• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Update #1 Coming June 30
https://bethesda.net/#en/events/game/doom-update-1-coming-june-30th/2016/06/28/152
giphy.gif

aku:jiki

Is there a known issue/solution with controller movement on PC? I'm trying to use my 360 controller and there's this annoying thing where my guy will randomly stop/slow down, sort of like I'm stepping in and out of heavy mud or something in a game with rough terrain...except I don't think this game has rough terrain? Pretty annoying to run up to a jump only to have him slow down right at the precipice, or suddenly stopping in the middle of dodging and shooting... :(

(Messed around with all the settings I can think would apply, already tried 3 controllers and I thought about tweaking the deadzone with Durazno but I don't think that'd apply here.)

So this is the best shooter campaign I've played in years.

I'm even having fun with the multiplayer, though I hope they eventually patch in a "no loadouts, weapons placed around the map" mode.

Man, I hope fast paced shooters like this are making a comeback.

Is anyone using the latest NVIDIA drivers? I need to make sure they're stable, since I've heard too much about drivers from both companies screwing up fan speeds, clocking, and generally putting your hardware at risk.

So this is the best shooter campaign I've played in years.

I'm even having fun with the multiplayer, though I hope they eventually patch in a "no loadouts, weapons placed around the map" mode.

Man, I hope fast paced shooters like this are making a comeback.

They'd better be. But we need a new franchise instead of bringing back old names over and over.

DMTripper

Finished the campaign last night on PC and had a really good time! Only issue I had was my FPS on the 2nd to last level, but apparently it's well known. Had to put settings on low just for that section.

Haven't played mp at all and don't think I'll bother but plan to unlock all the original levels. Only found two on my play through.

nubbe

I'm enjoying the classic doom weapon position more than I thought I would... probably because it feels easier to aim when the weapon is in the center... for some reason

pa22word

Is the patch out yet?

It is on PC!

2.5 GBs

Fixes/updates:

DOOM Update #1 Release Notes

New Features and Optimizations

General
Added Classic DOOM weapon placement/view model option (all modes)

Campaign
Added Photo Mode (You’ll find the new Photo Mode toggle in the game settings. It is available through the pause menu once you are loaded into a map via Mission Select)

MP
Updated weapon balance (live as of June 10, 2016)
Clan Arena and Freeze Tag now require the winning team to complete 5 rounds in order to win the match. (live as of June 10, 2016)
Customization UI has been implemented to show all possible unlocks
Cross Style option has been added to settings for MP.

SnapMap
Added Original Author to the map info page
Added a timeout for AFK in Lobby
Added a property to allow map authors to choose if SnapMap will auto-manage (hide/show) hand-placed AI
Added Enable/Disable to Shootable Trigger
Added Sky/Window props
Added an auto-rollback to previous version for corrupted maps
Improved sorting algorithms for Most Popular map searches

Fixes

Single Player
Fixed Steam Friends’ Ultra-Nightmare Helmets not populating the map
Fixed freeze when opening weapon wheel at more than 142 FPS (PC)
Fixed quit to desktop when clicking campaign after initiating Dev Mode (PC)
Fixed “IDKFA” Trophy/Achievement not properly unlocking (all versions)
Fixed PS4 crash when reloading checkpoint in Foundry
Fixed some occurrences of the “Every Nook and Cranny” Trophy not unlocking after collecting all Doomguys (PS4)
Fixed an issue where the game required Internet access (Xbox One)

Multiplayer
Fixed crash while experiencing server connection issues (PS4)
Fixed crash when a client suspends the game while a lobby loads into a match (PS4)
Various cosmetic and gameplay fixes
Matchmaking improvements
Fix for restrictive NAT types being chosen as dedicated server lobby host
Fix for larger lobbies having longer matchmaking times
Fix for Player getting left behind if they join a friend as the lobby countdown finishes
Bug and stability fixes

SnapMap
Fixed Asian language font issues
Fixed AI pathing error with certain types of props
Fixed error where multiple maps share the same Map ID
Various map error fixes
Various logic fixes
Various stability fixes

PC-Only
Fixed Dev Mode incorrectly triggering when the user retrieves their own save data from Steam Cloud

Really curious about the Classic DOOM weapon placement and viewmodel thing.

The shotgun is fun in classic view. Assault rifle feels kind of unwieldy.
Also, why does Sentry mode have to be so useless? The chaingun already has a problem being an efficient weapon even with the incendiary rounds bonus, all Sentry mode does is make sure you're wasting more ammo even faster.

This is probably going to sound dumb, but where do you find the photo mode? I can't seem to find it in game.

It's supposed to be an option on the pause menu. I haven't checked.

kris.

Banned
just played my first multiplayer match. went 13/13, with like a minute of it being me afk getting food. that was a fucking blast. i could get sucked into this.

MortosDer

Neo Member
So, I started the game a couple of days ago on Ultra Violence. Got my ass handed to me way before
The Foundry
but managed to get there until I was forced to tone all the way down the difficulty . Today I started a new game on Hurt Me Plenty so I could show it to a friend of mine. I few minutes in and I realize this is being too easy. Went back to UV and haven't died once. Just reached
The Foundry
Well see what happens this time around.

