• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 7 and 8 for 3DS show up on Amazon [Update: Confirmed]

Literally the only thing that is a downgrade is the resolution. It's better in every other way, and the music is a much better recording as well.

Wait, it sounds better than the NA PS2 release? That's really impressive, if I'm understanding that correctly.

Kazerei

Banned
DQM 1 + 2 remake localization when?

Yes please! Pokemon and Yo-Kai Watch ain't got nothing on Dragon Quest Monsters. I can spend forever fusing monsters to create the best monster with all the right abilities and optimal stats. So addictive.

TEJ

I said i'd buy both physical and digital of each if released in america and i'm keeping my word.

I'm half tempted to buy heroes in spite of my lack of a ps4 at the moment just to support the franchise in the west. I'm hoping this means dq11 ps4/3ds might come to the west.

magnetic

It's faster by default, and on top of that, it has a new high speed mode.

Does it get as fast as the DQ DS ports? That's my baseline for a good turn based speed. Persona Q was so frustrating to play with all the forced pauses between each actions, whereas Etrian Untold had a super quick setting that I absolutely loved.

Arkeband

Banned
Literally the only thing that is a downgrade is the resolution. It's better in every other way, and the music is a much better recording as well.

Well

And the concessions being on the 3DS brings, like jaggies everywhere, lower draw distance, crappier models, etc.

Gameplay might be improved, but boiling it's aesthetic changes down to "literally only resolution" isn't quite right.

Im still confused on the recording quality since the NA version definitely had the recorded philharmonic OST, only the Japanese version had the sequenced versions.

This is the kind of thing I was thinking about:

kIEasyu.jpg

Not sure whether the PS2 screenie there is from an emu or not and thus higher res then it should be, but it's not that I'm talking about - there's clearly content on the ps2 that isn't on the 3ds version - grass, trees etc.

Was this put back in the final version?

magnetic

Well

And the concessions being on the 3DS brings, like jaggies everywhere, lower draw distance, crappier models, etc.

Gameplay might be improved, but boiling it's aesthetic changes down to "literally only resolution" isn't quite right.

Im still confused on the recording quality since the NA version definitely had the recorded philharmonic OST, only the Japanese version had the sequenced versions.

https://youtu.be/sqAuS38Rlj8

There are some textures missing here and there, but it looks better than some people here make it sound, considering it's on 3DS. Being on a handheld for quick pick up and play sessions is a massive plus for me.

kIEasyu.jpg

Not sure whether the PS2 screenie there is from an emu or not and thus higher res then it should be, but it's not that I'm talking about - there's clearly content on the ps2 that isn't on the 3ds version - grass, trees etc.

The trees go back when you walk closer to them. The foliage draw distance is reduced but you get visible enemies, it's a way worthwhile tradeoff.

Photo of my TV fyi.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
https://youtu.be/sqAuS38Rlj8

There are some textures missing here and there, but it looks better than some people here make it sound, considering it's on 3DS. Being on a handheld for quick pick up and play sessions is a massive plus for me.

I think that's the most disingenuous comparison I've ever seen though, with the ultra high resolution emulation on the one side and a blown up 3DS screen on the other.

Edit: Perhaps not, was thinking of a different "comparison" video. Can't tell here on my phone.

magnetic

I think that's the most disingenuous comparison I've ever seen though, with the ultra high res emulation on the one side and a blown up 3DS screen on the other.

And yet the 3DS version still doesn't look that much of a downgrade, which is my point. But yeah, that upscaled PS2 emulation is pretty silly.

In any case, it's a rather cartoony game, it's not like a few missing blades of grass completely ruin the immersion.

And I'm not even that much in DQ to begin with, I just find it odd that some people immediately start nitpicking the port that many people have been begging so long for. Maybe the mobile ports made people more careful?

It is draw distance that is the issue not necessarily content. Trees and grasses pop up much more on the 3DS version. But there are visible enemies on screen.

The trees go back when you walk closer to them. They foliage draw distance is reduced but you get visible enemies, it's a way worthwhile tradeoff.

