• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age Inquisition Launch Trailer (hot) and Release Date (October 7th)

Exactly, then don't bother to do it at all. Remove the romance features and we will have ourselves a heroic story driven campaign. If they really want to include that features then better not do it halfway through.

That I can get behind. Do it properly or don't do it at all. What passes for a romantic relationship in a BioWare game is pathetic most of the time.

Do you actually need to romance in the DA series? Is it part of the story progression? Never bothered with it in ME cuz it was dumm. Haven't played DA before, the trailer looked great, I'm interested.

Aruhamel

Banned
People are actually disappointed about a possible lack of romance options? Romances are probably the worst thing to happen to Bioware's games. Not only are they cringe-inducingly awful, but they're also completely disconnected from the rest of the game (both plot-wise and thematically).

Your preference is strange. It doesn't need to be one or the other.

How is it strange to prefer playing a game as male characters when you're a male in the first place? The point of playing a game is to put yourself in the MC shoes and immerse yourself, is it not? When I play a game especially RPGs, I would like to experience the story, the world and the actions I do as my own, game is a fantasy that you live in. You get to enjoy that the way you want it and for me personally, I don't like to look at my MC and see it being female. In the end, what you find 'completely normal' is 'strange' to me :)

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Do you actually need to romance in the DA series? Is it part of the story progression? Never bothered with it in ME cuz it was dumm. Haven't played DA before, the trailer looked great, I'm interested.

just like mass effect its there if you want to do it its not mandatory

H3xum

The notion behind that is to make your character more human. The thing of it is though, if you're playing a game where you're fighting dragons, using magic, saving the galaxy from aliens etc, you've already conceded the relationship between you as a person and your character in game.

Not that I won't do the quests, but to me in a game like this, they just feel like another quest. I'm not forming a bond with my in game significant other like I would otherwise.

robo

What about the Trophies!!

There were 6 I think in origins related to romance, less in 2 IIRC, will see how many DA:I has and see if I can have 2-3 on the go at once to earn em all in one playthrough.

Renekton

People are actually disappointed about a possible lack of romance options? Romances are probably the worst thing to happen to Bioware's games. Not only are they cringe-inducingly awful, but they're also completely disconnected from the rest of the game (both plot-wise and thematically).
What passes for a romantic relationship in a BioWare game is pathetic most of the time.
I disagree, for example Alistair romance is nicely done and even has some sad ending outcomes. Maybe you guys are too highbrow or something.

Kimaka

Tali is a much better example

Liara is a perfect example. She was meant to be the 'waifu' of everyone and kept getting pushed on you even when you didn't romance her. I never understood why Tali's fans kept referring to her as shy, awkward, and virginal when Liara fit that to a tee. I played femShep and in ME1 Tali came off as a inexperienced but capable young adult that had to grow up quickly because of her father's position. I guess that shy and awkward shtick only comes out when you play mShep.

Patryn

How is it strange to prefer playing a game as male characters when you're a male in the first place? The point of playing a game is to put yourself in the MC shoes and immerse yourself, is it not? When I play a game especially RPGs, I would like to experience the story, the world and the actions I do as my own, game is a fantasy that you live in. You get to enjoy that the way you want it and for me personally, I don't like to look at my MC and see it being female. In the end, what you find 'completely normal' is 'strange' to me :)

For you, perhaps. For others, possibly not.

H3xum

David Gaider: Lead Writer at Bioware

We’re on the road to Alpha, also known as “Content Complete”. So there’s still new content being created, but at this point it’s more about dealing with the content we have and getting it all to work. This is also the stage where most of the big cuts happen, since we can still create new content to deal with those cuts (as in “change the writing to accomodate a change in the story flow”). Once we hit Alpha, cuts are generally things that are simply excised in their entirety, without any ability to really work around them for the sake of logic or flow.

The writing team is mostly out of the pool insofar as voiced dialogue goes, so the last of it can go through the pipeline and get edited, recorded and localized before being passed on to the cinematics people. At this point we’re mostly working on what we call “non-VO text” …the codex entries, item and talent descriptions, GUI text. Pretty much anything that needs words.

Still, we have to handle all bugs that come our way, and be responsive to any cuts that are occurring. This is a pretty stressful time for everyone. Every cut feels like it’s reducing the overall quality of the game, until there are so many of them you feel like you’re producing a piece of crap—until you remind yourself that every game goes through this, and the alternative is shipping late or not at all.

It’s not a process that any fan will truly understand. They’re usually oblivious to what’s going on, harping on what color the sails should be while the hull is rapidly leaking water. Which is a strange dissonance from our perspective, let me tell you.

Gets a little pee pants at the end there, but, woo alpha! Feels like they're going to have more time for polish this time around than they did for total development of DA:II

Ovek

7Member7

Bah who am I going to have a lesbian romance with?!?! Boooo!