So, I started the game a couple of days ago on Ultra Violence. Got my ass handed to me way before
The Foundry
but managed to get there until I was forced to tone all the way down the difficulty . Today I started a new game on Hurt Me Plenty so I could show it to a friend of mine. I few minutes in and I realize this is being too easy. Went back to UV and haven't died once. Just reached
The Foundry
Well see what happens this time around.

Ultra-Violence is the best difficulty, just like in the original games. Nightmare is a little too reliant on optimizing every fight and/ or spamming Glory Kills, since it turns Imp fireballs into some of the most dangerous attacks in the game.

derFeef

So I restarted the game after I got the dev mode bug (hooray it's fixed now!) and the game felt a bit more difficult to me on UV. I died like 3 times on the first level... vs. not a single one upon playing it for the first time. Did they tweak around a bit?

Moff

really like the new weapon holding

I also finished the lazarus labs without a crash so there's hoping that's fixed as well

T.O.P

Banned
The Division Expansion, SFV Update, Overwatch update, INSIDE waiting to be played, all the shit i bought on the Steam Sales

And i here i am finishing Doom for the sixth time :|

The classic weapon holding is goat

Moff

I have 5 new hidden achievements on steam, are those new?
I could have sworn I had them all except 2

aren't the hidden achievements all for story stuff? I still have those unlocked

edit: apparently they are for the new multiplayer dlc

17 hours to 100% except for those 5 new multiplayer achievements no one can get. Three crashes, all after the June 30th patch.

Pretty good game. Very glad they made it. Ultra-Violence is definitely well-balanced.

My favorite glory kill is when you rip an imp's head in half vertically while you have the berserk power up.

Dmax3901

So I'm going back through picking up everything I've missed. When it comes to the enemy gauges that you fill up as you kill demons... How does that work when going back through?

Do I have to kill everything again, or ... just the ones I missed? I'm a little confused.

Moff

So I'm going back through picking up everything I've missed. When it comes to the enemy gauges that you fill up as you kill demons... How does that work when going back through?

Do I have to kill everything again, or ... just the ones I missed? I'm a little confused.

no you have to kill everything again, it resets when you restart a mission from the mission select menu

lazygecko

The centered weapon view really suffers from the size of the guns. They just take up too much screen estate compared to the original Doom where they're further down the edge of the screen. They need to add an option to modify the Y offset or something.

zooL

Yeah I thought I would LOVE the centered view due to the retro-ness, but somehow it felt odd and I needed to switch it back to get better at the game again. ;) Still love the game like Metroid Prime 1, which happens every decade or so... please please make DOOM 2 and concentrate on the single player again!

So... guys... I actually like the multiplayer.

I mean it has major flaws. I wish the demon runes were only in certain game modes and I wish weapons were placed on the map instead of in loadouts, but I seriously have a lot of fun playing it anyway!

mokeyjoe

Yeah I thought I would LOVE the centered view due to the retro-ness, but somehow it felt odd and I needed to switch it back to get better at the game again. ;) Still love the game like Metroid Prime 1, which happens every decade or so... please please make DOOM 2 and concentrate on the single player again!

Yeah, me too. Although I always thought it was more of a nice gimmick. The guns look too long though, looks weird.

I don't know what did it, but DOOM just hit 800k sold, it's sitting at 810k actually.

Now we just wait for DOOM II.....

Seems low for a game this good.

I just reached the last boss in n hurt me plenty and it's freaking tough. I can't imagine beating this game in any harder difficulty level... :(

wwm0nkey

Seems low for a game this good.

I just reached the last boss in n hurt me plenty and it's freaking tough. I can't imagine beating this game in any harder difficulty level... :(

It's going at a very good pace, and remember this isn't just on PC, it's been over the million mark for a long time now lol

lazygecko

It's going at a very good pace, and remember this isn't just on PC, it's been over the million mark for a long time now lol

Other games like Total Warhammer and Dark Souls 3 have outsold Doom by a good margin on PC alone though. I think it just goes to show how counter-productive Bethesda's marketing has been, considering the amount of weight their company has compared to Creative Assembly/Sega and From Software/Bandai Namco.

scitek

There's no way to find the exit on the map once you've gotten to it once, is there?

After getting to it, then backtracking to find secrets I'm totally lost and can't find it again :\

mokeyjoe

There's no way to find the exit on the map once you've gotten to it once, is there?

After getting to it, then backtracking to find secrets I'm totally lost and can't find it again :

Um, kill yourself? Maybe the last checkpoint is near the exit.

Or watch a YouTube playthrough, maybe.

mcz117chief

Have they already fixed the glitch with the pistol not shooting and the terrible alpha effects for plasma rifle yet? I haven't played for a month and now I see some 2gb patch. Did they fix any of those?

edit: no, they didn't....siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh

Manu

I've been playing this almost nonstop since last Friday. I can't get over how good this game is, and I don't even usually like FPS that much. It reminds me of old shooters, not just Doom (of course,) but stuff like Quake and Unreal too. I love the movement, the speed, the verticality, the gore. It's also amazing how great it looks and runs in PS4 and how well it controls with the DS4. Usually in other games I hate arena-based design, and when you reach an area where you know enemies are gonna spawn at any time I just sigh. Here? I'm like BRING IT ON, FUCKERS, LET'S DO THIS.

I love, LOVE this game.

Multiplayer is "eh". Generic as fuck but not as bad as I was led to believe.

Top Bottom