• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma Online revealed - PS3/PS4/PC, MMO-ish, F2P, 4-player parties

I don't know why Capcom needs two FTP fantasy MMOs.

So they can continue to ignore their catalog of amazing single player games unless somebody pays them to make it.

So all hope for DD2 on PS4 is dead then. Nice.

image.php

Elandyll

Banned
Good news that it's being made at all frankly.

As per not seeing it in the west, come on people. A Franchise like Dragon's Dogma (though a tad niche) ... What's the chance of not seeing Sony stepping in and publishing it if Capcom won't?

Pretty small I'd say.

Heck, for an online-only F2P they coud have SOE publish it (for both PS3/ PS4 and PC) and thus have SCEA/ SCEE remain hardware specific (not that they have to in the grand scheme of things).

Interfectum

Good news that it's being made at all frankly.

As per not seeing it in the west, come on people. A Franchise like Dragon's Dogma (though a tad niche) ... What's the chance of not seeing Sony stepping in and publishing it if Capcom won't?

Pretty small I'd say.

Dragon Quest and Phantasy Star seem like pretty big franchises too, though. Some of those never made it to the U.S. I don't see any guarantee this game will make it over.

Hulohot

Neo Member
Is it possible that the gameplay will be..
How do I put this... Tailored to Japanese tastes considering they are apparently not considering a western launch? Dragons dogma clearly had western influences in its action gameplay, hopefully it will feel the same.

Elandyll

Banned
Dragon Quest and Phantasy Star seem like pretty big franchises too, though. Some of those never made it to the U.S. I don't see any guarantee this game will make it over.

But aren't those 2 franchises huge more specifically in Japan though?
Dragon Dogma did well in Japan (about 400k units), but according to the sale # I checked it did more than 2x the sales in the rest of the world (total WW sales around 1.3m).

Nothing's guaranteed of course, but I would be surprised if the game didn't make it to NA and Europe.

VariantX

Why do you care?

It will also be on PC and PS4. I dont see an issue with letting people who only have a PS3.

If it has cross play then that will mean an even bigger community.

You're probably going to have memory and other limitations of the PS3 possibly dictating the scope and potential of the PS4/PC versions.

Nemmy

I don't know how to feel about this.

Another game in the franchise I thought dead, FUCK YES
"Plays like Dragon's Dogma", FUCK YES
Online but pawns are still an option, whew!
Free to play, please don't make it pay to win Capcom
Not coming to the West? Or is it? And released on the PCs where the original game never showed up? The fuck?

And... I kinda wanted to see Dragon's Dogma 2. Like, an actual sequel, someday. So I can see why some people are all FUCK NO in the thread :(

Is it possible that the gameplay will be..
How do I put this... Tailored to Japanese tastes considering they are apparently not considering a western launch? Dragons dogma clearly had western influences in its action gameplay, hopefully it will feel the same.

The fuck?

The type of gameplay in Dragon's Dogma is Japanese through and through. Have you ever played DMC? It's kinda like that, but more tailored for an open world RPG.

Western "action gameplay" is shit like Skyrim.

Interfectum

But aren't those 2 franchises huge more specifically in Japan though?
Dragon Dogma did well in Japan (about 400k units), but according to the sale # I checked it did more than 2x the sales in the rest of the world (total WW sales around 1.3m).

Nothing's guaranteed of course, but I would be surprised if the game didn't make it to NA and Europe.

I think being completely online oriented makes the process exponentially more complex and costly (servers, store front, CC processing, etc). It's not going to be worth it for them to release in NA and only nab ~300,000 players and 1% of whom only spend a few bucks online.

We'll see though.

Darknight

I feel Sony is the only one able to get DDHD on PS4 or DD2 become a reality at this point with some $$ thrown to Capcom. MS and Sony should just like give some money together so it comes out to PS4/XB1.

BadWolf

No, but it happened with BF4. The simple act of having the player using a side arm along with the riot shield gadget was made impossible because the ps3/360 didnt have enough memory to allow both items to be used at once

Then I see no issue if an MMO of FFXIV's caliber didn't have a problem.

Wasn't BF4 an all around huge fuck up?

TheHall

Even if this doesn't come to the west, it doesn't really matter since the US is technically to the east of japan anyway

Haunted

F2P? MMO? Cross-gen?

giphy.gif
You can look at it as a promising singleplayer franchise getting shat upon by being thrown into the mobile/social microtransaction ghetto.

Or you can look at it as the state-of-the-art Monster Hunter game we never got with the fourth generation of MH.

Top Bottom