• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Mindlog

Right there with you.
Before release: 'Why are they making a new Doom?'
Now: 'Well that shut me up. They should make a sequel holy crap. I need a new Doom 2. Wouldn't it be amazing if they also tried making a Doom based on a sword wielding warrior? How would that work? Could Doom and Dark Souls come together? What would that be like? Dark Souls meets Bayonetta? I don't know. I just need more Doom. Who would have thought that despite being inundated by sequels what I want more of is Doom?'

I'll probably be hitting up snap map to test some stuff out. It's not even that I necessarily want to make something great, but Doom's encounters reminded me of all the elements I've been sorely missing in other modern FPSs. Just being able to go in and tinker with a level helps me better articulate my distaste for some modern design elements.

Neiteio

Does this game have New Game+?
Technically, no, but you can replay any mission you've already completed and you'll have access to all of your weapons and upgrades, and any new secrets you find will be added to your current progress.

Also, you can play any completed mission on any of the first three difficulty levels, regardless of what difficulty level you were playing when you originally completed them. So if you beat a level on Hurt Me Plenty and want to replay it with your current gear on Ultra Violence, you can do so.

Manu

Technically, no, but you can replay any mission you've already completed and you'll have access to all of your weapons and upgrades, and any new secrets you find will be added to your current progress.

Also, you can play any completed mission on any of the first three difficulty levels, regardless of what difficulty level you were playing when you originally completed them. So if you beat a level on Hurt Me Plenty and want to replay it with your current gear on Ultra Violence, you can do so.

This is fucking amazing. Thanks!

mcz117chief

I've been playing this almost nonstop since last Friday. I can't get over how good this game is, and I don't even usually like FPS that much. It reminds me of old shooters, not just Doom (of course,) but stuff like Quake and Unreal too. I love the movement, the speed, the verticality, the gore. It's also amazing how great it looks and runs in PS4 and how well it controls with the DS4. Usually in other games I hate arena-based design, and when you reach an area where you know enemies are gonna spawn at any time I just sigh. Here? I'm like BRING IT ON, FUCKERS, LET'S DO THIS.

I love, LOVE this game.

Multiplayer is "eh". Generic as fuck but not as bad as I was led to believe.

Then in that case I would suggest you try out Shadow Warrior 2013, they are very similar but Shadow Warrior has much more emphasise on melee and gore but besides that the gameplay is almost identical.

mcz117chief

What's the consensus on Shadow Warrior? Recommended?

If you like Build engine games like Duke Nukem 3d or Blood then you will absolutely love Shadow Warrior. If you are talking about Shadow Warrior 2013 then it (along with Rise of the Triad) was one of the first classic re-makes that tried to keep the fast gameplay style while propelling the mechanics into the present and making them more modern. Some say that the game drags on a little bit near the end (and there is indeed one pretty meh level) but overall it is an exceptionally well done shooter with amazing music, characters, gore and melee combat. The story in the game isn't bad either, just don't expect NieR's level of storytelling and you will be fine, there are a couple of pretty good twists in Shadow Warrior however.

Skyzard

Banned
LLTP, picked up DOOM after seeing it on Giant Bomb and the Steam sale and I'm liking it a lot.

Hopped into MP and damn is it slow. I guess GB warned me, but damn. Had an itching for Quake Live afterwards... but the graphics...so I picked up Overwatch...but it's not quite an Arena FPS.

Do I have to wait for a new Quake/Unreal for that style of MP or are there fast modes in Doom? Maybe without the demon upgrades...?

-forgot UT had an alpha...downloading to see if they improved on it enough. -- It's not bad, nice, tiny bit faster would be nice but it'll do.

Manu

I ended up finishing the game last night. I didn't want it to be over tbh, but it's so addicting. Final boss killed me more times than any other enemy in the game, even in Hurt Me Plenty. Overall, amazing game, one of the best SP experiences I've ever had with a shooter. If I had to rate the game for the SP alone, I'd give it a 9/10. I need a sequel NAO.

Should I go for the secrets, collectibles and stuff now? Maybe play on a higher difficulty. How is Nightmare, balance wise? I only found one of the classic levels.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
just bought this game. apart from playing a little of the demo on PC i have never played a Doom game before. once it finishes downloading i'll get into it. my old PC struggled to run the demo at solid 60fps on low. can't wait to see what my i7-6700K and GTX 1070 can do.

mcz117chief

I ended up finishing the game last night. I didn't want it to be over tbh, but it's so addicting. Final boss killed me more times than any other enemy in the game, even in Hurt Me Plenty. Overall, amazing game, one of the best SP experiences I've ever had with a shooter. If I had to rate the game for the SP alone, I'd give it a 9/10. I need a sequel NAO.

