• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 11 Announced! [PS4/3DS (simultaneous), NX (tentative)]

I've seen enough of the 3DS version to know it appeals to me. It's the 'throwback' anniversary title, while the PS4 version looks like the modern take on DQ . I wish they showed battles in the PS4 version - it better be turn based ;_;
I have been looking for something to play on my 3DS since I've had my time with Fire Emblem, which would you suggest from 4, 5 and 6?
IV -> V -> VI. Play the Zenithian trilogy in order!

Celine

There has never been a western console release of DQ during 7th gen right?
Because I think the last two DQ I played were on the PS2.

This should be a game changer if there is a western PS4 release.
Not mainline since IX was for DS and X was actually a MMROPG though Wii got Dragon Quest Swords which was a competent spinoff:

b8dNVcq.jpg

Fehyd

Banned
Square enix really seems to be interested in making an effort in the console space. The different between SE and Konami is dammed staggering.

Philippo

The 2D/3D thing on the 3DS version is cool, but isn't having both at the same time kinda pointless, mechanic wise?
I mean, it doesn't look to add any particular gameplay solutions.
I would prefer a toggle.

test_account

XP-39C²
True. DQ11 in both classic & portable style at the same time?

Can't have that on a single screen portable at all.
You can apply a Monkey Island remake method by switching graphics styles on the fly. Or use the 2DS method of having two seperate pictures on one screen.

AniHawk

The 2D/3D thing on the 3DS version is cool, but isn't having both at the same time kinda pointless, mechanic wise?
I would prefer a toggle.

the 2d part can give an overview of the world while the 3d part could house secrets. i haven't played enough 2d dq, but you know how in snes and psx rpgs you could click on 'blank' areas and find things? maybe those could be 'invisible' in 2d but apparent in 3d.

this is actually something i wanted out of a zelda game, but figured it would have been too complex. i can't believe the good folks at enix actually did it, the miraculous bastards.

Blue Dragon and the Last remnant is one of my favorite RPGs :(
Tales of vesperia is one of the best tales games too.
Crystal bearers is subjective but i liked it. The list i used actually contains some of my favorite games :(

I am going to replay Blue Dragon now :(

EDIT just reread
And you are comparing the entire last gen !? I haven even start to add tales of grace , Xenoblade etc .

You and i have a totally different taste in JRPG and i consider my taste varied too :(
You might be the first person I've ever heard that thinks last gen is anywhere near PS2/1 era. I think even 08 and 09 was solid but hardly that impressive.

Nesther

Absolutely sure Sony will ensure a localization.

Not so sure about the 3DS version, but I'd love to experience the game with that 3D/sprite contrast going on. Nintendo might work out something, but I'm not optimistic at the moment.

Links_fantasy

Awesome news and they seem different enough that I'll get both, assuming the '3DS one comes over. Plus they cover their bases by making a version for the dominant console in Japan.

I would prefer a toggle.

I think it offers enough presentation wise to warrant having ot be there simultaneously.

BadWolf

Absolutely sure Sony will ensure a localization.

Not so sure about the 3DS version, but I'd love to experience the game with that 3D/sprite contrast going on. Nintendo might work out something, but I'm not optimistic at the moment.

If DQH is getting localized for PS4 then a new mainline entry is pretty much a given.

- FF XIV
- FF XV
- FF VII Remake
- Kingdom Hearts III
- Nier 2
- Dragon Quest X
- Dragon Quest XI
- Dragon Quest Heroes
- Persona 5
- Exist Archive: The Other Side of the Sky
- Tales of Zestiria
- Tales of Berseria
- Ys 8
- Star Ocean 5
- Disgaea 5
- Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
- New Vanillaware project
- Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth
- Project SETSUNA
- Yoru no Nai Kuni
- World of Final Fantasy

(missed something?)

On top of niche PS3/Vita stuff like Trails of Cold Steel and Lost Dimension.

JRPG IS BACK

Japan is slowly returning to form. No doubt TGS will have cool stuff from Capcom and Sega (PSO2 PS4 and Phantasy Star Reboot pls).

Honestly, never thought I'd see such a list for the PS4. Not now, not in the future. But here it is.

DieH@rd

Banned
I think I tried that once, but had terrible sound issues and the performance wasn't too hot. I just think I'll ask friends for a PS2..

The ideal situation would be if SE woul localize it on 3ds for EU.

I don't know when you tried it or what kind of PC you have, but PCSX2 has advanced tremendously over its lifetime.

Robin64

DQIX was originally an ARPG. There was a lot of outrage about that, Horii didn't like the prototypes, etc, so they had to the delay the game a couple of years past the planned 2007 release date to completely overhaul the game with a more traditional turn-based battle system.

Looks to me like Fantasy Life was actually Level-5 going on to make the ARPG they initially wanted with DQIX, then. Kinda neat.

Shouta

the 2d part can give an overview of the world while the 3d part could house secrets. i haven't played enough 2d dq, but you know how in snes and psx rpgs you could click on 'blank' areas and find things? maybe those could be 'invisible' in 2d but apparent in 3d.

this is actually something i wanted out of a zelda game, but figured it would have been too complex. i can't believe the good folks at enix actually did it, the miraculous bastards.

