• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 11 Announced! [PS4/3DS (simultaneous), NX (tentative)]

Mr. RPG

People assume that XI is a done deal in terms of localization just because we are getting Heroes?

Has anyone here ever played a Dragon Quest game before? Why do I have to constantly remind you guys that we haven't had a non-mobile Dragon Quest game in the west since 2011?

If anyone is going to be publishing this game it will be Nintendo and/or Sony.

Vena

People assume that XI is a done deal in terms of localization just because we are getting Heroes?

Has anyone here ever played a Dragon Quest game before? Why do I have to constantly remind you guys that we haven't had a non-mobile Dragon Quest game in the west since 2011?

And then one or the other will buy the publishing and localization rights.

fates

Well, there's always the chance things will change. Their social media campaign has been pretty good of late.

I assume it's a done deal because the new president of Square has a completely different mentality compared to Wada. Heroes being brought over is telling because Koei would've gladly picked that up, but instead Square is doing it on their own. The platform choice is also telling with this game. The 3DS insures that it'll get the usual sales for the series in Japan while the PS4 opens it up to the west.

Myself and a few people have said this already, but and expensive looking PS4 version probably wouldn't exist unless Square Enix was loozing overseas for more sales. It doesn't exactly look like it's going to be cheap to develop, and certainly not cheap enough to justify keeping it locked down to an install Base that is still minus 2 million, when there are a further 20 million users worldwide to sell to.

Some people maybe. I assume DQXI will get a western release because SE's decision to make an open, high-profile, and more expensive version for the sub-Wii U/Vita userbase of the PS4 in Japan makes zero sense otherwise.

Mr. RPG

People keep clamoring Square-Enix "is back" when there's still many great Dragon Quest games that we haven't gotten.

Yeah, I'm bitter. Square-Enix won't localize any of other games that isn't Final Fantasy and it is really frustrating. Not even Final Fantasy games seem to be a sure thing anymore. We still don't have Explorers.

People keep clamoring Square-Enix "is back" when there's still many great Dragon Quest games that we haven't gotten.

Yeah, I'm bitter. Square-Enix won't localize any of other games that isn't Final Fantasy and it is really frustrating. Not even Final Fantasy games seem to be a sure thing anymore. We still don't have Explorers.

An HD remaster of DQ 8 on the PS4 would be awesome.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
It's a bit wishful thinking, (not to mention a 180 from this gen) but if SE sees value in putting these games on the Xbox One, then maybe they feel NX ports would be worth it too.

Nothing is ever a slam dunk in the localisation world.
I mean, localization. Gotta localize.
SE actually has a strong KH fanbase on nintendo consoles, there was basically no reason KH3 would skip the WiiU at the time exempt for the aforementioned hardware limitations. Hell if it wasent for all the HD remasters it would be nintendo that would have the most KH games.

Yeah, I'm bitter. Square-Enix won't localize any of other games that isn't Final Fantasy

And Kingdom Hearts. And Star Ocean. And Nier/Drag-on-Dragoon. And whatever Setsuna is. And of course DQ Heroes.

I wonder when people are going to start to notice that all the games they aren't localizing are for handhelds...

I assume it's a done deal because the new president of Square has a completely different mentality compared to Wada. Heroes being brought over is telling because Koei would've gladly picked that up, but instead Square is doing it on their own. The platform choice is also telling with this game. The 3DS insures that it'll get the usual sales for the series in Japan while the PS4 opens it up to the west.
I like it this way. PS3 peasants in Japan time to spend that money. -_-

Cow Goes Moo said:
ni no kuni 2 and probably some sce funded game if i were to guess
I would guess it`s one of those two, not both. That sounds too good to be true.

Go_Ly_Dow

- FF XIV
- FF XV
- FF VII Remake
- Kingdom Hearts III
- Nier 2
- Dragon Quest X
- Dragon Quest XI
- Dragon Quest Heroes 1 & 2
- Shenmue 3
- Persona 5
- Exist Archive: The Other Side of the Sky
- Tales of Zestiria
- Tales of Berseria
- Ys 8
- Star Ocean 5
- Disgaea 5
- Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
- New Vanillaware project
- Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth
- Project SETSUNA
- Yoru no Nai Kuni
- World of Final Fantasy
- Yakuza 5
- Trailers in the Sky 2
- The Last Guardian
- Level 5 RPG
- Other announced things
- Dark Souls 3

Hold me duckroll. hold me someone. hold me tight.

AgeEighty

Oh thank god you're here to lay some hard truth on all of us mindless peons!

Except nobody was saying that. Heroes is just an indication that S-E still feels the West is a viable market for Dragon Quest; nothing more. And it's not exactly a quiet release, either: they're going the Collector's Edition route with it and all.

As for "haven't had a non-mobile DQ game since 2011", why are you pretending that their refusal to release a trio of fairly niche spinoff titles in the West, plus an MMO, has any bearing at all on the odds of getting a mainline entry localized? Aside from that MMO, it's been 25 years since the last time S-E failed to release a first release mainline DQ game in the West.

