.

My point is, it's not really about blame at this point. What's done is done. And it fucking sucks. For me, it's about hoping people having some sympathy for the 300 people affected by this studio closure and not reducing their situation to some shitty joke.

NoPiece

Your first assumption is incorrect. High inventory costs, high placement at retail costs, high costs of price promotion to move inventory through retail, lots of employees both development and sales, high marketing costs, and a market that has still not transitioned a majority of sales to next gen and which is flat to down despite the entrance of the Star Wars IP.

They kinda missed the 2015 holiday window with no Force Awakens starter pack. I would have bought it for the kids
myself
, but not really interested in the prequels or cartoons.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
And this is in the face of a notably profitable licensing business, along with rosier, much less risky prospects in mobile, so it looks pretty comparatively bad.

I mean one only has to look at how Disney Tsum Tsum is performing and weigh the pros and cons here - licensing carries much less risk.

I never played any of Disney Infinity myself, but the figurines were just gorgeous. Man, I hope everyone at Avalanche ends up okay, that's a lot of people losing their jobs.

If they'll be patching in the Dory content, hopefully they can remove the online hooks to ensure the game still works once the servers are gone.

New playset patching was planned with the devs (Avalanche). To shut down development is an administrative decision, Avalanche won't be available to patch the game later on. They will just pull the servers plug, as any publisher does.

Nairume

Banned
I'm confused, what does KOTOR have to do with this news?
It's especially weird considering the developer of KOTOR1 is explicitly owned by the publisher with a preexisting license to make Star Wars games, so this news has no bearing on them working on a new one to begin with.

Or that the developer of KOTOR2 probably isn't in a position to work on the franchise.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Avalanche did a very good and under-recognized job with both Toy Story 3 and Cars 2. They were really fun games. Especially Toy Story 3, which was super robust.

Completely agree. Toy Story 3 is my most underrated game of last generation.

Poona

They kinda missed the 2015 holiday window with no Force Awakens starter pack. I would have bought it for the kids
myself
, but not really interested in the prequels or cartoons.

There is a Force Awakens playset. Could have just got the game and that if you have something against Anakin and Ahsoka.

Your first assumption is incorrect. High inventory costs, high placement at retail costs, high costs of price promotion to move inventory through retail, lots of employees both development and sales, high marketing costs, and a market that has still not transitioned a majority of sales to next gen and which is flat to down despite the entrance of the Star Wars IP.

Do you know what were the top platforms for each entry?

Was 360 number 1 for all three games including last year's? And wasn't PS4 kind of low?

So the hundred million dollar question now is... Is this just the first domino that falls on TTL as a genre, or is this just a new opportunity for those that are left?

If you were working on one of these other TTL brands, does this make you more nervous for the future and make you want to get conservative, or does it look like a chance to double down and go bigger???

Do you know what were the top platforms for each entry?

Was 360 number 1 for all three games including last year's? And wasn't PS4 kind of low?

In the US, Wii, X360, Wii U have been the biggest platforms for TTL to date. Xbox One and Ps4 are actually quite close, but haven't yet exceeded sales of the old gen, even now.

Krabboss

My heart goes out to everybody who just lost a job.

I was surprised the series made it to 3 games. I think I've played all 3 after their retail prices have plummeted and feel like the games probably didn't deserve all the effort and shelf space.

Earendil

My kids are going to be crushed. I just ordered a few figures they have been wanting off of Amazon before they get snatched up.

border

So the hundred million dollar question now is... Is this just the first domino that falls on TTL as a genre, or is this just a new opportunity for those that are left?

I have to think that this bodes really poorly for Lego Dimensions, which is working with a less interesting set of IPs. I don't think it ever charted on the NPD....and had very sizable discounts during the Christmas season which probably indicated they weren't doing as well as expected.

Amiibo is going to die down sooner or later, just because Nintendo has kinda run out of big-name characters to release new toys for. I won't start writing the obituary just yet though until we see if and how they plan on using them for NX games.

213372bu

Banned

If you were working on one of these other TTL brands, does this make you more nervous for the future and make you want to get conservative, or does it look like a chance to double down and go bigger???

Why? That's a reductive way of looking at things.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???

Comparatively to last year, how are amiibos & Disney Infinity performing to last year? Are they down significantly?

And how did Lego Dimensions do, I don't recall? Maybe there's just too much in the market place.