Patryn

Gets a little pee pants at the end there, but, woo alpha! Feels like they're going to have more time for polish this time around than they did for total development of DA:II

Not quite, but close. I believe the entire development cycle of DA2 was 18 months?

wolfhowwl

Banned
Liara is a perfect example. She was meant to be the 'waifu' of everyone and kept getting pushed on you even when you didn't romance her. I never understood why Tali's fans kept referring to her as shy, awkward, and virginal when Liara fit that to a tee. I played femShep and in ME1 Tali came off as a inexperienced but capable young adult that had to grow up quickly because of her father's position. I guess that shy and awkward shtick only comes out when you play mShep.

Her fans refer to Tali like that because it is how Bioware wrote her character from ME2 on.

She wasn't much more than a walking Quarian codex in ME1 and when they wrote an actual character for her in ME2, it checked the same boxes on the nerd fantasy list as ME1 Liara.

With Liara's character being rebooted and only an NPC for ME2, it was Tali that assumed Bioware's tired virgin waifu archetype for the remainder of the series.

Kimaka

Her fans refer to Tali like that because it is how Bioware wrote her character from ME2 on.

She wasn't much more than a walking Quarian codex in ME1 and when they wrote an actual character for her in ME2, it checked the same boxes on the nerd fantasy list as ME1 Liara.

With Liara's character being rebooted and only an NPC for ME2, it was Tali that assumed Bioware's tired virgin waifu archetype for the remainder of the series.

I shouldn't have specified ME1. She came off similarly to me in 2 and 3 only that she had more experience from her travels with Shepard. I don't recall any scenes or conversations with her that justified that type of fan response to her character which is why I assumed it was locked behind the romance path. I guess that's a good thing. I usually hate those type of female characters and Tali didn't annoy me like Liara.

Liara was such a creator's pet. Really disliked that character. I personally found the Asari to be the most boring race in the series (apart from the humans), and Bioware constantly trying to nudge me into her pants made her come across as pretty insufferable to me. That, and the fact that you don't really get the chance to be a total asshole towards her like most of your other squadmates (except in the first one where you can make some douchey remarks when she scans you).

And I didn't experience any of that Tali fanboy bait that people tend to talk about. Probably because I never bothered romancing her.

Squire

Banned

And with that, you prove his point exactly.

Ridesh

Banned
New screenshots

Emprise Du Lion in the highlands of Dale:

tumblr_n53zizFz6Z1s47q9to2_1280.jpg

tumblr_n53zizFz6Z1s47q9to3_1280.jpg

tumblr_n53zizFz6Z1s47q9to4_1280.jpg

tumblr_n53zizFz6Z1s47q9to5_1280.jpg

tumblr_n53zizFz6Z1s47q9to6_1280.jpg

bbwt3fB.jpg

tumblr_n53zizFz6Z1s47q9to1_1280.jpg

mid83

I have DA:O Ultimate Edition with all the DLC and DA2 sitting on my PC backlog for a long time now. Are these games worth visiting prior to this one coming this fall?

JayEH

I have DA:O Ultimate Edition with all the DLC and DA2 sitting on my PC backlog for a long time now. Are these games worth visiting prior to this one coming this fall?

Origins for sure. 2 is a big letdown compared to Origins but it can still be somewhat enjoyable.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

Origins is a tremendous slog that was pretty creaky when it was released and has not aged well at all. I finally sat down and played through it 100% with DLC just to get it out of my backlog last year and my opinion of it has not improved any. I have DA2 but have not attempted it seriously yet.

BouncyFrag

DA Origins is one if my all time favorite games. It just depends on what your taste is. DA2 was a disappointment but in the end I was glad of the time I spent with it.

DA Origins is one if my all time favorite games. It just depends on what your taste is. DA2 was a disappointment but in the end I was glad of the time I spent with it.

I enjoyed both DA games so far, but Origins was superior. I think they made a mistake when they tried to make the second game appeal to a bigger audience. Not that it wasn't a decent idea from a business perspective, but RPGs are always going to be a niche genre, so you're better off doing your best to please your core audience.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member

Date sims are the new cRPG.

cRPGs are the new night clubs.

Ovek

7Member7
Origins for sure. 2 is a big letdown compared to Origins but it can still be somewhat enjoyable.

I don't really know what the big deal about 2 was, I know the art direction was junk but I think that was more of a byproduct of cramming it into consoles coupled with a stupidly short development time.

There was nothing wrong with the main story or the companions
(you can kill Anders after all)

Hypron

This looks interesting. I really liked the first game, but I didn't feel like playing the second one at all even before all the user reviews dropped.

Graphically it looks good but not great (the character's faces in particular don't look too hot), but that's not really important. The combat looks quite dynamic, which isn't a bad thing (although, I really liked the strategic nature of the DAO combats). I might get the game at some point.

I don't really know what the big deal about 2 was, I know the art direction was junk but I think that was more of a byproduct of cramming it into consoles coupled with a stupidly short development time.

There was nothing wrong with the main story or the companions
(you can kill Anders after all)

The reused areas, the confined space, the passage of time (why can't I do mercenary work for a year to increase my reputation) and some of the plot required knowing your companions better. I didn't care for Anders so his actions were unexpected, and if you didn't talk to Isabela the Qunari plot wouldn't make much sense either.

I did think though that the combat was better and it didn't look that bad graphically speaking.