Stop pretending you know more than everybody else; you're guessing like all of us.

- FF XIV
- FF XV
- FF VII Remake
- Kingdom Hearts III
- Nier 2
- Dragon Quest X
- Dragon Quest XI
- Dragon Quest Heroes
- Persona 5
- Tales of Zestiria
- Tales of Berseria
- Ys 8
- Star Ocean 5
- Disgaea 5
- Project SETSUNA
- Yoru no Nai Kuni
- World of Final Fantasy
- Yakuza 5
- Trailers in the Sky 2
- The Last Guardian
- Level 5 RPG
- Other announced things

Haha, this is indeed crazy.

I would have been happy if it was Level 5 developing the game; 8 and 9 are two of my favorite RPGs of all time and I think Level 5 does exceptional work most of the time.

Still very excited. I've been craving a console dragonquest ever since 8 finished.

GunBR

And since 2009 we only had one mainline DQ game, and it was an MMO

orochi91

- FF XIV
- FF XV
- FF VII Remake
- Kingdom Hearts III
- Nier 2
- Dragon Quest X
- Dragon Quest XI
- Persona 5
- Tales of Zestiria
- Tales of Berseria
- Ys 8
- Star Ocean 5
- Disgaea 5
- Project SETSUNA
- Yoru no Nai Kuni
- World of Final Fantasy
- Yakuza 5
- Trailers in the Sky 2
- The Last Guardian
- Level 5 RPG
- Other announced things

So damn good, PS4 is absurdly stacked.

I hope most JP devs adopt UE4, as it seems to help get shit done faster and looks fantastic as well.

- FF XIV
- FF XV
- FF VII Remake
- Kingdom Hearts III
- Nier 2
- Dragon Quest X
- Dragon Quest XI
- Persona 5
- Tales of Zestiria
- Tales of Berseria
- Ys 8
- Star Ocean 5
- Disgaea 5
- Project SETSUNA
- Yoru no Nai Kuni
- World of Final Fantasy
- Yakuza 5
- Trailers in the Sky 2
- The Last Guardian
- Level 5 RPG
- Other announced things

SCNLyPY.gif

ready

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
- FF XIV
- FF XV
- FF VII Remake
- Kingdom Hearts III
- Nier 2
- Dragon Quest X
- Dragon Quest XI
- Persona 5
- Tales of Zestiria
- Tales of Berseria
- Ys 8
- Star Ocean 5
- Disgaea 5
- Project SETSUNA
- Yoru no Nai Kuni
- World of Final Fantasy
- Yakuza 5
- Trailers in the Sky 2
- The Last Guardian
- Level 5 RPG
- Other announced things

I like video games again :)

silva1991

- FF XIV
- FF XV
- FF VII Remake
- Kingdom Hearts III
- Nier 2
- Dragon Quest X
- Dragon Quest XI
- Persona 5
- Tales of Zestiria
- Tales of Berseria
- Ys 8
- Star Ocean 5
- Disgaea 5
- Project SETSUNA
- Yoru no Nai Kuni
- World of Final Fantasy
- Yakuza 5
- Trailers in the Sky 2
- The Last Guardian
- Level 5 RPG
- Other announced things

Why are games like DQ heroes, Yakuza 5 and The Last guardian are on this list even though they are not RPGs but not Bloodborne or the Dark Souls 3? :/

Cess007

- FF XIV
- FF XV
- FF VII Remake
- Kingdom Hearts III
- Nier 2
- Dragon Quest X
- Dragon Quest XI
- Persona 5
- Tales of Zestiria
- Tales of Berseria
- Ys 8
- Star Ocean 5
- Disgaea 5
- Project SETSUNA
- Yoru no Nai Kuni
- World of Final Fantasy
- Yakuza 5
- Trailers in the Sky 2
- The Last Guardian
- Level 5 RPG
- Other announced things

a66f9d4524d61971bd61d48323253a73.gif

Is that poor dog having a seizure?

It's a dog trying to mate with it's bed i think lol

Why are games like DQ heroes, Yakuza 5 and The Last guardian are on this list even though they are not RPGs but not Bloodborne or the Dark Souls 3? :/

Well, Bloodbourne is out already (and Yakuza 5 is yet to be out on NA); so i guess it's a list of upcoming japanese-made games for NA. No idea why DS3 is missing tho :p

Terrell

- FF XIV
- FF XV
- FF VII Remake
- Kingdom Hearts III
- Nier 2
- Dragon Quest X
- Dragon Quest XI
- Persona 5
- Tales of Zestiria
- Tales of Berseria
- Ys 8
- Star Ocean 5
- Disgaea 5
- Project SETSUNA
- Yoru no Nai Kuni
- World of Final Fantasy
- Yakuza 5
- Trailers in the Sky 2
- The Last Guardian
- Level 5 RPG
- Other announced things

I'm so glad Japan gave up on that backwards notion that Western gamers just abruptly stopped wanting JRPGs and Japanese styled games in general after the end of the PS2 era and started making the games that they're great at making again.