Edit: They must not be doing terribly given they are still supporting the platform

http://www.licensemag.com/license-global/wb-expands-lego-dimensions

Nairume

Banned
There is a Force Awakens playset. Could have just got the game and that if you have something against Anakin and Ahsoka.
For what it's worth, the TFA playset not coming out until a few days before christmas might have effectively put it outside of the "holiday window" for a lot of families that had already budgeted out and/or bought all their gifts.

It's too bad they sold the Marvel license to Activision. They could have done some amazing things with all that IP. But there's no way they could have known how big Marvel was going to be. And of course they could have mucked up any of those games as well but they couldn't be any worse than anything Activision has made in the last decade.

Activision is one of those companies I love and hate at the same time.

FyreWulff

It's too bad they sold the Marvel license to Activision. They could have done some amazing things with all that IP. But there's no way they could have known how big Marvel was going to be. And of course they could have mucked up any of those games as well but they couldn't be any worse than anything Activision has made in the last decade.

I thought Activision's Marvel license ran out in 2014?

Neoxon

Activision's Marvel license for new games expired back in 2014, with their Spider-Man movie tie-in license expiring next year.

Mindlog

Mobile/NFC
Ape pin trading/keychain sized creatures.
Something similar to street passing.

Play it up in the parks.

Where is my 100 million?

In the US, Wii, X360, Wii U have been the biggest platforms for TTL to date. Xbox One and Ps4 are actually quite close, but haven't yet exceeded sales of the old gen, even now.

Skylanders is getting a TV show this fall so we have to see how that falls out.

I don't think the Rabbids cartoon had a benefit on the last game considering I could buy a new PS4 copy from Best Buy for $5 and no new games have been announced.

Lego seem super weird. Walmart has all the non level pack figures 40% off and there seems to be more weeks when they're on sale than not.

Target had a 75% off deal for all Lego Movie and Chima packs I used to get all of those lines. At that price they were cheaper than actual Lego solo minifigs.

Dimensions was also introduced as a single game that would have constant updates. I think it's on the box.

I don't know if it's smart not to release a new game and bundle considering those $100 starter packs could be had for $40 less than 6 months after release.

It's interesting how many platforms Infinity showed up on. The original had different Wii and 3DS versions while 2.0 actually had a Vita version that came out like 6 months after everything else.

I think Skylanders has to make a co-op platformer for Wii this fall considering they can port it to 3DS. It's probably worth it.

213372bu

Banned
Interesting. How so? If you're one of the other players, you don't see this move by Disney as significant to your business?

Well, I mean Activision is one of the biggest videogame publishers, and Skylanders has been proclaimed as being a huge commercial success.

To me it seems more like Skylanders "won" over Disney Infinity than it does the decline of their business.

Arttemis

Wow. This was not expected, and sad that they shuttered their entire publishing company over a fad like TTL games. Good luck to the people without jobs.

Hopefully, this starts the end for forcing physical sales to access digital content. This scheme screamed of sleazy design. Furthermore, I hope Disney diversifies their licensing to many more developers than just EA.

I have to think that this bodes really poorly for Lego Dimensions, which is working with a less interesting set of IPs.

Unless this now opens up Disney licenses for Lego Dimensions. After all, Lego makes tons of Disney sets already. The only thing holding them back from Lego Dimensions was probably the direct competition of Disney Infinity, but that's gone now. This could be a massive boon for Lego Dimensions.

NoPiece

My recollection is that around the holidays, with the starter packs discounted, it would have been at least double the price to buy the game, play set, and a base separately.

Regardless, they missed an opportunity to be tie into the biggest movie of the year. Though the window would have been tight with late release date.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

So, I guess I'd view this differently for each vendor.

Nintendo:
- Nintendo's business model is pretty different. A large portion (perhaps even a notable majority) of their figurines are being sold to 18-40 year olds instead of 6-15 year olds, so they're able to retain price much better, which is important to margins.
- Ignoring Animal Crossing, the games being made for Amiibo are products that Nintendo would be making anyway, so the actual cost of supporting the toy line is way cheaper.
- For the toys that are being sold to children, this is one of the fews ways they can currently engage with them outside of them beyond their video games right now. They want to make TV shows, anime, and film as well, but whatever they can do in the short term to maintain relevance with younger children is helpful.
- Amiibo sales are actually going up IIRC. Hard to come up with a stronger argument than that to keep going.

