• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma Online revealed - PS3/PS4/PC, MMO-ish, F2P, 4-player parties

Bizzquik

Come on Crapcom give me PS4/XBone/PC Remaster , not this online nonsence :-(

This.
I would even settle for a bare-minimum port, to be honest. Even the same kind of half-assed Capcom release like when RE4 came to 7th Gen consoles after debuting on 6th Gen consoles.

Does anyone ever get excited about a Free-to-Play, micro-transaction-filled quasi-MMORPG...? No.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
For all the shit Capcom gets, Dragon's Dogma was seriously one of the best things they've done in years. It deserved way better than it got, and certainly deserves better than a future as a F2P title.

It was their second largest development team after Resident Evil 6, and was in development for 3-4 years.

This was pretty much the only option a cautious company would be willing to take.

This.
I would even settle for a bare-minimum port, to be honest. Even the same kind of half-assed Capcom release like when RE4 came to 7th Gen consoles after debuting on 6th Gen consoles.

Does anyone ever get excited about a Free-to-Play, micro-transaction-filled quasi-MMORPG...? No.

Right here, this guy. I don't mind F2P games done right. And I certainly don't mind F2P games that aren't P2W. Since none of the info has me concerned, I'm fully on the Dragons Dogma Online hype train!

Sendero

Sad that Sony didn't work with Capcom and help them release Deep Down and new DD as proper full titles with multiplayer elements embedded. Specially post Dark Souls era. With the right marketing, both games would have been nice exclusives to tout against XBOX one.

Still, can't believe they have not yet ported the original DD to PC. A natural pairing.

I admit I was curious to try out the next Dragon's Dogma game after I heard so many positive things about the first game.

However the combination of cross-gen, F2P and microtranstions in a MMO-ish setting just sends up too many alarm bells for me to give this game a chance. Kinda reminds me of like a deal with the devil sort of thing.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-01-27-dragons-dogma-online-revealed

A Capcom UK representative told Eurogamer this morning that there are no plans to release Dragon's Dogma Online in the west, so don't hold your breath.

CAAAAAAAPCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

tumblr_lr82dhu2w81qk6usbo1_500.jpg

With Capcom being notorious for letting cheaters hack leaderboards on games (like the recent resident evil 00:00:00 speedrun times and others in the past) including on PS4. . . what will happen when ppl hack credits and boosts other ppl pay real money for?

Or another hack that cheats in another way.

It would put them off playing the game altogether and end up with no one paying for anything and playing altogether out of rebellion.

Even the original dragons dogma had hacked pawns on 360/PS3 not letting you get to grigori ur-dragon since they where invincible and the next scene couldn't trigger without them dying. But this would be on a next level. Just putting it out there. Hopefully the hackable things are inaccessible because they're server side?

Grief.exe

With Capcom being notorious for letting cheaters hack leaderboards on games (like the recent resident evil 00:00:00 speedrun times and others in the past) including on PS4. . . what will happen when ppl hack credits and boosts other ppl pay real money for?

Or another hack that cheats in another way.

It would put them off playing the game altogether and end up with no one paying for anything and playing altogether out of rebellion.

Even the original dragons dogma had hacked pawns on 360/PS3 not letting you get to grigori ur-dragon since they where invincible and the next scene couldn't trigger without them dying. But this would be on a next level. Just putting it out there. Hopefully the hackable things are inaccessible because they're server side?

Those games you referenced weren't always online, people were just hacking the save files on their consoles.

Significantly more difficult to hack a character stored on a server.

Well I'm pretty sure we all just want a Dragons dogma 2,
but this just might be the very first FTP game I'm ever going to play.

I'm not sure if I pay for anything considering that capcom might
make a physical copy one day with all the micro transactions included for free.

TalonJH

Anybody who thinks Deep Down is/was Dragon's Dogma has either never played Dragon's Dogma, or had their memory wiped after playing it. Deep Down looks and plays NOTHING like a Dragon's Dogma game lol.

Anyways...FUCK YES. Capcom, please don't make me regret this massive amount of hype I just let enter my body.

I agree but I wouldn't been surprised if they scraped Deep Down and used some assets for Dragon's Dogma. But yeah, two totally different games. It's strange that people think they looked similar. If anything I would compare Deep Down to a Dark Souls type game.

Krabboss

Do you hate the Monster Hunter series that much?

I guess it might sound like I do if I want a free to play version. People aren't exactly in love with MHO, although I've heard it's a close enough approximation even in its beta state. If it was up to me, though, it wouldn't be free to play.

I'd rather Dragon's Dogma Online wasn't free to play as well. It'd reduce the chances of it being shitty.

Puflwiz

Banned
Yup, just what I'm thinking. I didn't mind Dark Arisen offering Rift Crystals or a bunch of extra equipment as microtransactions, and I think a f2p Dragon's Dogma could work the Path of Exile way. Heck, I'd probably even buy some vanity items to have the best looking Arisen out there.
But they can so very easily ruin the game with this. And this is Capcom we're talking about.

Having the whole game free and paying for Cosmetics and Experince Boosters would probably be the best way to go about it. IE: Dota 2 and Path of Exile (as you said). But knowing Capcom, it's probably gonna have some cooldown timer between missions of some sort. I just wish it was a co-op Dragon's Dogma 2 that I can just pay $60 for.

Why would release it on PC if they don't have plans for the west? Dosn't make sense considering the current japan PC market (I know about PSO 2, but let's face it, that's a very nonsensical case).

Considering the bulk of sales of the first game cames from the west seems a crazy idea, I'm pretty sure the "no plans" means "we didn't announce it yet".

jackal27

Banned
Why Capcom? Why would you do this? This is literally EVERYTHING I didn't want for Dragon's Dogma. You release your most promising (not to mention profitable) new IP in years and then chuck it in the garbage.

This is so very Capcom.

Kyoufu

Why Capcom? Why would you do this? This is literally EVERYTHING I didn't want for Dragon's Dogma. You release your most promising (not to mention profitable) new IP in years and then chuck it in the garbage.

This is so very Capcom.

Lost Planet and Dead Rising were far more profitable. Dogma's development costs were high and it barely sold over a million worldwide.

You don't have the decency to make it DD2 or release Dark Arisen in PS4/PC and THEN you say "no plans to release in West"

LlhvgZR.gif

This is my new MML3. Fuck you Capcom. I ain't buying any of your shit.

Servbot24

Banned
What on earth is the reason for releasing a F2P game only in certain regions? There aren't any manufacturing and shipping costs right?

Caffeine

a dragons dogma game finally comes to pc and they region lock it ? wtf smh capcom is literally the biggest example of how not to run a business in gaming.

Kyoufu

It sold over 2.2 million actually.

1.4 million before Dark Arisen, which was a budget release so their overall profits weren't so hot (it ended up on PS+ soon after). Their development costs were massive and had high expectations for the game.

If they made a healthy amount of money from the game they would absolutely create the sequel we all want, but being as cautious as they are they're afraid to take another risk.

Muzicfreq

Banned
Who the hell is in charge of capcom?
Make awesome games... gate it ofF from people on different console or regions...
I thought they were third party company.
Also how would not sending it west be in best intrests for them?

Top Bottom