Should I go for the secrets, collectibles and stuff now? Maybe play on a higher difficulty. How is Nightmare, balance wise? I only found one of the classic levels.

I also finished it last night and I found the spider master extremely easy, much much easier than cyberdemon. Cyberdemon killed me twice but spider master didn't even take down my armour. I also hope we get a sequel, the game has a pretty solid base to build up on, they just have to put a lot more effort into details and to polish it to make it really outstanding. I just hope the sequel won't be called Doom 2, the fact that this one is called Doom is bad enough. What they really need to improve are the weapons, some weapons are decent, like the machine gun and railgun, but mostly they are pretty bad and boring. Then they need to focus on hit reaction, enemies take hits without flinching or blood splattering and some of the weapons make it feel like you aren't hitting them at all like the railgun, on the other hand the chaingun makes these blue effects when it hits the enemy and thus it feels like you are shooting them with water bags, really weird. Then we have the impossibly bad alpha effects on the plasma rifle which might be a throwback to the original game since the animation works very similarly (as in the bolt is part of the weapon animation). Another thing would be the BFG which is extremely lackluster and feels underwhelming. It is powerful but doesn't feel powerful, the one in Doom 3 is miles above this one. Lastly the "glory" kills need to be drastically improved, they are really repetitive and expect for few are very mild, the berserker ones are great and those should be the standard ones, they should work up from there.

I hope we won't have to wait 10 years for a sequel though, they made a decent game and we can only go up from here.

Carm

Finally getting back to this, restarted on ultra violence, I have a question. The secrets and collectibles on all the levels, are any of them missable before finishing the level? Meaning, as long as I don't finish the level, can I backtrack all the way to the beginning of the levels. I was able to do that on the level before the foundry.

Mindlog

Beat the game on UV.
Time to rip and tear nightmare.
Finally getting back to this, restarted on ultra violence, I have a question. The secrets and collectibles on all the levels, are any of them missable before finishing the level? Meaning, as long as I don't finish the level, can I backtrack all the way to the beginning of the levels. I was able to do that on the level before the foundry.
You can not completely back track through most levels. Unfortunately some of the secrets are missable and some of them arrive at different areas when you think they should.

Fortunately (for me anyway) replaying a level was fun, easy and a great way to complete some rune/weapon challenges.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Just a heads up, tomorrow at roughly 9pm Eastern there will be a Final Doom - Plutonia Experiment speedrun on Summer Games Done Quick.

Can you get a steam achievement for completing it on Ultra Violence by playing through it this way? Or have you got to do a fresh restart?

Lanrutcon

Pretty cool alt cover I found:

DOOMalt_zpsjxrynlxg.jpg

Would kill for a full sized poster of that. Excellent stuff.

Anyone have a list of recommended snapmap levels to try out? I completed the campaign which i absolutely loved and played a fair bit of MP but barely touched snapmap!

CHC

I just bought this today.

Should I play on Ultra-Violence or Nightmare? I'm pretty decent at FPS games and I like a real challenge, but the only thing that concerns me about Nightmare is that there are no tutorials and that I can't change mid way.

Are there things a tutorial tells you that aren't intuitive? And is Nightmare just annoying or is it fun? I want to get my ass into the action, and sometimes on ultra-hard, FPS games are just about running away from enemies and taking cheesy pot-shots. I don't want to play like that. So if Nightmare plays like that, no thanks.

Sciz

Nightmare requires very evasive and aggressive play to stay alive, because you'll die in 2-3 attacks from full health and armor for most of the game. It was a lot of fun on a second pass, but I'm not sure how great the experience would be as the first run when you're still learning enemy behaviors.

ArjanN

I just bought this today.

Should I play on Ultra-Violence or Nightmare? I'm pretty decent at FPS games and I like a real challenge, but the only thing that concerns me about Nightmare is that there are no tutorials and that I can't change mid way.

Are there things a tutorial tells you that aren't intuitive? And is Nightmare just annoying or is it fun? I want to get my ass into the action, and sometimes on ultra-hard, FPS games are just about running away from enemies and taking cheesy pot-shots. I don't want to play like that. So if Nightmare plays like that, no thanks.

I'm going to say Ultra-Violence first as well.

CHC

Nightmare requires very evasive and aggressive play to stay alive, because you'll die in 2-3 attacks from full health and armor for most of the game. It was a lot of fun on a second pass, but I'm not sure how great the experience would be as the first run when you're still learning enemy behaviors.

I'm going to say Ultra-Violence first as well.