Oh thank god you're here to lay some hard truth on all of us mindless peons!

Except nobody was saying that. Heroes is just an indication that S-E still feels the West is a viable market for Dragon Quest; nothing more. And it's not exactly a quiet release, either: they're going the Collector's Edition route with it and all.

As for "haven't had a non-mobile DQ game since 2011", why are you pretending that their refusal to release a trio of fairly niche spinoff titles in the West, plus an MMO, has any bearing at all on the odds of getting a mainline entry localized? Aside from that MMO, it's been 25 years since the last time S-E failed to release a first release mainline DQ game in the West.

Stop pretending you know more than everybody else; you're guessing like all of us.

While I have no doubt DQXI will be localized, VII and VIII on 3DS are far from "niche" titles in the DQ franchise and lol at calling them spinoffs. VII in particular is a full-blown remake.

People have every right to be wary of more DQ in the west. I don't think they should be, but it's not some ridiculous feeling for someone to have like you're implying here and have been in multiple DQ threads.

Scrawnton

Now, since PS4 is region free, I am going to import the game from Japan the moment it is released and still buy it in english. I have gone way too long without a new Dragon Quest. I have played 1, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9 to completion and am currently working on 2 then 3 on iOS. I want this game as soon as possible.

orochi91

Is that poor dog having a seizure?

I believe so.

Last time this GIF came up in a Reddit thread, people were pointing out that the dog likely suffers from some sort of medical condition.

Might be bullshit, but that doesn't seem like normal behaviour at all for a dog.

Go_Ly_Dow

Added DS3. Not Bloodborne tho as it is already out worldwide.

This list is more so about the rise of Japanese console games expected to be from now until the end of 2017. Also I would classify Yakuza as a RPG series myself.

We need a new thread collating all these games!

Mcdohl

- FF XIV
- FF XV
- FF VII Remake
- Kingdom Hearts III
- Nier 2
- Dragon Quest X
- Dragon Quest XI
- Persona 5
- Tales of Zestiria
- Tales of Berseria
- Ys 8
- Star Ocean 5
- Disgaea 5
- Project SETSUNA
- Yoru no Nai Kuni
- World of Final Fantasy
- Yakuza 5
- Trailers in the Sky 2
- The Last Guardian
- Level 5 RPG
- Other announced things
- Dark Souls 3

Missing released stuff like Bloodborne, FFX/X-2 HD, FF Type-0 and...
EPISODE DUSCAE

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
What if the NX is a new and improved controller for the WiiU with a built in chipset that allows it to play 3DS games natively? Stream WiiU games over long distances, similar to the Vita/PS4 combo, and play 3DS games on the go.

The NX could be getting the 3DS version.

What if the NX is a new and improved controller for the WiiU with a built in chipset that allows it to play 3DS games natively? Stream WiiU games over long distances, similar to the Vita/PS4 combo, and play 3DS games on the go.

The NX could be getting the 3DS version.

What if the NX is a hot dog that plays AM radio?

silva1991

a66f9d4524d61971bd61d48323253a73.gif

Well, Bloodbourne is out already (and Yakuza 5 is yet to be out on NA); so i guess it's a list of upcoming japanese-made games for NA. No idea why DS3 is missing tho :p

Or maybe most people in this tread don't care about the souls games :p

edit: M_Night just added DS3.

Square does consider the Heroes games to be ARPG's.

Interesting. are Warrior Orochi games considered ARPGs too?

I'm definitely buying DQ Heroes day 1 when it comes over.

Go_Ly_Dow

Missing released stuff like Bloodborne, FFX/X-2 HD, FF Type-0 and...
EPISODE DUSCAE

List is for stuff that is still not announced Worldwide...which is why DQH1 is on it!

FFXIV is included as it will be supported with new content for the forseeable future.

aadiboy

Two questions:

1. Why is the NX release tentative? Seems like a stupid idea to announce a game for a platform that you still haven't decided will actually get the game.

2. How is Japan reacting to the multi-platform release? I'm assuming they don't give a shit about the PS4 release (even though it looks amazing) and everyone is going to buy the 3DS version.

- FF XIV
- FF XV
- FF VII Remake
- Kingdom Hearts III
- Nier 2
- Dragon Quest X
- Dragon Quest XI
- Shenmue 3
- Persona 5
- Tales of Zestiria
- Tales of Berseria
- Ys 8
- Star Ocean 5
- Disgaea 5
- Project SETSUNA
- Yoru no Nai Kuni
- World of Final Fantasy
- Yakuza 5
- Trailers in the Sky 2
- The Last Guardian
- Level 5 RPG
- Other announced things
- Dark Souls 3

PS4 is a JRPG box xD

Two questions:

1. Why is the NX release tentative? Seems like a stupid idea to announce a game for a platform that you still haven't decided will actually get the game.

2. How is Japan reacting to the multi-platform release? I'm assuming they don't give a shit about the PS4 release and everyone is going to buy the 3DS version.

I would like to know this, too. I'm not expecting any buzz for the PS4 version, but it would still be nice to hear.

Top Bottom