Ridesh

Banned
"The Dalish elves call it the "Emerald Graves" for the trees that now represent lives sacrificed in battle."

1947947_688105411238862_628275098526912976_n.jpg

Patryn

Origins is a tremendous slog that was pretty creaky when it was released and has not aged well at all. I finally sat down and played through it 100% with DLC just to get it out of my backlog last year and my opinion of it has not improved any. I have DA2 but have not attempted it seriously yet.

If you felt Origins was a slog and didn't enjoy it, I wouldn't even bother booting DA2.

Ridesh

Banned
They have pics of some of the Deluxe Edition bonuses in the Origin store.

I lol'd at the Bog Unicorn being some kind of undead horse

215.0x215.0.png

Skyhold Throne:

215.0x215.0.png

Red Hart Halla:

215.0x215.0.png

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Sorry, I've not paying attention, but I assume this game also support imported save? Then for the next gen version, I also assume that this involves uploading/downloading saves from the cloud then?

Patryn

Sorry, I've not paying attention, but I assume this game also support imported save? Then for the next gen version, I also assume that this involves uploading/downloading saves from the cloud then?
You assume incorrectly.

It will utilize a web site called Dragon Age Keep, which will allow you to set what decisions you want for previous games. That, and not actual saves, is what will be imported.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
You assume incorrectly.

It will utilize a web site called Dragon Age Keep, which will allow you to set what decisions you want for previous games. That, and not actual saves, is what will be imported.

Oh? Then I assume you access the website from the console/game themselves?

That's a rather........ unorthodox way of doing things. Is this true even for the PS3/Xbox360 version?

Skunkers

Nobody's wrong in that equation really. I understand and respect where you're coming from. Given the option, in a third person game I'll usually roll female; if I'm going to stare at someone's ass for 40 hours, it may as well be a chick.

Squire

Banned
Oh? Then I assume you access the website from the console/game themselves?

That's a rather........ unorthodox way of doing things. Is this true even for the PS3/Xbox360 version?

Other than from your consoles own web browser, no. You have to go to the site seperately and log in with your Origin ID.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Other than from your consoles own web browser, no. You have to go to the site seperately and log in with your Origin ID.

Oh... so technically I do not even have to own the previous games and yet I can still dictate what plot points that I wish to apply on Inquisition so long as I connect Inquisition to this Keep?

Interesting.

fedexpeon

Banned
Dang, I hope they don't continue to promote the game with the MC wearing that crappy looking scrub helmet.

Anyway...what the hell is going on with the story with DA nowadays?
Grey Warden/Hawke are missing, and just simply vanish from the face of the world.
How can Hawke, "the most important man" in the DA universe, going to play as a support character in the next sequel? You can't call Kawke the most important man if you are playing another main character to discover what is happening with the world, and finding out what happen to the Grey Warden and himself.

Meh, the new main character already makes me dislike the game....I can't believe I didn't notice the awful helmet design from the old promo cover from months ago =/.
Yes, I am whining about how crappy the helmet design is. I just don't understand why the producer would okay such a crappy art design for their new main to wear.
This is even worse than the cliche bald head marine look for MC.

Ridesh

Banned
Dang, I hope they don't continue to promote the game with the MC wearing that crappy looking scrub helmet.

Anyway...what the hell is going on with the story with DA nowadays?
Grey Warden/Hawke are missing, and just simply vanish from the face of the world.
How can Hawke, "the most important man" in the DA universe, going to play as a support character in the next sequel? You can't call Kawke the most important man if you are playing another main character to discover what is happening with the world, and finding out what happen to the Grey Warden and himself.

Meh, the new main character already makes me dislike the game....I can't believe I didn't notice the awful helmet design from the old promo cover from months ago =/.
Yes, I am whining about how crappy the helmet design is. I just don't understand why the producer would okay such a crappy art design for their new main to wear.
This is even worse than the cliche bald head marine look for MC.

Dude, you have 4 races to choose a character from. That's just the generic human character to promote the game to the masses.

T

TrueMenace

Unconfirmed Member
I hope this game is not shallow. I need depth in my RPGs like Dark Souls 1/2, Baldur's Gate, and Dragon Age Origins.

Not hit "A" to win like Dragon Age 2...please don't have mindless gameplay and mechanics like that game.

Braag

Dude, you have 4 races to choose a character from. That's just the generic human character to promote the game to the masses.

At least Shepard and Hawke had their iconic faces.

5sK.jpg

6sK.jpg

This guy is a helmet.

That's just nitpicking tho. I'm really excited for this game.

BTW they said the MC will be voiced (thankfully) but since there's 4 races to choose from plus choosing a gender. That's 8 different type of characters you can create. From what I've read they will have 2 different voices for the male and female.
So they will have to record all the MC dialogue 4 times. Either they decided to break the bank or the MC doesn't talk as much as say Hawke does in DA2.

fedexpeon

Banned

Talking about the crappy helmet design that they are using to promote the game with.
The helmet is all over the DA page as an iconic object for the game like the Iron Throne for GoT.
Even Prince can't save how awful the helmet is.
And if Prince can't make that helmet fabulous, I don't know how these 4 generic races will save the design.

Top Bottom