Thanks guys, I'll try UV first. I just don't want to resort to pussyfooting around and being cheesy to stay alive - it's Doom! I want to rip and tear after all... But I still want a good challenge.

So I played the game (loved it) and began going through some of the achievements. I collected all available 33 Praetor tokens to open the "Overclocked" achievement. Only to realize I can't buy all the suit upgrades because the correct number of tokens should be 36. It seems the second mission "Resource Operations" is nowhere to be found. It's not listed on the mission select screen. After "UAC" there's "Foundry".

Is it a bug or am I missing something?

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks guys, I'll try UV first. I just don't want to resort to pussyfooting around and being cheesy to stay alive - it's Doom! I want to rip and tear after all... But I still want a good challenge.

I'd say Nightmare honestly. It makes beating the tougher levels feel all the more satisfying.

CHC

I'd say Nightmare honestly. It makes beating the tougher levels feel all the more satisfying.

Yeah I actually got to the foundry on Ultra Violence and was a little bored.

Switched to Nightmare and whoooooooo fuck yes. Definitely much more enjoyable, it's perfectly possible, you just have to be tight all the time. It's a perfect match for the razor sharp controls and movement.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I actually got to the foundry on Ultra Violence and was a little bored.

Switched to Nightmare and whoooooooo fuck yes. Definitely much more enjoyable, it's perfectly possible, you just have to be tight all the time. It's a perfect match for the razor sharp controls and movement.

Nightmare = Rip and Tear mode.

To anyone with the Revenant statue: I've been thinking of snagging one - has anyone had any issues with the LED lights or the fan in the base not working?

NBtoaster

Finished this with a 14 hour playtime on UV, which is a pretty satisfying number. I was pretty bad at collecting secrets and I feel the need to go back for more.

Though I'm not entirely convinced that the Mancubus is that fun to fight. I'm fine with bullet sponges but the armor makes them a little annoying, to the point where I started saving the chainsaw for them.

Ulysses 31

Gold Member
Finished this with a 14 hour playtime on UV, which is a pretty satisfying number. I was pretty bad at collecting secrets and I feel the need to go back for more.

Though I'm not entirely convinced that the Mancubus is that fun to fight. I'm fine with bullet sponges but the armor makes them a little annoying, to the point where I started saving the chainsaw for them.

You should hit them in the face or where ever their skin is exposed, otherwise you see a force field effect that greatly absorbs damage done to them.

CHC

Is there a way to not have sensitivity change when firing the plasma rifle on full auto? Makes me not want to use that weapon

Oh wow I thought that was just me.... such a weird thing. If it's a conscious decision I really wonder why. I can't hit shit with that gun.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Finished my first run through last night on PC. Took my time exploring so it took 19 hours. Still have a fair amount of stuff to go back and get as well.

Great game. Best FPS campaign I've played in ages.

CHC

Man it's surprisingly a really enjoyable difficulty finding all the secrets. Definitely very possible without looking at a guide. Much more fun than I expected - I thought some would just be stupidly hidden. It's really fun checking the map and then figuring out how to get to places. The level design is really fantastic!

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I bought it in the GmG sale but I had a back operation yesterday so I can't sit at the PC for awhile, it's all downloaded and ready to go but I can't play it! I've been dying to play it since I tried the demo and I'm so close but so far! At least I can play it with the old school weapon placement from the get go, though.

I got to the end of Know Your Enemy, then decided to backtrack and find all the stuff I missed. It let me do this, then the game crashed, it sent me back near the level exit for some damn reason (my last checkpoint was after going back and finding the
Plasma Gun
), and now I can't seem to get out of that area? Am I missing something here?

Fucking checkpoint save systems.

CHC

I'm honestly just so blown away at how amazing this game is. Like Wolfenstein, it's the perfect mix of nostalgia and modern design, and utterly free from phony-baloney melodrama and cinematic aspirations. It's just fucking on, all the time.

The best part is just the sense of progression you get, even without heavy RPG elements or anything affecting your stats. When I first started the game, my biggest fear was the security guys with shields. After surviving hell, I just look at them and see free health. It's awesome.

BHK3

Banned
Beat it today.

