• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: The Veil Guard Reveal Trailer (Fall 2024)| Xbox Showcase

Interfectum

What’s the message? That people who aren’t straight get to *exist* in popular culture?

Do you think that we should just never be seen or heard of?
Imagine if a new hero shooter came out and instead of pronouns in every character's bio, there was bible scripture instead. Imagine 3-4 of the new games announced had a devout, straight white male as the main character and the plot involved faith and marriage with children. How many meltdowns do you think we'd see in the wider gaming industry?

But nope, now the vocal minority gets their identity politics shoved into every pop culture related piece of entertainment now. It's all over video games (gay black female is quickly becoming the new norm) and in mainstream series like Marvel and Star Wars.

No one is saying trans people should never been seen or heard from but there is a massive amount of over-representation to the point where the core audience is sick of it. To someone who is not trans, pronouns and gender indentity subplots are as boring as watching content about the nuclear family raising three children.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.

wonder if they brought the ladies back for another visit after Anthem turned out so well.

jFaNUiy.png

unGF2L6.png

bBPfFI1.png

Last edited:

LectureMaster

Gold Member

Oh the tears on this forum when the game is actually really good. There is a full gameplay reveal in a few days

Honestly, I loved the Dragon Age series so much that I would more than happy to be proven wrong. If the game turns out to be good I'll buy a deluxe edition. The Dragon Age's world settings and lores are one of the most interesting ones among all fantasy games.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Now THIS looks great

That's what the screenshots on the store look like.

I don't expect this game to be great or anything, but it might be a case of just having literally the worst possible trailer of all time when the game isn't as bad.

YuLY

Just a reminder that Shinobi602 was also praising Mass Effect Andromeda to high heavens before release, cause he got some behind the scenes previews.
yep, i remember that. I personally find Andromeda to be a good game still (the current patched version), but one that does not compare to the original trilogy (first 2 MEs are my fav game of all time).

I honestly feel like this will end Bioware and they wont even get to make the next Mass Effect. The fact that Avowed seems to launch in the same period and give them competition will only make things worse.

Zathalus

Now THIS looks great

That does look better. Let's see what the full gameplay reveal holds. Could be a case of marketing trying to make the game look cool and chasing the latest fad, like that terrible Origins trailer.

Last edited:

Stafford

Visually that gameplay bit looks quite nice. Now let's see combat!

Hopefully they didn't pull some stupid bullshit story and characters wise.

StereoVsn

Just a reminder that Shinobi602 was also praising Mass Effect Andromeda to high heavens before release, cause he got some behind the scenes previews.
Yeah, his taste in games isn’t too high, lol. Mind you I don’t think he shills, but he gets excited for this stuff no matter how bad it may be.

Humdinger

Gold Member
I could not put my finger on it, but I think PC gamer has done a decent job of pointing out why the reveal looks so ridiculous.

Has Dragon Age lost its identity, or am I just being grumpy about BioWare’s new take on it?

Yeah, he describes it well. A few excerpts:

What is going on with the trailer's cartoony, Pixar-lite art style? Or the cheesy freeze frame superhero-style intros? Or the nonchalant-at-best, outright-comedy-at-worst, general tone? ...

[This trailer] has a palpable sense of tween, with super hero-style cartoon characters engaging in technicolour feats of zero-threat heroism or hilarity. .... we get a comical eyes-bulging, mouth-opened shocked face instead of any sense that any of this actually matters. Ha! Ah, I'm sure she'll be alright guys.

Or there's that moment, also played for laughs, when a cartoony glowy eyed skeleton ambushes two unaware warriors from behind. Ha ha! He's behind you! Or the bit where the unamed hero player character is jumped on by 10 guards at once in a pile-on, and then all the guards are crushed by a falling chandelier, but the hero emerges unscathed. Ha ha… ha.

... this game was clearly not made for me, but for gamers much, much younger than me, with an affinity for hero shooters and superhero movies.

I didn't catch all that the first time I watched it. I've watched it a second time, though, and I see now what people were so turned off by.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

I could not put my finger on it, but I think PC gamer has done a decent job of pointing out why the reveal looks so ridiculous.

Has Dragon Age lost its identity, or am I just being grumpy about BioWare’s new take on it?

Yeah, they definitely are going for the Fortnite crowd on the marketing. I wonder if the game has the same feel.
Oh, for sure. This could be next “Overwatch at home” hero shooter and nobody would even blink at that.

The issue is that it’s completely wrong audience. They basically have jettisoned their core players to go after Hero Shooter Genre for the “Modern Audience”… which will never work because that’s not the people generally interested in SP RPGs.

Well, unless you are Larian and you made BG3, and this is far, far away from being BG3.

This trailer looked like they were selling a Multiplayer MMORPG with shitty Fortnite type fantasy characters. Not exactly what I was expecting from Dragon Age. Bioware is such a shell of it's former self

Sad Rain GIF by WE tv

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
I enjoyed Inquisition and thought it was pretty fun (my first Dragon Age so nothing to compare it to) but this looked extremely off putting. Art style, characters, atmosphere, everything just looks like some dollar store Fantasy tailor made for gen z and tik tokers. Maybe the actual game will look better but I have doubts.

I worked on this game about 5-6 years ago as a freelance storyboard artist. The head of story is every bit the blue hair feminist you think they are. I was explicitly told to avoid the "male gaze" in some of the infamous Bioware scenes of bodily intimacy.
Haven't worked on a video game storyboard since so I'm not some kind of insider but I wonder if anything I did made it in.

Bojji

Gold Member
LOL, absolute trash. Can't tell difference between this and some random Overwatch/Fortnite character.

Only thing decent from Bioware since ME3 (maybe DEI? I didn't play it) was ME remaster, other than that all their productions were shit. I was hyped for ME4 but after this my hype level is -100.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
They said the same thing about Cyberpunk 2007, dont trust vertical slices made to imrpess journos
Truth.

I need to see it myself, but unlike CDPR, EA generally gives out those reviews prior to release and allows them to use that footage, so we'll see.

Last edited:

GHG

Oh the tears on this forum when the game is actually really good. There is a full gameplay reveal in a few days

I enjoyed Inquisition and thought it was pretty fun (my first Dragon Age so nothing to compare it to) but this looked extremely off putting. Art style, characters, atmosphere, everything just looks like some dollar store Fantasy tailor made for gen z and tik tokers. Maybe the actual game will look better but I have doubts.
My guy, MY GUY, do yourself a HUGE favor and go play dragon age origins

Ok so it wasn’t just me? I knew something really looked off with that trailer. This isn’t the same Dragon Age obviously, but that wasn’t what I was expecting.

So what do you guys think for release date? I feel the last two weeks of September would be the sweet spot in terms of separation from other big games and a good time of year to find success. But I’m not sure if the game will be ready that soon. I could see it being as late as third week of November.

Last edited:
Top Bottom