• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma Online revealed - PS3/PS4/PC, MMO-ish, F2P, 4-player parties

There's just no way to know if they're balancing it "honestly" is what I'm saying, at least for this type of game. There's no unbaised gauge for what's reasonable. I just don't see how once you introduce the ability to skip ahead via payments, you can disassociate this from the balancing equation. It's hard to balance the stats/weapons/experience game completely separate from the pricing when these affect the overall experience significantly. If it was something like a fighting game where you can pay to not have to play the story mode for a character unlock, that's a whole different beast. However, I think it's far more complicated for an online MMO or RPG where leveling up has such a huge impact on the experience.
You will know if it's done well because you can play the game for free. If that's too much time for you to spend with a game, then you can just wait for like, 2 days, and you will have your answer on microtransactions.

And I have no idea why you are making this more complicated than it is. Balance the game like a normal RPG, give the players equipment that is on their level, and let them buy higher level equipment if they want to progress faster. Done.

Won't be released in the West? What?

GAF is just overreacting, as always.

Kssio_Aug

MS & Capcom were pretty tight early last gen and i thought that partnership would continue into this gen (Dead Rising 3)

I just hope to see a Dead Rising 4. I don't even care if its exclusive for XB1 or multiplatform, but DR3 was damn good!

Not sure if thats gonna happen though. It seems MS partnetship with Capcom is over. Other then DMC, I think all Capcom announced games are going to any platform but Xbox.

grumble

"Moneyhat" is a fallacious concept in and of itself, given that nothing in this industry (or the world around it) is free. Games are bought and paid for. "Moneyhat" is a played out buzzword for "a game that was funded by a company I dislike".

I always thought moneyhat referred to games that would have been made anyways and where the publisher was bribed to not release it on a given set of platforms, either temporarily or for good.

EGOMON

Guys calm down i know they said no plans for the west but we heard about this game first when people discovered the EU and US trademark couple of months ago, i think they are focusing on JP right now but am pretty sure it will come to the west this game sold very well over here.
Even if Capcom is stupid enough not to port it, Sony will no doubt do it

Loxley

I'm only annoyed at the F2P thing because I know I'm going to play this if it gets localized. I really want more Dragon's Dogma...but I was hoping for a direct (single-player) sequel. Man, first Deep Down and now this.

Derpyduck

Banned
F2P, Cross Gen, MMO, no western release, Always Online...

Ok.

Yeah, this sounds terrible. I'll gladly take a remaster of the original game with the DLC though as long as a competent dev does the remaster. Don't need another juddery, tearing mess.

F4r0_Atak

Considering that reports were that the game wasn't coming together of say the chances were high. Everyone always wants to believe that every cancelled game would have been the best thing ever but the reality is that most of the time they were probably canned for a reason.

I know that, but I had more hopes for Stig's new Ip than Bungie's Destiny Ip, since Stig created and directed the best God of War gameplay//combat wise. Also, the fact that both were tp be SCI-FI themed, but to me, only Destiny looked like a generic but back then pretty game.

MS & Capcom were pretty tight early last gen and i thought that partnership would continue into this gen (Dead Rising 3)

Tight as in offered more money than Sony and were willing to fund/partly fund new IP without asking for the IP in exchange.

Now it's Sony that's willing to fund Capcom IP without asking for the IP.

I always thought moneyhat referred to games that would have been made anyways and where the publisher was bribed to not release it on a given set of platforms, either temporarily or for good.

"Money hat" doesn't mean anything. It originated from a penny arcade punchline from like 10 years ago. Having these debates about trying to pin down a specific definition for it is sorta absurd.

I wonder if you can play offline.

That would likely open the game up to save editing abuse to skip the microtransactions. Gonna assume it online only and data stored on servers.

"Money hat" doesn't mean anything. It originated from a penny arcade punchline from like 10 years ago. Having these debates about trying to pin down a specific definition for it is sorta absurd.

You know it is an age old saying that applies to anything, right?

After seeing various Capcom micro-transactions in other f2p titles ($60 smurfberries for everyone!) and even the micro-transactions invading Revelations 2 (pay to continue exactly where you died instead of a checkpoint!) I have little to no hope in this.

Goddamn it Capcom.

studyguy

This is basically Monster Hunter Frontier.
I'd rather not try that again, played for two years and the P2W bits were terrible along with the increased grind.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Not like this... :|

Also why the fuck is it cross-gen? Come ON, leave the last gen behind already. This gen has to be the one that got held back by the previous one the most so far...

ilium

online co-op is an evolution of the DD franchise that just makes sense and i always expected that the next entry would have that.
online structure sounds like PSO, which is awesome.
microtransaction can go many ways, we'll see.

i'm pretty excited!

Stephen-Colbert-Give-It-To-Me.gif

That would likely open the game up to save editing abuse to skip the microtransactions. Gonna assume it online only and data stored on servers.

You know it is an age old saying that applies to anything, right?

But what does it mean? Does it only apply to finished games? Does it only apply to games in development? Does it apply if a game was going to be planned for another console but we didn't know about it? What if we did know about it? Most of the time it boils down to "company I didn't like made a business deal with a company I may or may not like". It has no real meaning people just try to force it into their narrative on a case by case basis.

F4r0_Atak

I just hope to see a Dead Rising 4. I don't even care if its exclusive for XB1 or multiplatform, but DR3 was damn good!

Not sure if thats gonna happen though. It seems MS partnetship with Capcom is over. Other then DMC, I think all Capcom announced games are going to any platform but Xbox.

I guess MS publishing the game Scalebound, made by former comrades (Platinum Games), must be a deal-breaker for Capcom.

Very glad this is coming out (and it sounds like a genuine, serious effort from Capcom), but also very glad that Hideaki Itsuno is clearly where he belongs: working on the Devil May Cry series.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
And while I don't want to be among those who think "is this Deep Down?!!!", I can't help but wonder why Capcom are going the F2P MMO route. Deep Down will play very differently, of course, what with being procedurally generated and with that idiotic modern AssCreed-like framing, but it's still another medieval fantasy F2P MMO by Capcom. Seems like they're diluting their own market.

It's a good thing we still platformers today and RPGs are dead, oh wait...

FF7 changed the industry Mario 64 didn't, even to this day RPGs still uses the FF7 formula how many 3D platformers have you played lately?
Wrong thread?

Definitely. It's not like the last F2P Dragons Dogma spin-off skipped the west

Yeah, that AAA game that every fan wanted. I guess you're right, if THAT didn't come out here then this little game will not either, I mean, this looks like something I'd play on Facebook or something, such a nothing game.

online co-op is an evolution of the DD franchise that just makes sense and i always expected that the next entry would have that.
online structure sounds like PSO, which is awesome.
microtransaction can go many ways, we'll see.

i'm pretty excited!

Stephen-Colbert-Give-It-To-Me.gif

Yeah it does sound like PSO, which sounds awful. I hate seeing other players in hub areas doing stupid shit, trying to break the game.

Top Bottom