Game was too easy, I thought it would get harder but they just make you way too strong. You'll be OP as shit if you look for the secrets, which shouldn't be the way they are. I'm starting my ultra nightmare playthrough now but it'll take me a while to go through the game again. My favourite encounter was definitely the
Hell Guards but I was disappointed that they pussied out and didnt give the 2 guards shields like the 1st

Hell isn't as well designed as I thought it would be, it felt more haunted house than anything really. Doom 1 and 2 are legit creepy with its moving bloody walls and darker levels, 3 was very muted and survival horror so going to hell had a lot more weight to it. I never felt like I was reaching the ending because the game never really escalated, I used the BFG maybe two times total because it was just never necessary. I saw that the snapmap can only have so many monsters out at once, I guess it's the same for the single player since I can't recall ever getting swarmed like in doom 1 or 2. You'd think when you
reach hell again that the game would throw everything it could at you
but it never did. Hell I never even used any of the powerups, I would only use the quad damage to kill the mancubus because they are super annoying with how bullet spongy they are but that's it.

Favourite parts are definitely the rune scriptures telling of how badass you are and how
they had to drop an entire temple on you to stop you from destroying hell
. Shame the game never really fully pushed that. You use only the shotgun for the vast majority of the game and I found myself using other weapons simply because I didn't want to use up all my shotgun ammo, rather than for their usefulness. I forgot the pistol even existed, what a sad sorry excuse that weapon is.

The glory kills were as I feared from the day they revealed the game, a negative feature. The gameplay was slightly designed around the glory kills so enemies will tank 1-2 extra shots as they stand there dazed because you're supposed to glory kill them. No it's not like the action is slow or anything but I rather shoot everything rather than constantly stopping and starting the same punch animation 1000 times.

All in all they played it really safe and I hope the next Doom is where they really take off the gloves or maybe make an expansion like the old days.

So if I go back to to a previous mission on my save file to grab the stuff I missed, I can then continue on with the latest mission I was on, and it will add whatever I picked up? I also read that if you do that, and die before the game makes a new autosave, you can lose everything you just went back for. Is that still true?

Moff

So if I go back to to a previous mission on my save file to grab the stuff I missed, I can then continue on with the latest mission I was on, and it will add whatever I picked up? I also read that if you do that, and die before the game makes a new autosave, you can lose everything you just went back for. Is that still true?

yes you can do that, you can go back with all the upgrades of your current mission and you will keep all the upgrades you got when you continue your current mission

howewever, you will lose all that progress if you choose to restart your current mission. it will then put you back to the point you where when you started your current mission

yes you can do that, you can go back with all the upgrades of your current mission and you will keep all the upgrades you got when you continue your current mission

howewever, you will lose all that progress if you choose to restart your current mission. it will then put you back to the point you where when you started your current mission

I see, thanks. So I should pretty much never use restart mission, and if I miss something, it's always better to just finish a level anyway, and redo it from the mission select menu if I want to get the collectables or whatever. OK.

And I just noticed that an update is downloading. Vulkan patch.

Ixion

Hell isn't as well designed as I thought it would be, it felt more haunted house than anything really.

It's funny you're seeing that negatively, since there were some Doom veterans on this forum who, prior to release, complained that DOOM's hell didn't seem to have that "haunted house" feel from the original games. It turned out that DOOM's hell really did capture that haunted house feel, which I felt was true to the series.

Tried to switch to Vulkan, but now the game won't start.

Beat it today.

Game was too easy, I thought it would get harder but they just make you way too strong. You'll be OP as shit if you look for the secrets, which shouldn't be the way they are. I'm starting my ultra nightmare playthrough now but it'll take me a while to go through the game again. My favourite encounter was definitely the
Hell Guards but I was disappointed that they pussied out and didnt give the 2 guards shields like the 1st

I don't think that would have been fun at all. It would have come down to pure luck beating them that way.

Hell isn't as well designed as I thought it would be, it felt more haunted house than anything really. Doom 1 and 2 are legit creepy with its moving bloody walls and darker levels, 3 was very muted and survival horror so going to hell had a lot more weight to it. I never felt like I was reaching the ending because the game never really escalated, I used the BFG maybe two times total because it was just never necessary. I saw that the snapmap can only have so many monsters out at once, I guess it's the same for the single player since I can't recall ever getting swarmed like in doom 1 or 2. You'd think when you
reach hell again that the game would throw everything it could at you
but it never did. Hell I never even used any of the powerups, I would only use the quad damage to kill the mancubus because they are super annoying with how bullet spongy they are but that's it.

It's really uninspired. Just a bunch of brown floating in nothingness. Since Hell seems to be more of an alien dimension with its own hierarchy and history than actual "Hell," they should have gone for more of a ruined civilization theme.

Favourite parts are definitely the rune scriptures telling of how badass you are and how
they had to drop an entire temple on you to stop you from destroying hell
. Shame the game never really fully pushed that. You use only the shotgun for the vast majority of the game and I found myself using other weapons simply because I didn't want to use up all my shotgun ammo, rather than for their usefulness. I forgot the pistol even existed, what a sad sorry excuse that weapon is.