Something like this for the 3DS version would be highly welcome to make-up for the fact you can't search for secret treasures and stuff like you will be able to in the PS4 version.

sphinx

the piano man
probably asked and answered ad nauseum:

what is the difference between the 3ds game and the PS4 game? Is it two identical games with different aesthetics?? or is it 2 different takes on the same story??

both seem to be tailor-made for their respective consoles so I can't imagine the two games feeling or being the same experience,

Japan is soooo gonna double-dip on this

KingBroly

Banned
probably asked and answered ad nauseum:

what is the difference between the 3ds game and the PS4 game? Is it two identical games with different aesthetics?? or is it 2 different takes on the same story??

both seem to be tailor-made for their respective consoles so I can't imagine the two games feeling or being the same experience,

Japan is soooo gonna double-dip on this

It's the former.

And I doubt Japan's going to double dip en mass, as it's clear shiny graphics aren't a big thing to them when you look at hardware sales.

OuterLimits

Call me crazy, but I'm more excited for the 3DS version. Loved the look of the game. Plus, I prefer playing RPGs on the go. Will probably still get the PS4 or NX version eventually as well. Assuming the 3DS version comes to the west. I will be bummed if it doesn't.

xaszatm

Banned
The problem is who takes the publishing duties.Nintendo won´t do that for 3ds that is for sure.Sony for ps4 is not impossible.

Didn't Nintendo help with DQIX and the Braverly Default games? I don't see how you're so confident that Nintendo won't help localization here. It's a mainline Dragonquest game and doesn't even suffer DQX's MMO status. Why wouldn't Nintendo attempt to bring it over?

Spiegel

sörine;173244156 said:
DQIX was originally a real-time action RPG but due to fan outcry SE delayed and reworked it into a turn based traditional rpg.

The other day someone (maybe it was Aeana) posted that it was because Hori played the demos and didn't find the game fun, not because of fan outcry.

bon

I figured it would be multiplat but PS4/3DS/NX is not quite what I was expecting! So this is the first officially announced NX game, isn't it? Awesome.

AgeEighty

And on the emulator you can crank up the resolution to 3x - 4x native resolution, add 16xAF, add some MSAA and other such like that. It looks glorious.

iXL2WMrsE1MK3.png

The game definitely looks beautiful in PCSX2 with enhancements turned on; in fact aside from the 2D elements it looks practically like an HD remake would.

I get a couple of nasty glitches with it though, even though I'm running an i7 2600K/GTX 970. The worst of these is a black box around the characters' weapons.

OmegaDL50

Console version of DQXI have the same combat as the 3DS version, but perhaps better presented and such. I don't them to follow Ni No Kuni's route of making it half ass real time + commands.

I've seen enough of the 3DS version to know it appeals to me. It's the 'throwback' anniversary title, while the PS4 version looks like the modern take on DQ . I wish they showed battles in the PS4 version - it better be turn based ;_;

IV -> V -> VI. Play the Zenithian trilogy in order!

Guys...this is a mainline Dragon Quest game, I really don't think this is going to be an issue.

Remember Horii said that ARPG DQ titles will be branded under the DQ Heroes label, He has said that DQ XI will be a traditional Dragon Quest game.

So does this mean NX can run Unreal Engine 4? That would be a huge thing if it can since that means KH 3 could also be ported to NX too.

khaaan

Will probably double dip but I really don't see the appeal in the "hook" of the 3DS version unless there's more to it. At the very least I definitely don't understand what people are seeing when they throw around the words "clever" or "genius". I think the only way I'd really be okay with it is if it ties into the "Time" aspect of the title and the two screens aren't actually presenting the same game with different visuals.

The Lamp

What's going on? Why sudden SE announcements? Are they having a press conference and if so where can I keep up with announcements?

Will probably double dip but I really don't see the appeal in the "hook" of the 3DS version unless there's more to it. At the very least I definitely don't understand what people are seeing when they throw around the words "clever" or "genius". I think the only way I'd really be okay with it is if it ties into the "Time" aspect of the title and the two screens aren't actually presenting the same game with different visuals.

the clever part is having a new age looking DQ, 3D based on the top screen and at the same time you have a classic looking 16-bit era DQ on the bottom screen, running at the same time and in the same areas and such.

It is pretty darn clever.

massoluk

Banned

Uh.. I like to play Dragon Quest on portable, aside from dual 2d/3d gimmicks

udivision

So does this mean NX can run Unreal Engine 4? That would be a huge thing if it can since that means KH 3 could also be ported to NX too.

It's a bit wishful thinking, (not to mention a 180 from this gen) but if SE sees value in putting these games on the Xbox One, then maybe they feel NX ports would be worth it too.

Are we really questioning a localisation? I mean if DQ heroes is coming to the west why wouldn't the mainline game?

Nothing is ever a slam dunk in the localisation world.
I mean, localization. Gotta localize.

bon

the clever part is having a new age looking DQ, 3D based on the top screen and at the same time you have a classic looking 16-bit era DQ on the bottom screen, running at the same time and in the same areas and such.

It is pretty darn clever.

Yeah that is really neat. It makes me want to play both versions of the game.

Top Bottom