Activision:
- They made the genre, and Disney Infinity was the biggest thorn in their side, so I feel this helps them significantly. If someone wants to buy their kid a Toys to Life game this Fall that actually leverages the full concept of the genre, they're the only new retail product in town.
- I suspect Activision is much better at controlling costs than Disney, whose experience is limited to making one console game as far as the modern market goes.
- Activision's television and supporting media efforts are starting to come online, and it's hard to imagine that hurting the series. Disney's big advantage was that everyone knows who their characters are, and if Activision can get to that same point, at least among younger children, it should be a big boon to the product.
- Disney is an endlessly larger company than Activision, so any success Activision is seeing in this genre is going to be much more of a boon to them than it was going to be for Disney.
- To be honest, the Activision subdivision of Activision Blizzard has very poor prospects for growth, so killing off one of their only remaining product lines is going to hurt a lot for the subdivision's management, and they will likely try to avoid that at all costs.

Warner Bros:
- They're the only company in town with franchises that people know outside of gaming. This is helpful with appealing to parents who are looking to buy gifts for their children as well as with the children themselves.
- However, by the same token, they're the only making a game without using wholly owned IP. LEGO is a license, as is much of the IP they're using, and presumably they have to pay for the LEGOs they're making at a price notably above cost given they don't manufacture them themselves.
- The licensing model though does mean they can keep adjusting what IPs they're using based on changing tastes in the market. If people stop liking DC super heroes after the DC Cinematic Universe gets through with them, they can still sell consumers Simpsons minifigures.
- Warner Bros is not as big of a company as Disney, and isn't doing super hot either, but they're still a lot bigger than Activision. The success of LEGO Dimensions would be more appealing to them than Disney Infinity is for Disney, but less appealing than Skylanders is for Activision Blizzard.
- LEGOs themselves are not going away, so the idea of the toys themselves being appealing is basically assured for the long term. The prices on LEGOs are also very high even outside the TTL genre, so the audience that's buying them might be more accepting of maintaining a high cost base for the product.

For Nintendo and Activision at least, I'd stay the course and see what happens. For Warner Bros, I think it's a harder business decision, but a lot of that is driven by us having no real public statements on how LEGO Dimensions is doing to judge its success off of. Is it losing lots of money? Well, maybe it's time to ask if it's worth continuing. Is it making lots of money? Hey, the market is now a lot less crowded! Is it breaking even (or thereabouts)? Harder call, though probably worth trying at least one more product, and if not, just wait to see how Skylanders does with no competition and make a call from there.

For new entrants, I wouldn't even bother until it's clear where the genre is heading and if it's going to stick around for the long term. It's already too late to get in on the ground floor anyway.

MacTag

Banned
I have to think that this bodes really poorly for Lego Dimensions, which is working with a less interesting set of IPs. I don't think it ever charted on the NPD....and had very sizable discounts during the Christmas season which probably indicated they weren't doing as well as expected.

Amiibo is going to die down sooner or later, just because Nintendo has kinda run out of big-name characters to release new toys for. I won't start writing the obituary just yet though until we see if and how they plan on using them for NX games.
Amiibo's a bit different as it's not tied to extra hardware, a singular annual game or even being TTL really (playing cards, stuffed animals). It's a much more versatile and flexible brand approach.

Wow. This was not expected, and sad that they shuttered their entire publishing company over a fad like TTL games. Good luck to the people without jobs.
TTL was basically the only thing Disney had left though, they'd closed down the rest of their studios and franchises for yhe past several years. It's not like Disney Infinity killed an active console division.

DonMigs85

I'm real sad about this since most of the toys looked really good, better than just about any Amiibo. Hulkbuster and Baloo really caught my eye.

shaowebb

Good luck to all those at Avalanche. This is out of left field and devastating. Avalanche is a pretty big bunch of folks and its hard to see something like this happen to all those folks.

They're taking up a ton at my local Walmarts.

I bought two of these from Walmart yesterday for $11.

latest

I already have one but at that price they're something cool to give to my two sisters whose favorite Disney movie is Aladdin.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Mother FUCK

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK

FUUCCCCKKKKKK

latest

Now we won't get the fucking Rogue One playset

FUUUUUUCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Top Bottom