I definitely did not only use the shotgun. All of the weapons are good, and since weapon switching is so fast, sticking with only the shotgun really isn't efficient at all. Mancubi are annoying bullet sponges until you just gauss rocket gauss rocket and they're done, or headshot them with the chaingun's fully-upgraded sentry mode. Plasma rifle gives you the stun bomb even after its been made mostly obsolete.
If you give the pistol all of the upgrades, it's actually like a baby version of the Gauss Rifle. Not that anyone would do that, but it's still less-useless than the Doom 1-2 pistol, so that's all I can ask for.

The glory kills were as I feared from the day they revealed the game, a negative feature. The gameplay was slightly designed around the glory kills so enemies will tank 1-2 extra shots as they stand there dazed because you're supposed to glory kill them. No it's not like the action is slow or anything but I rather shoot everything rather than constantly stopping and starting the same punch animation 1000 times.

Since enemies are more aggressive and unpredictable than in Doom 1-2, I think they fully expected the player to take plenty of damage and so made it easier to create glory kill opportunities. You can still shoot them rather than bothering with the glory kills, but it certainly does feel like soldier zombies and imps were given 20% or so bonus health to encourage glory killing them.

All in all they played it really safe and I hope the next Doom is where they really take off the gloves or maybe make an expansion like the old days.

I still want that to happen, but I feel like it's a technological limitation that we can't have dozens of imps running around onscreen at once. Still, I don't see it happening even if the next game was made PC-exclusive.

stuminus3

Beat this last night, had to uninstall it to stop myself immediately playing though again. Don't want to get sick of it. Though if they announced a DOOM 2 and it released tomorrow I'd be standing in line before finishing this sentence.

Some of the arenas in the last few levels are amazing. Feels like playing Quake III on a busy server but you're the best player in the game, bouncing around and gibbing fools left and right with the rail gun gauss cannon as you zoom past them at the speed of light.

I was hoping for good things from this game due to all the word of mouth, but this is easily one of the most pure fun games I've played in a while. Kinda had some "very good, but kinda disappointing" games this year, so it's nice for one to exceed expectations.

BHK3

Banned
It's funny you're seeing that negatively, since there were some Doom veterans on this forum who, prior to release, complained that DOOM's hell didn't seem to have that "haunted house" feel from the original games. It turned out that DOOM's hell really did capture that haunted house feel, which I felt was true to the series.
I meant Haunted House in a very juvenile sense. The cheap Halloween toy scream when you open a gate and blood everywhere with barely any bodies is mostly the reason why. For it's time Doom 1/2 were legit creepy. The atmosphere was really no different than the UAC, it was just a lot more brown.

It's really uninspired. Just a bunch of brown floating in nothingness. Since Hell seems to be more of an alien dimension with its own hierarchy and history than actual "Hell," they should have gone for more of a ruined civilization theme.

Yea I felt like the lore really hurt the game here, it painted a world different than the one we got.

I definitely did not only use the shotgun. All of the weapons are good, and since weapon switching is so fast, sticking with only the shotgun really isn't efficient at all. Mancubi are annoying bullet sponges until you just gauss rocket gauss rocket and they're done, or headshot them with the chaingun's fully-upgraded sentry mode. Plasma rifle gives you the stun bomb even after its been made mostly obsolete.
If you give the pistol all of the upgrades, it's actually like a baby version of the Gauss Rifle. Not that anyone would do that, but it's still less-useless than the Doom 1-2 pistol, so that's all I can ask for.
I never used the guass or any power weapons really aside from the rocket launcher. Just never felt like I needed to. Your grenade is super SUPER strong with a gigantic AOE where 2 grenades and like 3 rocket shots can kill cyber mancubus on UV. In Doom 1/2 you HAD to use every single weapon you had, to save ammo, to clear waves, to just survive.

Since enemies are more aggressive and unpredictable than in Doom 1-2, I think they fully expected the player to take plenty of damage and so made it easier to create glory kill opportunities. You can still shoot them rather than bothering with the glory kills, but it certainly does feel like soldier zombies and imps were given 20% or so bonus health to encourage glory killing them.
I hated the zombies standing around, literally ammo wasters unless you use a grenade and it gets everyone around the corner too. Waste of time, put something that can shoot me there...

I still want that to happen, but I feel like it's a technological limitation that we can't have dozens of imps running around onscreen at once. Still, I don't see it happening even if the next game was made PC-exclusive.
With Vulkan the game can run at pretty high fps on ultra on a 970, I'll take a fps hit for more enemies.

Top Bottom