Ah, that's not too bad then. But the grass is totally gone?

Photo of my TV fyi.

If it's good enough for IGN... :D

It is draw distance that is the issue not necessarily content. Trees and grasses pop up much more on the 3DS version. But there are visible enemies on screen.

Understood for the trees, but the grass is right below him, so surely that's not a draw distance issue?

Sayad

Good thing I waited for this instead of playing the PS1 version of DQ7.

I think that's the most disingenuous comparison I've ever seen though, with the ultra high resolution emulation on the one side and a blown up 3DS screen on the other.
Dunno, that box seems inline with PS2 res:
aspectratio.png

480 vs 720, unless the game ran at lower res on PS2.

ys45

Can't believe we will finally get these 2 games !
I had DQ 7 and 8 in my backlog for so long lol

Is it safe to assume that we could get Dragon Quest Builder and XI if they are localizing these 2 ?

Can't believe we will finally get these 2 games !
I had DQ 7 and 8 in my backlog for so long lol

Is it safe to assume that we could get Dragon Quest Builder and XI if they are localizing these 2 ?

Since it looks like these are being published by Nintendo, the fate of Builders, which is a Playstation platform only title, is still uncertain. This does make it more likely that at least the 3DS version of XI will come out in the West.

Frodo

Those two games coming to the west were the biggest Direct surprise for me. I had given up on hope already.

Aeana

Well

The 3DS version has a brand new symphonic recording done in a studio rather than a concert hall. The NA music was taken directly from the Symphonic Suite CD which wasn't a very good recording to begin with, even from a concert hall.

Kouriozan

Well I'm more excited for VII than VIII since I already played the latter but going to buy both day one.
The high speed mode sound sweet to get to the new contents faster though.
The 3DS version has a brand new symphonic recording done in a studio rather than a concert hall. The NA music was taken directly from the Symphonic Suite CD which wasn't a very good recording to begin with, even from a concert hall.
Oh, that's why it sounded kinda off.

Arkeband

Banned

YouTubers need to get on uploading the 3DS OST so I can hear the differences.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
This doesn't feel like real life, but those Amazon order confirmation emails are definitely legit.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
FUCKING FINALLY!

I wasnt able to watch the Direct yesterday, but yeah, this really made my day when I went in without any spoilers. So glad this is finally coming. Incidently, I am struggling against the final boss of DQ6 for DS these days, so this fits perfectly for me since I never played the original.

I'm buying both 7 and 8 for great justice. Finally will be able to play DQ8 portable without a simple battle taking ten minutes. (talking about the ios port)

wrowa

I wasn't a fan of DQVIII in the past, but I hope high speed mode will change this now. Even if I'll still end up not liking it much, it's still a no-brainer of a purchase just to reward them for bringing over VII.

sörine;185349536 said:
IX won't be ported according to Horii because it's too reliant on Streetpass and smartphones don't have a built in equivalent.

Weird. I don't think I even once used streetpass in IX, as I didn't know anyone else with a DS at the time.

RM8

That's a lot of RPG in both games :0 Sadly I can't do it these days... RPGs don't keep me interested for so long unless they're SRPGs, ARPGs or Monster collecting RPGs. You know, like DQM :(

I'm still buying VIII and never finishing it, lol.

That's a lot of RPG in both games :0 Sadly I can't do it these days... RPGs don't keep me interested for so long unless they're SRPGs, ARPGs or Monster collecting RPGs. You know, like DQM :(

I'm still buying VIII and never finishing it, lol.

Same boat as you interest wise, same boat as you money wasting wise haha.

georly

I've never finished a DQ game, but I've always wanted to beat 8. Got it on PS2, made it to the boss of like the first or second dungeon and died and had to restart the whole thing and I never played the game ever again. Got halfway through 9, never beat it.

A part of me wants to buy 8, but a part of me knows i'll probably never beat it :/

Maybe being on 3DS will help.

My backlog is so huge though ;_;

Zee-Row

Banned
Is the opening of Dragon Quest VII just as long as the original? I remember it taking a few hours before you even get into the first random battle.

Top Bottom